ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Running Game

WinOneThisCentury II

HR MVP
Gold Member
Sep 19, 2021
I seriously hope BF takes a long hard look at what we are doing in the run game. I've re-watched alot of games while riding my Peleton over the past month. There is no doubt in my mind that teams are reading keys in the zone blocking scheme and simply blowing up plays before they ever get started. It's amazing how many tackles for loss we gave up in either the inside zone or outside zone...it was ridiculous.

I know we were really inexperienced on the OL last year with a true freshman and a redshirt freshman starting...but it's more than that. Teams just immediately run blitz when they see that action and penetrate the gaps...and as long as they keep the backside contain for the bootleg out of it...we're screwed. Now KF will say it's execution and it is...stopping penetration when the OL guys are stepping and moving is critical, but there is no hesitation from DE's and LBs when Iowa shows that action...it's just get upfield and disrupt.

I'd like to see us do more doubling at the point of attack and more man blocking upfront with Neckroll punishing the DE and LBs. This would eliminate penetration and limit getting behind the chains after giving up tackles for loss. With the Williams brothers at RB...I think it's also better because they are more geared to running inside and getting tough yards.

The other thing that's apparent...we need short passing routes that take advantage of LBs taking two steps forward with the zone run action. Get the safeties out of the middle of the field and deeper by spreading our WRs...run the zone action...and use the space created beyond the LBs with a TE or back.

Honestly, I'd like to see him spread the field more (3-4 wideouts) and run the ball with a reduced box. I think we will have enough size and strength upfront coupled with a power back to get yardage and keep the chains moving. I'm not saying give up on the zone running game, but it's clear our QB needs to get us out of it more...just by the sheer amount of tackles for loss.

Something needs to change...you just can't start drives 2nd and 12 or 2nd and 15 as much as we do.

Well, if you were the Def Coord for an opponent playing Iowa and had lots of experience or watched a ton of tape on Iowa's run game and offense wouldn't you just play the percentages depending on down and distance to let your guys charge to a certain spot?? Slant to the direction the Iowa QB turns and you will guess the correct direction 85% of the time. And try to contain the qb bootleg with one guy.

I mean, it has been going on for years. Patty Fitz at jNW has been crowding the box and sending his lnbkrs on gap blitzes for years because of Iowa's trends. Plus he knows Iowa doesnt throw over his defense very often to burn him. Wisky, Iowa State (which is the team that used to beat us by just blitzing us to death), and so many other teams.

I and many others have been saying it for years that Iowa needs a few more counter plays in their game plan to stop the defense from teeing off on the hawk's first movement direction.

Brian has done a pretty good job of adding in the TEnd drag route behind the LOS as a very good counter play. We need a few more good counter plays and one which works well and is usually safe is the interior shovel pass.

Guys get paid fortunes to coach football, and yet message board fans often have greater insight. The OP is one example. KF is a stubborn old man. He's great at producing individual talent but not so great at developing balanced football teams. It's not that hard. It really isn't. But when you continually ignore reality, well, that's a problem.

BTW: I did say Goodson would not be drafted. Iowa's running game would improve dramatically with a power back, like the Williams kids, and scrapping of the zone blocking scheme.

Just to point out how bad we were last year in the tackles for loss given up category...we were 114 out of 130 teams last year giving up 6.93 tackles for loss per game. Having leaky tackles in the passing game certainly inflated that number...but when you go back and watch the games...it's really shocking how many times Goodson looked for the ground because he had no chance. Now, we could certainly talk about Goodson giving himself up instead of finishing runs, but that's for another time...as there are two sides to that argument also.

Guys get paid fortunes to coach football, and yet message board fans often have greater insight. The OP is one example. KF is a stubborn old man. He's great at producing individual talent but not so great at developing balanced football teams. It's not that hard. It really isn't. But when you continually ignore reality, well, that's a problem.

BTW: I did say Goodson would not be drafted. Iowa's running game would improve dramatically with a power back, like the Williams kids, and scrapping of the zone blocking scheme.

Won a lot of games in recent years so he must still be better than those brilliant message board fans….

I’m curious what type of run blocking scheme schools like Alabama and Georgia run. Obviously they have better RBs, but I’m ignorant on the types of schemes successfully running schools run.

Reactions: not_mantiteo
All of the above crap could be mitigated, if we would recruit QB's with some quickness and who could RUN THE DAMN BALL! KF would not have to leave his pro-style offense (even though many pro teams are doing it), he could just add some RPO's, naked reverses and force the D to worry about the QB scrambling out of the pocket. Something has to be done to cause the LB's and safeties to play more honestly. Yes. Iowa has done quite well over the years in wins over losses, but if you don't give most of the credit to the D; you are fooling yourself.

All of the above crap could be mitigated, if we would recruit QB's with some quickness and who could RUN THE DAMN BALL! KF would not have to leave his pro-style offense (even though many pro teams are doing it), he could just add some RPO's, naked reverses and force the D to worry about the QB scrambling out of the pocket. Something has to be done to cause the LB's and safeties to play more honestly. Yes. Iowa has done quite well over the years in wins over losses, but if you don't give most of the credit to the D; you are fooling yourself.

Some of this is also dependent on the passing game. As one poster said, find more quick hitters off play action would help. I’d also like something as simple as running jet sweep motion more often, whether or not we actually handed it off, just to try and keep the defense honest.

Just to point out how bad we were last year in the tackles for loss given up category...we were 114 out of 130 teams last year giving up 6.93 tackles for loss per game. Having leaky tackles in the passing game certainly inflated that number...but when you go back and watch the games...it's really shocking how many times Goodson looked for the ground because he had no chance. Now, we could certainly talk about Goodson giving himself up instead of finishing runs, but that's for another time...as there are two sides to that argument also.

The nasty synergy between a weak line and a skittish running back really compounds the problem for both. Both sides of that equation deserve equal blame for the 3 defensive linemen in the backfield before Tyler got the hand would certainly make him look for a safe space to land with the lowest risk of fumbling.

The nasty synergy between a weak line and a skittish running back really compounds the problem for both. Both sides of that equation deserve equal blame for the 3 defensive linemen in the backfield before Tyler got the hand would certainly make him look for a safe space to land with the lowest risk of fumbling.
I usually don’t mind when an RB on a running play goes to ground if there’s no hole to be had. Try and get back to the LOS and protect the ball. What Goodson did a lot that drove me nuts was trying to make something happen when nothing was there, resulting in a loss. This has cascading effects where the offense kept getting stuck in 2nd or 3rd and long, making things that much harder for an already struggling offense.

it’s one area where I do feel bad for all the crap BF has taken from fans this offseason. Much of it was deserved to be fair, but there was also a lot that I don’t know what all he was supposed to do. Receivers dropped passes, backs missed holes, linemen missed blocks and the qb play has been beaten to death…so, to some extent idk what BF could have done with so many things broken down the stretch.

It would be nice if Iowa, could get a dominant running game to pair with its defense but those years are few and far between.
Iowa doesn't help itself with its scheme. I have a feeling this year is going to be another tough year in the run game.

It would be nice if Iowa, could get a dominant running game to pair with its defense but those years are few and far between.
Iowa doesn't help itself with its scheme. I have a feeling this year is going to be another tough year in the run game.
To some extent I think we’re fooled a little bit by Wisconsin and their success the past decade in that respect. It’s not as easy to build a dominant line/defense as they make it look. They’ve also had generational talent on defense with the Watt brothers that have helped there as well. Even Bama hasn’t been consistently dominant in their run game and/defense at the same time every year with all of their recruiting domination.

To some extent I think we’re fooled a little bit by Wisconsin and their success the past decade in that respect. It’s not as easy to build a dominant line/defense as they make it look. They’ve also had generational talent on defense with the Watt brothers that have helped there as well. Even Bama hasn’t been consistently dominant in their run game and/defense at the same time every year with all of their recruiting domination.
There are a lot better running teams in the conference than Iowa. It’s not just Wisconsin.

Reactions: EpenesaEpenesa
There are a lot better running teams in the conference than Iowa. It’s not just Wisconsin.

I’d argue Wisconsin is the only one that’s been consistently dominant tho. Most of the other schools have been good and not so good at times. Even Iowa has been good at the running game at times. 2015, 2016; 2020 was pretty good as well. Just not to that level that we had for awhile where teams knew we were going to run it and they couldn’t stop it anyways.

I’d argue Wisconsin is the only one that’s been consistently dominant tho. Most of the other schools have been good and not so good at times. Even Iowa has been good at the running game at times. 2015, 2016; 2020 was pretty good as well. Just not to that level that we had for awhile where teams knew we were going to run it and they couldn’t stop it anyways.
Sure consistently dominant but Iowa hasn't even been consistently good. Usually in the bottom half of the conference.

Reactions: RomanHawk
In the west alone Iowa was 5th last year in yards per carry

I feel like it’s been well-established our offense across the board was bad last year, and it turned into vicious circle. We couldn’t run it so the offense kept getting stuck in unfavorable passing situations. Then we couldn’t pass to set up the run, again leading to unfavorable run/pass situations.

Forget if it was lestikow or morehouse who broke it down a few years back. Iowas best/most efficient offenses came when Iowa could simply average 4 ypc.

Reactions: cmhawks99
Sure consistently dominant but Iowa hasn't even been consistently good. Usually in the bottom half of the conference.

Total yards or ypc? To some extent I don’t worry about raw numbers because we just have to accept that our offensive style/philosophy will never have us consistently at the top of the conference in those total yards categories. 3rd down efficiency, ypc/yards per pass attempt, turnover margin, red zone efficiency are the areas I look at to determine our offenses quality.

Total yards or ypc? To some extent I don’t worry about raw numbers because we just have to accept that our offensive style/philosophy will never have us consistently at the top of the conference in those total yards categories. 3rd down efficiency, ypc/yards per pass attempt, turnover margin, red zone efficiency are the areas I look at to determine our offenses quality.
I typically look at YPC. The pace that Iowa plays at limits their ability to put up gaudy numbers for total anything. I also look at that pesky 'W' column.

Reactions: sober_teacher
It's really funny that posters don't seem to have a clue about what they are saying.
This is true. But you can't really give the Iowa coaches the benefit of the doubt with this type of thing when they have had a putrid running game the past few years while being a run first team and having overall one of the worst producing offenses in the country.

Reactions: BFs Bunghole
YPC

RPOs do not require a QB who can run the ball. Maybe you're thinking zone read plays?

This is true. But you can't really give the Iowa coaches the benefit of the doubt with this type of thing when they have had a putrid running game the past few years while being a run first team and having overall one of the worst producing offenses in the country.
Not what I was referring to.

Not what I was referring to.
Well I don't see a lot of incorrect things. As the OP said we have a slow moving zone scheme where the opposing LBs just fly down hill and make plays. It shows up in the stats too we were are some of the worst in the B1G for negative run plays.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
Well I don't see a lot of incorrect things. As the OP said we have a slow moving zone scheme where the opposing LBs just fly down hill and make plays. It shows up in the stats too we were are some of the worst in the B1G for negative run plays.
Our zone scheme is actually very aggressive. It is anything but slow.

Reactions: BBHawk
It's really funny that posters don't seem to have a clue about what they are saying.
It's a little funny but mostly quite sad. There have been player errors, as there always will be,
but 90% of the problems mentioned in this thread actually define the responsibilities of the OC.
Is it surprising that concerned fans don't know where to start trying to fix this dumpster fire of an offense presided over by a clueless neophyte? Many, many, fans appear to have a stronger desire to transform this _shi-show of an offense than does KF. That would be a better direction to direct your comments about inadequacy.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
Their RBs are top tier. Ours are not since Greene. A great RB makes an average OL look fantastic.

Reactions: BBHawk
You really have no clue about Iowa's blocking schemes, do you?

Watch some film and then report back. It isn't as simple as you portray it.

It's a little funny but mostly quite sad. There have been player errors, as there always will be,
but 90% of the problems mentioned in this thread actually define the responsibilities of the OC.
Is it surprising that concerned fans don't know where to start trying to fix this dumpster fire of an offense presided over by a clueless neophyte? Many, many, fans appear to have a stronger desire to transform this _shi-show of an offense than does KF. That would be a better direction to direct your comments about inadequacy.

Your one of the people he’s talking about, and we’d all probably accept your criticism of BF, but it won’t stop there….

It started with KOK, moved onto Greg Davis and will move onto the next guy, when he gets here

Their RBs are top tier. Ours are not since Greene. A great RB makes an average OL look fantastic.
As can having playmakers at QB and receiver.
Iowa has had great individual O-lineman. They have not commonly had outstanding O-lines as a unit.
Maybe it would be more productive for them to plan around what they actually have than what we wish they had?

You really have no clue about Iowa's blocking schemes, do you?

Watch some film and then report back. It isn't as simple as you portray it.
Ahh yes how will I ever understand the complex run game of slow drawn out stretch plays to the short side of the field for the 100th time. Or the ole' FB dive on 3rd and 3 that guys stuffed for the 10th time. Again you or the staff could get any sort of lenience if it wasn't for that we were 4th in total rushing attempts last year in the Big Ten but near the very bottom in rushing. It was quit pathetic. This isn't some big secret.

Reactions: mikesright
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT