******Iowa vs Duke Game Thread******

QChawks

HB King
Feb 11, 2013
Quad Cities
8:30pm ESPN
Duke -2.5 O/U 146.5

Duke 8-2 with loses to Kansas and Purdue

Late game in the garden, going to need a strong night from Rebraca and Perk.

Refs will be against us too. I’m seeing a 81-75 loss.

Last edited:
Reactions: skydog0784
Duke played 9 players on Nov 27 vs Purdue (75-56 loss) and on Nov 30 vs Ohio State (81-72 win).

Defensive rebounding will be a key to the game.

*** Duke had 11 offensive rebounds on 37 missed shots vs Purdue (they rebounded 30% of their misses).

*** They had 13 offensive rebounds on 30 missed shots vs Ohio State (they rebounded 43% of their misses)

They start 4 freshmen so Iowa's experience should come into play.

But look at Duke's overall size. No wonder they hit the glass so well.

Duke Starters:

--4 Freshmen

--1 Junior

4 Come Off the Bench:

--1 Freshman
--1 Sophomore

--2 Seniors

Jacob Grandison (Class of 2017), a 6'6 Senior Shooting Guard, started out at Holy Cross. He arrived at Duke via the transfer portal.

Rebound and Run! That's gotta be our game plan. Do not want to get into a half court battle with the bigger Dukies.

If we limit their ORB and 2nd chance points, and can limit our turnovers and shoot a decent percentage I feel we win. But our margin of error is razor thin. Worry about Murray getting into foul trouble trying to contain their bigger interior guys.

Rebound and Run! That's gotta be our game plan. Do not want to get into a half court battle with the bigger Dukies.

If we limit their ORB and 2nd chance points, and can limit our turnovers and shoot a decent percentage I feel we win. But our margin of error is razor thin. Worry about Murray getting into foul trouble trying to contain their bigger interior guys.
My concern is that Kris gets a 1st half second foul and Fran sits him the rest of the half while Duke builds a big lead. Iowa doesn't have much of a chance in this game unless Kris plays and plays well.

Reactions: Chicagoherky71
Worry about Murray getting into foul trouble trying to contain their bigger interior guys.

My concern is that Kris gets a 1st half second foul and Fran sits him the rest of the half while Duke builds a big lead. Iowa doesn't have much of a chance in this game unless Kris plays and plays well.

We will likely need 37 plus minutes from Kris tonight so Fran is going to have to keep playing Kris in the first half even if he gets that 2nd foul.

Kris has not come close to fouling out in a game so far this season. He had 3 total fouls vs Seton Hall and Bethune Cookman. In 3 other games he had just 2 total fouls. in 2 games he had just 1 total foul.

We will likely need 37 plus minutes from Kris tonight so Fran is going to have to keep playing Kris in the first half even if he gets that 2nd foul.

Kris has not come close to fouling out in a game so far this season. He had 3 total fouls vs Seton Hall and Bethune Cookman. In 3 other games he had just 2 total fouls. in 2 games he had just 1 total foul.
You know the refs will whistle him for two cheap calls in the first half. I just hope we don’t have to see the ACC/Duke loving Teddy V calling this game or ever vs MSU again in our lifetimes. He just loves to call games in their favor.

Reactions: Bishop1971

I've watched Duke several times and they really drive and draw (initiate) a lot of contact. vs. Kansas they had a ton of offensive fouls because Kansas is a good defensive team that takes a lot of charges. Iowa is not a team that takes many charges. That's either going to be and-1's against Iowa or our normal get out of the way defense?

You know the refs will whistle him for two cheap calls in the first half. I just hope we don’t have to see the ACC/Duke loving Teddy V calling this game or ever vs MSU again in our lifetimes. He just loves to call games in their favor.

Fran is gonna have to work the officials big time tonight.

Kris needs to play at least 17-18 minutes each half, imo, if Iowa expects to have a shot at a victory.

So, if Kris gets that 2nd foul in the 1st half, Fran is going to have to play him. Iowa can't afford to have Fran foul Kris out of the 1st half if he gets that 2nd foul.

I've watched Duke several times and they really drive and draw (initiate) a lot of contact. vs. Kansas they had a ton of offensive fouls because Kansas is a good defensive team that takes a lot of charges. Iowa is not a team that takes many charges. That's either going to be and-1's against Iowa or our normal get out of the way defense?

We certainly can't afford our bigs getting into foul trouble; otherwise, we might see Ogundele making a 1st half appearance.

Fran only played 8 players in our last game vs Georgia Tech (only Payton, Dasonte and Connor came off the bench). Our other 3 scholarship players (Ogundele, Dix and Mulvey) sat the entire game.

Duke is loaded with mega-talent as they almost always are... But hawks have the edge in experience. I hope this pays off for us. We have to play smart. If our shots are falling we are a tough team to beat.

Jon Rothstein of CBS Sports interviewed Fran yesterday regarding tonight's match up.

Fran is always a good listen

Skip ahead to the 4:25 mark.

LINK:

Fran said in this 15 minute interview that Duke so far this season has rebounded 42% of their misses. I mentioned above that in their win vs Ohio State, Duke rebounded 43% of their misses. Rebound the damn basketball!!!

Jon mentioned that the B1G Conference lost 15 of their top 20 scorers from a year ago but so far the conference has impressed nationally. Fran said that if Ryan Young & Pete Nance had not transferred out, Northwestern would be a top 5 team in the country.

Fran said in this 15 minute interview that Duke so far this season has rebounded 42% of their misses. I mentioned above that in their win vs Ohio State, Duke rebounded 43% of their misses. Rebound the damn basketball!!!

Jon mentioned that the B1G Conference lost 15 of their top 20 scorers from a year ago but so far the conference has impressed nationally. Fran said that if Ryan Young & Pete Nance had not transferred out, Northwestern would be a top 5 team in the country.
Fran hyperbole alert.

This one has about the same credibility as Josh Ogelsby's shooting prowess.

I could see Sandfort and pmac shooting the ball well tonight. I think perkins will be healthy and hyped for the matchuo. I'm picking the Hawkeyes by 10. Time to see if wecan contend at this point in the season.

Reactions: WadeLookingbill

Yes, Duke is 2nd in the country in terms of rebounding their own misses. Iowa is not good in that area. If Iowa limits Duke to rebounding 35 or 33% of their own misses, Hawks have a shot. But could get ugly if Duke just throws it up on the board and keeps rebounding until they score.

Fran hyperbole alert.

This one has about the same credibility as Josh Ogelsby's shooting prowess.
Yes that made me laugh. Northwester is not bad, would have been pretty dangerous with those two other guys. But not one of the top 5 teams in the country.

Reactions: Sheahawk
We rebound and shoot well we win. I think we do despite some indications we won't or can't

Lol at you whining about the refs hours before tipoff. I'm sure you are insufferable to watch a game with, probably clamoring for a whistle on 100% of possessions.

Let's Go Hawks.

Rebound like animals, don't turn it over and shoot the lites out, about the only chance we have

Reactions: 1911_Bandit
Lol at you whining about the refs hours before tipoff. I'm sure you are insufferable to watch a game with, probably clamoring for a whistle on 100% of possessions.
These refs would be a lot better if they wanted Iowa to win! At least Bane doesn't ref anymorw.

What ball are we using tonight? Hope the one that the good guys like shooting.

My head says this will look like the game against Duke at the United Center in 2001 (close until half, lose by double digits), my heart says the Hawks play a near-perfect game and pull the mini upset. Let's go Hawks!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT