ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa State LOST! LOL

Not terribly surprising.

A lot of new players. Most sane ISU fans expect them to be a bubble team at best this year. They'll get better.
Yeah. Mizzou has a bunch of newbies, too, but highly rated newbies....although the best of them, Lisa Becker's son, only played a couple of minutes (tweaked a hip owie). And ISU was without two bigs who are expected to be in the rotation.

They generally looked like young players who didn't know each other most of the time. My biggest concern was that they missed too many free throws -- which also was the case in exhibition game.

No outside shooters, either, but we knew that (except Jackson, of course). Going to be a big adjustment for fans after 7-8 years of making a lot of treys.

Iowa State is probably a .500 team at best this year.
There is some young talent, but concerning that this Lard kid has already been suspended before his first game. His back-story on the 4-5 places he landed before making it to Iowa State is interesting and guessing he is another head-case.
Hopefully Iowa can make good on the last 2 visits to Ames and lay a 20 point win on the Clones in Hilton.

Just another nonconference game for the Hawkeyes. I'll get interested about a day before we play them. But, interesting posts because I learned there are sane ISU fans, and they are relying on Lard.

Yeah. Mizzou has a bunch of newbies, too, but highly rated newbies....although the best of them, Lisa Becker's son, only played a couple of minutes (tweaked a hip owie). And ISU was without two bigs who are expected to be in the rotation.

They generally looked like young players who didn't know each other most of the time. My biggest concern was that they missed too many free throws -- which also was the case in exhibition game.

No outside shooters, either, but we knew that (except Jackson, of course). Going to be a big adjustment for fans after 7-8 years of making a lot of treys.

Is that Lisa Becker who starred at St Ambrose, coached there and then Illinois state?

Is that Lisa Becker who starred at St Ambrose, coached there and then Illinois state?

No, that was Robin Becker (Pingeton). Her sister Lisa played at Iowa. Robin is the coach at Missouri who is playing in the Iowa Womens tournament this weekend.

The ones that post on here were predicting smooth sailing and another ncaa appearance after Freddys players were gone.

Those must not be the sane variety. Haven't meet many of those on here or in person.

I predicted McDermott 2.0.

Honestly we know little about how our own team will overcome it's deficiencies after playing Chicago State.

Reactions: NI hawk
Oh. Missouri is Power 5. I thought this was going to be ISU losing to a team ranked 318 or something--someone like Chicago State. Not a big deal. Glad they lost, though.

I can't remember the last thread I watched where a poster didn't twist another posters comments around to fit their narrative. I don't know if it's a matter of people not fully reading or just not understanding the post. Maybe it's that some posters just like contradicting what everyone else says. I don't think people are claiming to know exactly how ISU will fare this season based on 1 game. It seems to be more of a reaction to the delusional claims made by a lot of ISU fan's.

Reactions: DanL53
I can't remember the last thread I watched where a poster didn't twist another posters comments around to fit their narrative. I don't know if it's a matter of people not fully reading or just not understanding the post. Maybe it's that some posters just like contradicting what everyone else says. I don't think people are claiming to know exactly how ISU will fare this season based on 1 game. It seems to be more of a reaction to the delusional claims made by a lot of ISU fan's.

Watch this. I'll start another thread and watch what happens. :D I'll compare a couple guys and use the word "like", chaos should ensue.

The ones that post on here were predicting smooth sailing and another ncaa appearance after Freddys players were gone.

Those must not be the sane variety. Haven't meet many of those on here or in person.

I predicted McDermott 2.0.

I think you're talking two extremes. Expecting to be a bubble team is way too much for this squad, but McD 2.0 is probably way too much.

I have disagreed that ISU has a lot of talent this year with a lot of fans. I Jackson is okay, but is better off the ball, and is now being relied upon to be the PG. You can tell watching Wigginton that he has oodles of talent but he just made some weird choices during that game. He'll get better. After that... you have a bunch of okay players.

McD's last year, he had 3 NBA players on his team, a guy who averaged a double double in conference play... and finished 11th in the conference, 15-17, and 4-12 in the conf. That is hands down the worst coaching job in ISU history.

Reactions: And1Hawk

I think ISU will still be fun to watch as the players get a few more games under their belt. Lots of nice, young talent on the roster.

Hawks have played corpses to this point. They've dismantled them, but anything less would not be a good showing.
'clones played a decent missouri team. Not a great team to be sure. But still a power 5 team, at least in the top 60.
'clones may struggle. But I'm not reading a lot into that one loss.

Hawks have played corpses to this point. They've dismantled them, but anything less would not be a good showing.
'clones played a decent missouri team. Not a great team to be sure. But still a power 5 team, at least in the top 60.
'clones may struggle. But I'm not reading a lot into that one loss.

Yes making any judgments about how good/bad Iowa and Iowa State will be this year after what we've seen is foolish. The teams Iowa has played so far are flat-out terrible. If Michael Porter, Jr. plays all year Missouri will be tough to beat at home. Nothing I've seen would cause me to say Iowa State won't be a slight favorite at home against Iowa.

Reactions: And1Hawk
I read Randy Peterson's write-up. This Lard chap has turned into a Willie Guy equivalent. Just as soon as he plays, everything is gonna be good.
ISU will have legal, discipline, team chemistry, eligibility and transfer problems going forward. Prohm seems to be enforcing accountability so you may even hear about these issues unlike with the former coach.

Last edited:
I think you're talking two extremes. Expecting to be a bubble team is way too much for this squad, but McD 2.0 is probably way too much.

I have disagreed that ISU has a lot of talent this year with a lot of fans. I Jackson is okay, but is better off the ball, and is now being relied upon to be the PG. You can tell watching Wigginton that he has oodles of talent but he just made some weird choices during that game. He'll get better. After that... you have a bunch of okay players.

McD's last year, he had 3 NBA players on his team, a guy who averaged a double double in conference play... and finished 11th in the conference, 15-17, and 4-12 in the conf. That is hands down the worst coaching job in ISU history.
You're covering a lot of territory there. I'd say Lynn Nance has a claim to that "honor" for the 1978-79 season. The previous year they were 14-13 and 9-5; they returned all five starters, two of whom were first-team all-conference -- one led the league in scoring, the other led the nation in rebounding. Team went 11-16 overall, 8-6 in the league.

Iowa St losing at home to Wisconsin Milwaukee, going to be a long season over in Ames. Prohm really looking in over his head at this point.

Reactions: unIowa
Iowa St losing at home to Wisconsin Milwaukee, going to be a long season over in Ames. Prohm really looking in over his head at this point.
Milwaukee is projected to go 8-22 with an RPI of 262.. Iowa state might not even be a top 100 win and would be a bad loss on paper for Iowa!

Reactions: unIowa
Instate rivalries are still very dangerous. Especially when we play in Hilton.

But again, until we are actually near the date of the game I'm focused on November and our current schedule.

(OK...but yes, it's fun and I imagine all the Prohmblem Children will be throwing tantrums.)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT