ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Softball 2021-2022 Season

Hawks beat South Dakota State 2-1 to open the weekend. Loecker throws a great game straining out the last batter with the tying run on third. SDSU is the pre-season Summit League pick to win the league.

Hawks beat South Dakota State 2-1 to open the weekend. Loecker throws a great game straining out the last batter with the tying run on third. SDSU is the pre-season Summit League pick to win the league.
Welp! just when you thought they might have a pretty good team...

Welp! just when you thought they might have a pretty good team...
Yeah, the DePaul game was messy. We actually hit the ball hard and DePaul made some really good defensive plays (diving catch in right, one at second, a few other nice plays on hard hit balls). It wouldn’t look like it from the box score, but I thought we hit better in that game. Unfortunately, DePaul was just squaring up the ball. My concern is a consistent pitcher after Loecker. Hopefully that’ll come as the season progresses.

go hawks!

DePaul is generally decent, but 13-0 in 5??!!
It seems to me that they obviously have a issue with stamina. why doesn’t coach rotate some other players in? She recruited all of them. ?Gotta give them a chance. I wonder if some are already thinking of transfering? See Michigan on ESPNU yesterday.

• Haha
Reactions: 2bagger22
The 8 run inning for DePaul was surreal. We had three pitchers throw. All got hit hard. With that being said we had the opportunity to get out of the inning with only a couple runs scored but an error extended the inning. There was also an unfortunate play where a DePaul runner crossed in front of an infielder on a routine pop fly. The bell dropped two runs scored and kept the inning alive. There was no contact so no interference called.

hopefully they rebound today.

That last game just got away from them. Things snowballed, and they could not stop it. If we get a call or 2, and it's a manageable game. Still lose, but doesn't look as bad. Doesn't really matter, and L is an L.

I was hoping last weekend showed that we could score more runs this year, but only getting 2 runs yesterday was tough. The pitching they faced was ok, not real fast, but lots of spin. They will definitely see better in conference. But 1 day doesn't make a season. Hopefully today we come out swinging and start to barrel it up more.

Reactions: UptownHawk
That last game just got away from them. Things snowballed, and they could not stop it. If we get a call or 2, and it's a manageable game. Still lose, but doesn't look as bad. Doesn't really matter, and L is an L.

I was hoping last weekend showed that we could score more runs this year, but only getting 2 runs yesterday was tough. The pitching they faced was ok, not real fast, but lots of spin. They will definitely see better in conference. But 1 day doesn't make a season. Hopefully today we come out swinging and start to barrel it up more.
I see Oregon St. beat Depaul 10-0. Takes a bit of the sting off.
10-0.

DePaul got beat handily by San Diego and SDSU too. All about momentum. They looked like world beaters against us.

Looks like todays game is streamed on YouTube. Link of Twitter.

I agree with all that. The zones seemed really tight yesterday (but consistent for all teams)

Reactions: MossHawk6
Hawks win 3-1 over San Diego. Loecker winning pitcher. Left quite a few runners on base, but pushed enough across to get the W.

Off to slow start this morning against Oregon St. Down 3-0 btm 2. Couple errors so far. Oregon St is pretty good. Going to have to clean it up to stay in this one. Oregon St pitcher is 1st team PAC 12.

Off to slow start this morning against Oregon St. Down 3-0 btm 2. Couple errors so far. Oregon St is pretty good. Going to have to clean it up to stay in this one. Oregon St pitcher is 1st team PAC 12.
They must’ve partied last night,behind 7-0. Error after error after-error, 7 so far. Boy when they decide to implode, they really know how to do it!

Possibly there is more strategy than I know, but down 7-0 in the 7th with two on and not outs why bunt? Looked like it was a sac bunt and not going for a hit. Outs are more important than moving runners at that point.

The pitching was pretty good today overall. The errors just caught up with us. Nice to see some fight at the end. Their pitcher is good. They only gave up 2 runs (1 was in extras placing a runner on 2nd) in three games this weekend.

3-2 isn’t a bad weekend overall.

Last edited:
Possibly there is more strategy than I know, but down 7-0 in the 7th with two on and not outs why bunt? Looked like it was a sac bunt and not going for a hit. Outs are more important than moving runners at that point.

The pitching was pretty good today overall. The errors just caught up with us. Nice to see some fight at the end. Their pitcher is good. They only gave up 2 runs (1 was in extras placing a runner on 2nd) in three games this weekend.

3-2 isn’t a bad weekend overall.

Anyone know how severe Doster’s injury is?
What happened to her?

What happened to her?
Rolled ankle on a close play at 1st On Saturday. She played rest of that game, but then it tightened up on her. She didn’t play the rest of the weekend. Was on crutches. They are going to look at it when they get back to IC. Hope she is not out to long, need her bat in the lineup!

Rolled ankle on a close play at 1st On Saturday. She played rest of that game, but then it tightened up on her. She didn’t play the rest of the weekend. Was on crutches. They are going to look at it when they get back to IC. Hope she is not out to long, need her bat in the lineup!
Kyle, can you try and get a report on Doster’s injury for us? If she’s out and for how long?

Hawks split day one beating North Florida 3-1 (a good team who swept Mich State last weekend and lost to ND 2-1) and losing to Notre Dame 2-0. Loecker with the win in game one. Pitching in game two was great as well with a 2-run homer in the mid part of the game. Hawks got runners in scoring position late but didn't push them accross. Good news is that Doster pinch hit game 2 so hopefully we'll see her back in the line up soon.

Nice finish to the weekend beating Princeton 4-2 yesterday and Cornell 9-0 today.

I'm impressed with how the pitching is coming along and I like how the coaches are splitting games between Bre and Denali. Greer strikes out 2 of 3 batters in relief with the other out being a lazy flare to left.

Congrats to Coach G on 900 wins....let's go get some more.

Does anyone know if the schedule on the website is correct next weekend? On our website we have UT-Martin on Saturday, but on their website they do not have our game listed.

Go Hawks!

There will only be 3 games next weekend. No games on Sunday. What I don't know yet, is if the Friday and Saturday schedule has changed any?

Thank you, MossHawk. That's a bummer that we are losing two games. Hopefully they will post the change to the schedule soon. Is there a reason for the change to the schedule?

A replay of Friday's Iowa-Memphis game is available on ESPN+. Loecker #5 was pitching, somehow misidentified by the announcer as Devyn Greer from the beginning. He correctly identified her at bat.

Last edited:
Not a bad weekend for the Hawks. Played pretty well for 20 of the 21 innings. Won the first 2 games pretty easily. Beat Indiana State 6-1 and Memphis 8-0. Loecker pitched well and hit a HR on Friday. DeSena has been playing 3rd lately, and her hitting is starting to come around. Banes is seeing that ball well! Doster was back some this weekend, with a couple hits. She still isn't 100%, but getting there.

Saturdays game against Butler stated off slow. Gave them 3 runs off of errors in the 3rd inning. A couple mental mistakes in the infield. Did not execute a 1st and 3rd situation. Then did not execute a pickle play that allowed 2 runs in.

But then battled the rest of the way. Hit the ball hard, just right at them. Then had a chance at the end of the game with bases loaded, but didn't get the hit when needed

Loecker pitched well enough to win, but was given her first loss of the year. Thought Banes hit well all weekend and had 2 hits (should have been 3) against Butler.

Overall a pretty good weekend, minus that 1 inning.

Go Hawks!

Last edited:
Thanks for the update, MossHawk. Following on GameTracker it is not always easy to understand what happened on certain plays and I wasn't sure what had happened in that inning with the three runs being scored. The Butler pitcher had a 1.21 ERA coming into the inning so we faced their ace.

Loecker is really throwing well. Bre is settling in well too.

Next weekend we play at Kansas on Friday (2 games) , Saturday (1) and Sunday (1) and in KC on Tuesday. The forecast looks awful for Fri and Sat (High of 31/snow Friday and high of 35 Saturday). Sunday, Monday and Tuesday looks nice. I'm hoping the revamp the schedule and move the Friday/Saturday games to Sunday and Monday. SEMO and KU play on Monday so they both would be options to reschedule.

Go Hawks!

A replay of Friday's Iowa-Memphis game is available on ESPN+. Loecker #5 was pitching, somehow misidentified by the announcer as Devyn Greer from the beginning. He correctly identified her at bat.
Haven't watched the replay of the ESPN+ coverage yet, but it sounds like the announcers were pretty bad? But in his defense... The way Iowa does there line up, is kind of confusing if you don't understand the DP. They list Loecker as the DP, and Greer as the starting pitcher. That way, when/if Greer has to come in, they can leave Loecker in to hit. But, they should have noticed the jersey number at some point. Or when Loecker was hitting the first time, notice... Oh, that is the pitcher! :) Not a big deal, but kind of funny....

Thanks for the update, MossHawk. Following on GameTracker it is not always easy to understand what happened on certain plays and I wasn't sure what had happened in that inning with the three runs being scored. The Butler pitcher had a 1.21 ERA coming into the inning so we faced their ace.

Loecker is really throwing well. Bre is settling in well too.

Next weekend we play at Kansas on Friday (2 games) , Saturday (1) and Sunday (1) and in KC on Tuesday. The forecast looks awful for Fri and Sat (High of 31/snow Friday and high of 35 Saturday). Sunday, Monday and Tuesday looks nice. I'm hoping the revamp the schedule and move the Friday/Saturday games to Sunday and Monday. SEMO and KU play on Monday so they both would be options to reschedule.

Go Hawks!
Ya, I'm sure GameTracker would not do what happened any justice. I think that inning they probably gave the catcher 2 errors. Peak did nothing wrong, had 2 good throws, there was just nobody there to catch the first one (1st and 3rd, SS was late getting there) or the pickle play, when it was a good throw, but just some bad communication between the infielders getting in line for the pickle.

Loecker has thrown very well. Only time she gets in trouble is when they have a high zone. She like to live down low, with her drop... Against Butler, I thought she might be in trouble. He had a very high zone... But she actually did a very nice job with the zone, and kept us in the game, even after the 3rd inning... Brea started kind of slow in her outing on Friday, but settled down and continues to pitch well.

Definitly hoping the change the Friday games! Have they changed the games like that in the past?? Going to be a long 10 or so days on the road for the girl...

After KC, they head to St Louis for a game, then back west to Oklahoma for Fri, Sat, Sun games.... Sunday against #1 Oklahoma should be a fun experience!

Its been a while but I have seen tournaments rework the schedule based on anticipated weather. It seems like it should work with SEMO and KU being in the area until Tuesday. Hopefully the Wichita game will get played on Sunday. Mo. State is only in Lawrence Thursday through Saturday so possibly they would not come. If that is the case maybe we pick up a game with KU or UMKC as both have had games cancelled. So has St. Louis.

The Oklahoma tournament will be cool. The games are at Hall of Fame Stadium. Iowa played there early in Looper's tenure. We live in Dallas and are planning on driving up. Have to admit I am stoked there is a Casey's about a mile from HoF Stadium and I can get my scotcheroo and Casey's pizza fix :).

Its been a while but I have seen tournaments rework the schedule based on anticipated weather. It seems like it should work with SEMO and KU being in the area until Tuesday. Hopefully the Wichita game will get played on Sunday. Mo. State is only in Lawrence Thursday through Saturday so possibly they would not come. If that is the case maybe we pick up a game with KU or UMKC as both have had games cancelled. So has St. Louis.

The Oklahoma tournament will be cool. The games are at Hall of Fame Stadium. Iowa played there early in Looper's tenure. We live in Dallas and are planning on driving up. Have to admit I am stoked there is a Casey's about a mile from HoF Stadium and I can get my scotcheroo and Casey's pizza fix :).

Hearing just now, that other teams are saying that they will not be playing on Friday or Saturday in Lawrence. But will play Sunday, Monday... Sunday schedule will be 10 & 12:30, just like it was supposed to be on Friday. Nothing from Iowa yet, just parents on other teams that are supposed to be there.

Hope this is true!

Just got word. Hawks don't play Friday or Saturday, and play Sunday at 12:30 vs Missouri State and the at 3 against Kansas. Then Monday they play Wichita State at 11 am.

Not for sure if this will change any of the mid week schedule? Probably wouldn't need to, just removes a travel day.

ADVERTISEMENT