ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa State Offers Iowa City West's Devontae Lane

1BigGalloot

Rookie
Sep 3, 2013
Devontae Lane's first scholarship offer came today from Iowa State. I'm sure the Cyclones went first to make a point. An AAU and high school teammate of Connor McCaffery's, if Iowa wants him, you would think they could have him. Probably the only people who know that are the McCaffery and Lane families, and maybe I.C. West coach Steve Bergman and Barnstormer AAU coach Jamie Johnson.

Perhaps more significant than anything is the fact that Hoiberg's staff actually offered an Iowa prep.

Comments, thoughts are welcome.

Reactions: mick82
Is his family Hawkeye supporters?

Some pretty good instate talent coming through in the coming years: Pemsl (16), McCaffery/Lane (17), Wieskamp (18), P. McCaffery (19)

Anyone from the Sioux City area coming up to know about?

Devontae Lane's first scholarship offer came today from Iowa State. I'm sure the Cyclones went first to make a point. An AAU and high school teammate of Connor McCaffery's, if Iowa wants him, you would think they could have him. Probably the only people who know that are the McCaffery and Lane families, and maybe I.C. West coach Steve Bergman and Barnstormer AAU coach Jamie Johnson.

Perhaps more significant than anything is the fact that Hoiberg's staff actually offered an Iowa prep.

Comments, thoughts are welcome.
ISU has been following Lane for a long time...considering how young he is.

And apparently they offered an 8th grader out of Minnesota today. Kind of a 360 in terms of recruiting style by offering young local kids.

And apparently they offered an 8th grader out of Minnesota today. Kind of a 360 in terms of recruiting style by offering young local kids.
What good Iowa preps has Fred not offered? I'm serious. He offered Gesell. Obviously offered Paige. He was recruiting Jok until Lefty Moore screwed up and ISU had to end the effort. Offered Uthoff twice (out of high school and when he left Wisconsin).

Some pretty good instate talent coming through in the coming years: Pemsl (16), McCaffery/Lane (17), Wieskamp (18), P. McCaffery (19)

Good question-since Heinrich I've been waiting for someone good to come out of that town.

What good Iowa preps has Fred not offered? I'm serious. He offered Gesell. Obviously offered Paige. He was recruiting Jok until Lefty Moore screwed up and ISU had to end the effort. Offered Uthoff twice (out of high school and when he left Wisconsin).

Not saying he hasn't recruited Iowa kids, but offering this early is pretty unusual I'd say. We'll see how much he pursues these kids as they get older and when transfers come available. NOT SAYING IT'S WRONG, so don't kill me there. It's just interesting that in 5 years of being at ISU, has he had any Iowa kids on scholarship? Also I find CyFan humorous because Iowa kids are the type they would make fun of for going to Iowa.

Not saying he hasn't recruited Iowa kids, but offering this early is pretty unusual I'd say. We'll see how much he pursues these kids as they get older and when transfers come available. NOT SAYING IT'S WRONG, so don't kill me there. It's just interesting that in 5 years of being at ISU, has he had any Iowa kids on scholarship? Also I find CyFan humorous because Iowa kids are the type they would make fun of for going to Iowa.
There really has not been a ton of Iowa talent to chase while he has been coach. He offered Abrahamson, Uthoff, Woody, Morgan, etc, but none said yes. There really has not been much elite in state talent the last couple years since he got the ship righted and has elevated the program.

Reactions: Terry Hoitz
There really has not been a ton of Iowa talent to chase while he has been coach. He offered Abrahamson, Uthoff, Woody, Morgan, etc, but none said yes. There really has not been much elite in state talent the last couple years since he got the ship righted and has elevated the program.

That's fair. Just an interesting discussion topic based on how the two programs have developed in different ways since Fred and Fran took over.

Reactions: Myvue

There is always Iowa Mr. Basketball Daniel Tillo of SC North. I believe he's still uncommitted but hasn't been offered by any of the state schools. At 6' 5" he's also a helluva left pitcher in baseball and was QB in football. Comes from a bb family though and that is his first love. Believe he led the state in scoring 3 years in a row and was 1st team all state all three years.

There is always Iowa Mr. Basketball Daniel Tillo of SC North. I believe he's still uncommitted but hasn't been offered by any of the state schools. At 6' 5" he's also a helluva left pitcher in baseball and was QB in football. Comes from a bb family though and that is his first love. Believe he led the state in scoring 3 years in a row and was 1st team all state all three years.

What's the scoop on Mr. Tillo? He's posted some amazing numbers during his career, but doesn't seem to have generated much interest other than a couple of small-mid majors. I'm kind of curious why that is (if you know at all).

There really hasn't been any top end basketball talent to offer lately.
And they have been targeting top end Wisconsin and Minnesota talent for awhile now under Fred.

What's the scoop on Mr. Tillo? He's posted some amazing numbers during his career, but doesn't seem to have generated much interest other than a couple of small-mid majors. I'm kind of curious why that is (if you know at all).

No one seems to know. Think he's been offered by a SD school and possibly San Jose St. Some think he may sign a baseball contract but he wants to play basketball. It's not like he's unathletic. He played well in AAU, dominating at times from what I've read. His jr. year they inserted him at QB the last 2 games and he set total yardage records of 600+ with a couple of long TD runs. His uncle John played bb for ISU in the 70's and his dad Vince was a very good bb player also.

They may be putting more emphasis on prep players instead of transfers. The NCAA members are meeting soon & per the article on ESPN transfers are being a priority for the discussion along with a 30 second shot clock.

Sounds like a lot of wishful thinking.
It's probably wishful thinking, but it's also absolutely true. Niang, Long, McKay and Nader will be leaving for sure, and there's a good chance Morris will leave a year early. That's one hell of a hole to fill. But to believe ISU will sink into oblivian when they leave is fairly wishful. The cupboard won't be bare.

It's probably wishful thinking, but it's also absolutely true. Niang, Long, McKay and Nader will be leaving for sure, and there's a good chance Morris will leave a year early. That's one hell of a hole to fill. But to believe ISU will sink into oblivian when they leave is fairly wishful. The cupboard won't be bare.

We heard the same thing when Wayne Morgan took over.

We heard the same thing when Wayne Morgan took over.
And we heard ISU would struggle after losing White, Clyburn, Babb, Lucious, Kane, Ejim, etc. How long before you get banned for the sixth time or so? Impressive that you can accomplish that as a paying member. Not just anyone can be that loathed.

And we heard ISU would struggle after losing White, Clyburn, Babb, Lucious, Kane, Ejim, etc. How long before you get banned for the sixth time or so? Impressive that you can accomplish that as a paying member. Not just anyone can be that loathed.

UAB says isu didn't miss a beat by losing Kane and Ejim. But do set us straight Farmer.

Maybe this will be Fred's last year due to health. It could be TJ making the offers since he will be their next coach.
+1, TJ seems like he was brought in for a reason. I think Fred And isu know his coaching career is probably going to be forced by health. Unfortunate for isu and fh. This season may very well be his last run, with a very good team.

+1, TJ seems like he was brought in for a reason. I think Fred And isu know his coaching career is probably going to be forced by health. Unfortunate for isu and fh. This season may very well be his last run, with a very good team.

You don't want health issues to be why any coach isn't able to continue. Here is to hoping FH is better than ever and talk about him stepping down is something that becomes a myth.

I'm fully aware of the heart surgery Freddy had, but is there something I have missed that would indicate he won't be coaching much longer? I thought it was a valve/rhythm issue.

I think TJ was brought in because there suddenly was an opening and Fred would have preferred that TJ hadn't left for Washington when he did. TJ's familiarity with the program would have been another big plus if one had been needed -- which it wasn't -- because with Fred heading for Mayo and then some recovery time, it's a big advantage to have a guy who can hit the ground running.

And in a related matter, unless there's something nobody knows, there's no reason Fred's health should force him to quit coaching. It makes sense to think his health would provide a big incentive not to coach in the NBA, though.

I think TJ was brought in because there suddenly was an opening and Fred would have preferred that TJ hadn't left for Washington when he did. TJ's familiarity with the program would have been another big plus if one had been needed -- which it wasn't -- because with Fred heading for Mayo and then some recovery time, it's a big advantage to have a guy who can hit the ground running.

And in a related matter, unless there's something nobody knows, there's no reason Fred's health should force him to quit coaching. It makes sense to think his health would provide a big incentive not to coach in the NBA, though.
Just because you don't know something, doesn't mean somebody doesn't know something.

Lane just finished his soph year in high school...if ISU was going to be in the picture they know they needed to get ahead of the curve...they did just that with the offer.

It would not surprise me Lane commits to ISU....it does not surprise me that Fran has yet to offer.

They better hope Fred doesn't step down. If he does ISU women's basketball will be their best athletic program again as it was before the mayor got there.

After heart surgeries like Fred's, a patient has to take blood thinners. This means he can't eat spinach or kale. If a person can't eat kale, how can he or she be happy? Look at Jamie, he gave up Kale (or was it Cael). In the near future,I may have to undergo a procedure wherein I can't eat kale anymore, so I am putting it off as long a possible, just for that reason. (Sorry, just one of those days, y'know.)

Uh........did it occu to you that maybe this was the reason I used the word "unless" in my post?
No your entire sentence is contradicting itself, much like you do on here all the time, so nobody can pin you to the wall for being an idiot. There are people that know stuff, it's just not you.

No your entire sentence is contradicting itself, much like you do on here all the time, so nobody can pin you to the wall for being an idiot. There are people that know stuff, it's just not you.
No, my entire sentence is entirely consistent and easy to understand for anyone with a decent grasp of English. And yes, it is what I try to do here all the time, which is be specific in order to minimize the odds of being mischaracterized. It doesn't always work, as this exemplifies. In this case, instead of "nobody" I should have said "none of us" instead of assuming that was apparent. But then you'd have found something else.

Reactions: silasstarr
No, my entire sentence is entirely consistent and easy to understand for anyone with a decent grasp of English. And yes, it is what I try to do here all the time, which is be specific in order to minimize the odds of being mischaracterized. It doesn't always work, as this exemplifies. In this case, instead of "nobody" I should have said "none of us" instead of assuming that was apparent. But then you'd have found something else.
Oh the irony in everything you say. TJ was brought in for a reason, promises were made behind the scenes. Once I'm right, you'll back pedal like always, which has to be gatting hard with your weight and age.

Reactions: eddie4star
If you look back at when Fred showed up at ISU, I think he said he was recruiting the way he did with transfers, jucos & thugs was just to get the program turned around in a hurry which he did. And then go back to "normal" recruiting.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT