ADVERTISEMENT

*****Iowa St vs Iowa Game Thread*****

JFC he will get lots of opportunities to play. You act as though he's not seeing the floor and his presence is sorely missed when he's not out there. Couldn't have been further from the truth.

He played a lot against Duke in Madison Square Garden. I doubt that he cares that he didn't play in a blowout, he knows that the coaches trust him when they need him.
Said absolutely no athlete ever! 😂

JFC he will get lots of opportunities to play. You act as though he's not seeing the floor and his presence is sorely missed when he's not out there. Couldn't have been further from the truth.

He played a lot against Duke in Madison Square Garden. I doubt that he cares that he didn't play in a blowout, he knows that the coaches trust him when they need him.
JFC you then will complain if he turns the ball over because he doesn’t get valuable experience in blowout wins.
He played well last game and has clearly showed in limited play he has potential to be the best pg iowa has had in years. But yet he gets a measly 2 minutes of playing time. I know if that was me, I’d be pretty upset

Reactions: DewHawk and Slim45
The double standard bias is evident as too me the same rationale applies with Sandfort Goes 2-20 shooting and all people say is he must play , but if another kid makes w mistakes it’s bench him for the game

fran usually follows process and not outcomes, like with Sandfort, so it doesn’t make sense that he doesn’t do the same with others who makes mistakes
I agree that Fran values process over outcomes, which is good. What evidence do you have that he is not doing this with other players? Sandfordt has a year in the program already where he at times played at a high level off the bench. And while he is still playing Sandfordt, his PT has been drastically reduced over the past 5-6 games and Ulis PT has gone way up. So he isn't giving up on Sandfordt, but still has to do what's best (in his opinion) to win the game. Sandfordt has kind of made the decision for Fran for reduced PT with Sandfordt's play, which hasn't been good.

I don't really know why Bowen isn't playing more. My assumption is that he will as the season goes along . We will see.

Reactions: littlez
I’m guessing Bowen cares. I know I wouldn’t enjoy only playing 2 minutes of a blowout game. It also looks like a lot of hawk fans care as well.
He’s a freshman and what better time to get him some meaningful minutes then when a game is out of hand against a power 5 school and at home. Nah let’s throw him in on the road during big 10 play and expect him to perform and not make any mistakes.
Bowen will do just fine in future games despite the invaluable minutes he missed out on last night. I’m done here - that game was way too enjoyable for me to sit here arguing about minute allocations… and by the way, I’m not even saying that Fran’s minute allocation was optimal. But it worked. I doubt that Bowen is so upset that he’s just going to up and transfer, but am definitely not going to wring my hands about that until it happens

Reactions: littlez
Of course most anything can be open to critical review. The criticism of Fran here on these boards is rather free flowing. It bugs me that mostly it is centered entirely on the outcome of single game (such as after the Duke loss). That's not you, as you have been consistent about wanting the bench guys to play more.

About the only player who didn't play much who should have played more was Bowen. And Fran tried to give him more time in the second half and he turned it over 2 times in 3 minutes. Fran also put Ogundele in the game in the first half to give Rebraca a break and he turned it over twice in 2 minutes.

The game flow in the second half was weird. Iowa led 66-38 with 9 minutes to go. Probably should have subbed some at this point, if only to get a few guys a breather around the under 8 timeout. But ISU goes on a 11-0 run. At that point, Fran isn't going to go to the bench, but Iowa is just milking the clock with under 5 minutes. Connor makes 4 straight FT's, Rebraca hits a 3 and it's back to 24 point lead. If it's me, that's when I'm calling a TO and taking out Rebraca, Connor and Ulis. But those guys playing the final few minutes at a low-energy walk won't make or break them for Sunday.

If they can find a way to get through Sunday with a win, the following 2 weeks are light on games and everyone can rest.
i never ever see anyone make critical analysis of defense, for example.

ISU isolates there big, one on one vs Ogundle in the post, and clears the floor for him to go 1 v 1, what’s happens is that Ogundele bodies him, keeps him from backing him down, forces him to dribble to baseline, picks up his dribble, unable to position his footwork for a shot, then while under body to body pressure, throws pass away, resulting in a TO.

that is called a defense stop resulting in your man throwing it away.

what’s critical here is IOWA did NOT have to give double team help, which quite often results in a defensive scramble
First an expert basketball analyst, and now a coach. With Kris out, Iowa just beat the hell out of a ranked team, which had beaten North Carolina and Villanova, and you are criticizing Fran, who just won his 500th game as a coach.o_O

By the way, since you like stats, what was JoshO's line last night? I see 0 pts, 0 boards, 2 TOs and 2 fouls in only 3 minutes. I think that is 2 games in a row without a rebound. Clearly, Fran needed to play him more...

In fairness to JoshO, he has shown that he can contribute for short periods, and we will need him against teams with imposing centers.
as you state, “all you see is these stats….”
respectfully let me show you what I saw

1. ISU isolates there big, one on one vs Ogundle in the post, and clears the floor for him to go 1 v 1, what’s happens is that Ogundele bodies him, keeps him from backing him down, forces him to dribble to baseline, picks up his dribble, unable to position his footwork for a shot, then while under body to body pressure, throws pass away, resulting in a TO.
    -that is called a defense stop resulting in your man throwing it away.
    -what’s critical here is IOWA did NOT have to give double team help, which quite often results in a defensive scramble this is huge for a,defesne, not to have to double team post that can lead to easy baskets.
  2. TO # 1. Ogundele tries to execute a very nifty back door, ISU gets a hand on it, as the ball is going out of bounds, with IOWA retaining possession, Desonte has brain cramp and touches it as it goes out, creating the TO, everyone on the court and everyone watching knows that it was Bowen that made that a TO.. so yes, the process their was sound, even encouraged, but only a few would add it to a stat line with out proper context
  3. TO #2. The offensive foul (1 in the same ) Well A) I did not see the play clearly, so I cant comment on its accuracy, but Fran did clealry disagree, as he stood up and argued against the call. B) this is another process foul, we know ISU bullies and gets away with as much as physical stuff as possible, the process says “be physical back” and occasionally you get called for it. That’s what happened there, I actually don’t mind when you back up center, playing with a 20+ point lead, is physical and aggressive with ball around basket vs a physical team. most every teammate , fan would agree, be physical, and sometimes you get called, (even when you didn’t foul, which looks possible here.) But once again, those trying to support a narrative, won’t look at process, only at stat sheet, and say “look look, 2 TO and 2 fouls in 2 minutes “ this proves it.
these are 3 points that may be missed if you just look at stat sheet,

please let me know where you belive this thinking is in error.
Respectfully to all

Of course most anything can be open to critical review. The criticism of Fran here on these boards is rather free flowing. It bugs me that mostly it is centered entirely on the outcome of single game (such as after the Duke loss). That's not you, as you have been consistent about wanting the bench guys to play more.

About the only player who didn't play much who should have played more was Bowen. And Fran tried to give him more time in the second half and he turned it over 2 times in 3 minutes. Fran also put Ogundele in the game in the first half to give Rebraca a break and he turned it over twice in 2 minutes.

The game flow in the second half was weird. Iowa led 66-38 with 9 minutes to go. Probably should have subbed some at this point, if only to get a few guys a breather around the under 8 timeout. But ISU goes on a 11-0 run. At that point, Fran isn't going to go to the bench, but Iowa is just milking the clock with under 5 minutes. Connor makes 4 straight FT's, Rebraca hits a 3 and it's back to 24 point lead. If it's me, that's when I'm calling a TO and taking out Rebraca, Connor and Ulis. But those guys playing the final few minutes at a low-energy walk won't make or break them for Sunday.

If they can find a way to get through Sunday with a win, the following 2 weeks are light on games and everyone can rest.

First an expert basketball analyst, and now a coach. With Kris out, Iowa just beat the hell out of a ranked team, which had beaten North Carolina and Villanova, and you are criticizing Fran, who just won his 500th game as a coach.o_O

By the way, since you like stats, what was JoshO's line last night? I see 0 pts, 0 boards, 2 TOs and 2 fouls in only 3 minutes. I think that is 2 games in a row without a rebound. Clearly, Fran needed to play him more...

In fairness to JoshO, he has shown that he can contribute for short periods, and we will need him against teams with imposing centers.
as you state, “all you see is these raw stats….”

1. ISU isolates there big, one on one vs Ogundle in the post, and clears the floor for him to go 1 v 1, what’s happens is that Ogundele bodies him, keeps him from backing him down, forces him to dribble to baseline, picks up his dribble, unable to position his footwork for a shot, then while under body to body pressure, throws pass away, resulting in a TO.
    -what’s critical here is IOWA did NOT have to give double team help, which quite often results in a defensive scramble this I huge for a,defesne not to have to double team post that causes easy baskets.
  2. TO # 1. Ogundele tries to execute a very nifty back door, ISU gets a hand on it, as the ball is going out of bounds, with IOWA retaining possession, Desonte has brain cramp and touches it as it goes out, creating the TO, everyone on the court and everyone watching knows that it was Bowen that made that a TO.. so yes, the process their was sound, even encouraged, but only a few would add it to a stat line with out contex
  3. TO #2. The offensive foul (1 in the same ) Well A) I did not see the play clearly, so I cant comment on its accuracy, but we need see Fran argue against the call B) this is a process foul. i argue that when up,20, with your back up C in, against a very physical aggressive team, you want to and must be physical back, that is exactly what Ogundele did, and occasionally you will get the foul (occasionally it will be a bad call too, like May have been here). I would say this the process you want , the behavior you want , but it doesn’t always work out. You sometimes get called a foul. I think this is OK, others that are only supporting a narrative will only look at stats and say “here, these TOs proves this and that“ however they clearly lack context that changes the way we should look at the players behavior relative to process vs outcome
if I’m wrong on any or all of this please inform
respectfully posted.

-what’s critical here is IOWA did NOT have to give double team help, which quite often results in a defensive scramble this I huge for a,defesne not to have to double team post that causes easy baskets.
  2. TO # 1. Ogundele tries to execute a very nifty back door, ISU gets a hand on it, as the ball is going out of bounds, with IOWA retaining possession, Desonte has brain cramp and touches it as it goes out, creating the TO, everyone on the court and everyone watching knows that it was Bowen that made that a TO.. so yes, the process their was sound, even encouraged, but only a few would add it to a stat line with out contex
  3. TO #2. The offensive foul (1 in the same ) Well A) I did not see the play clearly, so I cant comment on its accuracy, but we need see Fran argue against the call B) this is a process foul. i argue that when up,20, with your back up C in, against a very physical aggressive team, you want to and must be physical back, that is exactly what Ogundele did, and occasionally you will get the foul (occasionally it will be a bad call too, like May have been here). I would say this the process you want , the behavior you want , but it doesn’t always work out. You sometimes get called a foul. I think this is OK, others that are only supporting a narrative will only look at stats and say “here, these TOs proves this and that“ however they clearly lack context that changes the way we should look at the players behavior relative to process vs outcome
if I’m wrong on any or all of this please inform
respectfully posted.
I could be wrong but I think it was Ulis that tried to grab the pass from ogundele that went ob. At least in the moment i was shaking my head (thinking it was him) because he did the same thing on the possession Lipsey came from behind connor and knocked the ball loose, clearly it was going ob, and ulis grabbed it with his foot on the line.

Reactions: KcTo

If they can find a way to get through Sunday with a win, the following 2 weeks are light on games and everyone can rest

3. TO #2. The offensive foul (1 in the same ) Well A) I did not see the play clearly, so I cant comment on its accuracy. B) I believe you want your back up,C to be aggressive vs a physical team and that foul is a process foul that you are OK with ( even Fran argues against it ) it is a TO, but you’ll take those as that is a process that you want your kids to repeat. Physical play vs physical play while up 20
  4. respectfully submitted

I could be wrong but I think it was Ulis that tried to grab the pass from ogundele that went ob. At least in the moment i was shaking my head (thinking it was him) because he did the same thing on the possession Lipsey came from behind connor and knocked the ball loose, clearly it was going ob, and ulis grabbed it with his foot on the line.
Was it Ulis? I dint recall, but it was a real bone head play he barely grazed the ball, ensuring it was a TO

2x in just a few minutes. Geesh. Where’s the BB IQ?

Apologize for repeats ……
im going to self quarantine on bench now

Was it Ulis? I dint recall, but it was a real bone head play he barely grazed the ball, ensuring it was a TO

2x in just a few minutes. Geesh. Where’s the BB IQ?
I could be wrong, those 2 look pretty similar on the tv

i never ever see anyone make critical analysis of defense, for example.

ISU isolates there big, one on one vs Ogundle in the post, and clears the floor for him to go 1 v 1, what’s happens is that Ogundele bodies him, keeps him from backing him down, forces him to dribble to baseline, picks up his dribble, unable to position his footwork for a shot, then while under body to body pressure, throws pass away, resulting in a TO.

that is called a defense stop resulting in your man throwing it away.

what’s critical here is IOWA did NOT have to give double team help, which quite often results in a defensive scramble

as you state, “all you see is these stats….”

-what’s critical here is IOWA did NOT have to give double team help, which quite often results in a defensive scramble this is huge for a,defesne, not to have to double team post that can lead to easy baskets.
  2. TO # 1. Ogundele tries to execute a very nifty back door, ISU gets a hand on it, as the ball is going out of bounds, with IOWA retaining possession, Desonte has brain cramp and touches it as it goes out, creating the TO, everyone on the court and everyone watching knows that it was Bowen that made that a TO.. so yes, the process their was sound, even encouraged, but only a few would add it to a stat line with out proper context
  3. TO #2. The offensive foul (1 in the same ) Well A) I did not see the play clearly, so I cant comment on its accuracy, but Fran did clealry disagree, as he stood up and argued against the call. B) this is another process foul, we know ISU bullies and gets away with as much as physical stuff as possible, the process says “be physical back” and occasionally you get called for it. That’s what happened there, I actually don’t mind when you back up center, playing with a 20+ point lead, is physical and aggressive with ball around basket vs a physical team. most every teammate , fan would agree, be physical, and sometimes you get called, (even when you didn’t foul, which looks possible here.) But once again, those trying to support a narrative, won’t look at process, only at stat sheet, and say “look look, 2 TO and 2 fouls in 2 minutes “ this proves it.
these are 3 points that may be missed if you just look at stat sheet,

please let me know where you belive this thinking is in error.
Respectfully to all
I watch defense very carefully, unlike many who judge players by their points. JoshO can effectively body opponents near the basket, but lacks the quickness to guard effectively outside of about 10-12 ft. Unlike other players in the Iowa rotation, Josh has a very hard time making switches, which limits his effectiveness in certain defenses. He generally hovers in the lane, when not bodying a defender near the basket.

Josh seems to have lost some weight, and it has made him quicker, but he is by far the slowest player in Iowa's rotation. This makes him a non-factor in Iowa's running game, unless making an outlet pass. DItto defending a fast break.

Josh does have some court awareness, but his quickness makes it hard for him to regularly make plays. He had a couple of nice assists against Clemson, and a drive against Duke, but not much otherwise that I remember. You clearly see something that I and most others, including Fran, don't see (or at least hope). I hope Josh continues to improve, because we need depth inside and will need it even more next year, unless Fran adds a big in the portal.

That's gotta hurt. I mean to be cucked by a tiny elf. BTW, I think that it's not really PC to call them elves anymore. I think they prefer little Christmas people.
little bastards are hung like mules……guess it get’s lonely at the north pole while I’m out doing Santa stuff

• Haha
Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder
-Bet big on ISU +5 on Wednesday night after seeing the posts about Murray in a walking boot.
-Received free tickets just before the game last night. Immediately began to regret my bet as the Hawks always kick ass when I go to Carver.
-Had a chance to cash out for something like $6 profit pregame. Didn't pull the trigger in time as I was running late and forgot, didn't make it to our seats until a couple of minutes after tipoff.
-Doubled down with a live bet chasing my losses on ISU +18.5 late in the first half (my biggest bet of the year up until this point).
-Full degeneration mode, all-in bet with my remaining account balance on ISU +26.5 early in the second half, assuming Fran would call off the dogs and throw in the scrubs... somehow this never happened.
-Held my breath and clenched my anus; pretended like I was rooting for the Hawks but secretly celebrating every Clown basket. So much shame.

Conclusion: Got to witness a Clown beatdown for Fran's 500th win and I'm up 5 bucks. Also, I will never bet against my Hawkeyes again.

I watch defense very carefully, unlike many who judge players by their points. JoshO can effectively body opponents near the basket, but lacks the quickness to guard effectively outside of about 10-12 ft. Unlike other players in the Iowa rotation, Josh has a very hard time making switches, which limits his effectiveness in certain defenses. He generally hovers in the lane, when not bodying a defender near the basket.

Josh seems to have lost some weight, and it has made him quicker, but he is by far the slowest player in Iowa's rotation. This makes him a non-factor in Iowa's running game, unless making an outlet pass. DItto defending a fast break.

Josh does have some court awareness, but his quickness makes it hard for him to regularly make plays. He had a couple of nice assists against Clemson, and a drive against Duke, but not much otherwise that I remember. You clearly see something that I and most others, including Fran, don't see (or at least hope). I hope Josh continues to improve, because we need depth inside and will need it even more next year, unless Fran adds a big in the portal.
Running game here, steal, and assist…..

-Bet big on ISU +5 on Wednesday night after seeing the posts about Murray in a walking boot.
-Received free tickets just before the game last night. Immediately began to regret my bet as the Hawks always kick ass when I go to Carver.
-Had a chance to cash out for something like $6 profit pregame. Didn't pull the trigger in time as I was running late and forgot, didn't make it to our seats until a couple of minutes after tipoff.
-Doubled down with a live bet chasing my losses on ISU +18.5 late in the first half (my biggest bet of the year up until this point).
-Full degeneration mode, all-in bet with my remaining account balance on ISU +26.5 early in the second half, assuming Fran would call off the dogs and throw in the scrubs... somehow this never happened.
-Held my breath and clenched my anus; pretended like I was rooting for the Hawks but secretly celebrating every Clown basket. So much shame.

Conclusion: Got to witness a Clown beatdown for Fran's 500th win and I'm up 5 bucks. Also, I will never bet against my Hawkeyes again.
I just bet on Iowa to win straight up. Sometimes some people get too complicated.

Reactions: AlvySinger

What do you consider constitutes a big? Just asking. Again when Fran recruits a player, he expects that player to add at some point substantial quality play and the only time he's gone to the portal was because he needed a position of need, not to get a player to take a position away from a player he recruited. That is not how Fran rolls.
If you haven't seen 6-10/6-11 Owen Freeman, a 23 recruit from Moline, you need to. He has a real good chance to start at center for Iowa next year or at least get substantial minutes. The other recruit Fran is bringing in next year is 6-9, 255 and Fran is very high on him.
If these 2 players are indeed worthy of playing time next year, Fran is not going to bring in anyone from the portal to keep these 2 players on the bench.
Now this may change if during next summer workouts and one or both of them become injured, Fran may have to bring in someone to fill minutes but they will not be expected to get starter minutes.
One other thing, it appears that Riley Mulvey is being groomed to play mainly the power forward position, not at center. Next year that position may open up when Kris forgoes his senior year. At 7 feet he's worthy to be called depth on the inside.

“But he’s by far the slowest player…”

1st watch physical paint defense on Kofi, forces bad shot, beats him to inside position on other end…
2nd the watch and tell us who is the 1st one down the court…?

What do you consider constitutes a big? Just asking. Again when Fran recruits a player, he expects that player to add at some point substantial quality play and the only time he's gone to the portal was because he needed a position of need, not to get a player to take a position away from a player he recruited. That is not how Fran rolls.
If you haven't seen 6-10/6-11 Owen Freeman, a 23 recruit from Moline, you need to. He has a real good chance to start at center for Iowa next year or at least get substantial minutes. The other recruit Fran is bringing in next year is 6-9, 255 and Fran is very high on him.
If these 2 players are indeed worthy of playing time next year, Fran is not going to bring in anyone from the portal to keep these 2 players on the bench.
Now this may change if during next summer workouts and one or both of them become injured, Fran may have to bring in someone to fill minutes but they will not be expected to get starter minutes.
One other thing, it appears that Riley Mulvey is being groomed to play mainly the power forward position, not at center. Next year that position may open up when Kris forgoes his senior year. At 7 feet he's worthy to be called depth on the inside.
I have said nothing but very good things about Iowa's 2023 recruiting class. I think it is Fran's best. So, you think Iowa's two incoming bigs give them all they need inside? You want to rely on two true freshman? Say both freshman bigs are able to give Fran 25 min, which is a LOT for true freshman, who is going to cover the other 30 min at 4/5? JoshO has shown some improvement, but nothing that leads anyone except KcTo to believe that he can play extended minutes effectively. I will be a little surprised if Mulvey returns, because he seems to be lost. Add an experienced big man to mostly play interior defense and rebound, and Iowa will have the personnel to be a top team (assuming our perimeter players all return, except Connor).

Last edited:
If you don't think Josh is the slowest player on the team, who do you think is?
Josh is approximately 6 11 and 275 lbs.
he Is the largest man in the team,
all The others should be faster, as they are all shorter, and lighter.
this Is an expected outcome .

kofi Was the slowest on his team, Eddy is the slowest on his team, every Team has its center’s that are the slowest.

that comment by its self is obvious in its answer.

Josh is approximately 6 11 and 275 lbs.
he Is the largest man in the team,
all The others should be faster, as they are all shorter, and lighter.
this Is an expected outcome .

kofi Was the slowest on his team, Eddy is the slowest on his team, every Team has its center’s that are the slowest.

that comment by its self is obvious in its answer.
You seemed to be questioning my analysis of Josh's limitations, and suggesting he could run by posting him getting a gift on a secondary break from BC's total lack of defense. Now you seem to be making excuses why he is slow. Josh can bang very well near the basket with other very large centers, but he has serious limitations in Iowa's usual defense that involves a lot of switching. He also has a very hard time defending pick and rolls, if he bothers to leave the lane.

Surprisingly, and I have only seen it a couple of times, Mulvey can run quite well. I haven't figured out his limitations, because he appears to be lost most of the times I have seen him in a game.

It would be great if these guys could play more minutes effectively, because the Hawks are short on interior players.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT