ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa vs Gonzaga at Sanford Pentagon.

This is awesome...I can’t wait...first time in years I’m more excited for basketball season than football.

Now if stubborn people not following guidelines and COVID protocols cost us a shot at a national title this basketball season I’m going to be irate...

Typically through ticket master, but you'd better get them quick. When Iowa played Colorado in Sioux Falls a few years ago, they literally sold out in minutes.

Will they allow a full arena for the game? I guess maybe even the schools don't know the answer at this time.

Will they allow a full arena for the game? I guess maybe even the schools don't know the answer at this time.
It only holds 3500, if they do social distancing maybe 1200. It is owned by Denny Sanford who owns First Premier Bank and basically Sanford Hospital, after all their execs, VIPs and Pentagon employees get tickets I don't think there will be any left. Basically if you don't have connections, you aren't going. I live in Sioux Falls, my daughter goes to Iowa, she knows some players on the team and is best friends with the son of the President of Premier Bankcard and I'd say I have a 5% chance of going.

Sure is. Reminds me of Iowa at Carolina in 1988, 6 vs 9. Then realized that Duke game at the United Center was 1 vs 7 as well

Saturday, January 7th, 1989: The men's basketball team is eating breakfast at their hotel in North Carolina, preparing for a game later that day against the Tar Heels...Horton is not downstairs with them. A little while later the team is gathering in the lobby and waiting to get on the bus...Ed still isn't downstairs. Managers have told a few of the players that his stuff has already been loaded onto the bus. Just as they are about to board the bus, a big sedan pulls up, and out slides Ed from the front passenger's seat. As he stands up, one of the coaches says, "Let's go." And Ed falls in line with them and gets on the bus. No explanation. And let's just say the aroma of the last 12 hours of Ed's life was evident for all to experience.

Horton went on to have 19 rebounds as #9 Iowa beat #6 UNC, 98-97 (some of you will remember this game as being the one where Horton was fouled, but Marble went to the line and shot the FT that won the game for them.)

After the game, some of the younger players are pulled aside by a coach and told, "Ed's a little more grown than most of you guys, so sometimes we have to let him do his thing, but I think we can all agree that his way of doing things isn't for everyone."

Saturday, January 7th, 1989: The men's basketball team is eating breakfast at their hotel in North Carolina, preparing for a game later that day against the Tar Heels...Horton is not downstairs with them. A little while later the team is gathering in the lobby and waiting to get on the bus...Ed still isn't downstairs. Managers have told a few of the players that his stuff has already been loaded onto the bus. Just as they are about to board the bus, a big sedan pulls up, and out slides Ed from the front passenger's seat. As he stands up, one of the coaches says, "Let's go." And Ed falls in line with them and gets on the bus. No explanation. And let's just say the aroma of the last 12 hours of Ed's life was evident for all to experience.

Horton went on to have 19 rebounds as #9 Iowa beat #6 UNC, 98-97 (some of you will remember this game as being the one where Horton was fouled, but Marble went to the line and shot the FT that won the game for them.)

After the game, some of the younger players are pulled aside by a coach and told, "Ed's a little more grown than most of you guys, so sometimes we have to let him do his thing, but I think we can all agree that his way of doing things isn't for everyone."
smell_of_napalm_in_the_morning.jpg

How many games would Iowa have before this one? I'm just thinking if it's, say, their 3rd or 4th game, it could be 1 v 2 or 1 v 3 by then.

Reactions: tWarnerHawk
Huge game for the program. Where is the official statement or press release?

Curious about your opinion on whether both Horton and Marble's uncontrolled bad habits played a role in their failure to go on and have successful pro careers. Ditto Ray Thompson. I always thought that BJ overachieved, but as good as they were, Horton and Marble could have even gotten better. I am not an insider, but I have heard that the coaches' failure to do their job controlling off-court behavior by the team, was a big part of why there was a coaching change. The last time I said something like this, I got the wrath of a lot of fans...

Possibly the biggest non-conference game since that NC game Eddie and Roy's senior year. This is a programing defining moment. Huge stage. We win, we're probably No. 1 for the first time in 33 years. That absolutely elevates our media cache. Great for the boys too. We make it back to the FF and this will be known as the year that Luka and Jordan brought Iowa back to relevance. A win would surely be enormous for spring recruiting.

I say Luka and Jordan because they're the seasons "stars". If we're FF good Luka will be NPoY and Jordan will be the Big Ten's career leader in threes. Obviously almost everyone will play a role in the return to 1980.

Curious about your opinion on whether both Horton and Marble's uncontrolled bad habits played a role in their failure to go on and have successful pro careers. Ditto Ray Thompson. I always thought that BJ overachieved, but as good as they were, Horton and Marble could have even gotten better. I am not an insider, but I have heard that the coaches' failure to do their job controlling off-court behavior by the team, was a big part of why there was a coaching change. The last time I said something like this, I got the wrath of a lot of fans...
I have heard this from a handful of people also. They recall Roy and Eddie to be a lot of fun at parties.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT