ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa tied for the most returning starters in the country in 2022

Digger1

HR Heisman
Sep 30, 2001
Athlon's podcast went over the returning starters team by team for the vast majority of the P5 today. I actually think they are giving Iowa too many returning starters as they say Iowa has 9 back on O and 8 on D. Early on in the podcast they give their criteria for a returning starter. According to Athlon Iowa,NC State,Miss State, and Kansas have the most returning starters in the P5 with 17 each. The whole podcast is very good but if you want to only listen to a little start out at the 53:50 mark or the 43:50 mark.

Here are the teams they went over on the podcast and the number of returning starters as of today according to Athlon's numbers.

Kansas 17
Baylor 14
TCU 13
OSU 12
Texas 12
KSU 12
Tech 11
West Virginia 11
Oklahoma 9
ISU 8

Iowa 17
Purdue 15
Minnesota 13
Nebraska 9
Wisconsin 8

Maryland 15
MSU 14
OSU 13
Michigan 10

NC State 17
Clemson 16
FSU 16
Syracuse 16
Wake Forest 15
Louisville 14

Pitt 15
Miami 12
Virginia Tech 12
North Carolina 11
Virginia 9
Duke 9
Georgia Tech 6

MSU 17
Alabama 13
Ole Miss 11
Auburn 11
A&M 9
Arkansas 9
LSU 6

Florida 15
South Carolina 15
Tennessee 14
Georgia 10
Kentucky 10

Utah 13
Colorado 10
USC 9
ASU 8
UCLA 8

Oregon 14
WSU 11
Washington 9
Cal 8

Last edited:
And we may very well have a worse record despite that (for various reasons which we should be familiar with by now)...........

(also, that's not necessarily being pessimistic, either......)

And, woof at Iowa State. They should be happy just to make a bowl game next year, not that they can't considering all the average teams in the Big 12.

Athlon's podcast went over the returning starters team by team for the vast majority of the P5 today. I actually think they are giving Iowa too many returning starters as they say Iowa has 9 back on O and 8 on D. Early on in the podcast they give their criteria for a returning starter. According to Athlon Iowa,NC State,Miss State, and Kansas have the most returning starters in the P5 with 17 each. The whole podcast is very good but if you want to only listen to a little start out at the 53:50 mark or the 43:50 mark.

Here are the teams they went over on the podcast and the number of returning starters as of today according to Athlon's numbers.

Kansas 17
Baylor 14
TCU 13
OSU 12
Texas 12
KSU 12
Tech 11
West Virginia 11
Oklahoma 9
ISU 8

Iowa 17
Purdue 15
Minnesota 13
Nebraska 9
Wisconsin 8

Maryland 15
MSU 14
OSU 13
Michigan 10

NC State 17
Clemson 16
FSU 16
Syracuse 16
Wake Forest 15
Louisville 14

Pitt 15
Miami 12
Virginia Tech 12
North Carolina 11
Virginia 9
Duke 9
Georgia Tech 6

MSU 17
Alabama 13
Ole Miss 11
Auburn 11
A&M 9
Arkansas 9
LSU 6

Florida 15
South Carolina 15
Tennessee 14
Georgia 10
Kentucky 10

Utah 13
Colorado 10
USC 9
ASU 8
UCLA 8

Oregon 14
WSU 11
Washington 9
Cal 8
Always a good sign, except for the returning QB. Also returning players in the two deep is really high.

I would say ISU and Nebraska. But Wisconsin and Michigan do a pretty good job plugging in new guys, especially on defense.
Wisconsin be interesting to see how they replace skill position players. Believe lost 2 best wr and TE Ferguson to graduation. Obviously Rb and OL will be great. But if mertz struggled with guys last year be interesting to see what he does with a new cast.

Wisconsin be interesting to see how they replace skill position players. Believe lost 2 best wr and TE Ferguson to graduation. Obviously Rb and OL will be great. But if mertz struggled with guys last year be interesting to see what he does with a new cast.
Didn't that freshman RB that looked like he was 30 transfer to Michigan St.?

ISU, Wis Mich and Nebraska all look to be worse next year...thats nice.
By these numbers anyway.
ISU will be worse.
The others, not sure. Based on Jimmy's past I assume mi regresses. Hard to imagine neb doing any worse.
Doubt wiscy will.

doesn't nebraska have a hot new quarterback via transfer portal & a few other good transfers? (of course, this is not the first time they appear to have cleaned up via the portal and/or recruiting, but it looks like it may be legit this time)

• Haha
Reactions: PIEPI
doesn't nebraska have a hot new quarterback via transfer portal & a few other good transfers? (of course, this is not the first time they appear to have cleaned up via the portal and/or recruiting, but it looks like it may be legit this time)
They have QB Thompson from Texas who split time with a true frosh and brought in purdys brother after 1 yr at fsu. I think Thompson who had ok numbers will realize things may be a little tougher with out the skill talent he had at Texas (one of the top rb in the nation Bijan Robinson) and facing competent defenses unlike most of them he went against in the big 12. As for rest they brought in who knows. one thing is they lost a lot of talent on defensive side of the ball which was their strength last year.

Matrix Analytical

@AthDeptEdge

@BryanApplewhite is part of the trio of new coaches at #Nebraska that has the #Huskers a place to consider if you like the ball in your hands. QB/WR/RB/TE coach combo in Lincoln is in the Top 7 of all FBS Power 5 programs using our metrics. Things are happening in Lincoln. 🔥

If Iowa can find a consistent five on the OL...and protect the QB...they have a legitimate shot to return to Indy. I think they are going to be ok there to be honest. Colby and Richman should anchor a solid group. I'd be willing to bet DeJung and Colby switch spots...and Colby is at tackle. We just need to find three guys on the interior, and there a lot of guys in the mix starting their second and third year in the program...which is where guys get productive usually.

QB play will also be important...but for some reason...I think one of the three will get it done. Just make the plays that are in front of you. Talent at receiver, young talent at RB...the QB's need to step up.

I can't help but think our defense is going to be scary for opposing teams. There is one piece that needs to show up...pressure from the edge, and there a several guys who should be able to step up based on what they have shown...Craig and Hurkett for example. You could also put Van Ness out there. We are going to be really strong up the middle...I can't wait to see our rotation at DT. Those guys are going to be bigger, stronger, and flat out nasty. They showed up last year in a big way....just think about their development for a second. We will push the pocket from the inside too.

You always have the Ferentz haters who lament the offense...but Iowa consistently fields a team that's prepared, physical, and will battle you for 60 minutes. I like that.

If Iowa can find a consistent five on the OL...and protect the QB...they have a legitimate shot to return to Indy. I think they are going to be ok there to be honest. Colby and Richman should anchor a solid group. I'd be willing to bet DeJung and Colby switch spots...and Colby is at tackle. We just need to find three guys on the interior, and there a lot of guys in the mix starting their second and third year in the program...which is where guys get productive usually.

QB play will also be important...but for some reason...I think one of the three will get it done. Just make the plays that are in front of you. Talent at receiver, young talent at RB...the QB's need to step up.

I can't help but think our defense is going to be scary for opposing teams. There is one piece that needs to show up...pressure from the edge, and there a several guys who should be able to step up based on what they have shown...Craig and Hurkett for example. You could also put Van Ness out there. We are going to be really strong up the middle...I can't wait to see our rotation at DT. Those guys are going to be bigger, stronger, and flat out nasty. They showed up last year in a big way....just think about their development for a second. We will push the pocket from the inside too.

You always have the Ferentz haters who lament the offense...but Iowa consistently fields a team that's prepared, physical, and will battle you for 60 minutes. I like that.
That sounds all well and fine but have you seen the coaching changes and transfers that Nebraska got? Go back a year and insert the new names from this year and you will see.
A tradition that keeps on giving

The offense does return 9 starters, although I think we will have a new QB that significantly improves the position.

The line problems will probably be improved. Richman and Colby are the two linemen who showed significant improvement last season. I think Colby's moving to tackle. Myslinski, Stephens, and Davidkov were all major recruits for the interior line. The odds favor all three developing into good players. My peeps down in IC say Stephens will start and is good. Britt and Ince might stay healthy and both might improve, which also gives good options at guard. DeJong might translate into a good guard but he is really terrible at tackle, I mean Jack Plumb beat him out. Second year with the OL coach. I am very optimistic about the line.

Good running backs, receivers and tight ends. I am very optimistic about the offense, notwithstanding all the outlandish attacks on the coaches you read around here.

And we may very well have a worse record despite that (for various reasons which we should be familiar with by now)...........

(also, that's not necessarily being pessimistic, either......)

And, woof at Iowa State. They should be happy just to make a bowl game next year, not that they can't considering all the average teams in the Big 12.
Is a bowl game on Campbell’s list of goals for the 2022 season?

The offense does return 9 starters, although I think we will have a new QB that significantly improves the position.

The line problems will probably be improved. Richman and Colby are the two linemen who showed significant improvement last season. I think Colby's moving to tackle. Myslinski, Stephens, and Davidkov were all major recruits for the interior line. The odds favor all three developing into good players. My peeps down in IC say Stephens will start and is good. Britt and Ince might stay healthy and both might improve, which also gives good options at guard. DeJong might translate into a good guard but he is really terrible at tackle, I mean Jack Plumb beat him out. Second year with the OL coach. I am very optimistic about the line.

Good running backs, receivers and tight ends. I am very optimistic about the offense, notwithstanding all the outlandish attacks on the coaches you read around here.
There's every reason to believe that the D should/could be excellent.

If the offense can score and, at least, help flip field position can keep the D off the field some ... the '22 installment of the Hawks should win more than they lose. Furthermore, I feel like they're good for at least one upset too!

Reactions: perryhawk

I feel like, if the OL is better (should be, as long as we find a competent center), the QB play will also be better - the only question is *how much* better. It should also help that the WRs and TEs that got the most run last year are all back. We might miss Goodson's explosiveness, but I like Gavin Williams' consistency in getting positive yards.

I expect the offense to be better. Again, the question is *how much* better.

ISU will be worse.
The others, not sure. Based on Jimmy's past I assume mi regresses. Hard to imagine neb doing any worse.
Doubt wiscy will.
I'd be shocked if Michigan finishes top 2 in the east division next season. They lost a TON of super seniors especially on defense. If Harbough gives OSU a run for their money, then he should be coach of the year....

The defense didn't lose anyone on defense that cannot be replaced from the existing team and the 2022 recruits.

We are reaching the next level status on defense. KF and Phil are bringing in a lot of D backs.
True about the DB's. Moss returning is HUGE, because even with all the studs joining the DB room, its hard to measure how much that game experience means. If Moss is healthy, that will be a huge lift on one side of the field.

ADVERTISEMENT