ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa State fans and JJ Kohl

TheHawk86

HR All-State
Gold Member
Jul 15, 2019
Iowa

Let me start of with the fact that I am sure JJ Kohl is a decent QB or he wouldn't be getting offers. That being said it still blows the mind that these Cyclone Fans keep touting the fake narrative that he chose the Tornado Birds over the Hawkeyes. As we know Marco Lainez was the choice between the two and certainly looks to be the more talented of the two. Kohl appears to be another Petras type to be honest and as for Lainez I am not sure comparison wise but he looks like a nice change of pace with some mobility about him. I didn't careuch seeing it on boards but them a few buddies mentioned that same narrative and here I am posting.

Pointless gripe over...

Let me start of with the fact that I am sure JJ Kohl is a decent QB or he wouldn't be getting offers. That being said it still blows the mind that these Cyclone Fans keep touting the fake narrative that he chose the Tornado Birds over the Hawkeyes. As we know Marco Lainez was the choice between the two and certainly looks to be the more talented of the two. Kohl appears to be another Petras type to be honest and as for Lainez I am not sure comparison wise but he looks like a nice change of pace with some mobility about him. I didn't careuch seeing it on boards but them a few buddies mentioned that same narrative and here I am posting.

Pointless gripe over...
I think he still had the iowa offer which tells me our coaches thought he was as good if not better than Marco.

I think he still had the iowa offer which tells me our coaches thought he was as good if not better than Marco.
Incorrect.

Lainez was offered several months before Kohl (February of last year) but they still both held offers for 6 months before Iowa landed Lainez. While Kohl would have been a nice get had we missed on the former, Lainez was always priority number one.

Recruiting sites don't remove offers that are no longer committable, especially since those offers are just self-reported by the athletes.

Incorrect.

Lainez was offered several months before Kohl (February of last year) but they still both held offers for 6 months before Iowa landed Lainez. While Kohl would have been a nice get had we missed on the former, Lainez was always priority number one.

Recruiting sites don't remove offers that are no longer committable, especially since those offers are just self-reported by the athletes.
Understood.
Did Iowa cancel the visit or Kohl?
Story I heard was Iowa told Kohl they would take two QB's this class since Hogan transferred and they might have another decide to move on later. Again - just what I was told.

Iowa got the Priority #1 QB on Their Board and so did ISU , ISU's 1 was Iowa's 2 , it is factual and doesn't mean ISU's Kid isnt a good get for Them , I could care less what the Minor League team in Ames does except 1 Saturday a Year when like an annoying STD after a late Nighter they have to be dealt with .

Understood.
Story I heard was Iowa told Kohl they would take two QB's this class since Hogan transferred and they might have another decide to move on later. Again - just what I was told.
As I understood it ... the situation became more of a "wait and see" situation with Kohl.

I think that the coaches clearly liked the young man. But, roster situations are dynamic ... and the coaches informed him that a spot could potentially re-open up later.

After all, QB competitions can lead to "fickle" outcomes ... so you never know how a guy is going to respond in such a situation. More often than not, these days, guys transfer.

That Randy Petersen sure can write an article to fit a narrative. Loved the part about their head coach researching and finding recruits. The kid is literally 20 minutes down the road. Congrats to them for getting a good qb that no one knows if he will do anything special at the position but you’d think they just signed a five star at the position. Only in Clownland.

Understood.
The us vs them scenarios that fans tell themselves can be bizarre ... as it there might be some losing face or something like that. There are a lot of talented players out there. Good coaching staffs know how to look and find guys that fit their program. Some years they might just have to do more searching than others.

I'm sure that had Kohl pulled the trigger first ... the Hawkeye coaches would have been just as tickled. Lainez pulled the trigger first. That's how the recruiting game goes.

The staff then moves on to reassess their roster needs and then moves on to land the rest of the recruits that they need to fill needs.

Reactions: Wadukester
Understood.
Iowa did.

Interested in where you heard that, especially since Hogan was already gone by the time Lainez committed.

Reactions: hknation
Iowa did.

Interested in where you heard that, especially since Hogan was already gone by the time Lainez committed.
Same person who told me moss injury was a pcl the same night it happened and i posted that.
No idea if he’s right on this but he has a pretty high batting average.

Iowa got the Priority #1 QB on Their Board and so did ISU , ISU's 1 was Iowa's 2 , it is factual and doesn't mean ISU's Kid isnt a good get for Them , I could care less what the Minor League team in Ames does except 1 Saturday a Year when like an annoying STD after a late Nighter they have to be dealt with .

That is a perfect analogy.

Once Lainez committed, Iowa cancelled Kohl visit and I assume offer was withdrawn as not taking two QBs.
Kohl is a good get for ISU but they didn’t beat out Iowa for him
I assume we're just gonna pretend Hogan was never here and never replace his scholly?
Weird for the most critical position....

I assume we're just gonna pretend Hogan was never here and never replace his scholly?
Petras, Padilla, Labas, and May this fall then Padilla, Labas, May, and Lainez next year. KF likes to have a qb in each class, and it will be interesting to see if anyone transfers out, which you have to think someone will during this transfer portal era.

Understood.
Where were you told that? Iowa and JJ mutually canceled the visit when they told him they were taking Marco.

Same person who told me moss injury was a pcl the same night it happened and i posted that.
No idea if he’s right on this but he has a pretty high batting average.
I have no idea where your friend gets his info, but when seeing it live on TV I thought the Moss injury probably was a PCL. It's a likely diagnosis based on the hard impact to the front of the knee, Moss's expression of pain, and his inability to put weight on the leg. Your friend may have had inside info from someone connected with the team, but anyone with some knowledge of orthopedic injuries could have inferred it.

I have no idea where your friend gets his info, but when seeing it live on TV I thought the Moss injury probably was a PCL. It's a likely diagnosis based on the hard impact to the front of the knee, Moss's expression of pain, and his inability to put weight on the leg. Your friend may have had inside info from someone connected with the team, but anyone with some knowledge of orthopedic injuries could have inferred it.
That’s funny because about 50 posts that night said acl or mcl.
Nobody mentioned pcl until my contact did.

Petras, Padilla, Labas, and May this fall then Padilla, Labas, May, and Lainez next year. KF likes to have a qb in each class, and it will be interesting to see if anyone transfers out, which you have to think someone will during this transfer portal era.

Why do you think Petras won't be here next year? 2020 didn't count and the NFL isn't likely to be an option.

Not that I doubt your contact, but that's not that big of a revelation. Any AT/PT person could guess that, and even just guessing random ligaments in your knee gives you a 1/4 chance.
Wasn’t a guess. Came from sideline info.

That Randy Petersen sure can write an article to fit a narrative. Loved the part about their head coach researching and finding recruits. The kid is literally 20 minutes down the road. Congrats to them for getting a good qb that no one knows if he will do anything special at the position but you’d think they just signed a five star at the position. Only in Clownland.
Randy Peterson types out the next-days propaganda pieces while wearing ISU footy pajamas in his bed shaped like a race-car

Could easily be down to 3 next year.

No bueno

That’s funny because about 50 posts that night said acl or mcl.
Nobody mentioned pcl until my contact did.
I posted about the PCL, but it probably wasn't until a day or two later. I avoid the board after a game begins until the next day - too much negativity, even when the team wins.

Regardless, the impact on the front of the knee is what likely indicates a PCL injury. An ACL tear is more common in sports, but it's caused by sideways movement of the joint. Anyone with some knowledge of knee injuries and who observed the play carefully would have made that preliminary diagnosis.

If that's the case why not listed as RS Jr?

Doesn't matter what they list him as. He was a true FR in 18. He red-shirted that year. This will be his fifth year at Iowa. 2020 did not count against anyone's eligibility. Van Valkenberg was a 6th-year player last year.

Doesn't matter what they list him as. He was a true FR in 18. He red-shirted that year. This will be his fifth year at Iowa. 2020 did not count against anyone's eligibility. Van Valkenberg was a 6th-year player last year.
I thought the 6 year player thing was over starting this year?

The us vs them scenarios that fans tell themselves can be bizarre ... as it there might be some losing face or something like that. There are a lot of talented players out there. Good coaching staffs know how to look and find guys that fit their program. Some years they might just have to do more searching than others.

I'm sure that had Kohl pulled the trigger first ... the Hawkeye coaches would have been just as tickled. Lainez pulled the trigger first. That's how the recruiting game goes.

The staff then moves on to reassess their roster needs and then moves on to land the rest of the recruits that they need to fill needs.

Clearly Lainez was Iowa's #1 choice. As long as Lainez stays committed, and he will, the Iowa coaches don't don't want Kohl as they have their guy. When Lainez committed to Iowa Kohl's offer was no longer committable. Good gets for both team as they are both rated 5.8 four stars. If ISU fans think they got the better one then that is normal delusional thinking by them because nobody knows at this point.

Why replace Hogan? I think I heard Petras has another year after this 2023 season and right now there are Labas and Padilla there so that seems to be plenty of qbs in the room. And the hawks have Leinez and another , Carson May, coming in.

Reactions: BBHawk
ADVERTISEMENT