ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Teachers Union Stances on the ISSUES being debated in the State House

The other part I was going to add was this only applies to the state portion, correct? I know Cedar Rapids is about $12k per pupil, so $5k more. As far as I know the people sending their kids to private school are still forking over those taxes for the public whether they use is it or not. Lets assume the leftover $2K stays with the school district (I don’t know, but I think it should) the district also gets $5K from other sources for each student that goes private. Likely fit into that $12K and not above and beyond. So the school district gets $12k, pays $5k to private school and reinvests the remaining $7k.

Yes the state portion, but in Indiana, the state portion is 99.5% of the education fund. No property taxes go to the education fund which pays for teachers, IAs, student support services (nurse, counselor, SLPs, OT/PT etc).

Property taxes in Indiana pay for operational costs (custodians, bus drivers, central office employees, equipment, technology, maintenance etc) and debt for capital expenses.

There is essentially no “leftover portion”
in my situation.

Reactions: Bulldogs1974
lol at the idea a private school would "give money back".
Money should not go to support religion.
If you get taxpayer money, you aren't promoting religion, and you are educating children, you should be held to the same standard as public schools. You should be required to provide the same services and have the proper oversight.

Reactions: joelbc1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT