ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa State LOST! LOL

They can't get worse. Tonight was amazing. They were vastly better against Mizzou than they were tonight. Made two field goals in the first 18 minutes of the second half. Had more turnovers than baskets, let alone assists. Looked totally lost, like none of them had ever seen a basketball game, much less played in one. And I'm being kind.

:eek: That is beyond horrible, wow.

How what works? You posted two years out of Fran's tenure at Iowa, here I'll do the whole thing for you.

No postseason, NIT, NIT runner up, NCAA, Round of 32, Round of 32, NIT. Built the program up from the lowest it's ever been to a point where a rebuilding season is now 10-8 in the B10. Prohm took over a good program and made it worse, think they're gonna win 10 games in conference play this year? Let's bet on that.
who the hell would take that bet? They’re probably looking at 8th thru 10th in the conference. Whatever, this is why I don’t get involved in ISU threads. I’ll steer clear for now.

Reactions: HawkeyeHoltkamp
who the hell would take that bet? They’re probably looking at 8th thru 10th in the conference. Whatever, this is why I don’t get involved in ISU threads. I’ll steer clear for now.
Please stay away from any threads. You sound like a dumb****. If you can't get excited about where Fran has positioned this program with the young talent I don't know what to tell you. Go enjoy that great sweet 16 run ISU had against double digit seeds. Prohm inherited one of the best back courts in the country with Morris and Thomas and didn't do anything with it.

Randy Peterson was almost incapable of writing complete sentences after that game: “A rebuild? Poor shot selection. No inside presence. No taking care of the ball. No season-opening home win.”

Facing an 100+ team in a rivalry game on the road. Great.

To be fair, while Milwaukee is no world beaters they would do exactly the same thing to Chicago St, Alabama State and Grambling that we are. Youve got to be sane and realize we still don't know what we've got here.

To be fair, while Milwaukee is no world beaters they would do exactly the same thing to Chicago St, Alabama State and Grambling that we are. Youve got to be sane and realize we still don't know what we've got here.

Of coarse you're right, but having watched college basketball for over 60 year....Iowa passes my eye test on being more then just pretty good. Can the season go either way, yeah it could, but I'm confident that this year will be the turning point in Fran's tenure at Iowa....

Reactions: DanL53

They beat Wisconsin-Lacrosse by 10. I’m not sure they would do the exact same thing.

I think they had fivebaskets in the second half (and three of them were late) and NO assists. Yikes!

Milwaukee did not look like a good team. Clones had better hope Lard and Brase are total studs or they just might finish in the Big 12 basement.

i dont follow ISU BB..the only reason i watched last night is we switched to Mediacom and we have the cyclone network..so I have a question..whats the deal with this Lard guy?

His he injured?

I also listened to Prohm after the game..he is playing its us against all of our doubters...(AKA ISU fans)...you cant watch that and not question WTF is going on...

Yes making any judgments about how good/bad Iowa and Iowa State will be this year after what we've seen is foolish. The teams Iowa has played so far are flat-out terrible. If Michael Porter, Jr. plays all year Missouri will be tough to beat at home. Nothing I've seen would cause me to say Iowa State won't be a slight favorite at home against Iowa.
Michael Porter only played couple of minutes against ISU before going out with an injury

i dont follow ISU BB..the only reason i watched last night is we switched to Mediacom and we have the cyclone network..so I have a question..whats the deal with this Lard guy?

His he injured?

I also listened to Prohm after the game..he is playing its us against all of our doubters...(AKA ISU fans)...you cant watch that and not question WTF is going on...
1. To reply to another poster's comment -- Iowa State played much, much, MUCH worse last night than Iowa played against Nebraska-Omaha last year.

2. To reply to your question -- Lard was suspended for two games for an unspecified "violation of team rules." At ISU, as at almost every other school, that is coacheese for either missing practices/meetings or being caught with the dread mary jane weed.

Lard was fairly highly touted as a prep, was one of those guys who went to several high schools, got crosswise to the state association's eligibility rules, and hardly played his senior year. He also didn't qualify immediately, so he didn't enroll at ISU until the second semester. He would have been eligible to play, but Prohm chose to hold him out until this season.

He gets better (in the minds of some fans) the longer he doesn't see the court. That's pretty standard, I think.

The other player who hasn't seen action is a grad transfer from Princeton, Hans Brase. He's 6-9 and shot 35% from beyond the arc....when he played. He only played in 5 games his last two seasons. Tore his ACL and required two surgeries. He didn't get medical clearance to play in the first two games, but my understanding is that he has gotten it now.

I don't expect the team to play as badly as it did last night. I'm not sure that would be possible unless it was intentional. But I also, based on the two games, have trouble seeing a winning season or anything really close to it. I expected a big dropoff from the kind of teams we've gotten used to seeing, but I didn't expect to lose by 20 at home to a bottom-tier Horizon League team.

Reactions: AZmess
1. To reply to another poster's comment -- Iowa State played much, much, MUCH worse last night than Iowa played against Nebraska-Omaha last year.

2. To reply to your question -- Lard was suspended for two games for an unspecified "violation of team rules." At ISU, as at almost every other school, that is coacheese for either missing practices/meetings or being caught with the dread mary jane weed.

Lard was fairly highly touted as a prep, was one of those guys who went to several high schools, got crosswise to the state association's eligibility rules, and hardly played his senior year. He also didn't qualify immediately, so he didn't enroll at ISU until the second semester. He would have been eligible to play, but Prohm chose to hold him out until this season.

He gets better (in the minds of some fans) the longer he doesn't see the court. That's pretty standard, I think.

The other player who hasn't seen action is a grad transfer from Princeton, Hans Brase. He's 6-9 and shot 35% from beyond the arc....when he played. He only played in 5 games his last two seasons. Tore his ACL and required two surgeries. He didn't get medical clearance to play in the first two games, but my understanding is that he has gotten it now.

I don't expect the team to play as badly as it did last night. I'm not sure that would be possible unless it was intentional. But I also, based on the two games, have trouble seeing a winning season or anything really close to it. I expected a big dropoff from the kind of teams we've gotten used to seeing, but I didn't expect to lose by 20 at home to a bottom-tier Horizon League team.

thanks...didnt know the history of Lard...seems it may be critical for the success or potential of competing that the recruiting of Lard pans out.

its early and as poorly as your team played last night....to me it was how they played together that would be more alarming than just missing shots, etc.
You mention the Iowa Omaha game last year (which anyone that knows me knows I was infuriated...which isnt very common for me)....it wasnt poor play...it was a serious lack of competing as a team.....instead it was running up the floor & whoever has a shot(good or bad) jacks it up.

Prohm is where he is at because he has been there...I'm sure he has already addressed things with your guys. I know one thing...your team will be ready for us...always are.

as long as the better team wins...I'm ok with that.

No, you're wrong. I watched a good portion of the Milwaukee game and they really are not a good team, although I agree with you that Iowa is still a bit of an unknown at this point. Grambling won't illuminate the situation much, but the Cayman Tournament might. I just hope we're as giddy about this team once it is over.

Iowa St losing at home to Wisconsin Milwaukee, going to be a long season over in Ames. Prohm really looking in over his head at this point.

I could see Freddie making his way back to Ames if things lined up correct (Prohm and Freddie both sucking this year).

Yeah this is a tough spot for Prohm to walk into in his first year on the job...oh wait it's his third year there.

I've made a comment on this before for Prohm and same with Gard at Wisconsin. Both inherited teams with strong group of upperclassmen especially both of the junior classes they had which made first 2 seasons a success. These next season or 2 we will see how good they are. Gard does have the luxury of being in his program prior.

Problem for ISU is have zero low post presence on both ends of the floor. Unlike last year they don't have a lineup that can shoot the 3 ball like they did with group of seniors they lost. Plus Morris made life easier for everyone on offense creating the open shots for his guys.

I've made a comment on this before for Prohm and same with Gard at Wisconsin. Both inherited teams with strong group of upperclassmen especially both of the junior classes they had which made first 2 seasons a success. These next season or 2 we will see how good they are. Gard does have the luxury of being in his program prior.

Problem for ISU is have zero low post presence on both ends of the floor. Unlike last year they don't have a lineup that can shoot the 3 ball like they did with group of seniors they lost. Plus Morris made life easier for everyone on offense creating the open shots for his guys.
If the problem were simply a lack of low post presence, I would be more optimistic. The two guys who haven't played yet are 6-9.

I'm not down on Prohm, although naturally, some fans have never liked the hire. I think he knows what he's doing, and according to all the alleged experts, his recruiting has been outstanding the past couple of years.

I think the mistake I made was not realizing that while the three returnees are good players, they were all role players last year.

I could see Freddie making his way back to Ames if things lined up correct (Prohm and Freddie both sucking this year).

Not a chance. His health and his aversion to recruiting? Not a chance.

From the Gazette:

Iowa State lost 74-56 to Milwaukee in the Cyclones’ home opener. Milwaukee (2-0) was picked to finish eighth in the 10-team Horizon League. It was the first loss in a home opener for the Cyclones since they lost to UNI in 1997.

The Cyclones (0-2) looked out of sorts on both ends of the court. They turned the ball over, fouled, had bad closeouts on shooters, got out-rebounded and didn’t run effective offensive sets – they didn’t look crisp in any part of the game.

Iowa State trailed by double digits for the final 11 minutes of the game.

Last edited:
this team is not showing any cracks in the armor [YET] if Iowa plays #12 Cincinnati in the Caymen Island Classic then we can get a good idea of how good this can be win or lose.

Just a heads-up for any who might care. Cyclones are playing Appalachian State in the first round of the San Juan Shoot-out at 4:30 CST today. Game is being played in suburban Myrtle Beach, FL because of Hurricane Irma. It's on ESPNU.

Just a heads-up for any who might care. Cyclones are playing Appalachian State in the first round of the San Juan Shoot-out at 4:30 CST today. Game is being played in suburban Myrtle Beach, FL because of Hurricane Irma. It's on ESPNU.
Just saw that. Will have to DVR it. Reffing JH basketball at 4.

I think U are a day ahead..actually play tomorrow

If the problem were simply a lack of low post presence, I would be more optimistic. The two guys who haven't played yet are 6-9.

I'm not down on Prohm, although naturally, some fans have never liked the hire. I think he knows what he's doing, and according to all the alleged experts, his recruiting has been outstanding the past couple of years.

I think the mistake I made was not realizing that while the three returnees are good players, they were all role players last year.
I tried to tell you this last year. :)

My understanding is they have studs coming in/sitting out transfer year.

I assume this year is going to be ugly.

My understanding is they have studs coming in/sitting out transfer year.

I assume this year is going to be ugly.
They have a good recruiting class it seems. As far as transfers, both are role players. Jacobsen was blah for Nebraska, Shayok average 9 points for Virginia. They lose Jackson, Beverly(blah), and Brise(no idea). They'd return Babb, Wiggington, Lewis, Lard, Young, Long, and Talley. They'd be a better team next year, but still hovering around a bubble to me. Sounds like one and done, or two and done is in Wiggington's head already, per Randy Peterson. If he leaves after two, they'd lose Babb, Talley, Wiggington, and Shayok after next year. So the following year, they'd return Lewis, Lard, Young, Jacobson, Long, and that freshman class. I think much of ISU's future tourney appearances, depend on Wiggington staying around for more than 2, to be honest.

They have a good recruiting class it seems. As far as transfers, both are role players. Jacobsen was blah for Nebraska, Shayok average 9 points for Virginia. They lose Jackson, Beverly(blah), and Brise(no idea). They'd return Babb, Wiggington, Lewis, Lard, Young, Long, and Talley. They'd be a better team next year, but still hovering around a bubble to me. Sounds like one and done, or two and done is in Wiggington's head already, per Randy Peterson. If he leaves after two, they'd lose Babb, Talley, Wiggington, and Shayok after next year. So the following year, they'd return Lewis, Lard, Young, Jacobson, Long, and that freshman class. I think much of ISU's future tourney appearances, depend on Wiggington staying around for more than 2, to be honest.
If Wiggington plays well enough to be one (or two) and done, the team will have a lot more wins that it appears now.

They need a PG. This year and next.

If Wiggington plays well enough to be one (or two) and done, the team will have a lot more wins that it appears now.

They need a PG. This year and next.
Isn't Jackson supposed to be the point this year? I'm afraid that even if Wiggington plays like a one and done this year, the team itself will still not make the tourney.

I don't know that much about Coach Prohm but from what I have seen it doesn't appear he likes to run many sets. Likes to spread the court and let his guys dribble penetrate. With an inexperienced team it appears you have a lot of guys standing around doing nothing. They seem pretty good in transition but often they don't push the ball. They walk it up. Not sure I can understand what the heck they are trying to do on offense. Maybe when the Lard fellow starts to play things will open up more for the guards.

Reactions: DanL53
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT