ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Veterans Trust Fund runs out of money

I think people think this is VA related, it’s not. It goes above and beyond that and is money given out to help with vehicle repairs, utilities, home repair, etc.

Reactions: B1GDeal
I think people think this is VA related, it’s not. It goes above and beyond that and is money given out to help with vehicle repairs, utilities, home repair, etc.
And those in the Guard and Reserve aren’t considered vets for many benefits like health care unless they are actives by federal order and serve their full term. So if someone is in the guard for 8 years and gets out they don’t get VA health care.

And those in the Guard and Reserve aren’t considered vets for many benefits like health care unless they are actives by federal order and serve their full term. So if someone is in the guard for 8 years and gets out they don’t get VA health care.

Spend 8 years active duty and you don't don't get any health care benefits either.

Reactions: denmar81
Reminds me of one of my favorite West Wing episodes. We can only hope more Veterans get better care.

Spend 8 years active duty and you don't don't get any health care benefits either.
Not true. If honorable discharge you should or could meet criteria. Especially if you served in recent years. There’s a lot that goes into the eligibility criteria and priority groups. And, you should apply for a service connection and be evaluated for things.

Reactions: mjtommy
If we cared for the vets we should be involved. I believe we as a state have a small reserve that could be allocated.
Again, this isn’t for VA stuff. Why should the taxpayer be on the hook for peoples car and house repairs? Where does it end? Should we take care of DoorDash and Netflix membership too?

Not true. If honorable discharge you should or could meet criteria. Especially if you served in recent years. There’s a lot that goes into the eligibility criteria and priority groups. And, you should apply for a service connection and be evaluated for things.
You seem to be conflating disability eligibility with years of service.

8 years alone gets you nothing. If you have service related disabilities as approved by the VA then you become eligible for healthcare benefits.

You seem to be conflating disability eligibility with years of service.

8 years alone gets you nothing. If you have service related disabilities as approved by the VA then you become eligible for healthcare benefits.
if you serve AD and have honorable discharge you are very likely to be eligible for healthcare. Only issue could be if you are above income thresholds and have no other qualifying factors.

The " commission " lowered the bar to apply for funds, so demand increased and the funds were used up. Doesn't sound like the state is involved at all...
Of course the state isn't involved. Kimmie doesn't believe in honoring veterans who need a little help after their selfless service

if you serve AD and have honorable discharge you are very likely to be eligible for healthcare. Only issue could be if you are above income thresholds and have no other qualifying factors.
Agree. Any veteran can apply for benefits. Most vets can get some VA system facility access.

Got it, just underfunded while The Kim Reaper slashes the tax base and uses up my money to fund the private education of some kid at a private school

Ok some people need to research what they are talking about....before typing.

This is an Iowa fund on top of federal funds.

It is allocated 500,000 a year. This year eligibility expanded, and the money for the year is used up and will not be replenished until July.

The people that are running it are going to ask for a bigger allotment going forward.

My comments are that someone should have being making noise, very loudly, before it ran out. The ball was dropped there. Even if it comes out that they did tell someone...they should have gotten louder when nothing happened.

Program started in 2007. Dems controlled iowa then. I am not going to look up who was the players in making it happen - but credit dems for being in control and it happening under their watch.

The amount of money is small obviously, about 2.50 a veteran. It would never go very far at 500,000 as is. With inflation and such since then...probably time to increase the amount of money allocated if Iowa wants to keep the program and be able to meet an expanded group of people eligible. I am sure the last 15 years many vets used up their lifetime max benefit from the group so they probably initially thought they were safe with the expanded coverage. In a few years as more newly eligible use up their max, the fund will probably stabilize.

If I was king, anyone injured ( even 5%)while deployed would be eligible for full healthcare and full pension for life

Reactions: THE_DEVIL
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT