ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa simplifying the offense?!

FWIW4922463

HR All-State
Apr 1, 2021
Some of us have been calling for Iowa to simplify its offense for most of the KF era. Finally, after a couple of decades, MAYBE it's beginning to happen. According to Chad Leistikow in the Press-Citizen, there are hints of this monumental move:

"Wide receiver Keagan Johnson indicated that things have been simplified on offense. Recall, quarterback Alex Padilla said during Iowa’s Citrus Bowl prep in December, 'This offense is not easy. It takes a year, year-and-a-half to learn the intricacies of it.'

"That is a quote that can really stick to an offensive coordinator. And It sounds like — again, sounds like — Brian Ferentz has gotten the message and isn't content to rely on the same concepts this spring and in the fall.

“'Definitely making things more simple but also just adjusting things that we did last year,'” Johnson said. “'We realize there are easier ways to do it.'”

See the entire article here: https://www.press-citizen.com/story...yes-brian-ferentz-offense-changes/7275417001/

I have repeatedly offered this observation from Albert Einstein, "Everything should be made as simple as possible," as I called for KF and BF to stop treating offensive football as if it were quantum physics. KF and BF harp constantly on "execution." Well guess what? The simpler the system is, the better the execution is. And you don't have to be an Einstein to understand that.

Keegan Johnson says "there are easier ways to do it." Who knew? Almost everyone not named Ferentz. And now, maybe, even those fellas are being nudged to adopt the KISS system--Keep It Simple Stupid. And to think it has only taken 20 years . . .

I have to agree. I saw the diagram for one play and there has to be a better way.

th

whatever they are doing, i hope it's something adaptable enough to stand the test of scouting. no point of delivering a points explosion via surprise in the OOC unless the system is rich enough to keep producing after b1g DCs have adjusted.

Reactions: uihawk82
whatever they are doing, i hope it's something adaptable enough to stand the test of scouting. no point of delivering a points explosion via surprise in the OOC unless the system is rich enough to keep producing after b1g DCs have adjusted.
You must be new to football...its all about execution and fundamentals here...... I get what you are saying

Its kind of baffling really because for the last 15 years the QB audible always ends up being a strong side stretch run. The most predictable play anywhere in college football.. It never works because the defense has moved their LBs and Safies up and over to stuff it. My wife (no pic) is the most casual football fan on Planet Earth and even she will call it ahead of the snap.

Last edited:
Some of us have been calling for Iowa to simplify its offense for most of the KF era. Finally, after a couple of decades, MAYBE it's beginning to happen. According to Chad Leistikow in the Press-Citizen, there are hints of this monumental move:

"Wide receiver Keagan Johnson indicated that things have been simplified on offense. Recall, quarterback Alex Padilla said during Iowa’s Citrus Bowl prep in December, 'This offense is not easy. It takes a year, year-and-a-half to learn the intricacies of it.'

"That is a quote that can really stick to an offensive coordinator. And It sounds like — again, sounds like — Brian Ferentz has gotten the message and isn't content to rely on the same concepts this spring and in the fall.

“'Definitely making things more simple but also just adjusting things that we did last year,'” Johnson said. “'We realize there are easier ways to do it.'”

See the entire article here: https://www.press-citizen.com/story...yes-brian-ferentz-offense-changes/7275417001/

I have repeatedly offered this observation from Albert Einstein, "Everything should be made as simple as possible," as I called for KF and BF to stop treating offensive football as if it were quantum physics. KF and BF harp constantly on "execution." Well guess what? The simpler the system is, the better the execution is. And you don't have to be an Einstein to understand that.

Keegan Johnson says "there are easier ways to do it." Who knew? Almost everyone not named Ferentz. And now, maybe, even those fellas are being nudged to adopt the KISS system--Keep It Simple Stupid. And to think it has only taken 20 years . . .
I believe it also includes blocking schemes and simplifying what the former O line coach used.

• Haha
Reactions: IowaMenLoveD
Someone with knowledge of the game honestly watching what the opponent is doing can always find a counter.

Its kind of baffling really because for the last 15 years the QB audible always ends up being a strong side stretch run. The most predictable play anywhere in college football.. It never works because the defense has moved their LBs and Safies up and over to stuff it. My wife (no pic) is the most casual football fan on Planet Earth and even she will call it ahead of the snap.
From my careful observations that is just not true.
It has always a run play by my count but it has been to both sides of the offense.

Let’s see if the proof is in the pudding this fall.

At the end of the day, it’s about execution. And there is definitely talent on that side of the ball, but if this really is a case of players having to think too much through each play, then it makes perfect sense why players often seemed a step slow and out of position last year.

Get the football to your playmakers and let them create. You have solid TEs, two really talented young WRs in Arland and Keagan, and a nice staple of powerful running backs to go with what should be a dominant OL. Keep it simple and let the kids have fun and make plays.

But it sounds like they are making the changes pretty much everyone wants. A good day.

It's more likely to be that call when we have a first-year starting QB. The checks/audibles are usually linked to a simple hat-count (or that is what it appears to be).

Also, technically speaking ... it's not a stretch play ... it's an outside zone play. Given how zone-plays are blocked, there's always the possibility for a cutback lane to open up. Consequently, that gives the RB an opportunity to cut up the field sooner if the opportunity arises.

The QB counts hats ... and believes that he has a numbers advantage to the strong side. If the numbers advantage holds up ... then maybe the RB makes the edge. Such situations usually go for a decent gain. Alternatively if the D over-pursues in order to compensate for the numbers disadvantage ... then that can often lead to a cutback lane opening up.

Of course, if the quality of the blocking falters ... since the RB is still patiently running more east-west, waiting for a hole to open up ... a guy can knife in and blow up the play.

Since Brian very much IS an X's and O's kinda guy ... I do wonder if maybe he was trying to coach things at too high of a level for the guys.

Thus, there may not have been a problem with the sort of stuff he was trying to have them do ... its just that the players may have had some difficulty processing it at rate where they could execute things fast enough to exploit the D.

Consequently, maybe the changes relate LESS to the complication of the schemes ... but rather to changing how the content is delivered in order to better mesh with the players' current understanding of the game? Personally, I have no idea ... but I'm certainly curious.

I find this comment amusing now after being on a spring visit a couple of weeks ago at Alabama with my son. Sure there will be some who aren’t great academically, but for the most part these are smart kids.
I don’t think the comment was directed towards the general population of the student body🙂

But you’re correct. Even the football team is probably full of smart kids at those schools.

Sure, and they've been wildly successful, haven't they?

Some are successful, some aren’t. Since we likely are missing a good chunk of the “check with me”/audibles, it’s kinda hard to determine the success rate on those by us fans isn’t it?

It is extremely complicated when you run a QB sneak on 3rd an 1 then again on 4th and 1. The next time you are in that situation you run a Fullback dive on 3rd and 1 and then again on 4th and 1. When the offense is set up for such unpredictability it is really hard to learn.

Since Brian very much IS an X's and O's kinda guy ... I do wonder if maybe he was trying to coach things at too high of a level for the guys.

Thus, there may not have been a problem with the sort of stuff he was trying to have them do ... its just that the players may have had some difficulty processing it at rate where they could execute things fast enough to exploit the D.

Consequently, maybe the changes relate LESS to the complication of the schemes ... but rather to changing how the content is delivered in order to better mesh with the players' current understanding of the game? Personally, I have no idea ... but I'm certainly curious.
He's been trying to install NFL type of offense like New England's to fresh out of high school kids and it's not working.

Wisest post here in a while.

exactly why the stubborn top down stuff doesn’t work. Good leaders and good coaches actually listen to players, and they learn.

A good system in any situation is good because it does the job, and more importantly, it empowers people on the team to do their jobs and be themselves and gives them space to be creative because situations on the ground are dynamic, even chaotic.

Mediocre people tend to make things more complicated and then blame others when it doesn’t work.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15

exactly why the stubborn top down stuff doesn’t work. Good leaders and good coaches actually listen to players, and they learn.

A good system in any situation is good because it does the job, and more importantly, it empowers people on the team to do their jobs and be themselves and gives them space to be creative because situations on the ground are dynamic, even chaotic.

Mediocre people tend to make things more complicated and then blame others when it doesn’t work.
and you followed it up with one of the worst posts here in awhile. Congratulations.

Reactions: PIEPI and HawkOn15
For those of you complaining about defenses knowing what the play is when our QB does audibles. I believe our coaches aren't as stupid as you want to believe they are.
If I am the coach, and know that defenses "know" we are going to run the ball when the QB is audibilizing, I would then run a play action play on the fake audible count. Our coaches would run this "fake audible/play action" play if other teams were countering our audibles.

I have never, ever heard KF blame someone else, EVER. We’ve also won a shit ton of football games for a mediocre egomaniac coach.

So it seems we have that coach you’re looking for, who knew?

😎

Reactions: F5n5 and mlee3553
It is extremely complicated when you run a QB sneak on 3rd an 1 then again on 4th and 1. The next time you are in that situation you run a Fullback dive on 3rd and 1 and then again on 4th and 1. When the offense is set up for such unpredictability it is really hard to learn.

Been very very and I mean veeerrrry few QB sneaks that I don’t remember working?!

Reactions: F5n5
He's been trying to install NFL type of offense like New England's to fresh out of high school kids and it's not working.

I think this is somewhat correct and advanced offenses like New England's with a lot of great QB reads and reactions need a qb like Tom Brady, who is quick, smart, cool under pressure, and super accurate most times.

But the easiest way to simplify your offense is to have a great running game with few turnovers. Average 5 to 6 yards a carry with big run play potential and you will really move the ball, score, and demoralize your opponent. We will see if there are some blocking scheme changes in the run game.

I think this is somewhat correct and advanced offenses like New England's with a lot of great QB reads and reactions need a qb like Tom Brady, who is quick, smart, cool under pressure, and super accurate most times.

But the easiest way to simplify your offense is to have a great running game with few turnovers. Average 5 to 6 yards a carry with big run play potential and you will really move the ball, score, and demoralize your opponent. We will see if there are some blocking scheme changes in the run game.
We have been missing the great running game for years, not just under BF. We need to run the ball better.

For those of you complaining about defenses knowing what the play is when our QB does audibles. I believe our coaches aren't as stupid as you want to believe they are.
If I am the coach, and know that defenses "know" we are going to run the ball when the QB is audibilizing, I would then run a play action play on the fake audible count. Our coaches would run this "fake audible/play action" play if other teams were countering our audibles.

Agreed and it also assumes that we as fans are spotting every single audible that gets called at the line.

And conversely, that our D apparently doesn’t ever know what the other team is doing, and only our offense amongst all other teams is so predictable. In reality, most teams will scout the opposition to know what plays/tendencies are likely coming given position groupings and looks the offense presents, or tells that can indicate if a blitz is coming/what coverage is on, etc.

Reactions: cmhawks99
ADVERTISEMENT