ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa should reopen offer to Juan Harris

We don't know, but maybe Kirk asked him to move along after he trashed the fellow recruits. I don't see Kirk offering again, he wants kids with character, and Juan falls way short of that. He is a problem waiting to happen. He needs to go to a school that doesn't care about character, or a junior college.

We don't know, but maybe Kirk asked him to move along after he trashed the fellow recruits. I don't see Kirk offering again, he wants kids with character, and Juan falls way short of that. He is a problem waiting to happen. He needs to go to a school that doesn't care about character, or a junior college.

So, just throw him away? And then what...bitch & moan when he is killing it on some SEC school?

Reactions: hexumhawk
;
So, just throw him away? And then what...bitch & moan when he is killing it on some SEC school?
Well, an SEC school would fit the mold of not caring about character. I just don't see Kirk offering after all this kids issues. Now, if Eno, AJ, and Kallenberger asked Kirk to offer, maybe a small chance since they are the ones who were offended, but Kirk values character and integrity, and this kid has neither. I am one of the people who think this kid never plays a meaningful down of D1 football. Besides, we have plenty of time, he still has time to commit and de-commit a couple more times until signing time.

Reactions: Ree4
Nope... bad idea. His actions have spoken as loud as his words. He's mentally weak and will cause distractions. I would much rather Kirk & Co. find an undersized 2/3 star with an exceptional motor and character. I do wish JH success in life and maybe football, somewhere else, will play a part in it.

Reactions: Hawks_Rock_12
For you to take the next step to elite, you have to start taking some talent that might take some coddling and molding.

Not every person is ready to be a man when they start college. Sometimes I think Iowa coaches dont take enough risk in the recruiting realm.
We had a problem at a major level by taking some questionable kids. This kids talent is no where near the baggage he brings. He will land somewhere, but unfortunately for him it wont be what he was hoping for.

He not going to an SEC school. He's probably going to wind up at Southwest Missouri State or somewhere else like that. And then transfer to JUCO before the end of the first semester.

Considering the staff likes character and maturity as pre-requisites with every recruit...ain't happening.

I'm not sure it's fair to make so many assumptions about this kid's character. He hasn't had any stability in his life since the start of high school. Parents are separated and I'm pretty sure his dad was killed in a homicide. He needs a good mentor and family around him to get him on track. But he has the physical tools to be an All-American and make an immediate impact at Iowa. This vid is him as a freshman in hs, so much natural strength, speed, and potential.

He is the type of physical talent that you just get on campus and see if you can make something of it.

Problem is, that isnt KFs way of doing things.

Please note any specific character issues that Juan has shown. Sure he has shown an inability to commit to a scholarship offer. I think it's fair to use Juan's indecisiveness as a barometer of his maturity, but I have yet to hear any thing that says or proves that Juan "falls way short" in the character department. But if you have some specific information that is verifiable, please feel free to let us know.

Please note any specific character issues that Juan has shown. Sure he has shown an inability to commit to a scholarship offer. I think it's fair to use Juan's indecisiveness as a barometer of his maturity, but I have yet to hear any thing that says or proves that Juan "falls way short" in the character department. But if you have some specific information that is verifiable, please feel free to let us know.
I think calling out future Hawkeye teammates on Twitter might qualify as suspect character, wouldn't you? The committing and de committing I suppose you can say shows immaturity, but to call out future teammates, is not only immature, but lacks character and good judgement.If the kid wants to walk on, I am all for giving him a chance, otherwise, I would pass.

Last edited:
If the other recruits were okay with it (perhaps a big "if") couldn't you always offer him a scholarship and kick him off the team if he's a problem? To me it seems like a buy low situation similar to offering a baseball player a spring training invite. If it works out, great. If not, there isn't a whole lot of harm in doing so.

Reactions: hexumhawk
Yes! I like to see how many more times he would commit and decommit again before February

I think that we do need a DT or 2 in the 2017 class. I don't think Juan Harris is the one, though. His HS listed him at 395 lbs on their roster. He can't run at all at that weight (as I look at his senior year HUDL highlights, I don't see speed). If you believe that you can get him to change all of the habits that have gotten him to 395 lbs, and can get him down to 330, then you could have a division 1 football player.

Harris is going to have to be committed to transforming his body. I don't know that any of us are in a position to judge whether he has that kind of commitment.

It will be telling to see if he has any committable offers.

I think that we do need a DT or 2 in the 2017 class. I don't think Juan Harris is the one, though. His HS listed him at 395 lbs on their roster. He can't run at all at that weight (as I look at his senior year HUDL highlights, I don't see speed). If you believe that you can get him to change all of the habits that have gotten him to 395 lbs, and can get him down to 330, then you could have a division 1 football player.

Harris is going to have to be committed to transforming his body. I don't know that any of us are in a position to judge whether he has that kind of commitment.

It will be telling to see if he has any committable offers.

I think that's pretty much what we do best at Iowa, transforming players with rough edges into NFL players.

Decommited from Indiana. Iowa should offer and pursue him again. I know it's annoying that he decommited 3 times, but if we managed to get him, Daniels, and Espenesa on the same d-line...... OH MAN

POTY!

Yes! I like to see how many more times he would commit and decommit again before February

lol. He did apparently say that he's now going to wait until signing day (which is what he should have done in the first place). Whether the teams he likes are going to hold scholarships for him, well, that's his problem.

There are legions of high school stars who have screwed up their chance of playing college ball by their behavior, their parents' antics, or by not qualifying academically. Who really knows what's going on with this kid?

If anyone that has posted that IA needs to change to a 3-4 defensive front, should be in favor of signing Harris.

As the "experts" say, a 3/4 defense needs a physical nose guard........Harris is your nose guard.

Here's a brief/descriptive note: "In football, the 3–4 defense is a defensive alignment consisting of three down .... The 3–4 nose tackle is considered the most physically demanding position in football. His primary responsibility is to control the "A" gaps, the two ................."

No way in hell I would trust juan Harris to be the hardest working dude on my team. I don't know the guy, I wish him well, but at the minimum he is a flake and you don't trust a loose cannon to be the foundation of your defensive front. If anything make him a grey shirt and if he flakes out he doesn't cost you a thing.
Note: this is in reference to building a 3-4 D around him.

i say offer him and give him a really short leash.. Kid has a great talent, for his size he moves really damn well.. But I have a feeling lovie smith is after this guy hard.

Do we know if he still has talent? From everything I've heard, he's getting bigger and bigger and losing speed and athleticism. Iowa is not the right program for this kind. He's not going to sniff the field until he drops a lot of weight and he's not going to drop a lot of weight unless he works harder than he's ever worked in his life. Doyle and the staff will be so hard on the kid and I don't think this kid can take it. If he wants to play football, he should give UNI a shot.

I think that's pretty much what we do best at Iowa, transforming players with rough edges into NFL players.

Not exactly. This staff grows undersized players into the positions they project to play. I cannot think of a significantly overweight player that they have slimmed down to playing weight.

I think calling out future Hawkeye teammates on Twitter might qualify as suspect character, wouldn't you? The committing and de committing I suppose you can say shows immaturity, but to call out future teammates, is not only immature, but lacks character and good judgement.If the kid wants to walk on, I am all for giving him a chance, otherwise, I would pass.

I would say if he did call out teammates on twitter that may constitute poor character or it may just be immaturity again. I have heard many rumors but never seen the alleged tweets. Looking at in perspective.... I know that most people would say that if the worst thing you have ever done in your life talk crap on twitter at the age of 17, then you have made some pretty good decisions in life. I would chalk that one up to immaturity as well. When questioning character, I was thinking more about: Whether Juan had been in trouble in school or trouble with the law etc. I don't think these type of troubles have ever been mentioned in connection to Juan.

I can't believe some people still want Iowa to go after this kid. He has already decommitted 3x from Iowa and 4 times overall if that doesn't scream out red flag issue then I don't know what does and it's not like Iowa is a school that has a history of taking in questionable recruits. Sure lets try and bring him back a 4th time so he can back out again....

If it is signing day, and if we still need a DT because someone else bailed last second, and if his grades are up to snuff, then maybe.....

Decommited from Indiana. Iowa should offer and pursue him again. I know it's annoying that he decommited 3 times, but if we managed to get him, Daniels, and Espenesa on the same d-line...... OH MAN

giphy.gif

I would say if he did call out teammates on twitter that may constitute poor character or it may just be immaturity again. I have heard many rumors but never seen the alleged tweets. Looking at in perspective.... I know that most people would say that if the worst thing you have ever done in your life talk crap on twitter at the age of 17, then you have made some pretty good decisions in life. I would chalk that one up to immaturity as well. When questioning character, I was thinking more about: Whether Juan had been in trouble in school or trouble with the law etc. I don't think these type of troubles have ever been mentioned in connection to Juan.

I say you set a pretty low bar if the decommitting issue isn't enough for you to gauge character.

1 decommit - can be perceived as a young person having a change of heart
2 decommits - perhaps a young person with some maturity issues.
4 decommits (3 of which in a row came from the same school) - this kid has some major character issues and likely extreme narcissism.

If this kid ends up at an FBS school next year I will eat my hat. Hope for the best for him, but I just don't see it. I would be curious just how many scholarship offers he actually even has. Remember the kid several years ago that "committed" to Oregon or somewhere like that, had a press conference with the hats and everything...and he didn't actually have an offer from any of them? I suspect Harris might be very similar. Didn't Harris name a top 3 of like Michigan, Alabama, and someone else or something without having an offer from any of them? Also claimed his uncle was a particular NFL player, which turned out to be made up? No thanks.

I don't think he'll stick with the team he commits to on signing day.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT