ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa State fans and JJ Kohl

Let me start of with the fact that I am sure JJ Kohl is a decent QB or he wouldn't be getting offers. That being said it still blows the mind that these Cyclone Fans keep touting the fake narrative that he chose the Tornado Birds over the Hawkeyes. As we know Marco Lainez was the choice between the two and certainly looks to be the more talented of the two. Kohl appears to be another Petras type to be honest and as for Lainez I am not sure comparison wise but he looks like a nice change of pace with some mobility about him. I didn't careuch seeing it on boards but them a few buddies mentioned that same narrative and here I am posting.

Pointless gripe over...

I live in SE Polk school district so have seen Kohl play several times. Pretty good arm, but doesn't yet look like a world-beater. He is NOT like Spencer Petras in the footspeed department though:

Why replace Hogan? I think I heard Petras has another year after this 2023 season and right now there are Labas and Padilla there so that seems to be plenty of qbs in the room. And the hawks have Leinez and another , Carson May, coming in.
6 qbs. That would have been a lot.

I’ve gotten to the point in my life where I’m bored of Iowa State. It’s always the same “on the rise” narrative year after year with the same mediocre results. But somehow many in their fan base are convinced they’re on the cusp of greatness … for about the 25th year in a row since the McCarney days. The narrative has definitely jumped the shark.

I know you are one of our dumbest posters, so I will give you the reason he could come back in 2023 if he chooses in one word.

COVID.
ive heard multiple sites say this is his last year binky

you one of those fake ass fans that support our garbage offense I assume...

Why replace Hogan? I think I heard Petras has another year after this 2023 season and right now there are Labas and Padilla there so that seems to be plenty of qbs in the room. And the hawks have Leinez and another , Carson May, coming in.
if petras doesn't greatly improve he shouldn't be playing for Iowa next year, so he's far from a guarantee even if he does have eligibility

Reactions: not_mantiteo
I am sure that nevertheless the Clown fans are spinning this in more ways than one
This just reminds me of the whole Goodson Brock saga years ago. Where Iowa cancelled brock’s visit after Goodson silent verbal early before he announced shortly there after because he knew at the time before a transfer later Iowa’s plan was for 1 rb and he didn’t want to miss out. But clone fans tried to spin it differently. Both teams got good rbs but funny enough Brock ended up being 2nd fiddle to Hall. Which btw wasn’t impressed with Brock against Clemson in the bowl game.

as for kohl after seeing how Iowa, minus tate, seems to not fair well with 4* who knows. I remember Wisconsin buddy on top of the world with the mertz commit couple years back a top 100 player and now he can’t wait for him to be gone.

Reactions: TheHawk86
Clearly Lainez was Iowa's #1 choice. As long as Lainez stays committed, and he will, the Iowa coaches don't don't want Kohl as they have their guy. When Lainez committed to Iowa Kohl's offer was no longer committable. Good gets for both team as they are both rated 5.8 four stars. If ISU fans think they got the better one then that is normal delusional thinking by them because nobody knows at this point.
What’s delusional about thinking the higher rated QB (10th vs 14th), with more P5 offers (14 vs 6), is better? Wouldn’t the opposite be more delusional?

That Randy Petersen sure can write an article to fit a narrative. Loved the part about their head coach researching and finding recruits. The kid is literally 20 minutes down the road. Congrats to them for getting a good qb that no one knows if he will do anything special at the position but you’d think they just signed a five star at the position. Only in Clownland.
Ol Register Randy - ISU’s personal sports information dir … I mean …. reporter … reminding fans just how awesome Campbell … and everything ISU … is …

What’s delusional about thinking the higher rated QB (10th vs 14th), with more P5 offers (14 vs 6), is better? Wouldn’t the opposite be more delusional?
The difference in those ratings means squat...they're both considered top recruits and each school got the guy they wanted. How they pan out remains to be seen

Last edited:
I could see the Hawks considering a 2nd QB if there had been (or ends up being) more attrition at the QB position.

But yeah ... right now with May coming in this summer ... and Lainez coming in the following year ... the QB room looks like it's currently in a "good place."

The difference in those ratings mean squat...they're both considered top recruits and each school got the guy they wanted. How they pan out remains to be seen
They mean something, obviously. And it’s not just rankings, it’s more than twice as many offers, which means more P5 head coaches think he’s better.

Bottom line it’s not “delusional” for fans to think he’s better. Glad you agree.

They mean something, obviously. And it’s not just rankings, it’s more than twice as many offers, which means more P5 head coaches think he’s better.

Bottom line it’s not “delusional” for fans to think he’s better. Glad you agree.
Attempting to put words in someone else's mouth is one of the clearest indicators that you're full of sh**. But, understanding that you're an ISU fan...that seems a bit redundant.

Last edited:
I’ve gotten to the point in my life where I’m bored of Iowa State. It’s always the same “on the rise” narrative year after year with the same mediocre results. But somehow many in their fan base are convinced they’re on the cusp of greatness … for about the 25th year in a row since the McCarney days. The narrative has definitely jumped the shark.
“Mediocre” is generous.

The rankings are very close, and at least one (ESPN) has Lainez ahead of Kohl. The number of P5 offers doesn't signify much, either. Patrick Mahomes had exactly one (Texas Tech) and he arguably ended up the best in his class. Trey Lance didn't have any, yet he excelled in limited time at NDSU and was a first round NFL pick. The bottom line is that both seem like good high school QBs with potential to do well at the college level. Who actually is better is TBD. It would be delusional to think that one is clearly the better college QB at this point in time.

Understood.
Did Iowa cancel the visit or Kohl?
Story I heard was Iowa told Kohl they would take two QB's this class since Hogan transferred and they might have another decide to move on later. Again - just what I was told.
That’s not true.

Taking two QBs in a class with those rankings guarantees attrition with the current transfer portal. IMO the only way the coaches should have taken two QBs this year was to grab one from the portal.

Story I heard was Iowa told Kohl they would take two QB's this class since Hogan transferred and they might have another decide to move on later. Again - just what I was told.

Hard to believe,.. We have always taken a quarterback with each class specifically to accommodate attrition. Hogan leaving was attrition, so plan executed,.. This program doesn't typically have the luxury of burning two scholarships on quarterbacks in the same class.

Hey Stinky why do we have to ignore that Iowa offered one QB before the other and why Iowa quit recruiting one of the QB’s when they got the kid they wanted?

Oh because as usual a thing that trashes a clown fan delusion must be ignored. Just one of those days that ends in “y” I guess.

Their best games are always the hypothetical ones they haven't played, their best players are always the ones who haven't seen the field yet, the opponent or conference they would have dominated is always the one not on their schedule, their best season is always just right around the corner. When your reality largely sucks...you're relegated to the fantasy world.

Last edited:
Reactions: BDJHawk
Their best games are always the hypothetical ones they haven't played, their best players are always the ones who haven't seen the field yet, the opponent or conference they would have domnated is always the one not on their schedule, their best season is always just right around the corner. When your reality largely sucks...you're relegated to the fantasy world.
Exactly, the clowns would have beaten us if they just didn’t have a game cancelled the first week of the season. The clowns would have beaten us if they just would have scored a TD on their first drive instead of a FG. The clowns would have won the game if the lightning delay hadn’t happened and the refs stole the game with a BS holding call. The clowns would have won the game if Iowa simply wouldn’t have forced 4 turnovers .

Can’t wait to see this years delusional clown fan excuse for why Iowa is better yet again.

This just reminds me of the whole Goodson Brock saga years ago. Where Iowa cancelled brock’s visit after Goodson silent verbal early before he announced shortly there after because he knew at the time before a transfer later Iowa’s plan was for 1 rb and he didn’t want to miss out. But clone fans tried to spin it differently. Both teams got good rbs but funny enough Brock ended up being 2nd fiddle to Hall. Which btw wasn’t impressed with Brock against Clemson in the bowl game.

as for kohl after seeing how Iowa, minus tate, seems to not fair well with 4* who knows. I remember Wisconsin buddy on top of the world with the mertz commit couple years back a top 100 player and now he can’t wait for him to be gone.
Yes no one knows for sure. Kohl could end up being fantastic. Projecting what a HS player is going to do in college is an inexact science. Laniez could end up being fantastic. I like what I see of Laniez because he can actually move and has a good arm. If he has a feel in the pocket he is going to be good.

As you said, Mertz looked like Russell Wilson Part II in his first game against Illinois. Turns out when he faced teams that could pressure him he didn't look so good. That's what no one knows about a HS QB until they actually get into college. How does the QB react when the other team is getting after him and receivers aren't just running wide open down the field and they aren't the best athlete on the field and can just make something happen if needed. The good QB's can adjust, the others don't.

The only advantage between the two QBs being discussed is that Kohl could potentially be a factor in where Patton commits since he transferred to Ankeny this season. Perhaps even Black out of Urbandale. Although with Patton, not to worried about recruits for Iowa's defensive backfield.

Given ISU's problems, and there is a multitude of them, I can certainly understand Clone fans looking for something positive to tout.

Oh man, what a great night. Northern Iowa gets a kid in the first round of the NFL draft. Then Linderbaum goes. Iowa State has now gone 50 years without a first round pick. Remember a couple of years ago when the clown faithful thought Purdy and Hall would both go first round? In the words of the immortal Z; I love it, I love it, I love it.

Oh man, what a great night. Northern Iowa gets a kid in the first round of the NFL draft. Then Linderbaum goes. Iowa State has now gone 50 years without a first round pick. Remember a couple of years ago when the clown faithful thought Purdy and Hall would both go first round? In the words of the immortal Z; I love it, I love it, I love it.
no doubt the refs screwed them...

3 picks left, Hall may still get picked. The Vikings will probably take him

Last edited:
Wait did UT Chattanooga really have a 1st Round pick tonight while the clowns were shut out for what the 50th year in a row?

BBBbbbbbbwwwwwaaaaahahahaha

Wait did UT Chattanooga really have a 1st Round pick tonight while the clowns were shut out for what the 50th year in a row?

BBBbbbbbbwwwwwaaaaahahahaha
In a year where ISU had a multitude of super seniors and one of the most experienced teams in college football, another first round drought

I hope Hall gets drafted tomorrow or we might see Clone fans jumping in front of traffic on I-35.

Understood.
Did Iowa cancel the visit or Kohl?
You were told wrong.

shame-jerry-seinfeld.gif

ADVERTISEMENT