ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Softball 2021-2022 Season

Not scoring runs.
1) Why isn't Doster playing?
2) Why don't we utilize a DH when Loecker pitches?

It sure about the DH, but Doster just hit a double and looks healthy!!

Playing a very good Witchita State now. They had 8 HRs last night. They have 2 so far today. Leocher is pitching. Not playing very clean today. Several errors already. Can't do that against these guys. They will make you pay!

Yesterday, played SEMO. Lost in bottom 7th. Didn't hit very well. Leocher pitch that one.

Beat Kansas in the 2nd game yesterday 3-1. Had a couple mental mistakes with pop up in infield that needs to be cleaned up, but got out of those situations to get the W.
Vasquez pitch great. Had 13 Ks I think.

As I'm typing this... Several more errors against WS. 8-0 top 3 still. Greer into pitch

It sure about the DH, but Doster just hit a double and looks healthy!!

Playing a very good Witchita State now. They had 8 HRs last night. They have 2 so far today. Leocher is pitching. Not playing very clean today. Several errors already. Can't do that against these guys. They will make you pay!

Yesterday, played SEMO. Lost in bottom 7th. Didn't hit very well. Leocher pitch that one.

Beat Kansas in the 2nd game yesterday 3-1. Had a couple mental mistakes with pop up in infield that needs to be cleaned up, but got out of those situations to get the W.
Vasquez pitch great. Had 13 Ks I think.

As I'm typing this... Several more errors against WS. 8-0 top 3 still. Greer into pitch
Dear God, I thought we had some pitchers on this team. Is it a recruiting error or is it coaching? Whatever, it’s a failure somewhere. we can’t even get out of an inning....

Tomorrow feels like an important day. After dropping close winnable games to Butler and Mizz St. and then todays game it feels like the season could slip into a downward trajectory. Hopefully they will come out fighting tomorrow and get a much needed sweep.

MossHawk, do you know if they are planning on making up any of the cancelled games (St Louis, 2 in Memphis and one this weekend) with any replacement games later in the season?

Alright Hawks, let's flush today and go get em tomorrow.

Go Hawks.

Reactions: MossHawk6
Tomorrow feels like an important day. After dropping close winnable games to Butler and Mizz St. and then todays game it feels like the season could slip into a downward trajectory. Hopefully they will come out fighting tomorrow and get a much needed sweep.

MossHawk, do you know if they are planning on making up any of the cancelled games (St Louis, 2 in Memphis and one this weekend) with any replacement games later in the season?

Go Hawks.
I wish I could be as upbeat as you. Good job!

Dear God, I thought we had some pitchers on this team. Is it a recruiting error or is it coaching? Whatever, it’s a failure somewhere. we can’t even get out of an inning....
I don't think there is any reason to panic. Just seems like they have a couple innings a weekend that cost them. They play pretty clean, all but those couple innings. We just don't hit consistent enough to get away with that. Just seems that the errors are coming in bunches. But, I think they are fairly young, and learning how to play more consistent. Really only 1 upper class men playing every day in Carter. Sheehy is a Sr, and playing half time. They rest sophomores and a couple freshmen.

Go Hawks!!

Last edited:

Go Hawks.
I have not heard of any make up games at this time.

I agree, tomorrows games are important. If we win the Mizzou St game on Sunday, then the WSU games was probably expected. So big picture, we lost 1 game that we shouldn't have.

But, can't let it continue, especially with some tough games in Oklahoma this weekend.

Reactions: UptownHawk
A drop in pitching was to be expected. We've been spoiled. It's still respectable, minus the bad inning here and there. I'm more disappointed in the hitting and defense. Three runs in each of the last three games is not going to cut it.

Is Maras hurt? Why in the world do you have a .194 hitter bat DH when you have Maras' .441 batting average on the bench? Especially with your team struggling to score runs. Not to mention let that .194 batter hit leadoff in the bottom of the 7th needing a run to tie.

Two more costly errors.

This team is getting painful to follow.

Is Maras hurt? Why in the world do you have a .194 hitter bat DH when you have Maras' .441 batting average on the bench? Especially with your team struggling to score runs. Not to mention let that .194 batter hit leadoff in the bottom of the 7th needing a run to tie.

Two more costly errors.

This team is getting painful to follow.
Maras is indeed hurt. Got hurt on Sunday.

Hitting did us in today. Has 2 errors, but no runs scored off those, I don't think.

As I'm typing... Doster with her 2nd HR of the day. 3-0 Hawks top 1.

I agree, MossHawk. It would be nice to have a third arm in the rotation especially in conference when we have three game series.

Oklahoma will be a tough test this weekend. Hoping we can win 3 of 4 of the other games. We are 13-8 and have a tough conference slate. We need to rack up some wins. It would be nice if we could schedule a couple non conference games to make up for the ones we lost.

The first RPI of the season has been released. Iowa in at #71.

Iowa is 1-4 vs. Top 50
5-1 vs. 51-100
5-3 vs. 100-200
2-0 vs. 200+

Best Win #42 Pitt
Worst Loss # 159 SEMO

21 of our remaining 30 games are top 100 RPI teams. Lots of opportunities for some good wins.

Go Hawks

Last edited:
Hawks win two today….8-4 over Houston and 6-4 over San Diego.

Triple play and four double plays today. Unfortunately about 3 errors per game.

They just announced tomorrow’s games are sold out. Hoping we can scalp some in the morning. Shocked a college softball tournament gets sold out.

Hawks win two today….8-4 over Houston and 6-4 over San Diego.

Triple play and four double plays today. Unfortunately about 3 errors per game.

They just announced tomorrow’s games are sold out. Hoping we can scalp some in the morning. Shocked a college softball tournament gets sold out.
Heard they may have given some of the tix away to a local business. But either way, today was basically sold out once Oklahoma fans started to file in. Should be a great environment for these ladies to experience tomorrow!

Today was very cold and windy. We pitched well with Brea starting the first game. Denali came in the 4th I think and closed the door. Then Denali started the 2nd game and pitched into the 7th before running out of gas. Brea came in, and we made it interesting once again. Had a ball go off the top of the wall that would have tied the game. But it stayed in the park. Maras made a nice play to turn a double play to close out the game.

Hit much better today, but still had 7 or 8 errors in the 2 games.

Carter had 5 hits in the first game. At least one more in the 2nd game. Burns with a couple hits and a HR.

Get Sam Houston St and Indiana tomorrow, and Oklahoma on Sunday!! Looking forward to a great softball environment. And 75 degree weather...

Go Hawks!

Reactions: nwhawkincr
Loecker had two balls in the first game that would have been homers had there not been a 30mph blowing in from left. Both hit hard but nothing was going to go out to left field.

The complex is awesome. Got up early and was able to purchase standing room only tickets. Should be a beautiful day for softball. Hoping for another sweep.

Loecker had two balls in the first game that would have been homers had there not been a 30mph blowing in from left. Both hit hard but nothing was going to go out to left field.

The complex is awesome. Got up early and was able to purchase standing room only tickets. Should be a beautiful day for softball. Hoping for another sweep.
Should be room in Iowa section if you need a seat. Sec 13 first game and sec 7 second game.

No one will know or care!!

Hitting and pitching this year is what it is (average), and I can live with that. The defense...especially mental errors...are just embarrassing. What is going on? Virtually the same team last year didn't play like this.

Hitting and pitching this year is what it is (average), and I can live with that. The defense...especially mental errors...are just embarrassing. What is going on? Virtually the same team last year didn't play like this.
Not impressed with pitching at all! and why would you not walk Konwert? She already had a 2 run bomb off us her first at bat.

This team is way worse than last year’s team! Gonna be a long conference season. Can’t hit, awful pitching! No mental toughness,roll over and play dead!!! Hate to be so negative, but it’s true.

We actually tied for 4th in the Big 10 last season. And this season we've scored at least 6 runs 10 times. But this series was the return of Looperball :(

We actually tied for 4th in the Big 10 last season. And this season we've scored at least 6 runs 10 times. But this series was the return of Looperball :(
This is so much more frustrating than Looperball. Many/most of Looper's players didn't belong in P5 college softball. This team is playing so much worse than they are capable. The mental errors are just embarrassing.

Speaking of embarrassing, how about walking Konwent all day. Scared to pitch to a barely .400 hitter with two homeruns on the season. Not exactly instilling confidence in your pitchers. Konwent hit well Friday...but a lot of Wis players did. She ended up coming around to score more often than not today anyway.

Yikes. That was not pretty. Wisconsin is a good team. They'll finish in the top part of the Big ten and likely make it to NCAA regionals, but they way the beat us was astounding. Coach Healy is always aggressive and pushes her players to take extra bases and does a lot of squeezes. We didn't look prepared for that, but it should have been a known. Maryland is one of the more winnable series, but have good pitching. We need to take at least 2 this weekend. Michigan starts 0-2 as Nebraska sweeps them in Ann Arbor with one game cancelled.

Hopefully we can flush this weekend and move forward.

Go Hawks!

Yikes. That was not pretty. Wisconsin is a good team. They'll finish in the top part of the Big ten and likely make it to NCAA regionals, but they way the beat us was astounding. Coach Healy is always aggressive and pushes her players to take extra bases and does a lot of squeezes. We didn't look prepared for that, but it should have been a known. Maryland is one of the more winnable series, but have good pitching. We need to take at least 2 this weekend. Michigan starts 0-2 as Nebraska sweeps them in Ann Arbor with one game cancelled.

Go Hawks!
From what I saw on B1G this weekend we couldn’t even hit the ball out of the infield! pretty devastating losses.

Go Hawks!
Ya, I was hoping there would be a more positive report this weekend. There is not a whole lot that I can add. This next weekend is HUGE to see if they can turn it around. Not real good in any facet of the game. They are young, but have to play better. At some point... Excuses are for Wusses!! 😀

Last edited:
  • Haha
Regarding Shaw & Lehman, I never did hear if they left on their own. Or as with basketball, there were so many new freshmen coming in that there were no roster spots available for seniors, even those with remaining eligibility.

Regarding Shaw & Lehman, I never did hear if they left on their own. Or as with basketball, there were so many new freshmen coming in that there were no roster spots available for seniors, even those with remaining eligibility.
I am not sure exactly what the story is with those two. But that is a example of what this Iowa team is up against. We are extremely young, and a lot of these other teams have super seniors that are helping those teams so much. This team looks a lot different with Shaw and Lehman, not only on the field, but senior leadership as well.

Reactions: LinusPF and Row55

Shaw went to UCLA and has given up only 2 runs in 31 innings. Those 2 runs were against....Oklahoma. Iowa certainly would live to have that.

Hard to watch. Looked like middle school softball last night and already again today. Worst fielding pct. In the big ten.

Hard to watch. Looked like middle school softball last night and already again today. Worst fielding pct. In the big ten.
Don't think I've ever seen a team play defense this poorly. Official scorer feels sorry for them, I think. They could easily have 6-7 errors both today and last night. Ugh - the mental errors on top that that...from literally every field-position player. What is happening!?! Same team who was fine until the last several games, and not bad last year!

Don't think I've ever seen a team play defense this poorly. Official scorer feels sorry for them, I think. They could easily have 6-7 errors both today and last night. Ugh - the mental errors on top that that...from literally every field-position player. What is happening!?! Same team who was fine until the last several games, and not bad last year!
We may not win a conference game! Thoughts?

They tried rotating the three outfielders. They have played solidly for 1 1/2 seasons. It’s difficult trying to learn the flight of the ball in a different field over night. I feel bad for these girls. All three are top notch kids.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT