ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Volleyball

Mar 14, 2003
So I don't know a lot about Iowa Volleyball and volleyball in general. I know Iowa was BAD, really bad. I remember before the new coach was hired, it was like they didn't even belong on the same floor as the rest of the B1G.

I see they are 16-7 overall and 6-5 in the B1G. It's nice to see them trending in what appears to be the right direction and competing. Hopefully they continue to improve and can one day soon pull of the big upset, I know it almost happened vs Minnesota. Something like that is what spring boards a program to the next step in their goals sometimes.

They got a nice upset win of number #24 Illinois last night. The win guaranteed them a winning season. Its the first wining season since 2000. It's nice to not be at the bottom of the conference. Hopefully they can win a few more and make the NCAA tournament. Their RPI is 57 now but should trend up after this weekend.

Got some votes in the poll this week, massive improvement in the program while playing in the toughest VB conference! Dare we dream the same might happen for softball someday?

So I don't know a lot about Iowa Volleyball and volleyball in general. I know Iowa was BAD, really bad. I remember before the new coach was hired, it was like they didn't even belong on the same floor as the rest of the B1G.

I see they are 16-7 overall and 6-5 in the B1G. It's nice to see them trending in what appears to be the right direction and competing. Hopefully they continue to improve and can one day soon pull of the big upset, I know it almost happened vs Minnesota. Something like that is what spring boards a program to the next step in their goals sometimes.

As others have said, the trend is moving in the right direction. It can't be overstated how difficult the B1G is in volleyball. When you were as far down as the Iowa program has been, just getting to over .500 in conference play may not seem like a big deal but it is.
Right now, the B1G has teams 1-2-3 in the NATIONAL rankings. Nebraska, Minnesota and Wisconsin. Iowa nearly took down Minnesota last week, falling in 5 sets after leading 2-1. That win would have been the biggest for the program in well, arguably forever. Aside from the top 3 teams, the B1G also has Penn State ranked 11, Michigan State (16), Michigan (17), and Ohio State (22). 7 top 25 teams. With Purdue and Illinois receiving votes just outside the Top 25.

When Iowa beat Illinois last weekend, it was the first win over Illini since 2005. I know we as casual fans tend to not pay too much attention to the non-revenue sports, but Shymansky has done a real good job of getting the Iowa program off the mat and into the middle of the conference. It's a first step to having a program that could perhaps one day compete for a conference title.

As others have said, the trend is moving in the right direction. It can't be overstated how difficult the B1G is in volleyball. When you were as far down as the Iowa program has been, just getting to over .500 in conference play may not seem like a big deal but it is.
Right now, the B1G has teams 1-2-3 in the NATIONAL rankings. Nebraska, Minnesota and Wisconsin. Iowa nearly took down Minnesota last week, falling in 5 sets after leading 2-1. That win would have been the biggest for the program in well, arguably forever. Aside from the top 3 teams, the B1G also has Penn State ranked 11, Michigan State (16), Michigan (17), and Ohio State (22). 7 top 25 teams. With Purdue and Illinois receiving votes just outside the Top 25.

When Iowa beat Illinois last weekend, it was the first win over Illini since 2005. I know we as casual fans tend to not pay too much attention to the non-revenue sports, but Shymansky has done a real good job of getting the Iowa program off the mat and into the middle of the conference. It's a first step to having a program that could perhaps one day compete for a conference title.

Are all seats GA at the arena? Thinking of driving out next weekend. Also, how long is a wait for a table after a VB game at the Wig and Pen?

IIRC the ticket you get has a seat number, but in the past I've sat wherever I wanted. Would not think VB normally has any impact on the crowd at the W&P. Now, if the novelty of an Iowa VB team being good enough to get votes in the national polls causes a big spike in attendance, both of the above could be different.

BTW, the Hawks are currently 7th in the B10 standings. First time that we're that high at this point in the season since I've been following Iowa VB.

Last edited:
#1 Nebraska comes to town 8 PM Saturday night, and I saw somewhere (at the football game?) that they are trying to set an attendance record for the game. Would love to go but I am taking my son to the UNI football game.

Last 3 matches of the regular season are Nebraska, Wisconsin and Michigan State. That's just brutal. The B10 does not have a conference tournament for volleyball, and so any hope to sneak into the NCAA tournament will probably require getting one W from those 3, as well as Rutgers this Wednesday (which should happen). Our RPI is somehow only 60, with teams we have beaten above us.

Last edited:
They are at 18 wins right now (18-10) and up 2-0 against Rutgers. Most people are saying 20 to get into the dance. So finish Rutgers to get 19, then steal one from Nebraska (home) Wisconsin (away) Mich St (home-senior night) and should be in with an good RPI. Regardless, Bond has this team heading down the right road!

The Rutgers match was like a how-hard-can-you-swing contest, which is a tribute to the great sets Keala was dishing out to all the hitters. Hawks were just pounding the ball, lots of fun to watch. The Keala-Mariani combo in particular is deadly, we are going to miss that next year.

Last 3 matches of the regular season are Nebraska, Wisconsin and Michigan State. That's just brutal. The B10 does not have a conference tournament for volleyball, and so any hope to sneak into the NCAA tournament will probably require getting one W from those 3, as well as Rutgers this Wednesday (which should happen). Our RPI is somehow only 60, with teams we have beaten above us.
I've been trying to figure out why the RPI is so low too. It has to be the 3-4 very bad teams we played in non-conference dragging us down. That's a shame because we probably could have beaten much better teams.

I agree it's probably going to take a win over a Top 14 team this week to get us into the tournament. Regardless, the season is a huge success!

Sam Houston St.
Guessing Bond is out shopping for a transfer setter too with only an incoming Freshman on the roster next year.
The setter they have coming in is good, really good.
Paige Franck also from Kennedy is a decent setter, so can run a 6-2 if necessary.
But, a transfer won't hurt.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT