ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Underdogs To ISU And Nebby

What's Vegas? And who cares what the professionals think? (They are usually pretty dang close)

Of course they're close when the betting lines close. If you don't think spreads change routinely before the season even starts then you're a fool. Let's see the spread come September.

I've seen this before when it looks like Iowa has a solid team but the "pros" bet (correctly) against the Hawks in the preseason. Hopefully this time they are just questioning iowa's ability to reload after losing multiple first-round draft picks as opposed a more fundamental indicator. Still a bit worrisome.

Last year Iowa was only a 3.5 favorite the week of and won by 10.

ISU was -2.5 in basketball this year. We all saw how that went.

I'm not worried. Betting lines will change after the first week when everyone gets a handle on how the new players fill in. Right now nobody knows how much impact Nixon, Vanvalkenburg, our tight ends and Ragaini/Tracy will have.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hawksoxfan
We are unproven in the middle of the offensive and defensive lines. We are replacing 2 first round receivers. Our place kicker and punter are question marks.

I get why some people have significant doubts about how this team will perform. There are a number of unknowns. Wearing gold and black glasses it’s easy to project that the replacements will be successful, but we generally don’t have the recruiting stars stepping into positions of need that outsiders use to project little decline from the replacements.

There’s plenty to get excited about for the up coming season, and most Hawk fans believe.
I’m one of them, but it’s easy to see why outsiders are questioning us. It’s pretty normal for the experts to under value the Hawks. So what.

Of course they're close when the betting lines close. If you don't think spreads change routinely before the season even starts then you're a fool. Let's see the spread come September.
Opening lines are more accurate then when the general public (me, you and your idiot neighbor) start betting and move the lines.

So what? Sounds about right, and the team can change that outcome on the field.

Opening lines are more accurate then when the general public (me, you and your idiot neighbor) start betting and move the lines.

Yeah that -6.5 Mississippi State opening line really worked out well too.

Yup Vegas is wrong every game all season long...:rolleyes:

Nothing like a good strawman argument.

Preseason Vegas odds are about the equivalent of a Phil Steele magazine. They look at prior year results and returning production. They have no clue how new contributors will fair. Iowa and ISU had the same regular season record and ISU returns more starters and is playing at home which is typically around a 2.5 point advantage. That's how they get to a 4.5 spread.

The year Iowa went 12-0, Vegas had Iowa's wins over/under at 7.5. Josey Jewell broke out that year recording 126 tackles, 4 INTs and 3 sacks. Nate Meier went from 2 sacks in the prior two seasons to 7 in 2015. Cole Fisher went from a nobody as a junior to 116 tackles and 2.5 sacks in 2015.

I like what Iowa has coming in a lot. I believe guys like Chauncey Golston and Julius Brents will stars. Daviyon Nixon has a very high ceiling, possibly giving Iowa their best DT disrupter since Jaleel Johnson. Add in returning proven stars in Epenesa, Stone and Hankins and Iowa should be around a top 10 defense again.

The experts look at the offense and wonder how we'll replace two 1st round tight ends. First of all we have no clue how the guys behind them will fair. Brandon Myers and George Kittle didn't do a thing until their junior years. I expect Beyers and Wieting to be productive.

Receivers at Iowa frequently took off during their junior years and I expect much more production from Smith and Smith-Marsette this season.

Ed Hinkel:
sophomore - 108 yards
junior - 744

Mo Brown:
soph - 42 yards
junior - 966 yards

Tevaun Smith:
soph - 310 yards
junior - 596 yards

Matt Vandeberg:
soph - 256 yards
junior - 703 yards