here is a list of all “secret scrimmages”
Maryland – 10/19 vs. Pittsburgh
Michigan – 10/24 vs. Detroit
Michigan State – 10/19 vs. Gonzaga in Denver
Minnesota – 10/19 at Iowa State
Nebraska – 10/26 at Wichita State
Northwestern – 10/27 vs. Vanderbilt in Indianapolis
Ohio State – 10/20 at Louisville
Penn State – 10/19 at West Virginia; 10/27 vs. Delaware (charity exhibition)
Purdue – 10/27 vs. Providence in Indianapolis
Rutgers – 10/20 vs. Towson; 10/26 at Yale
Wisconsin – 10/26 vs. Iowa State in Cedar Rapids

It appears that a Division 1 University can either play 1 secret scrimmage game and 1 exhibition game or 2 secret scrimmage games. With the list you provided it appears that Iowa State has gone with 2 secret scrimmages, against Minnesota, and Wisconsin. I'm guessing that they are very informal and there is a lot of stoppages as coaches move players around and work on different aspects of the game. Is this correct?

Last edited:
It appears that a Division 1 University can either play 1 secret scrimmage game and 1 exhibition game or 2 secret scrimmage games. With the list you provided it appears that Iowa State has gone with 2 secret scrimmages, against Minnesota, and Wisconsin. I'm guessing that they are very informal and there is a lot of stoppages as coaches more players around and work on different aspects of the game. Is this correct?

Yes...and coaches will play different defenses that the other team wants to get some reps against as well.

Reactions: EpenesaEpenesa
Ok, RU is the exception...otherwise everyone listed plays a power five opponent.
It is a meaningless practice in the end but with our rigorous non-con schedule I thought Fran might want to prepare vs tough competition.
Maybe they were the only option and they have had decent teams in the past,so not a big deal.
Also,maybe Fran wants a chance to meld all the new guys against a managable foe.

Power 5 is more of a football term. I’d include the the Big East in power conferences for basketball. I’d also include Gonzaga, and WSU is usually decent to good.

Reactions: SDHawkDoc
Yea I meant power six and figured WSU and Zags as top teams. l missed Detroit.
As I said not a big deal.
As for the Duke comment, no one said that these scrimmages mattered record-wise.
I presume that practicing vs Duke might give Fran a better read on how guys will play vs Texas Tech than if they practiced against Clark College...just my opinion.

Yea I meant power six and figured WSU and Zags as top teams. l missed Detroit.
As I said not a big deal.
As for the Duke comment, no one said that these scrimmages mattered record-wise.
I presume that practicing vs Duke might give Fran a better read on how guys will play vs Texas Tech than if they practiced against Clark College...just my opinion.
So...Iowa is practicing against Clarke College? Or are you equating Illinois State and Clarke College?

Illinois State isn't Duke but they are a solid program and more than adequate "scrimmage" partner. A single practice against Duke is not going to be more valuable than a single practice against Illinois State. Wisconsin isn't gaining some huge advantage scrimmaging Iowa St.

As of the last few years, scrimmaging IL State is probably on par with scrimmaging UNI. Would anyone be pissed if Iowa's secret scrimmage was UNI? Unlikely.

Not pissed.
Just an observation More surprised that many of these other schools are playing comparable level opponents than Iowa playing Ill. St.

Bet the farm on Marquette this year. They didn’t miss a shot and held Indiana scoreless.

Seriously thanks for posting this. We’re all looking for any information we can find at this time of year. Hopefully someone leaks some Iowa tidbits on the 27th.

I heard Iowa dominated. Bakari Evelyn had 12 points and 8 assists. He tore up their guards with his speed.

I know it's a scrimmage against a lesser opponent but this is why I believe and why I think Fran believes this team will be competitive nationally.

We didn't have guards like Evelyn last year that can attack the paint and distribute. Nunge and Pemsl will fill the Cook void.

This team will be better than last year.

God I hope so. This sounds pretty positive.

It was allll Hawks boys.. Da NET would have been proud let’s just say that.. sounds like it was some situational scrimmaging as well so not sure how they tallied up the score.

Reactions: HawkeyeHoltkamp
thank you

Here it is from a reply above if you can't see it:

CP84 said:

I heard Iowa dominated. Bakari Evelyn had 12 points and 8 assists. He tore up their guards with his speed.

I know it's a scrimmage against a lesser opponent but this is why I believe and why I think Fran believes this team will be competitive nationally.

We didn't have guards like Evelyn last year that can attack the paint and distribute. Nunge and Pemsl will fill the Cook void.

Here it is from a reply above if you can't see it:

CP84 said:

Excellent, thank you.

Reactions: JAMAM
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT