ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa ranks second in the nation for excessive drinking

fredjr82

HR Legend
Gold Member
Nov 13, 2007
Iowa ranked second in the nation when it comes to excessive drinking, according to a new report from the Governor’s Office of Drug Control Policy.

Nearly 23 percent of Iowans reported binge or heavy drinking.

The report defines heavy drinking as eight or more drinks a week for women, and 15 or more for men.

Binge-drinking is defined as four to five drinks or more on one occasion in the last 30 days.

The report also shows 60 percent said they are drinking more since the pandemic, and 45 percent cited stress as a reason.

Have u tried to watch a Brian Ferentz offense sober? Not recommended.

Actually, this year tips it past where most of the Brian Ferentz OC games I've seen were sober. Watching a lot of Kings and NFL games the rest of this year is how I'm getting by.

Oh. I was doing that many a day.

15 a day? I like to indulge but luckily never fell into the day drinking during working hours. A bloody mary sounded good but I would have probably been right there with you.

Reactions: Moral
A reported 22.8% of Iowa adults report binge or heavy drinking. The report defines heavy drinking as eight or more drinks per week for women and 15 or more for men.

Binge drinking is defined as four to five drinks or more on one occasion in the last 30 days.

This is laughable.

LOL. Yes it is. Four to Five drinks on one occasion in the last 30 days!? Lulz.

Reactions: Hammer93
15 a day? I like to indulge but luckily never fell into the day drinking during working hours. A bloody mary sounded good but I would have probably been right there with you.
15 is only a fifth of liquor. One fifth of liquor sounds a lot less daunting than 15 drinks, and by chilling the liquor and chasing chilled shots with cocktails, it is.

• Haha
Reactions: fredjr82

I managed to not drink at work. I just went to town as soon as I got out of work. Thankfully, I actually managed to go sober before I turned yellow.

I managed to not drink at work. I just went to town as soon as I got out of work. Thankfully, I actually managed to go sober before I turned yellow.
giphy.gif

• Love
Reactions: fredjr82 and Moral
Do you ever wonder (proudly or regretfully) if
your legacy as a drunk poster is what's inspired a new generation of Iowa drunks and contributed to our sustained success in this study?

Reactions: Moral
Kim Reynolds says "only #2? Hold my beer".

And then drives to the nearest liquor store.

Guys, guys...awwwwww, she knows all about addiction. That's why she's smarter than everyone - including medical experts and those representing the people of Iowa that approved 96-3 by the House and 40-7 by the Senate for a bill expanding use of medical devil's spinach - when wanting to save Iowans from the deadly grasp of gateway drugs.

Thank you Mother Hen Reynolds. You backwards f'ing numpty.

When I go out and drink it's usually 2 to 4.

Go much over and I may feel like crap. That's probably once a week or so. A few other days with 2 or 3.

Think drinking isn't sitting so well with me anymore... don't know if it's an antihistimine intolerance or what.

Kim Reynolds says "only #2? Hold my beer".

And then drives to the nearest liquor store.
Think we'll see this stat in one of her campaign ads?

How cool would it be if she could slam down a rum and coke while jumping on her trampoline?

15 is only a fifth of liquor. One fifth of liquor sounds a lot less daunting than 15 drinks, and by chilling the liquor and chasing chilled shots with cocktails, it is.
Really never thought of it that way. I can drink 15 beers no problem and not feel a thing the next day. I drink a fifth of liquor and I'll definitely feel that.

This whole article is BS because it's based on the BS teetotaler definition of what is heavy drinking and binge drinking. Who are they to say that 4 or more drinks in a sitting is binge drinking? So if I am out playing a round of golf in a scramble and I have two beers on the front 9 and two beers on the back 9 and one beer in the clubhouse post round I'm binge drinking? GTFO with that BS. 5 drinks over 5 hours is not binge drinking. Do that a couple times a week and I'm hitting that 15 number quite easily, so now I'm a heavy drinker. They can F off.

For the record, I do drink almost daily with no issues. After work, daily chores, hitting the gym, I sat down last night and watched a couple hockey games on TNT and probably drank about 8 beers over the course of two games. No big deal. TNF tonight I'll do the same thing.

Really never thought of it that way. I can drink 15 beers no problem and not feel a thing the next day. I drink a fifth of liquor and I'll definitely feel that.

This whole article is BS because it's based on the BS teetotaler definition of what is heavy drinking and binge drinking. Who are they to say that 4 or more drinks in a sitting is binge drinking? So if I am out playing a round of golf in a scramble and I have two beers on the front 9 and two beers on the back 9 and one beer in the clubhouse post round I'm binge drinking? GTFO with that BS. 5 drinks over 5 hours is not binge drinking. Do that a couple times a week and I'm hitting that 15 number quite easily, so now I'm a heavy drinker. They can F off.

For the record, I do drink almost daily with no issues. After work, daily chores, hitting the gym, I sat down last night and watched a couple hockey games on TNT and probably drank about 8 beers over the course of two games. No big deal. TNF tonight I'll do the same thing.
I've done this math since drinking and driving could cost me my job. At my weight (235), assuming you sit in the clubhouse for 30 mins ,(ish) you would blow zeros at the station if it took them an hour to process you and you got pulled over as you were pulling out of the parking lot.

Complete bullshit.
Assuming you played a 4 hour round of golf

And I did the math as a 6 pack since our club offers 6 pack deals. ( I do the 30 minutes for the last beer as "loading the cart")

You might have a slight drinking problem bro.

I've done this math since drinking and driving could cost me my job. At my weight (235), assuming you sit in the clubhouse for 30 mins ,(ish) you would blow zeros at the station if it took them an hour to process you and you got pulled over as you were pulling out of the parking lot.

Complete bullshit.

And I did the math as a 6 pack since our club offers 6 pack deals. ( I do the 30 minutes for the last beer as "loading the cart")
I generally try to do a beer-a-hole. Those two-round days can be a little tough on the car ride home.

Complete bullshit.
Two hour front 9 and two hour back is pretty standard pace. When I walk the course and it is pretty empty I can do 9 in 1:45 pretty easily. A situation where you're playing in some scramble event you'll probably be waiting on the tee box for a moment on each hole. I'd say that's probably 2:15 per side and a 4:30 round.

And I agree with you on your math and BAC. So how do the teetotalers reconcile the fact by their definition you are a binge drinker yet you'd only blow trace to .000 in a breath test? Heavy drinking indeed.

I blame MADD for demonizing alcohol in the 1980's. It was the temperance movement reborn. LEO loved it so they could pad their revenues with easy DUI fines. Insurance companies really loved it because they get to charge higher premiums for drivers who are no bigger risk. The entire thing is a sham industry.

8 beers on a wednesday might be a bit much. I usually don't hit 8 beers over the course of a weekend.

I blame MADD for demonizing alcohol in the 1980's. It was the temperance movement reborn. LEO loved it so they could pad their revenues with easy DUI fines. Insurance companies really loved it because they get to charge higher premiums for drivers who are no bigger risk. The entire thing is a sham industry.
More reporting has been coming out on this fact in the past few years. MADD is literally an outgrowth of the original temperance movement from the early 20th Century. It's long term goal absolutely is neo-prohibition:

Reactions: Lindemann

Sounds like you’re a functioning alcoholic, kudos to you bro.

8 beers on a wednesday might be a bit much. I usually don't hit 8 beers over the course of a weekend.
You are all falling right into the trap of the teetotalers definitions of what is or isn't appropriate.

Eight beers in a weekend might be your max. That's fine, that's you. 8 beers in a night has zero effect on my lifestyle. Literally, no impact. Still hit the gym for 1.5 hours a day, walk 18 holes, work 40+ hours, raise a family, volunteer for my kid's stuff, etc, etc.

Oh, I know what the responses will be. Functioning alcoholic. See how fun it is to play the label game. Who are you to say that? Just because somebody sets the goal posts at a certain number that's the number? It's BS.

ADVERTISEMENT