ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa up to #3 in Net Rankings

There always seems to be a heavy bias in NCAA seating for east coast teams. Villanova has great success, so they do deserve respect. Great coach.

0hzpDwe.gif

I said yesterday in the game thread that the Iowa team had the look on their faces that they were on a business trip. And boy, did they ever take care of business.

If Iowa keeps taking care of business I am not sure who in the B1G can beat them & we therefore looking at a #1 seed in the NCAA Tournament
Who else would be #1 seeds besides Gonzaga and Baylor (assuming they continue to win). If ‘Nova doesn’t get at least 2/3 of their season in, then they don’t deserve a bid.

I said yesterday in the game thread that the Iowa team had the look on their faces that they were on a business trip. And boy, did they ever take care of business.

If Iowa keeps taking care of business I am not sure who in the B1G can beat them & we therefore looking at a #1 seed in the NCAA Tournament
Fran do you have a replay of jNW?
if so can u send it to me ?
thx

Not that it matters at this point other than for the fact that it’s fun as hell and good for the program but it’s a joke to still see Iowa on the 2 line. Most quad 1 wins, NET of 3, SOS improving quickly, every metric is better than Villanova who I keep seeing on the 1 line..

Well you're right if you're talking about ESPN's bracketology. It doesn't matter now because it hasn't been updated this week and it won't matter in the future because ESPN and Joe Lunardi have no actual say in the seeding process.

This team is not the same team that lost to Minnesota and Gonzaga and the difference is in defensive intensity and JBO being JBO again. The second unit takes defense seriously. Fran looks like he has more confidence in them and isn't afraid anymore to call out players when defensive intensity is lacking and insert players that bring it. Iowa gave up 100 points to a team averaging 70 points in conference play. Keegan, Nunge, and PMAC played 9, 8 and 13 minutes respectively. On top of that Bohannon was 1-7 from 3 point land. Fran will always be an offensive minded coach but I don't think any of that happens today if the starters aren't performing at the defensive end and they weren't at Minnesota. Against Gonzaga (and NC for that matter) Iowa got killed in transition. The last 5 games that's been pretty much shut down. If they can keep this intensity up at the defensive end and JBO keeps hitting shots they're a real threat to win it all.

Last edited:
Be careful about projecting our success out too far. The toughest part of our schedule is about to start. Thankfully, we should endure the grind better than most with such a deep bench.

Hopefully, we have a few games like Sunday’s blowout vs jNW, where the starters get to watch the final 8 minutes from the sidelines.

Especially as the missed games need to get squeezed in ... we have a very good situation.

Be careful about projecting our success out too far. The toughest part of our schedule is about to start. Thankfully, we should endure the grind better than most with such a deep bench.

Hopefully, we have a few games like Sunday’s blowout vs jNW, where the starters get to watch the final 8 minutes from the sidelines.

Especially as the missed games need to get squeezed in ... we have a very good situation.

Why do I need to be careful again? Is there some projection police force out there that I need to be concerned about?

I think I fear
Who else would be #1 seeds besides Gonzaga and Baylor (assuming they continue to win). If ‘Nova doesn’t get at least 2/3 of their season in, then they don’t deserve a bid.
I think I fear Baylor more than Gonzaga, and for multiple reasons...

Why do I need to be careful again? Is there some projection police force out there that I need to be concerned about?

Yes we fans can predict all we want. We don't play the games. All the other poster was saying was Iowa has the tougher part of the schedule coming up. At Illinois, at Wisconsin, at Michigan, at Ohio State, at Indiana, at Michigan State. Not an easy game in the bunch. Likely Iowa loses at least a few of those.

Agreed that fans don't have any impact on the games. With that said, fans that have unrealistic expectations make this board unenjoyable when players/teams don't reach those expectations. I think the "caution" being pointed to is not about potential impact on the games, but about fans not freaking out if this team loses a few games.

Iowa has played great thus far and is in position for a #1 seed. But it's worth taking note that at similar parts in the season, Iowa was also in line for a #1-2 seed under Fran ('13-'14 and '15-'16) before things went downhill. I don't think that means we should expect the same from this year's team, but it's good to keep in mind that no matter how well a team is playing, the margin for error is still slim at this level and nothing is guaranteed.

Agreed that fans don't have any impact on the games. With that said, fans that have unrealistic expectations make this board unenjoyable when players/teams don't reach those expectations. I think the "caution" being pointed to is not about potential impact on the games, but about fans not freaking out if this team loses a few games.

Iowa has played great thus far and is in position for a #1 seed. But it's worth taking note that at similar parts in the season, Iowa was also in line for a #1-2 seed under Fran ('13-'14 and '15-'16) before things went downhill. I don't think that means we should expect the same from this year's team, but it's good to keep in mind that no matter how well a team is playing, the margin for error is still slim at this level and nothing is guaranteed.

People on this board kill me. These are opinions. It's ok to be an optimist AND a realist. I'm enjoying the season and nothing I've said is unrealistic for this team. Did I suggest that they won't lose any games? Did I say they are going to win a national championship? Do you think I don't know that the toughest part of the schedule is in front of them? All I've said is what I (and a lot of other people around the country) believe this team is capable of and how they've improved over the course of the year. It's still just entertainment. I can handle it if they don't reach those expectations because I'm an adult. The ones that can't need a hobby or something and nothing I say or don't say is going to impact how some tool is going to overreact to everything.

Last edited:

Much of that is true, and I do think and have thought all along that Iowa will lose a few here and there because the Big Ten is good.

With that said, this is the best and deepest Team we've had in quite some time. On their best day they can beat anybody, on an Average day they'll beat most. I don't think they'll win a National Title because you have to be good AND lucky to win it all, but they are certainly in the conversation. They've earned that to this point.

People on this board kill me. These are opinions. It's ok to be an optimist AND a realist. I'm enjoying the season and nothing I've said is unrealistic for this team. Did I suggest that they won't lose any games? Did I say they are going to win a national championship? Do you think I don't know that the toughest part of the schedule is in front of them? All I've said is what I (and a lot of other people around the country) believe this team is capable of and how they've improved over the course of the year. It's still just entertainment. I can handle it if they don't reach those expectations because I'm an adult. The ones that can't need a hobby or something and nothing I say or don't say is going impact how some tool is going to overreact to everything.

You have not said anything to suggest you have unrealistic expectations. I agree that this team is a legitimate national title contender, and we should enjoy the ride.

All I meant is that I interpreted the post you had quoted as trying to provide perspective with high expectations, and since you asked what was the point of that post, I was simply trying to state why someone might want to provide such perspective. You certainly have a reasonable point that attempting to provide such perspective may be futile because it's unlikely to change the behavior of those fans that cannot handle disappointment like adults.

Much of that is true, and I do think and have thought all along that Iowa will lose a few here and there because the Big Ten is good.

With that said, this is the best and deepest Team we've had in quite some time. On their best day they can beat anybody, on an Average day they'll beat most. I don't think they'll win a National Title because you have to be good AND lucky to win it all, but they are certainly in the conversation. They've earned that to this point.
I’ll make a prediction that the next time an Iowa conference opponent makes 17 3’s in a game, they will get beat, again.

Reactions: 24 so far
I’ll make a prediction that the next time an Iowa conference opponent makes 17 3’s in a game, they will get beat, again.

Probably a safe prediction. Other than the 17 3's, Iowa themselves had a horrible shooting performance. I'll make another prediction. The next time 20 times that Iowa outrebounds an opponent by 17 or more they come away with a win.

Reactions: KcTo
OK. I'm usually the last to find out.... Who is WOB and what does it mean...?

I'll let someone else perhaps clarify it better, but it's an unintentional (usually) grammatical/spelling goof that brings a different meaning--sometimes a pun--to the post. It stands for "want of be", if I remember correctly, when someone typed that instead of 'wanna be'.
The WOB posted above would be where "NCAA seating" was posted instead of "NCAA seeding".

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT