ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa v PSU comment thread

Rewatch the Lee match, completely stuck first turn, pd was a complete joke. Someone please educate me on why Joseph got the first td. He never took him to the mat , is this some kind of new rule I don't know about?
Obviously we didn't lose because of the ref but he was a bad psu homer.

Once the hand touches the mat, it's two. Not like Free where you have to get one knee down.

Reactions: Sett1997
Cenzo was well scouted...notice Marinelli goes into a bear hug and kicks his right leg leaving Cenzo with no momentum. I didn't give Bull much of a chance but guys are going to have to be able to hang for 7 mins. His worst matchup is IMar for the first two periods. Going to have to be very physical. Has to get by Cenzo in the semis though.

Rewatch the Lee match, completely stuck first turn, pd was a complete joke.

Obviously we didn't lose because of the ref but he was a bad psu homer.

Agree with you about the calls in the 125 match - Didn't understand the PD call, and Kuhn was pinned the first turn. However, did it really matter?

He hasn’t lit a fire in a long time.
It's hard to light a fire under a moist log. Penn St. has better wrestlers just like if we played Alabama in football or Ohio St. in basketball. We are undermanned no matter how you want to look at it. We had a great ride with Gable but he's not coming back. Get over it and live with it for now.

high-caution-beware-of-the-bull-sign-1181.png
The bull

Cenzo was well scouted...notice Marinelli goes into a bear hug and kicks his right leg leaving Cenzo with no momentum. I didn't give Bull much of a chance but guys are going to have to be able to hang for 7 mins. His worst matchup is IMar for the first two periods. Going to have to be very physical. Has to get by Cenzo in the semis though.

Great win for Bull, but in all honesty Joseph stupidly tried to throw him while holding a comfortable lead. Joseph was clearly the better wrestler and I doubt he'll make that mistake again. Bull got to his legs, sometimes even with a good angle, but couldn't even come close to finishing. I don't like his chances next time.

Then again, #2 wouldn't be bad for a Frosh. And it was nice to have someone not from PA win a match...

Agree with you about the calls in the 125 match - Didn't understand the PD call, and Kuhn was pinned the first turn. However, did it really matter?
No, not in the dual final score as I stated or even in the match. Just bs calls.

I don't follow wrestling as close as others. Anyone know why Mark Hall was #2 and they showed that he had record of 0-0

He was actually 22-0 and defending NC

Is it my imagination or does it seems like our upper weights have lacked any offense and athleticism for years? Like watching 4 nathan buraks out there

I'd take Burak in a heartbeat

Umm. You are aware that they're mocking Iowa fans with those stall calls, right?

Yeah, right!

He was actually 22-0 and defending NC

I'd take Burak in a heartbeat

Yeah, right!
Had the same thought. Nathan is not only an outstanding young man, but he was pretty active offensively for a 197 guy. Plus, he’s one of like 3 guys with a win over Kyle Snyder for crying out loud — on the road, no less.

Reactions: Gobblin
Weighing less won't make him actually wrestle with urgency or speed.

Not every wrestler needs speed/quickness. It's not 125. He will be more effective at 184 than 197. He will at least be able to hold his own and won't get overpowered. He's not going to be quicker than his opponents at either 184 or 197 so might as well have be stronger than them. And if he wants to go 197 next year he'll be riding the bench anyway. He's a 184.

Great win for Bull, but in all honesty Joseph stupidly tried to throw him while holding a comfortable lead. Joseph was clearly the better wrestler and I doubt he'll make that mistake again. Bull got to his legs, sometimes even with a good angle, but couldn't even come close to finishing. I don't like his chances next time.

Then again, #2 wouldn't be bad for a Frosh. And it was nice to have someone not from PA win a match...
If you want to give those 2 PA kids back, Cael can find a spot for them.

The ref also called a top stalling on Turk and he was not parallel then he called stalling on Sorensen on bottom and Zain was riding a figure four on the leg. So yeah it does matter maybe not in the result of the meet but when this crap happens in the Bigs or Natty’s it’s means a lot every time....

I disagree the Bull is progressing each week he will learn from this match and has now seen what he has , the Bull will widen the margin he is a better wrestler. I did not think he could beat him yet I knew it would be close but after this match I realized the Bull is more of a Beast then I even thought...

Last edited:
The ref also called a top stalling on Turk and he was not parallel then he called stalling on Sorensen on bottom and Zain was riding a figure four on the leg. So yeah it does matter maybe not in the result of the meet but when this crap happens in the Bigs or Natty’s it’s means a lot every time....

The PD on Spencer was totally off the wall. Spencer was baffled and looked at the corner like, “What the heck?”

Good ol’ home cookin’. We’ll get some next year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dagboi and gprsox
Not every wrestler needs speed/quickness. It's not 125. He will be more effective at 184 than 197. He will at least be able to hold his own and won't get overpowered. He's not going to be quicker than his opponents at either 184 or 197 so might as well have be stronger than them. And if he wants to go 197 next year he'll be riding the bench anyway. He's a 184.
Not for a national champion team he isn't

The PD on Spencer was totally off the wall. Spencer was baffled and looked at the corner like, “What the heck?”

Good ol’ home cookin’. We’ll get some next year.

WWDM, Iowa fans are going to need to get used to the PD calls against Spencer. I've watched nearly all of his matches since he was in eighth grade and I would bet there has been a PD called against him in 40% of his matches. It's not a homer issue....it's a referee issue. There is a great deal of inconsistency between refs on how PD is called.

Where Spencer is different is that in most cases he just "rinses and repeats" and sticks the kid again. Enjoy the ride!

WWDM, Iowa fans are going to need to get used to the PD calls against Spencer. I've watched nearly all of his matches since he was in eighth grade and I would bet there has been a PD called against him in 40% of his matches. It's not a homer issue....it's a referee issue. There is a great deal of inconsistency between refs on how PD is called.

Where Spencer is different is that in most cases he just "rinses and repeats" and sticks the kid again. Enjoy the ride!
Thanks for the background, need. Still, that was as standard an arm bar as you'll ever see. That call was nuts.

This back and fourth between the Iowa and Penn State fans is extremely stupid.

I've been a Penn State since I was five, and I'm 43 now. Like every fanbase, there are phenomenal PSU wrestling fans, and there are annoying fans. I have been annoyed by other PSU fans more times than I can count at Rec Hall, BJC and Nationals. There definitely is a group that obviously didn't follow wrestling at all before Cael came and so did the success. They annoy PSU fans and other teams fans alike.

I've had many discussions with Iowa fans through the years. I've had interactions with phenomenal Iowa fans and extremely annoying Iowa fans. The negative Iowa fans are the ones are either filled with hate/envy and let everyone supporting PSU know it. The others are the ones who feel that because Iowa has been successful for longer, no one should dare celebrate their own team's success.

Ohio State is in the same boat. All of the top teams fanbases are mixed with awesome fans and annoying fans. It will never change.

I know this won't change things here, but, I would love to read this forum, the PSU forum, and all others, without having to weed through the ones trying to justify one fanbase being "better" than the other.

Just my $.02

Reactions: Dagboi and TarpHawk
As for the match.

- Spencer Lee is phenomenal. I haven't missed a round of states since 1998, and he is definitely one of the most talented wrestlers I've ever seen.

- Marinelli earned that victory. His nickname fits him well. Anyone saying they "know" who will win when they face again, is fooling themselves.

- Kem definitely surprised me with his lack of urgency. Having watched him for years, I believe the injury or an illness had to be involved.

- Sorenson did a good job defending Zain's turns, but, I don't really feel he was wrestling to win.

- I knew the heavyweight match was going to come down to one takedown. The rematch will likely be the same.

Everything else pretty much went to plan.

Ok, ty. Now I know, has this always been the rule? Guess I've been watching too much freestyle

Freestyle it would not be a takedown until a knee touches, you are correct there. But yeah it has always been the rule in folk as long as I can remember.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT