ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Teachers Union Stances on the ISSUES being debated in the State House

SIXERS24

HR Heisman
Dec 2, 2014
Dallas Texas
The seventh week of the 2022 legislative session marks the halfway point of the scheduled 100-day legislative session. More than 80 bills were debated, though only a handful relate to education policy, the lion share of which were solidly bipartisan.

Gov. Kim Reynolds will deliver the Republican response to President Joe Biden’s State of the Union address next week, scheduled for Tuesday, March 1, 2022. This is an incredible honor for the governor and, as such, she asked the Legislature to immediately consider one of her legislative priorities so that she could include its passage in her remarks next week.

To that end, HF 2317 (ISEA Against), the House tax plan was debated and amended in the Senate before returning to the House for final passage late last night on a vote of 61-34. While one can certainly appreciate efforts to allow Iowans to retain more of their earnings, ISEA has serious concerns that the permanent flat income tax of 3.9% will have long-term negative impacts on state revenues. Additionally, this bill further expands corporate tax cuts and will disproportionately benefit high-earners, not working- and middle-class Iowans. Our allies at Common Good Iowa further detail the implications of this bill’s passage here. Reynolds is expected to sign the bill in the next couple of days.

Bad Bills

HF 2416- (ISEA-Against)
This bill prohibits transgender girls from participating in athletics, including extracurricular sports, in public and nonpublic K-12 schools as well as community colleges and regents institutions. ISEA opposes this bill for several reasons, including that it requires state-sanctioned discrimination that is in direct conflict with federal law. Additionally, we fear this bill will lead to further discrimination, bullying and reduced inclusivity for our students. This bill now heads to the Senate where it is likely to pass.

Hell with this I don't want my daughter competing against boys and sometimes men!

SF 2349- (ISEA-Against)
This bill is the re-numbered version of the Governor’s Education Omnibus bill, Division II Vouchers. While this division continues to stall in the House, the Senate continues to move the legislation forward including referring the bill to the Appropriations Committee.

A subcommittee was held on Wednesday afternoon, where despite comments from ISEA and other education stakeholders’ groups about the incredible expense to the state, the bill was advanced. The bill now moves to the full committee and while we continue to hear that the governor is interested in exploring creative options to appeal to rural lawmakers who she believes are in opposition to the legislation, no additional details are available at this time. Please continue to reach out to your senator and encourage them to support public schools that provide quality education to nearly 500,000 students statewide, not the less-than 40,000 students who attend unaccountable private schools.

*Next week is likely to see much floor debate as bills passed out of committee are now eligible for consideration in the full chambers. Please follow ISEA social media to keep up with the latest news and opportunities for advocacy!

Last edited:
The seventh week of the 2022 legislative session marks the halfway point of the scheduled 100-day legislative session. More than 80 bills were debated, though only a handful relate to education policy, the lion share of which were solidly bipartisan.

Gov. Kim Reynolds will deliver the Republican response to President Joe Biden’s State of the Union address next week, scheduled for Tuesday, March 1, 2022. This is an incredible honor for the governor and, as such, she asked the Legislature to immediately consider one of her legislative priorities so that she could include its passage in her remarks next week.

To that end, HF 2317 (ISEA Against), the House tax plan was debated and amended in the Senate before returning to the House for final passage late last night on a vote of 61-34. While one can certainly appreciate efforts to allow Iowans to retain more of their earnings, ISEA has serious concerns that the permanent flat income tax of 3.9% will have long-term negative impacts on state revenues. Additionally, this bill further expands corporate tax cuts and will disproportionately benefit high-earners, not working- and middle-class Iowans. Our allies at Common Good Iowa further detail the implications of this bill’s passage here. Reynolds is expected to sign the bill in the next couple of days.

Bad Bills

HF 2416- (ISEA-Against)
This bill prohibits transgender girls from participating in athletics, including extracurricular sports, in public and nonpublic K-12 schools as well as community colleges and regents institutions. ISEA opposes this bill for several reasons, including that it requires state-sanctioned discrimination that is in direct conflict with federal law. Additionally, we fear this bill will lead to further discrimination, bullying and reduced inclusivity for our students. This bill now heads to the Senate where it is likely to pass.

Hell with this I don't want my daughter competing against boys and sometimes men!

SF 2349- (ISEA-Against)
This bill is the re-numbered version of the Governor’s Education Omnibus bill, Division II Vouchers. While this division continues to stall in the House, the Senate continues to move the legislation forward including referring the bill to the Appropriations Committee.

A subcommittee was held on Wednesday afternoon, where despite comments from ISEA and other education stakeholders’ groups about the incredible expense to the state, the bill was advanced. The bill now moves to the full committee and while we continue to hear that the governor is interested in exploring creative options to appeal to rural lawmakers who she believes are in opposition to the legislation, no additional details are available at this time. Please continue to reach out to your senator and encourage them to support public schools that provide quality education to nearly 500,000 students statewide, not the less-than 40,000 students who attend unaccountable private schools.

*Next week is likely to see much floor debate as bills passed out of committee are now eligible for consideration in the full chambers. Please follow ISEA social media to keep up with the latest news and opportunities for advocacy!
They wouldn't be competing against boys or men, and the public shouldn't be paying for private schools. The public schools are there for everyone. If people don't want to send their kids to them, that's their right, but why should the public pay for it?.

The voucher program is starting to stall as some rural legislators real that their constituents are going to get hosed as dollars are peeled away from small districts.
This voucher thing is a massive scam. It will do next to nothing for kids in failing schools. It is another way to steal tax payer dollars and hand them over to people who don't need it. The way Reynolds explains it sounds wonderful, but for those in education, we know it's a whole lot of BS.

This voucher thing is a massive scam. It will do next to nothing for kids in failing schools. It is another way to steal tax payer dollars and hand them over to people who don't need it. The way Reynolds explains it sounds wonderful, but for those in education, we know it's a whole lot of BS.
I posted a stat on here that in ohio, when they went to a voucher program, 95% of the vouchers being used were by people already in private school. It was a gift to the wealthy and religion

I posted a stat on here that in ohio, when they went to a voucher program, 95% of the vouchers being used were by people already in private school. It was a gift to the wealthy and religion
Total scam. Private schools will raise their tuition just enough to help keep out the undesirables who want to use voucher money to attend.

The Voucher program - Let me understand this.

It is: (A) I choose to send my child to a Private Grade School. The Voucher program allows me to take MY tax dollars that would normally go to Public Schooling and have it go towards the Private School? Or, is it saying (B) Folks that have NOTHING to do...nor want anything to do with supporting private schools will have THEIR tax dollars diverted to private schools? If it is A, no problem...if it is B...that is utterly wrong.

It is: (A) I choose to send my child to a Private Grade School. The Voucher program allows me to take MY tax dollars that would normally go to Public Schooling and have it go towards the Private School? Or, is it saying (B) Folks that have NOTHING to do...nor want anything to do with supporting private schools will have THEIR tax dollars diverted to private schools? If it is A, no problem...if it is B...that is utterly wrong.
There aren't YOUR tax dollars. There are tax dollars that each individual is expected to pay for the opportunity to use public resources. Both are utterly wrong.

You are paying taxes for public schooling. You are not paying taxes solely for your kids' education. Want your kids to attend private school then you pay for it.

There aren't YOUR tax dollars. There are tax dollars that each individual is expected to pay for the opportunity to use public resources. Both are utterly wrong.
Excuse me? They certainly are MY tax dollars. I see them come out of MY paycheck every pay period. If there is a mechanism to allow me to take my portion of what would normally go to public school.....go to the school of MY choosing...who are you to say otherwise? Now, between A and B...which is this bill going to look like? Do you know?

You are paying taxes for public schooling. You are not paying taxes solely for your kids' education. Want your kids to attend private school then you pay for it.
I am paying taxes for a WHOLE HOST of things for the betterment of the public....and glad to do so. We all share in the cost of Policing, Fire, ect. I am never going to set up my own fire dept. But, IF the amount of taxes I pay towards public schooling can be identified and separated out, then I should be afforded the right to have that go support where I want MY child to go to school. I am not asking YOU to pay for my child...am I?

Reactions: Pinehawk
Excuse me? They certainly are MY tax dollars. I see them come out of MY paycheck every pay period. If there is a mechanism to allow me to take my portion of what would normally go to public school.....go to the school of MY choosing...who are you to say otherwise? Now, between A and B...which is this bill going to look like? Do you know?
They also come out of the paychecks of people who have no children or whose children are grown up. Do they get to decide how to spend their tax dollars too? I want my vouchers so I can give them to the local public school.

They also come out of the paychecks of people who have no children or whose children are grown up. Do they get to decide how to spend their tax dollars too? I want my vouchers so I can give it to the local public school.
Yeah, this guy doesn't understand the function of taxes and living in a society. It doesn't work if you get to itemize your taxes and dictate where money goes. It's money everyone pays for the betterment of everyone. Ol' boy over here thinks he's giving to charity.

They also come out of the paychecks of people who have no children or whose children are grown up. Do they get to decide how to spend their tax dollars too? On this front.....I say yes. If someone choose NOT to have kids...I would support this. Maybe they would want that extra tax go towards better Fire or Police. Please understand, they (like me) would NOT be paying less in taxes. Just having that tax go to a service that they feel is a better fit. I want my vouchers so I can give it to the local public school. And, I FULLY support your ability to do so.

Yeah, this guy doesn't understand the function of taxes and living in a society. It doesn't work if you get to itemize your taxes and dictate where money goes. It's money everyone pays for the betterment of everyone. Ol' boy over here thinks he's giving to charity.
Sure I do. I pay taxes every day for society. Part of that tax is for schooling. It is you who is saying: "It doesn't work if you get to itemize your taxes and dictate where money goes." We are talking about one tax item here. Not anything else that I could see would apply. Why not open your mind and see there might be a way to make this work? Again...is it A or B that this bill is even trying to address?

I am paying taxes for a WHOLE HOST of things for the betterment of the public....and glad to do so. We all share in the cost of Policing, Fire, ect. I am never going to set up my own fire dept. But, IF the amount of taxes I pay towards public schooling can be identified and separated out, then I should be afforded the right to have that go support where I want MY child to go to school. I am not asking YOU to pay for my child...am I?
We are going to disagree. I don't have kids so I shouldn't pay taxes for education?

We are going to disagree. I don't have kids so I shouldn't pay taxes for education?
Honestly Global. I don't think you should have to. That is just my opinion. I have not read this bill....but I can't EVER see it passing. And, I am fine with how it is right now. Again, I do NOT have a problem paying my taxes for public school. I simply think this is an interesting idea. Nothing more...nothing less.

Sure I do. I pay taxes every day for society. Part of that tax is for schooling. It is you who is saying: "It doesn't work if you get to itemize your taxes and dictate where money goes." We are talking about one tax item here. Not anything else that I could see would apply. Why not open your mind and see there might be a way to make this work? Again...is it A or B that this bill is even trying to address?

In this case I don't think sending your kids to private school is going to over come heredity. Save your dough

Honestly Global. I don't think you should have to. That is just my opinion. I have not read this bill....but I can't EVER see it passing. And, I am fine with how it is right now. Again, I do NOT have a problem paying my taxes for public school. I simply think this is an interesting idea. Nothing more...nothing less.
Okay. Fair. I proudly pay taxes that contribute to public education in my community. I think the idea of vouchers is awful.

Reactions: Tom Paris
Does the tranny bill ban boys pretending to be girls from participating in all sports or just the real girl sports? Could the boys pretending to be girls still participate in sports with the real boys? I think the boys pretending to be girls should still be able to play sports with the real boys, not the real girls though.

We have two kids.........we are a middle income family. So, in Iowa (state tax) we pay around 7.5% towards taxes.
Iowa provides $7,048 per pupil. Do you pay more than $14,196 in a combination of state and property taxes?

There is some small minded, myopic thinking going on in this thread.

Look, I get how wasteful spending of your hard earned tax dollars is infuriating. @jamesvanderwulf posted the wonderful “No Nuke Zone” signs we paid for as you come into Iowa City. What a phucking joke. Whomever thought that was a good use of public dollars needs a thorough ass kicking.

Education is simple though. We all need to pay in and it stays in the public system only. No matter how you think it’s wasted, get over it. Or better yet, volunteer your time to change and improve how it’s allocated since you’re so phucking smart. Get on the school board. Attend the meetings. Rabble, rabble. But don’t take it away from public schools and the kids that go there. And if you’re rich enough to send your kid to a private school..good for you. But that’s a choice, not a requirement. You had a “free” option in the public school that “your hard earned tax dollars” (god, quit whining) made for your child. You chose not to so the money shouldn’t follow your choice. And since the world and use of “your hard earned tax dollars” (for the love of…) have to always revolve around your selfish ass - think of it this way. By giving more towards education, the chances are those dirty public school kids will have more opportunity and may be too busy to vandalize your house or car or whatever it is teenagers do that old farts like you drone on about. There’s your win.

Last edited:

If a student chooses to leave a school district for a private school 70% of state ppf is given the the students parent/guardian. It's like $5300.

A private school is only going to raise the price of their tuition by an amount equivalent to the state aid. This simply will line the pockets of churches and religious homeschool nuts.

A private school is only going to raise the price of their tuition by an amount equivalent to the state aid. This simply will line the pockets of churches and religious homeschool nuts.
This is a blanket statement that is not true. My boys both have attended a Catholic grade school and after that public school. The grade school is primarily paid for by the fundraising that is done. The tuition has remained steady for the last 10 years and is less then what the state pays for a student to attend public school. Not an easy thing to do. Also, as long as there is room, no child is turned away because of family income.

Reactions: DogBoyRy
Excuse me? They certainly are MY tax dollars. I see them come out of MY paycheck every pay period.
if we are going to play this game i don’t want MY tax dollars going to subsidize israel’s defense while they give their citizens universal healthcare

Not the same....but ok.
Nah, if you want to pick and choose how your tax dollars get spent…..you dont want your tax dollars going to a school your kids dont go to and i dont want my tax dollars going towards the defense of a country i dont go to., especially if they can afford to give their citizens universal healthcare

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT