ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Statehouse update

lucas80

HB King
Gold Member
Jan 30, 2008
I heard a discussion on IPR today about how the anti-bullying bill may not survive this session of the legislature. It is a priority of Terry Branstad, and he has willing Democrats in the Senate ready to push something through. It's the far right, who has never really trusted Branstad, that is blocking the bill. I don't trivialize all the objections. There is a point about school administrators in some instances not reporting bullying to the parents. But, there are plenty of bad parents in Iowa. There may be other avenues to pursue in handle bullying.
It is the far right that is holding up expanding laws to cover texting while driving bans. Principally that a police officer can pull a driver over purely for the suspicion of texting while driving. I guess there is some large constituency for endangering people's lives while texting behind the wheel.

It's hard to accurately define the term and much more difficult to interpret what it means.

I am struck by the story of the folks in Maryland who lost and regained their children because they allow them to walk the streets of their neighborhood at all hours of the day/night. It might be "strange" but surely nothing the State had to become involved with...it was initially complained by well intentioned neighbors "who felt sorry" for these kids.
Hells bells, the kids are fine. Appear well adjusted and well mannered. The kids are afraid the State is going to remove them from their parents again.

I am not advocating bullying but this nonsense that we need to create a perfect world for our kids is ridiculous. Kids need to learn to feel all of these emotions and better yet, learn to deal with them. It makes them into normal people down the road.

If you want a messed up kid, go ahead and be hypersensitive to every problem they have and never let them have to face their emotions or problems their selves.

Originally posted by hexumhawk:

I am not advocating bullying but this nonsense that we need to create a perfect world for our kids is ridiculous. Kids need to learn to feel all of these emotions and better yet, learn to deal with them. It makes them into normal people down the road.

If you want a messed up kid, go ahead and be hypersensitive to every problem they have and never let them have to face their emotions or problems their selves.
Tell me more about this survival of the fittest dystopia you yearn for.

Originally posted by lucas80:

Originally posted by hexumhawk:

Tell me more about this survival of the fittest dystopia you yearn for.
You just bullied me and I am telling on you

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT