ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa State Class 1A 3200 meter controversy

I was in the front row near the finish line (my daughter had just run the 3000m and my son's best friend and future college roommate were running the 3200). When the counter put her hand on the bell as the leaders rounded the far turn, my older son said "they aren't on lap 7, they're on lap 6". I looked at the clock, they hadn't passed the 7 min mark yet.

When she rang the bell, the two of us and a coach behind us started yelling that the count was wrong and they had two laps left. As they came around and crossed, there were a bunch of us yelling they still had a lap left. Roder, the kid from Gehlen, stopped. Anderson, the kid from G-LR, kept running. Most of the next 8-10 stopped or slowed.

It was a mess. I still think they need to name Roder and Anderson co-champions. Punishing Anderson for knowing the count and not pushing a lap early is crap.

BTW, my son's best friend finished 9th. He slowed coming across the line, but didn't stop. But he had kicked the last lap and was dead. He basically jogged the "final" lap, as did most of the first 10-12 runners.

Boys in Boone obviously need more money to get decent officials.

That organization needs a state audit.

Parents and coaches had to be losing their minds that knew the bell was wrong.

Some of the runners were probably thinking they must be in Twilight Zone.

Boys in Boone obviously need more money to get decent officials.

That organization needs a state audit.

Parents and coaches had to be losing their minds that knew the bell was wrong.

Some of the runners were probably thinking they must be in Twilight Zone.

My son's friend thought it was a lap early, but between the bell and the announcer saying they were coming around on the last lap, he figured he must have miscounted. He said he realized something was wrong when he saw the time on the board as he was crossing the line, since he had just broken the state record and finished 9th.

He slowed and saw guys starting to run again so he took off.

I still can't believe no one on the track, or in the booth, noticed the leaders were starting the bell lap at right around 7 min, which would put them crossing the line around 8:10, or 40 seconds faster than the state record.

They need to re-run the race this weekend is what they need to do. As mentioned you can’t penalize the one kid who knew the lap count, but can’t really fault the kids for going hard thinking it was the final lap when it wasn’t.

Redoing the race is a non-starter (pun intended). Some of the guys in the race were only running that event, others had 1-2 other events, some had numerous events. My son's teammate ran the 4x800 after the 3200m, and has the 1600 and 800 tomorrow. A friend of his from another school is in the 1600 tomorrow, ran the 4x8 yesterday and the distance med today.

Anyone who had no other events would have a decided advantage on those who had numerous other events. Trying to fit it in, while getting runners back from all over, and not interfering with other races would be difficult at best.

If they can’t find a way to redo race then I’d go by the guy who actually ran all laps and won. How can you say a lap didn’t count even with the bell error. That or scratch the results and have no winner.

Who was the favorite going into the race? Was it the kid they gave the title to, the kid who actually won or someone else?

Can't they just redo it tomorrow? There's no way Drake Stadium is booked for anything else this time of year. Menace just played the other night. Make Boone put the athletes, parents and coaches up for the night. You can always find a roadside near Altoona or one of those places in NW DSM boonies.

They should rerun the race. Never been a fan of the State Track Meet allowing kids to run in races they didn't qualify for. Gosh if they rerun the race there might actually be more of the kids who did the actual qualification for state running instead of the fewer kids who run more events at state because the state meet is spread over more days.

The whole concept of allowing faster kids to run in races at state which they didn't qualify in is corrupt.

Last edited:
So unfair we have winners and losers still in sports the day will come that no timer is used and all the entrants will be considered winners.

Reactions: TunzaHawk
The Iowa High School Athletic Association should be disbanded why do we need all these idiots making 150,000-200,000 to do nothing.!

The girls are the same way. All they do is steal money from the local communities to pay their bloated salaries. 3 retired people could run both operations for pennies on the dollar its a joke!

Reactions: NI hawk
The Iowa High School Athletic Association should be disbanded why do we need all these idiots making 150,000-200,000 to do nothing.!

The girls are the same way. All they do is steal money from the local communities to pay their bloated salaries. 3 retired people could run both operations for pennies on the dollar its a joke!

giphy.gif

My guess is that you coach/have coached; parent/parented a kid in h.s. sports recently or long term you are still bitter over your "glory days". Either way, I know your type of bitching about the associations because you couldn't have your cake and eat it too...or you needed someone else to blame for your failures.

Edit: I know that you don't have a clue about what you are talking about, so I apologize for engaging. Have a good weekend angry pirate.

I'm just gonna sit back and wait for the lawsuit because feeling were hurt.

The kid who completed the 8 laps first should win. Every runner should have known the bell was wrong, and the coaches should have been running after them telling them.

One kid knew it, he won because he's smarter than the others. Give him a medal and an internship.

They should rerun the race. Never been a fan of the State Track Meet allowing kids to run in races they didn't qualify for. Gosh if they rerun the race there might actually be more of the kids who did the actual qualification for state running instead of the fewer kids who run more events at state because the state meet is spread over more days.

The whole concept of allowing faster kids to run in races at state which they didn't qualify in is corrupt.
What are you talking about? Every kid that ran this race qualified for it.

I was in the front row near the finish line (my daughter had just run the 3000m and my son's best friend and future college roommate were running the 3200). When the counter put her hand on the bell as the leaders rounded the far turn, my older son said "they aren't on lap 7, they're on lap 6". I looked at the clock, they hadn't passed the 7 min mark yet.

When she rang the bell, the two of us and a coach behind us started yelling that the count was wrong and they had two laps left. As they came around and crossed, there were a bunch of us yelling they still had a lap left. Roder, the kid from Gehlen, stopped. Anderson, the kid from G-LR, kept running. Most of the next 8-10 stopped or slowed.

It was a mess. I still think they need to name Roder and Anderson co-champions. Punishing Anderson for knowing the count and not pushing a lap early is crap.

BTW, my son's best friend finished 9th. He slowed coming across the line, but didn't stop. But he had kicked the last lap and was dead. He basically jogged the "final" lap, as did most of the first 10-12 runners.
Do you know why Nodaway Valley's Baulder, who was originally given second, was not considered in the final placing? If one goes by the Register's story he did run all the laps and was 2 seconds behind Anderson who, was the original all lap winner.

There was more than one runner who ran all the laps.

Yeah, everyone ran all 8 laps. Except for Anderson, the first 10-12 stopped at the end of 7, then started back up and ran the last lap. The rest of the field kept running when they saw every start back up.

Do you know why Nodaway Valley's Baulder, who was originally given second, was not considered in the final placing? If one goes by the Register's story he did run all the laps and was 2 seconds behind Anderson who, was the original all lap winner.

He ended up 5th, which, if memory serves, is where he was at the end of the 7th lap.

I'm trying to remember specifics about the order and groupings, I think the first 2 were together, with a bit of a gap (maybe 20m) back to the next 3. After that, it was just single runners catching or pulling away from each other. I know my son's friend hit the bell in about 11 or 12 and had moved to 9th by the end of the bell lap, then got passed by a couple of different runners on the last lap.

You have to remember, I wasn't really paying a ton of attention to positions at the end of the bell lap since the race wasn't over. Between the first two and my son's friend, I couldn't tell you who the runners were as they crossed, too busy yelling at the runners and officials that there was a lap left.

What are you talking about? Everyone that runs at the state meet qualified at districts, either through auto-qual (finishing top 2) or through time (being top 8/10/14 non auto-qual).

The State Qual Meets were run the Friday before the State Meet (scheduled for Thursday, moved back a day because of crappy weather). You don't get into the State meet without running at an SQM and meeting the requirements (time or auto-qual).

He ended up 5th, which, if memory serves, is where he was at the end of the 7th lap.

I'm trying to remember specifics about the order and groupings, I think the first 2 were together, with a bit of a gap (maybe 20m) back to the next 3. After that, it was just single runners catching or pulling away from each other. I know my son's friend hit the bell in about 11 or 12 and had moved to 9th by the end of the bell lap, then got passed by a couple of different runners on the last lap.

You have to remember, I wasn't really paying a ton of attention to positions at the end of the bell lap since the race wasn't over. Between the first two and my son's friend, I couldn't tell you who the runners were as they crossed, too busy yelling at the runners and officials that there was a lap left.
Yeah, I realize you wouldn't remember about all of the runners and where they were when such and such happened, but just thought, since you were there, you might have somewhat of an answer to my question. And you seem to know track, which not all these posters do. BTW, anyone, the live races are on the two internet sites(boys and girls associations). I saw a few, but not the 3200. And I hope your daughter did well in the 3000. No matter what she did, she's got grit to tackle that.

The kid that ended up taking first wasn't sure either. He sprinted to the end and then half jogged and kept stopping and looking back but built a lead no one could match. The officials really screwed up and stole a state championship from someone.

Nothing that is done will match the experience and redoing the race won't have anywhere close to the same feel.

Award them both the title and then go off results for the 7 laps for the rest.

Reactions: SSG T and MitchLL
Someone get the name of the official that mucked this up.

We can then publicly shame them on HROT.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT