ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa ranked 28th in Athlon preseason magazine

Digger1

HR Heisman
Sep 30, 2001
Released their top 30 on their podcast today. Magazine in stores June 4 but normally theses preseason mags hit the stores a week early.

1. Georgia
2. Ohio State
3. Oregon
4. Texas
5. Ole Miss
6. Alabama
7. Michigan
8. Penn State
9. Notre Dame
10. Missouri
11. LSU
12. FSU
13. Tennessee
14. Utah
15. Clemson
16. Oklahoma
17. KSU
18. Texas A&M
19. Oklahoma State
20. Miami
21. Kansas
22. USC
23. Arizona
24. Louisville
25. NC State
26. West Virginia
27. Virginia Tech
28. Iowa
29. Iowa State
30. Liberty

we have a chance at the CFP, imo.

this could be a 10-2 or 11-1 regular season if all goes well....

Iowa's 2024 schedule:​

• vs. Illinois State, August 31, 2024
  • vs. Iowa State, September 7, 2024
  • vs. Troy, September 14, 2024
  • at Minnesota, September 21, 2024
............................Sep 28 BYE.............................................
  • at Ohio State, October 5, 2024
  • vs. Washington, October 12, 2024
  • at Michigan State, October 19, 2024
  • vs. Northwestern, October 26, 2024
  • vs. Wisconsin, November 2, 2024
  • at UCLA, November 8, 2024
............................Nov 16 BYE.............................................
  • at Maryland, November 23, 2024
  • vs. Nebraska, November 29, 2024

Iowa win total in Vegas is 7.5.
8.0 at Caesar’s, which is where I placed my bet, as it pays +110.

Two things that have become accepted truths about Iowa that I would strongly argue against:

#1 “They can’t hide in the Big Ten West anymore”. This is really overblown. We had the best record against the B1G East of any team in the West. It isn’t like Iowa is suddenly going to start playing tough schedules. We’ve done it before. 2019 our 3 losses were to teams that combined to win 30 games and we beat top 5 Minnesota. Plenty of instances where we played at least two of the “Big 3” from the East and managed to survive. Oregon is the only newcomer that concerns me, and the bigger conference dilutes everyone’s schedule.

#2 This belief that who we’ve been the last three seasons is who Iowa Football has always been, and will always be. We’re being handicapped like BF and Deacon are still in Iowa City. This was a uniquely bad stretch. No, we’re not a cradle of explosive offenses, but we’ve been at the very least competent.

Wow, with the traditional home field +3 that means they have the clones as a slight favorite on a neutral field. Not seeing it.

I'd read that Iowa gets more than the regular 3pt line at home, Kinnick being worth more like 4.
Yep, they’re capping this game like BF is our OC and Deacon is at QB. Coop was an incredible player, and it’s hard to quantify what we lose without him. But comparing the betting lines between the 2023 & 2024 games (Iowa -6 or so on a neutral field in 2023, ISU -1.5 on a neutral in 2024), Vegas thinks ISU has gained 7-8 points on Iowa? Yeah, no.

Their OC got hired onto an NFL staff. Our OC was fired and is now an analyst at a program that is a slight step down. The market told everyone how the football community views Scheelhaase and Brian.

That line is bonkers.

Released their top 30 on their podcast today. Magazine in stores June 4 but normally theses preseason mags hit the stores a week early.

1. Georgia
2. Ohio State
3. Oregon
4. Texas
5. Ole Miss
6. Alabama
7. Michigan
8. Penn State
9. Notre Dame
10. Missouri
11. LSU
12. FSU
13. Tennessee
14. Utah
15. Clemson
16. Oklahoma
17. KSU
18. Texas A&M
19. Oklahoma State
20. Miami
21. Kansas
22. USC
23. Arizona
24. Louisville
25. NC State
26. West Virginia
27. Virginia Tech
28. Iowa
29. Iowa State
30. Liberty
Wow! No Nebraska.

ESPN has Iowa ranked #23 in the country and the 5th best team in the B1G.

Of the 4 B1G teams ranked ahead of Iowa, we only play one of them in the regular season: Ohio State. That is why I think 11-1 or 10-2 is totally possible.

8 of the 18 B1G teams are mentioned in what follows.

College Football post-spring Top 25 Rankings

i

Mark Schlabach,
ESPN Senior Writer
May 20, 2024

1. Georgia
2. Ohio State
3. Texas
4. Oregon
5. Notre Dame
6. Ole Miss
7. Alabama
8 Missouri
9. Utah
10. Michigan
11. Florida State
12. Penn State
13. NC State
14. LSU
15. Tennessee
16. Clemson
17. Kansas State
18. Oklahoma
19. Oklahoma State
20. Arizona
21. Virginia Tech
22. Kansas

23. Iowa Hawkeyes

Spring update: Who got a louder roar in Iowa City this past spring? Former college women's basketball star Caitlin Clark when she led Iowa to the national championship game? Or football coach Kirk Ferentz when he announced the Hawkeyes were taking new offensive coordinator Tim Lester's playbook and "going with it"? Under Brian Ferentz, the former offensive coordinator and coach's son, the Hawkeyes ranked 132nd in the FBS in scoring (15.4 points) and 130th in passing (118.6 yards) last season. Somehow, they finished 10-4 and played Michigan for a Big Ten title. Imagine what they'll do if they average 21 points? Quarterback Cade McNamara was limited in the spring after tearing the ACL in his left knee in early October. The receiver room is thin, and Ferentz said the offensive line needs to do a better job blocking. But at least they know coordinator Phil Parker's defense is going to be salty with eight starters back.

24. Miami
25. USC

New teams in:
Virginia Tech, Iowa, USC
Dropped out: Louisville, Kentucky, Texas A&M

Just missed: Wisconsin, West Virginia, Texas A&M, Louisville, Kentucky, Washington, Boise State, Air Force, Liberty

I think we can be better than some think.

But, also, I never take preseason rankings in college football very seriously. Even if they are using have new age methods they are so wrong basically every year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT