ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Supreme Court upholds 2023 abortion ban

cigaretteman

HB King
May 29, 2001
Deplorable:

The Iowa Supreme Court upheld an abortion law Friday that bans abortions once fetal cardiac activity is detected. Doctors say that is typically at six weeks of pregnancy.

Iowa Gov. Kim Reynolds signed the law in July of 2023. Days later, an Iowa judge temporarily blocked the ban.

Advertisement

The state appealed that ruling, and asked the Iowa Supreme Court to take up the case. The court heard arguments in April and on Friday released its decision.

"Our holding today — applying rational basis as the constitutional test — undermines the rationale for the district court’s ruling," according to the Supreme Court's decision. "Under the rational basis test, Planned Parenthood cannot show a likelihood of success on the merits of its substantive due process challenge. We thus hold that Planned Parenthood is not entitled to a temporary injunction blocking enforcement of the fetal heartbeat statute. We reverse the order granting the temporary injunction and remand the case for the district court to dissolve the temporary injunction and continue with further proceedings."

The law makes an exception for pregnant women who report a rape within 45 days or incest in 140 days.

Iowa Democratic Party officials released a statement attributed to party chair Rita Hart, saying "Republicans went too far with this abortion ban,"

"Today Iowa women have been stripped of reproductive rights that they have maintained for more than 50 years.

"We’ve already seen the effects that these new and extreme abortion bans have on states like Alabama – where IVF is in jeopardy – and in Texas, where women have been forced to miscarry in lobby restrooms because hospitals refused to help them while they’re experiencing medical emergencies.

"It's obvious Kim Reynolds and Iowa Republicans do not trust women to make their own decisions regarding their own medical care or for doctors to use their best judgment while treating their patients."

The Family Leader, a conservative group, posted this reaction on X, formerly known as Twitter:

"HUGE NEWS! A monumental step forward for human rights. The child in her mother's womb, with her own distinct DNA, own #heartbeat, #ShesABaby, and she is endowed by her Creator with an unalienable right to #life!"

Reactions: MitchLL
It already has gone to the people. They're called elections.
Which election had a referendum on abortion? Be specific.
Clearly you have no objection to a referendum on abortion in a future election, then? Much like the use of eminent domain to seize the land of rural Iowans, Kim is well into negative polling territory when it comes to abortion.

I get the pro life argument, but I don't think 6 weeks is enough time. 12 to 14 weeks seems reasonable to me, though I will mention (again) that while I am pro choice I cannot stand the pro abortion contingent that don't have any concern with ending life. Abortion is incredibly sad and should be a last resort only.

Kimmie mentioned a robust system of adoption in Iowa becoming the norm. Who is going to pay for this, and who is going to regulate it?
Oddly enough she also mentioned protections for IVF? She is out of step with her base.

"I'm glad that the Iowa Supreme Court has upheld the will of the people of Iowa." - Govenor Kim Reynolds
This was “the will of the people” Northern? When was this vote taken? When did “the people” express their opinion on abortion??
This is the work a singularly minded Governor and her having veto-proof lick-step legislature. This bill,as written, would not get 25% of a popular vote of the people. You know it as well as I. There are a lot of moral midgets in Iowa.

So you are saying a majority of Iowans support this new abortion law? I was never asked and either was my bride. Were you asked?

No idea.

Do you support a referendum vote for all new laws moving forward? Or is it just the ones that you can't get through the normal legislative process?

No idea.

Do you support a referendum vote for all new laws moving forward? Or is it just the ones that you can't get through the normal legislative process?

Here's an idea for ya. NO, THEY WOULD NOT SUPPORT THIS AND NOT EVEN CLOSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A majority of Iowans believe abortion should be legal in most or all cases, according to a new Des Moines Register/Mediacom Iowa Poll.

Sixty-one percent of Iowa adults say abortion should be legal in all or most cases, while 35% say the procedure should be illegal in most or all cases.

More than two-thirds of Iowa women, 70%, say abortion should be legal in most or all cases. Democrats also are broadly in favor, with 87% favoring legal abortion.

Likewise, 72% of Iowans under age 35 and 70% of city dwellers also say abortion should be legal in all or most cases.

No idea.

I believe one that directly affects one’s rights, such as this certainly deserves scrutiny if Iowa voters. This law in Iowa is different than what’s the law for 50 years and different than that of neighboring states. I honestly believe that this law does not reflect what Iowans want.
Do you believe this law is an honest representation of Iowans and their morality? I don’t.

No idea.

Would you be comfortable if the next legislature made abortion legal through say, the 22 nd week? And did so in the middle of the night, late in the legislative session?

I believe one that directly affects one’s rights, such as this certainly deserves scrutiny if Iowa voters. This law in Iowa is different than what’s the law for 50 years and different than that of neighboring states. I honestly believe that this law does not reflect what Iowans want.
Do you believe this law is an honest representation of Iowans and their morality? I don’t.

Where does it say that abortion is a right?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT