ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa-Purdue Series...

Mar 14, 2003
Iowa closes out the season with a three game series @ Purdue Thursday-Saturday.

Iowa list their probables as Dermody, Kuebel, and TBA. The game times are 6pm, 6pm, and Noon in CST.

Iowa is 19-27 overall and 7-14 in the Big Ten. Purdue is 17-31 and 6-15 in the Big Ten. Iowa took 2/3 games from Purdue last season when Purdue was ranked #8 in the country. Iowa is coming off of taking 2/3 from Michigan State for their first Big Ten series win of the year.

According to HawkeyeSports you can still hear Iowa games on the radio on KXIC, despite what others here are saying.

I caught the post-game interview with JD Sunday, apparently things have been a little spicy between us and PU recently. It was the first I'd heard of it, anybody have details? Or was Balbinot just trying to manufacture a story?

Iowa/Purdue have had a great series as of recent...

2012 - Iowa wins 2/3 vs Purdue's best team ever probably
2011 - Purdue sweeps Iowa
2010 - Iowa sweeps Purdue, then wins another game in the BTT against them. Then Iowa wins an elimination game against Purdue to go 5-0 against them in a week and a half time.

Originally posted by IowaHawkeyeFBnBB4Life:
Iowa/Purdue have had a great series as of recent...

2012 - Iowa wins 2/3 vs Purdue's best team ever probably
2011 - Purdue sweeps Iowa
2010 - Iowa sweeps Purdue, then wins another game in the BTT against them. Then Iowa wins an elimination game against Purdue to go 5-0 against them in a week and a half time.
Correct. Iowa has had Purdue's number the last few years. (With the exception of 2011.)

Iowa defeats Purdue 2-1 in 11 innings in game one of the series.

Iowa scored one run in the 5th on a wild pitch, Purdue answered with a run in the 7th. Iowa scored the game winning run in the 11th on 2-out RBI single by Anthony Torres.

Matt Dermody in his last game as an Iowa Hawkeye went 9 2/3 innings allowing 8 hits and 1 run. Nick Hibbing closed the game out throwing 1 1/3 shutout innings.

Purdue actually thought they won the game as they hit a 3-run homer off of Nick Hibbing in the 11th that was called fair. Dahm protested the ruling and it was overturned after a meeting between the umpires. Hibbing was able to strike this batter out.

The only bad thing I noticed was that Iowa had two runners thrown out at home, sucks to give up potential runs like that.

This post was edited on 5/16 11:36 PM by IowaHawkeyeFBnBB4Life

This is from Purdue's website about the ruling on the homerun...

Purdue head coach Doug Shreiber
said his frustrations were based on the mechanics and sequence of the
call and overturned ruling. After Iowa's argument, Schreiber said the
first base umpire admitted he lost sight of the ball. The other two
umpires said they saw it as a foul ball. Schreiber said he wished the
first base umpire would not have called it a home run if he knew he lost
sight of it. Obviously, the entire Purdue team celebrated what they
thought was a walk-off home run. After the call was overturned, the
Boilers had to regroup and continue the game, clearly on the downslide
of an emotional roller coaster during an extremely tight game.

Here is a link with an interview, I can understand the frustrations if the 1st base umpire lost the ball but yet called it a HR

This post was edited on 5/16 11:39 PM by IowaHawkeyeFBnBB4Life

LINK

The Iowa Baseball Facebook page posted a highlight video of the game that included the homerun. It's pretty clear it was foul and I can understand Shreiber's disdain for the way it played out. In the end, though, they made the right call.

Iowa beats Purdue 9-5 in 10 innings to take game two and the series @ Purdue. Iowa will go for the sweep on Saturday in the season finale @ noon local time.

Iowa was up 5-2, Purdue tied it up scoring runs in the 8th and 9th innings. Nick Day hit a huge 2-out, 3 RBI double to put Iowa in command in the 10th. Josh Martsching came in in the 10th and threw a 1-2-3 inning.

Iowa is now 21-27 on the year and 9-14 in the Big Ten. If Iowa wins on Saturday they will finish alone in 8th place in the Big Ten.

Originally posted by funnyfletcher:
Hawks up 5 in top of the 4th! Looking good.
If and I mean IF Iowa hangs on to win this game, then this season really becomes one of those what if seasons....

-Iowa loses to NW 2-1 in 13 innings, where Iowa had the go ahead run in position a few times
-Iowa loses 8-7 to Penn State, when Iowa was ahead 7-1
-Iowa loses 4-3 to Michigan where Iowa was ahead 3-0 in the 7th, 3-2 in the 8th

One thing that makes a person wonder is that Anthony Torres and Bryan Niedbalski really saw no time until the last month or so of the season. Since they have been in offensively Iowa has done some good things, really makes a person go hmmm....

Well folks...Iowa sweeps Purdue by winning 5-4 today.

Iowa didn't make it easy though as Iowa led 5-0 and had one hit Purdue going into the 9th. Iowa gave up a walk and four hits in the 9th to allow Purdue to score four runs. Purdue had the tying run at 3rd and go ahead run at 1st. Purdue fouled out to the catcher to end the game.

Taylor Kaufman threw eight scoreless innings allowing just two hits, and went one batter into the 9th. One of the runs in the 9th is credited to Kaufman. Ricky Sandquist and Josh Martsching combined for the final three and nerve wrecking outs in the 9th.

Iowa's first sweep in sometime if I remember....

My guess is yes. Barta will buy JD's argument that we won 5 of the last 6 with a young team returning next year. Not the right call IMHO, but the one I think Barta will make.

I guess now the big question is if the BTN will try to screw Iowa fans again and edit out the segments of the Student-U replays this week of any Iowa scoring rallies like they did with not showing their last four scores of the first game last week. Might also be easier to do, if the Purdue students are helping to edit them as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT