ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa recruits competing at Junior Duals: Final RESULTS

Todd Conner

HR MVP
Dec 23, 2004

It is great to be an Iowa Wrestling fan.

Go Hawks!

Last edited:
Wild one with Dreshaun Ross vs Payton Thomas Oklahoma Red. Dreshaun was up in the second by like 5 after being down 4-0 early. Thomas got a reversal and hit like 3 guts. Then takes a classic and blatant as hell Oklahoma lung break with a fake medical. He is up like 16-9 at one point and Ross battles back with short time and gets a push out right before time expires to tie it at 16 and have criteria. Oklahoma challenges and loses. Last two seconds Thomas does a flying knee to the head of Ross. They assessed a misconduct of sorts and now have been stopped for a long time trying to review for some kind of further penalty on the knee to the head. Morningstar is pissed.

Wild one with Dreshaun Ross vs Payton Thomas Oklahoma Red. Dreshaun was up in the second by like 5 after being down 4-0 early. Thomas got a reversal and hit like 3 guts. Then takes a classic and blatant as hell Oklahoma lung break with a fake medical. He is up like 16-9 at one point and Ross battles back with short time and gets a push out right before time expires to tie it at 16 and have criteria. Oklahoma challenges and loses. Last two seconds Thomas does a flying knee to the head of Ross. They assessed a misconduct of sorts and now have been stopped for a long time trying to review for some kind of further penalty on the knee to the head. Morningstar is pissed.
Be thankful it’s Star and not Terry.

Thiry and Guenther lose back to back. Thiry blows a lead and Guenther gets pinned by a guy he dwarfs. Bad wrestling.

Team Iowa had a lot of weak spots as is so Ross being out really a problem. Illinois is coming out of the gate fired up and Iowa looks like they have something better to do. 8-1 Illinois after 2.

Block loses 2-1 to Kannon Webster. Got 1 off the clock but nothing close to a score otherwise. I have my doubts he can make 141 after Woods is gone and honestly I don't see him winning the 149 spot the way he has been looking. I see him as a guy that will struggle to score consistently. He doesn't have much for go to offense.

Reactions: zoe22
Block loses 2-1 to Kannon Webster. Got 1 off the clock but nothing close to a score otherwise. I have my doubts he can make 141 after Woods is gone and honestly I don't see him winning the 149 spot the way he has been looking. I see him as a guy that will struggle to score consistently. He doesn't have much for go to offense.
Agreed, I was high on him a couple year ago, but he seems to have hit a wall with his development. He seems in between weights and I’m not sure he’s got the firepower to excel at D-1. Reminds me a lot of Carter Happel

Agreed, I was high on him a couple year ago, but he seems to have hit a wall with his development. He seems in between weights and I’m not sure he’s got the firepower to excel at D-1. Reminds me a lot of Carter Happel
Ryder hurt his knee. He was clearly limping. I’m not gonna jump to conclusions but he wasn’t himself that’s for sure. Hasn’t looked right all summer imo.

Ryder hurt his knee. He was clearly limping. I’m not gonna jump to conclusions but he wasn’t himself that’s for sure. Hasn’t looked right all summer imo.

Getting his knee injury in before he hits campus
Season 6 Knowledge GIF by Friends

Final results posted.

It is great to be an Iowa Wrestling fan.

Go Hawks!

He is real thin still at 145, I can’t imagine 141 with the 1 or 2 hour weigh-ins are going to work very well. Unless he’s naturally that lean? The guys he has tough matches against are elite: Kasak, Webster, Greyson Clark, Nasir Bailey. He pretty much destroys everyone else. I guess I don’t see why he couldn’t be a future AA at this point. I don’t think Carter Happel was going close with the very best guys in the country as a high school senior, in fact I remember he wasn’t. I know you mentioned ‘firepower at D1’ level and that definitely may be an issue, we’ll see.

Reactions: IAChief32
He is real thin still at 145, I can’t imagine 141 with the 1 or 2 hour weigh-ins are going to work very well. Unless he’s naturally that lean? The guys he has tough matches against are elite: Kasak, Webster, Greyson Clark, Nasir Bailey. He pretty much destroys everyone else. I guess I don’t see why he couldn’t be a future AA at this point. I don’t think Carter Happel was going close with the very best guys in the country as a high school senior, in fact I remember he wasn’t. I know you mentioned ‘firepower at D1’ level and that definitely may be an issue, we’ll see.
Didn’t Webster just beat Jesse Mendez?

I can’t imagine him making 141 in almost a year and a half and being effective at all. By then he will probably be cutting a fair amount for 149 to compete against Estrada and Rathjen. Don’t think he’s beating anyone out above 149 anytime soon, unless Ferrari leaves, so he better hope he stops growing! He would have nice length for 149, and Estra is short and thick, so he might have better chance at cutting, but it sounded like he would consider 157 if he wasn’t so short. Better start recruiting 141 and 133 hard.

I can’t imagine him making 141 in almost a year and a half and being effective at all. By then he will probably be cutting a fair amount for 149 to compete against Estrada and Rathjen. Don’t think he’s beating anyone out above 149 anytime soon, unless Ferrari leaves, so he better hope he stops growing! He would have nice length for 149, and Estra is short and thick, so he might have better chance at cutting, but it sounded like he would consider 157 if he wasn’t so short. Better start recruiting 141 and 133 hard.
Don't forget that 70kg World Team Member (serbia) Victor Voinovich has 3 years left as well. (Also hoping that he can continue to make 149 for those 3 years.)

23-24: VV/Rathjen/Possible Siebrecht (Block RS - Estrada HS SR)
24-25: VV/Rathjen/Possible Siebrecht/Block (Estrada RS)
25-26: VV/Rathjen/Block/Estrada

Another interesting tidit to note: If anybody happened to catch Anthony Ferrari's instagram post today of him lifting in the Iowa room, he had an interesting spotter; Kael Voinovich all decked out in Iowa gear. Obvious with the brother connection it was always a strong possibility, but seems like it's closer to official now - despite no official commitment yet (it's possible he was just here on a visit - not sure). He will be in the 149-157 range as well. Wrestled 145 this past season, looks like he's wrestled a few times this off-season at 152. (Definitely doesn't hurt that both he and Angelo are tight with Lockett).

But to your point, yes we absolutely need to recruit 133/141 hard.

I hope you are right. We’ve already got a bunch of guys that can “go close with the best guys in the country”, he’s a guy I’d love to see jump a couple levels.

Reactions: TS568
Mendez beat him for the under 20 spot.
I thought Webster beat someone good recently but couldn’t recall. He beat Mendez at U S Open and lost to Kasak in Finals. Was #1 seed at U20 team trials and lost in finals in rematch with Mendez. Block’s match with Webster was essentially even with neither wrestler coming close to takedowns.

Last edited:
Ryder hurt his left knee defending a TD in first minute of match. Got it taped and put on compression support. Tried to go but began limping badly. MStar came out from corner and immediately defaulted. If Fargo was in the plans, I would say now in doubt.

Reactions: HawkFan1986
Another interesting tidit to note: If anybody happened to catch Anthony Ferrari's instagram post today of him lifting in the Iowa room, he had an interesting spotter; Kael Voinovich all decked out in Iowa gear. Obvious with the brother connection it was always a strong possibility, but seems like it's closer to official now - despite no official commitment yet (it's possible he was just here on a visit - not sure). He will be in the 149-157 range as well. Wrestled 145 this past season, looks like he's wrestled a few times this off-season at 152. (Definitely doesn't hurt that both he and Angelo are tight with Lockett).

Kael is a solid recruit. Not a blue chipper.

Reactions: TarpHawk and MVPFAN
Kael is a solid recruit. Not a blue chipper.
I don’t see where I said he was a blue chipper. Just mentioning it for the folks who don’t use Instagram. FLO has him #73 2024 and Willie has him #53.

Mendez beat him for the under 20 spot.
They have split now with Webster winning at US Open and Mendez at WTT. Mendez is an AA so I would say that Ryder is showing ability to be right there with the best of the best as a high school senior. He’s only going to keep getting better.

Reactions: IAChief32
They have split now with Webster winning at US Open and Mendez at WTT. Mendez is an AA so I would say that Ryder is showing ability to be right there with the best of the best as a high school senior. He’s only going to keep getting better.
We'll see. I was more optimistic previously that he had developed the skills to be an impact addition to the lineup. I'm not so sold now. The lack of scoring ability vs quality opponents from neutral is troublesome and he has never had a big mat game. He obviously became injured at some point this summer so it could be a factor depending on when it occurred but he has not looked especially good this summer and he wasn't tested during the highschool season.

I don’t see where I said he was a blue chipper. Just mentioning it for the folks who don’t use Instagram. FLO has him #73 2024 and Willie has him #53.

You spoke of him like an impact guy. He will be a nice get. No doubt.

You spoke of him like an impact guy. He will be a nice get. No doubt.
Where did that happen? Maybe you should re-read my post. Was just noting another big boarder will be in the 149/157 mix, as the discussion was about Block potentially entering that weight class range if he couldn't hold 141. I think VV will be our guy for the next 3 years at 149, provided he can make the weight.

Where did that happen? Maybe you should re-read my post. Was just noting another big boarder will be in the 149/157 mix, as the discussion was about Block potentially entering that weight class range if he couldn't hold 141. I think VV will be our guy for the next 3 years at 149, provided he can make the weight.
I’m not giving up on Rathjen yet.

Even by brining him up as if it was a big deal making it an event I guess. Just my take.

Anthony Ferrari redshirting? Whew buddy. That is not going to work out well.

Caliendo makes no sense to me. Kennedy is just as good, same amount of years available. Someone is sitting on the bench. because neither is beating Caliendo and Brands is not an 84.

Welp. Good problems to have I guess
Caliendo and Kennedy are a push where I’m sitting. Caliendo didn’t have any big wins at NCAAs and all his wins were of the non-bonus variety. He had a very favorable draw. Kennedy had a very Marinelli-esque season, looking amazing in the regular season, then struggling at NCAAs. Not sure what the plan for 165 will be, but these two should beat the hell out of each other n a daily basis and make each other better.

I’m not giving up on Rathjen yet.
I had him pegged as the 157lb starter last season and was shocked when he got smoked by Siebrecht 7-0. He impressed in freestyle recently losing a close bout 11-8 vs AA Ed Scott at the World Team Trials at 70kg, he should battle Voinovich pretty tough for the starting 149lb spot. Suddenly a lot of middle weight depth in Hawkeyeland.

Last edited:
Reactions: TarpHawk
I had him pegged as the 157lb starter last season and was shocked when he got smoked by Siebrecht 7-0. He impressed in freestyle recently losing a close bought 11-8 vs AA Ed Scott at the World Team Trials at 70kg, he should battle Voinovich pretty tough for the starting 149lb spot. Suddenly a lot of middle weight depth in Hawkeyeland.
I believe the match with Siebrecht was a 1 score match before a very late situation.

I expect Voinivich, Siebrecht, & Rathjen to all go after 149. None of them are gonna challenge Franek at 157. I also expect Ferrari to RS. He could challenge for 149, but he hasn’t wrestled in competition for awhile and would probably benefit from a RS.

I believe the match with Siebrecht was a 1 score match before a very late situation.
I think you may be right. Pretty concerning that Rathjen had such difficulty scoring on Cobe. Caleb looks much better down a few pounds. Seibrecht seems pretty tall for 149, what’s he like 5’11”? Lots of contrasting styles between Seibrecht, Rathjen and Voinovich.

Reactions: TarpHawk
I think you may be right. Pretty concerning that Rathjen had such difficulty scoring on Cobe. Caleb looks much better down a few pounds. Seibrecht seems pretty tall for 149, what’s he like 5’11”? Lots of contrasting styles between Seibrecht, Rathjen and Voinovich.
He looked very lanky at 158, can’t imagine him at 149 with any muscle

Reactions: so cal hawkfan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT