ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa recruits in new MatScouts Rankings: April 4

Todd Conner

HR MVP
Dec 23, 2004

It is great to be an Iowa Wrestling fan.

Go Hawks!

This is an area where Rivals could get better. Wrestling is a hugely popular sport. If you can list the top 75 at each football position, I think you could name the top 20 recruits at each weight. There has to be someone Rivals could hire to do that.

Reactions: kkhawk
I've talked to people at several large recruiting sites. they weren't interested in wrestling.
This. Wrestling is a niche sport. If a site like Rivals isn't going to cover college baseball recruiting no way sure they going to give a second thought to wresting recruiting.

We're lucky that Tom and Blair know the importance of Iowa wresting and give us this board and pretty good coverage throughout the season.

This is an area where Rivals could get better. Wrestling is a hugely popular sport. If you can list the top 75 at each football position, I think you could name the top 20 recruits at each weight. There has to be someone Rivals could hire to do that.

Wrestling is not a hugely popular sport. Not sure where you get that idea.

Wrestling is a hugely popular sport with a relatively small segment of fans.

A rabid fan base doesn't drive subscriptions and marginal revenue to a company like Rivals. If they want to expand, wrestling wouldn't be among the first few on the list.

A rabid fan base doesn't drive subscriptions and marginal revenue to a company like Rivals. If they want to expand, wrestling wouldn't be among the first few on the list.
I don't believe I said anything to be a contrarian to that - just stated a pretty basic fact.

yeah, with the trend of some SR's not wrestling their hs seasons it's a tricky situation.

i don't want to rank them because, i mean, you can't lose if you don't wrestle. they'd just sit at their position.

however, not including them is a little bit disingenuous. so i typically split the baby and put the one that deserve to be in P4P in there.

Maybe they will but hoping guys fool the critics isn't the best plan for winning titles.
The proof is on the mat in college. We like to get to get top 25 p4p guys, however they don’t always pan out. In reality top recruits can only go down because they are expected to compete for titles. If they don’t then it’s disappointing. i.e Assad, Manville, at the end of the day there are very few can’t miss guys.

The proof is on the mat in college. We like to get to get top 25 p4p guys, however they don’t always pan out. In reality top recruits can only go down because they are expected to compete for titles. If they don’t then it’s disappointing. i.e Assad, Manville, at the end of the day there are very few can’t miss guys.
Assad wasn't that high either.

Reactions: js8793
When Assad committed to Iowa he was #13 p4p, #1 @ 182, Cadet Bronze medalist. Assad still has time.

this is true, but there is a bit of amnesia about his rise up the boards from iowa fans. outside of one weekend at cadet trials, he was not an elite recruit. pulled some huge upsets (beat starocci on criteria and then a very controversial 3 match series win over ramirez who also got hurt after dominating the first match).

Before that, he was ranked in the 80's. Following that, he took losses to winston, halvorsen, and lost rematches to starocci. He dropped down to #29 in the final class rankings. Took more losses over the summer in freestyle. He was never a sure thing elite recruit.

that 2019 class has been a trainwreck
That 5-7 of Decatur, Aragona, Chlebove is brutal. #3 Alirez has underwhelmed. Can't seem to put it together. I was super high on him. But some good value in the teens. Keckeisen, Lovett, Amine, and Bird.

I'd encourage hawk fans to go look at some big boards from the past 5 years and then look at the hit rate for guys outside the top 20. It will help you develop reasonable expectations for the kids coming in.

this is true, but there is a bit of amnesia about his rise up the boards from iowa fans. outside of one weekend at cadet trials, he was not an elite recruit. pulled some huge upsets (beat starocci on criteria and then a very controversial 3 match series win over ramirez who also got hurt after dominating the first match).

Before that, he was ranked in the 80's. Following that, he took losses to winston, halvorsen, and lost rematches to starocci. He dropped down to #29 in the final class rankings. Took more losses over the summer in freestyle. He was never a sure thing elite recruit.
Well said.

Reactions: Inthecircle

Imo as wrestling currently sits giving out your 9.9 to blue chips seems like the way to go. If they then do well and garner nil income they are probably going to be willing to give up some of that 9.9 to use elsewhere. Also nil had been used in other sports to sponsor the lower end players on the team.

I stand corrected. Thanks for your insights.
My bad MVP
Assad wasn't that high either.

Reactions: MVPFAN
I stand corrected. Thanks for your insights.
My bad MVP
he's shown some nice flashes. just needs to be more consistent and improve his finishes. got a tough draw at ncaa's. both losses to prior AA's. he's a solid top 15-20 guy which is about what you'd expect for a recruit of his profile.

Reactions: MVPFAN
he's shown some nice flashes. just needs to be more consistent and improve his finishes. got a tough draw at ncaa's. both losses to prior AA's. he's a solid top 15-20 guy which is about what you'd expect for a recruit of his profile.
True but the coaching staff is extremely tight-lipped about injuries and losing a major to the Oklahoma state guy wasn't Assad. Brooks couldn't do that. I think we have yet to see an uninjured Assad season.

Well, top 25 pans out a lot better than top 50. Top 15 pans out even better.

I’ll take ten guys who have no where to go but down against your ten from the bottom of the pile with nowhere to go but up. And we’ll smesh you every time out of 10 tries.

That 5-7 of Decatur, Aragona, Chlebove is brutal. #3 Alirez has underwhelmed. Can't seem to put it together. I was super high on him. But some good value in the teens. Keckeisen, Lovett, Amine, and Bird.

I'd encourage hawk fans to go look at some big boards from the past 5 years and then look at the hit rate for guys outside the top 20. It will help you develop reasonable expectations for the kids coming in.
I can't find links to top 50 or top 100 P4P of the past anywhere. The only thing that seems close to have something like that would be Flo and they charge to look at them.

Reactions: el dub

i mean, Aragona beat O'Toole that year. he had all the goods as i saw it. sometimes you're just left scratching your head.

Imo as wrestling currently sits giving out your 9.9 to blue chips seems like the way to go. If they then do well and garner nil income they are probably going to be willing to give up some of that 9.9 to use elsewhere. Also nil had been used in other sports to sponsor the lower end players on the team.
And bingo was his name-O…

ADVERTISEMENT