ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa v. Southern - Friday, March 3, 2023

AuroraHawk

HB Heisman
Dec 18, 2004
Southern University Jaguars are on-deck tomorrow at Noon CST. Southern is 4-4 on the season. They started the season by sweeping Jackson St. University, Grambling University and Texas Southern University as part of a historically black college tournament. Games were played in the Houston Astros' home park.

Southern lost a mid-week game to LSU (18-4) before losing 2 of 3 at the Andre Dawson Classic in New Orleans. They beat Alabama A&M and lost to Florida A&M and lost to Alabama State.

Iowa will almost certainly face Jalon Long, a 6'0"/190 lbs Senior transfer from Samford University.

Long went 4IP, 4H, 3 BBs, 4 Ks, 4R (4ER) and threw 70 pitches to 20 batters against Jackson State.
Long went 6.2IP, 7H, 2 BBs, 7 Ks, 5R (5ER) and faced 27 batters against Florida A&M. Pitch count not listed.

Here's his bio: https://gojagsports.com/sports/baseball/roster/jalon-long/3634

Here's hoping that Hucksdorf received a good evaluation and that his injury before the Loras game won't keep him out of the lineup.

Iowa's rotation hasn't been posted yet. I'm betting it will be Langenberg (Southern), Morgan (South Alabama) and Brecht (Pepperdine). I'll be curious to see if Heller goes with Simpson as the first pitcher out of bullpen on Saturday (sticking the the "Saturday plan") or if it is Voelker (consistent with the "Morgan/Voelker" plan). I'm betting on the former.

If I had to rank this weekend's opponents for difficulty, I'd rank them (1) South Alabama (host of tournament/solid program); (2) Pepperdine (although they are not deep in pitching staff) and (3) Southern. If Iowa plays well (minimize errors, pitches well and the bats play), there is no reason why it cannot take all 3 games. Looking for Langenberg to set the early tone and for Iowa to score some early runs on Friday.

Wins and no injuries before heading to Texas Tech for a potentially great series.

Reactions: NorthernHawkeye
I can’t find any reporting about why Langenberg isn’t listed as a starter for today’s game. If he can’t go, I’m thinking Simpson or Voelker takes the hill.

I've seen nothing from the Iowa camp pertaining to today's starting pitcher even though we are inside two hours from first pitch. Southern, on the other hand, has posted its starter on Twitter:

Langenberg gets the start.

Radio announcer says that there are "challenging" weather conditions. When I checked the Apple weather app this a.m. it suggested possible rain up to game time but temps in the low 70s . . . we shall see.

EDIT #1: In pre-game interview, Heller advises that (a) Hucksdorf's knee has responded well to therapy but, out of an abundance of caution, they intend to sit Hucksdorf all weekend with the exception of potential pinch-hitting role; (b) Frazier woke up with a fever and is in the hotel room - he won't be playing today; (c) because of Frazier's illness, Dorighi will play in LF, Petersen moves to CF; Chase Moseley will play in RF and Blake Guerin gets his first start at 1B; (d) the wind is blowing hard to dead CF - could see some balls leave the yard today; and (e) the field is in rough condition - could present a challenge for defenders.

Last edited:
Langenberg gets the start.

Radio announcer says that there are "challenging" weather conditions. When I checked the Apple weather app this a.m. it suggested possible rain up to game time but temps in the low 70s . . . we shall see.
Apparently wind gusts up to 40 mph. Should make things interesting

Iowa ends a threat in T8. Christopherson enters the game with two outs and runners on 1st and 2nd; swinging K.

To B8 - Iowa up 12-8.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT