ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa vs Iowa State 9/11

I have never had an issue at Ames, Madison or any other away game. It must be my peaceful, non confrontational manner. The only issue I have had was some Iowa student stealing the big mustard pump and squirting a Michigan fan. It didn't go over well with me.

My son and I went to Ames for a game 4 years ago. The stadium was marginal. The parking was stupid in all aspects. It was impossible to get out as it took well over an hour to get out. I now understand why they had so many RVs sitting around when I went in and it wasn't to just to tailgate before the game. We both said we would never go back again. GO HAWKS!!!

My son and I went to Ames for a game 4 years ago. The stadium was marginal. The parking was stupid in all aspects. It was impossible to get out as it took well over an hour to get out. I now understand why they had so many RVs sitting around when I went in and it wasn't to just to tailgate before the game. We both said we would never go back again. GO HAWKS!!!
There is nothing -- nothing -- funnier than an Iowa fan complaining about the parking situation at Trice. There are still people who attended the '85 Michigan game in Iowa City trying to get out of whoever's back yard they ended up using.

There is nothing -- nothing -- funnier than an Iowa fan complaining about the parking situation at Trice. There are still people who attended the '85 Michigan game in Iowa City trying to get out of whoever's back yard they ended up using.
And people who think they need or want to leave immediately after a game, I mean c'mon it doesn't matter where you are you are not getting out fast if you stay to the end.

Reactions: BUCKSNDUCKS
One thing I have to mention when fan assholiness is the subject: I grew up hating Big Red - still do -- and attended many ISU-Nebraska games. I was never treated anything but well at Lincoln. I did, however, see ISU fans mistreat Nebraska fans when the game was at Ames. That may, in both cases, have been because most years the game wasn't competitive.

The other place I've attended where the fans were really good folks was Oklahoma State. I've been there twice --- one win, one loss -- and was treated very well both times. Loved the pre-game at Eskimo Joe's.

And people who think they need or want to leave immediately after a game, I mean c'mon it doesn't matter where you are you are not getting out fast if you stay to the end.
That's a reasonable attitude. I will not deny that if everybody stays to the end at ISU, it can take a long time to get out. It doesn't help that there are always visitors who are unfamiliar with the surroundings and screw things up.

The difference between Iowa has 70000 fans at its games versus ISU having maybe 40 k at its games. Why the traffic?

The difference between Iowa has 70000 fans at its games versus ISU having maybe 40 k at its games. Why the traffic?
I think Iowa ranked 20th nationally and ISU was 21st in attendance in 2019. For the five years leading up to that, Iowa averaged about 69,000 and ISU about 55,000.

It was, indeed, Lanning who let Wadley get away. In his defense, he was playing linebac ker for the second time since junior high and he finished the year an all-American. But on that play he didn't get it done.
Also in Lanning's defense, it was Wadley, not one of our 2004 4th-stringers...and Lanning was but one ISU defender who didn't finish the play.

Also in Lanning's defense, it was Wadley, not one of our 2004 4th-stringers...and Lanning was but one ISU defender who didn't finish the play.
Oh, it wasn’t just Lanning. It was a great run by Wadkey and lousy defense by ISU. No excuse for losing that game. Hawks were backed way up, out of timeouts, down 7 points, about 2 minutes left.

I last went to an ISU game in Kinnick in 1979 for the same reasons. There is no shortage of assholes in the world, and no school has a monopoly on them.
I lasted longer than that. Actually in the mid-80's I made it most of the Iowa games. The people sitting around me would be shocked when I showed up in ISU colors for one game every other year. Around 1989, when I finally realized it was quicker to get to Ames than it was to get to a game at Kinnick from Cedar Rapids, my unbroken string of attending ISU home games began. Back in those days there was more room around Kinnick, but there were fewer roads leading in and it was frustrating seeing people walk faster than your car. After the games trying to get downtown was just as bad depending on where you parked. Unless you parked downtown in the first place.

So for more than 25-30 years I attended the ISU games in Iowa City and I had very little problems except when we started winning. A few Hawkeye fans were walking behind us as we walked back to my car and they were doing and saying about anything to try to try to provoke me. It was a bit scary but we just ignored them and kept walking. I didn't think the girlfriend could protect me.

What stopped me from going to games in Iowa City about 10 or 15 years ago was the parking situation kept getting worse. For a period of time I would park in the lot at the top of "the hill". I could always get one of the corner spots because I arrived at sunrise, just like I did in Ames. Then the hospital expansion pushed students into that paved lot, so I was forced to the hill. I liked that spot because you could take the highway 1 exit and approach the hill from the south with little traffic. Leaving that direction wasn't bad either.

Then they closed the hill. That was about it for me. I was done going to games in Iowa City, but the next time we went with the GF's Hawkeye sister and brother-in-law. He had spot in the church lot off of Melrose. It was a nightmare getting there. Early game and they didn't open the lots early enough so everybody had to converge at once. I was convinced that was my last time. Not worth the trouble.

Except two years later I won tickets at a Friday night party. I thought I would park out west and take the train, but it didn't start running early enough for my tailgating schedule. Ended up parking by the Vine and lugged my beer up to the lot next to the stadium to tailgate with friends. On the walk I met Chuck Grassley and we walked and talked volleyball. He wouldn't accept any of my ISU colors, claiming he's a Panther. This would be the last game I would ever attend in Iowa City. It will be an unusual circumstance for me to ever return.

I have always thought it ridiculous to give rival fans crap during the game, my attitude has been welcome to Kinnick I hope you enjoy it as much as we do. During the game an opposing fan should just sit and cheer for their team, not bitch about calls, not revel in crappy plays that the Hawks may have made. And no one will bother you. I've seen both Minnesota fans and an ISU fan and his son fail to observe the above wisdom. They were obnoxious and rightly caught a lot of shit. And the same goes for Hawk fans visiting other stadiums.

Last edited:
I lasted longer than that. Actually in the mid-80's I made it most of the Iowa games. The people sitting around me would be shocked when I showed up in ISU colors for one game every other year. Around 1989, when I finally realized it was quicker to get to Ames than it was to get to a game at Kinnick from Cedar Rapids, my unbroken string of attending ISU home games began. Back in those days there was more room around Kinnick, but there were fewer roads leading in and it was frustrating seeing people walk faster than your car. After the games trying to get downtown was just as bad depending on where you parked. Unless you parked downtown in the first place.

So for more than 25-30 years I attended the ISU games in Iowa City and I had very little problems except when we started winning. A few Hawkeye fans were walking behind us as we walked back to my car and they were doing and saying about anything to try to try to provoke me. It was a bit scary but we just ignored them and kept walking. I didn't think the girlfriend could protect me.

What stopped me from going to games in Iowa City about 10 or 15 years ago was the parking situation kept getting worse. For a period of time I would park in the lot at the top of "the hill". I could always get one of the corner spots because I arrived at sunrise, just like I did in Ames. Then the hospital expansion pushed students into that paved lot, so I was forced to the hill. I liked that spot because you could take the highway 1 exit and approach the hill from the south with little traffic. Leaving that direction wasn't bad either.

Then they closed the hill. That was about it for me. I was done going to games in Iowa City, but the next time we went with the GF's Hawkeye sister and brother-in-law. He had spot in the church lot off of Melrose. It was a nightmare getting there. Early game and they didn't open the lots early enough so everybody had to converge at once. I was convinced that was my last time. Not worth the trouble.

Except two years later I won tickets at a Friday night party. I thought I would park out west and take the train, but it didn't start running early enough for my tailgating schedule. Ended up parking by the Vine and lugged my beer up to the lot next to the stadium to tailgate with friends. On the walk I met Chuck Grassley and we walked and talked volleyball. He wouldn't accept any of my ISU colors, claiming he's a Panther. This would be the last game I would ever attend in Iowa City. It will be an unusual circumstance for me to ever return.
The fact that it is quicker for you to get to Ames for a game when you live in Cedar Rapids is a you issue. The fact that you went to that many Iowa games and can’t figure a way to find a place to park is surprising.

The fact that it is quicker for you to get to Ames for a game when you live in Cedar Rapids is a you issue. The fact that you went to that many Iowa games and can’t figure a way to find a place to park is surprising.
This was back in the early Hayden Fry days. My buddy was a big donor and had parking near the stadium. We knew exactly where it was. 380 did not go south of I80. There were only a few main roads to get to the stadium. It could take hours as traffic would be at a standstill on the Coralville strip all the way to the HyVee or further. It was faster to walk. Other routes were just as bad.

I remember being at a standstill on Morman Trek when the guy in the car next to me struck up a conversation. It was the Iowa State game and the car was Ed Banach not long after the Olympics. He was speaking with high praise of Iowa State which I thought odd until I later discovered he took a job there.

My friend was a big donor and had a parking spot close to the stadium. It took forever to get to his spot or out of it after the game. The only way to avoid the delay was to time the trip to arrive right at kickoff. But there's no fun in that.

Another game we both took dates and drove separately. We planned to meet at Maxwell after the game. A couple hours after the game we saw each other on the strip. I was headed east and he had given up and was headed west to go back home. Neither of us were moving making much progress. We didn't have cell phones back then and I would have continued toward downtown if I hadn't seen him. I ended up taking the "shortcut" past Hancher and back to I80 via Dubuque Street, but that wasn't any better.

If you don't believe me, then you didn't drive to games during that time.

I have that troll on ignore but did it actually say it could get to JT quicker than it could Kinnick from CR? Iowa City is less than 30 miles from CR and if you flow with traffic, you are going at least 80. There is no place in CR from which you can't be parked and walking to the stadium in less than an hour. Ames is 110 miles from CR. It would need to parachute out of a plane to get there in anywhere near that time.
ISU "people" are special.

Around 1989, when I finally realized it was quicker to get to Ames than it was to get to a game at Kinnick from Cedar Rapids, my unbroken string of attending ISU home games began. Back in those days there was more room around Kinnick, but there were fewer roads leading in and it was frustrating seeing people walk faster than your car. After the games trying to get downtown was just as bad depending on where you parked. Unless you parked downtown in the first place.
LMAO holy hyperbole batman!!!!! - I live in CR, have season tickets. I can leave my house and be tailgating with a beer in my hand in about an hour. If you can get to Ames, much less parked and tailgating, from CR in about an hour that's impressive. My daughter (no pics) is in her final semester at ISU, I drive there quite a bit. Even with the Hwy 100 bypass and large parts of I-30 being 4 lane, you can't do it in an hour. You would have to average about 110mph. Back in '89, I think 30 was 2 lane the whole way.

I have always thought it ridiculous to give rival fans crap during the game, my attitude has been welcome to Kinnick I hope you enjoy it as much as we do. During the game an opposing fan should just sit and cheer for their team, not bitch about calls, not revel in crappy plays that the Hawks may have made. And no one will bother you. I've seen both Minnesota fans and an ISU fan and his son fail to observe the above wisdom. They were obnoxious and rightly caught a lot shit. And the same goes for Hawk fans visiting other stadiums.
100% agree. If I go to Iowa games on the road, cheer for the Hawks but don't be a douche. Don't badger the home fans and goad them.

This was back in the early Hayden Fry days. My buddy was a big donor and had parking near the stadium. We knew exactly where it was. 380 did not go south of I80. There were only a few main roads to get to the stadium. It could take hours as traffic would be at a standstill on the Coralville strip all the way to the HyVee or further. It was faster to walk. Other routes were just as bad.

I remember being at a standstill on Morman Trek when the guy in the car next to me struck up a conversation. It was the Iowa State game and the car was Ed Banach not long after the Olympics. He was speaking with high praise of Iowa State which I thought odd until I later discovered he took a job there.

My friend was a big donor and had a parking spot close to the stadium. It took forever to get to his spot or out of it after the game. The only way to avoid the delay was to time the trip to arrive right at kickoff. But there's no fun in that.

Another game we both took dates and drove separately. We planned to meet at Maxwell after the game. A couple hours after the game we saw each other on the strip. I was headed east and he had given up and was headed west to go back home. Neither of us were moving making much progress. We didn't have cell phones back then and I would have continued toward downtown if I hadn't seen him. I ended up taking the "shortcut" past Hancher and back to I80 via Dubuque Street, but that wasn't any better.

If you don't believe me, then you didn't drive to games during that time.
I think with time stories get bigger and bigger. We parked in the lot next to the railroad tracks by the press box. I don’t recall having issues like that and that was navigating that trip in an RV. Maybe we just had great luck, every game. Lone better revoke some of your ‘only facts’ credits for this tall tale.

*Edit - this is from the Commings well into the Ferentz era. So all of Fry is included.

LMAO holy hyperbole batman!!!!! - I live in CR, have season tickets. I can leave my house and be tailgating with a beer in my hand in about an hour. If you can get to Ames, much less parked and tailgating, from CR in about an hour that's impressive. My daughter (no pics) is in her final semester at ISU, I drive there quite a bit. Even with the Hwy 100 bypass and large parts of I-30 being 4 lane, you can't do it in an hour. You would have to average about 110mph. Back in '89, I think 30 was 2 lane the whole way.
A lot of reading comprehension problems on this site. I said this was the case in the mid-eighties. Surely there are people on here that remember those days. Traffic would back up for miles on the few roads to the stadium.

You are right 30 to Ames wasn't as good, but it was only a two hour drive.

That's a reasonable attitude. I will not deny that if everybody stays to the end at ISU, it can take a long time to get out. It doesn't help that there are always visitors who are unfamiliar with the surroundings and screw things up.
My experience is this, both in Ames and Iowa City. If you get up and leave right at the final whistle, then briskly walk to your car, you will get out just fine. If you stay and cheer the teams off the field, sing heaven there is no beer, whatever. You’ll be in line half an hour. If you dink around for 15 minutes, you’re stuck for an hour and a half.

I think with time stories get bigger and bigger. We parked in the lot next to the railroad tracks by the press box. I don’t recall having issues like that and that was navigating that trip in an RV. Maybe we just had great luck, every game. Lone better revoke some of your ‘only facts’ credits for this tall tale.

*Edit - this is from the Commings well into the Ferentz era. So all of Fry is included.
I lived on the NW side of CR at the time Psyclone is talking about, and it was routine that we could get back from an ISU game quicker than my neighbor could get back from his Iowa game....and that was when most of Highway 30 was still two-lane. In f airness, at the time there were a lot more people attending Iowa games than ISU games.

A lot of reading comprehension problems on this site. I said this was the case in the mid-eighties. Surely there are people on here that remember those days. Traffic would back up for miles on the few roads to the stadium.

If it took you two hours to get to a tailgate from CR...even back then...you were doing it wrong. I had season tickets back then, it was never as bad as you say to get to a game. Getting out afterwards....sucked royally but could be mitigated if you knew a few simple secrets that still hold true today.

First and foremost....no matter where you're parked, head directly away from the stadium. If you're parked on the west side and need to go east....don't care...go west and get away. I've driven to 380->80 to go east, I've driven south to Hwy6, east to scott blvd and north to I-80 to go to coralville.

Second, you don't have to leave early, but don't dally. Some people think they'll have a beer first to let the crowd dissipate....it gets much worse before it gets better. Go straight to you car, get in and go. If not, then hang out for at least an hour.

Reactions: theiacowtipper
I have always thought it ridiculous to give rival fans crap during the game, my attitude has been welcome to Kinnick I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

The worst I’ve ever seen a fan treated was at Kinnick against MSU when they came in ranked in the top-5. The Sash INT lateral game. Anyway, I was waiting in the north end zone restroom line at halftime and there was a college aged MSU fan decked out in green also in the line. A couple of drunk, idiot Iowa fans were harassing him nonstop. And it wasn’t friendly. He was called a fa**ot along with everything else. He just stood there and took it. It didn’t stop until some of us Iowa fans yelled them down. I hope those guys ended up in jail. It was disgusting.

My experiences were at the height of the early Fry era. There was more parking near the stadium before the hospital and athletic facilities started taking it away. Traffic would be backed up on Melrose, Mormon Trek and down the strip or 1st Avenue in Coralville. For the bigger games traffic would slow on 380.

The Dubuque Street exit wasn't a good option either. Nor was 218.

Most of my memories were the time it took to get there. We usually stayed in town after and had a blast at Maxwell & The Field House.

Maybe we picked the worst possible time to arrive. I know we went a time or two where we got there at kickoff or shortly after. Had no problems then.

It got much better when 380 went south and opened up more options, but that was years later.

Last edited:
My experiences were at the height of the early Fry era. There was more parking near the stadium before the hospital and athletic facilities started taking it away. Traffic would be backed up on Melrose, Mormon Trek and down the strip or 1st Avenue in Coralville. For the bigger games traffic would slow on 380.

Most of my memories were the time it took to get there. We usually stayed in town after and had a blast at Maxwell & The Field House.

Maybe we picked the worst possible time to arrive. I know we went a time or two where we got there at kickoff or shortly after. Had no problems then.

It got much better when 380 went south and opened up more options, but that was years later.
I remember them having state troopers on 80 directing traffic. I won’t say it wasn’t a pain but I will say again that if you had that significant of an issue then either you were extremely unlucky or extremely impatient. Getting to the games was the easy part. Maybe taking side streets in with an RV saved us some time. Not coming in on Dubuque St. was another. Perhaps the path of least resistance would have saved you some time.

The worst I’ve ever seen a fan treated was at Kinnick against MSU when they came in ranked in the top-5. The Sash INT lateral game. Anyway, I was waiting in the north end zone restroom line at halftime and there was a college aged MSU fan decked out in green also in the line. A couple of drunk, idiot Iowa fans were harassing him nonstop. And it wasn’t friendly. He was called a fa**ot along with everything else. He just stood there and took it. It didn’t stop until some of us Iowa fans yelled them down. I hope those guys ended up in jail. It was disgusting.
Thanks for doing the right thing.

It has helped since start times vary so widely now versus back in the Fry days. If a later than 11am start it really spreads out the traffic going inbound. Getting out, yes still an issue but it is what it is. Will see how not having the train running impacts parking in closer and traffic on Melrose going in.

I remember them having state troopers on 80 directing traffic. I won’t say it wasn’t a pain but I will say again that if you had that significant of an issue then either you were extremely unlucky or extremely impatient. Getting to the games was the easy part. Maybe taking side streets in with an RV saved us some time. Not coming in on Dubuque St. was another. Perhaps the path of least resistance would have saved you some time.
I'm pretty sure we tried all the main routes. If there were shortcuts we never found them, nor did hundreds of other people stuck in traffic with us. The sight of people walking down the strip making far more progress than the traffic is an image hard to forget. Creeping along Morman Trek talking to Banach is something you don't forget.

Maybe this situation was at its worst when I attended and we picked the worst time to arrive. The 1985 season with the Chuck Long bootleg and the Houghtlin kick were heady days for Iowa football. Lots of national TV coverage. Way too much post-game fun in the downtown bars.

Let's end this conversation. It serves no purpose continuing it. I know what I experienced. Maybe my driver was just too stupid and didn't know the tricks to avoiding the traffic. All I know is we weren't alone.

It has helped since start times vary so widely now versus back in the Fry days. If a later than 11am start it really spreads out the traffic going inbound. Getting out, yes still an issue but it is what it is. Will see how not having the train running impacts parking in closer and traffic on Melrose going in.
In those late 90's years, I would take 380 south to highway 1 and head to the parking lot on the hill. At sunrise I could get one of the corner spots. Although I only came ever other year, I would tell my Hawkeye season ticket holding friends where I would be and when they came to find me, they were totally unaware of that parking spot. The best thing about it was the escape back to Cedar Rapids was the reverse. Head south to get back on 380 at the highway 1 ramp and you were well on your way. Until the students took the paved lot and the university closed the hill.

In those later years, whether it was an Iowa State game in Ames or a game in Iowa City, sunrise was my target arrival time in order to get my preferred parking spot. I figured if I get to the lots in Ames at sunrise, I beat those folks coming a lot shorter distance from Des Moines. Same routine for games in Iowa City. Now I have a place in Ames and a reserved, numbered spot at Jack Trice so I don't have the same kind of problems staking my claim.

I'm pretty sure we tried all the main routes. If there were shortcuts we never found them, nor did hundreds of other people stuck in traffic with us. The sight of people walking down the strip making far more progress than the traffic is an image hard to forget. Creeping along Morman Trek talking to Banach is something you don't forget.

Maybe this situation was at its worst when I attended and we picked the worst time to arrive. The 1985 season with the Chuck Long bootleg and the Houghtlin kick were heady days for Iowa football. Lots of national TV coverage. Way too much post-game fun in the downtown bars.

Let's end this conversation. It serves no purpose continuing it. I know what I experienced. Maybe my driver was just too stupid and didn't know the tricks to avoiding the traffic. All I know is we weren't alone.
I remember what you are saying. Very much recall traffic backed up on 380 at the Melrose exit with troopers directing traffic there. Mostly 1980s from what I can remember but could have been early to mid 90s as well. Seems like we always tried to get there a couple hours prior to game so most likely why we had those experiences.

Have gone to the Iowa / Iowa State game in Ames and I don't know the secret there for routes either, but man there has been a couple times we were way stacked up on highway 30. Getting off at the Vet Med exit to park there. We about got smoked once as we had just stopped on 30 and the person coming from behind was not watching closely and I was watching mirror and I pulled my car off highway and onto side of road. Had I not done so would have been a definite collision as they got stopped and were right beside us and almost touched the bumper of the car ahead. We just waved and they let us back in line.

So you are saying tons of fans would show up to Iowa games, the place was packed and traffic was bad. But at Iowa State you could drive right up to the front of the stadium with no issue, park, and walk into the stadium.

What are you trying to accomplish here? Is this something to even be bragging about? Very odd.

I never had a problem getting to and from games during the Fry era. Lived in Cedar Rapids for the first part of his tenure. It NEVER took as long as psyclone is claiming. Ever.

I remember what you are saying. Very much recall traffic backed up on 380 at the Melrose exit with troopers directing traffic there. Mostly 1980s from what I can remember but could have been early to mid 90s as well. Seems like we always tried to get there a couple hours prior to game so most likely why we had those experiences.

Have gone to the Iowa / Iowa State game in Ames and I don't know the secret there for routes either, but man there has been a couple times we were way stacked up on highway 30. Getting off at the Vet Med exit to park there. We about got smoked once as we had just stopped on 30 and the person coming from behind was not watching closely and I was watching mirror and I pulled my car off highway and onto side of road. Had I not done so would have been a definite collision as they got stopped and were right beside us and almost touched the bumper of the car ahead. We just waved and they let us back in line.
I'm glad someone backs me up from that era. If others didn't have issues, it must be related to arrival time and somewhat destination lot. We probably picked the worst time to arrive. I quit going to every game later in the 80's. When I would go to the occasional game in the mid to late 90's, I no longer went with my Hawkeye donor-buddy. I would go on my own and park on the lot near the hill. No trouble getting to games at all while the hill was still open. More routes available and roads with more ability to handle the traffic. Of course I would go way early. I've also parked in the downtown mall parking lot a time or two and walked. That works good when you are planning to hit the bars after the game.

I have heard about traffic issues for the Iowa game getting into Ames. Way more people come for the tailgating that don't have tickets for the game. Depending on game start time, donors can have an advantage getting in before general public lots are open. I've got two reserved spots in different lots in Ames. The one I typically use is a pain to get out of. When I was in a different donor lot, I pretty much had a straight shot out of the lot and quickly to highway 30 and on my way home. The lot I park in now, I can either rush to the car and beat everybody, or I have to wait about an hour for traffic to clear. I now have a condo in Ames I stay at for games. I could be nearly halfway to Cedar Rapids from my old spot before I get out of this new one. That was a bit disappointing, but a post-game beer is not such a bad thing.

Last edited:
I'm glad someone backs me up from that era. If others didn't have issues, it must be related to arrival time and somewhat destination lot. We probably picked the worst time to arrive. I quit going to every game later in the 80's. When I would go to the occasional game in the mid to late 90's, I no longer went with my Hawkeye donor-buddy. I would go on my own and park on the lot near the hill. No trouble getting to games at all while the hill was still open. More routes available and roads with more ability to handle the traffic. Of course I would go way early. I've also parked in the mall parking lot a time or two and walked. That works good when you are planning to hit the bars after the game.

I have heard about traffic issues for the Iowa game getting into Ames. Way more people come for the tailgating that don't have tickets for the game. Depending on game start time, donors can have an advantage getting in before general public lots are open. I've got two reserved spots in different lots in Ames. The one I typically use is a pain to get out of. When I was in a different donor lot, I pretty much had a straight shot out of the lot and quickly to highway 30 and on my way home. The lot I park in now, I can either rush to the car and beat everybody, or I have to wait about an hour for traffic to clear. I now have a condo in Ames I stay at for games. I could be nearly halfway to Cedar Rapids from my old spot before I get out of this new one. That was a bit disappointing, but a post-game beer is not such a bad thing.
When Trice was first built, our group was virtually the only one that bad a few beers at the car after the game and let the crowd dissipate. Now, a whole lot of people do that.

My most frustrating experience at Iowa City was when we went with friends from out of town. They were parents of their first child, who was about two, and he was being baby-sat at our house by someone the parents didn't know (obviously). We were parked in somebody's yard. Our friends wanted to get home -- the new mother was very concerned, and this was before cell phones. We got back to our car and discovered the cars blocking us in were not only still there, but the people were taking out grills and starting to begin a tailgate. They were not receptive to our urges to let us out. In fact, quite nasty. And this was not an Iowa State game, and all four of us were wearing Hawkeye gear. Eventually, after some commentary by the new mother that included the F word, they grudgingly let us out.

There seems to be some common denominators in these posts about a**hole fans. When I interview people and I ask them why they left their last job and they say ‘bad boss’ I think ‘can see that’ the job before that ‘bad supervisor’ a little hesitation… the job before that ‘bad co workers’ I want to hold the mirror up and say ‘here may be the issue’.
Madison, Ames, Minneapolis, Champaign, bowl games haven’t had any issues. No jerks while parking, no incredibly difficult drives to games, etc. the caveat is you probably have been at more games to experience it than I have.

Reactions: chuck285
There seems to be some common denominators in these posts about a**hole fans. When I interview people and I ask them why they left their last job and they say ‘bad boss’ I think ‘can see that’ the job before that ‘bad supervisor’ a little hesitation… the job before that ‘bad co workers’ I want to hold the mirror up and say ‘here may be the issue’.
Madison, Ames, Minneapolis, Champaign, bowl games haven’t had any issues. No jerks while parking, no incredibly difficult drives to games, etc. the caveat is you probably have been at more games to experience it than I have.
In rivalry games, there are people who go with the intent/expectation of confrontation. One of the nice things about the ISU-Iowa rivalry is the number of mixed tailgates you see. Considering how long the game has been played, and the fact that quite a few games have been really close, there has been damned few problems and no really serious ones.

The last time Iowa played at Ames in the daytime, there were an estimated 30,000 people in the parking lot when the game was played, and the seats were full. People come to tailgate, watch the game on TV and keep partying during the game.

I've only had one time in many games in Iowa City where I felt threatened. But nothing happened because I did my best to ignore them and keep moving.

I've wondered if fans that have issues at games do something to bring it on themselves. Maybe they confront people who are being jerks and it goes downhill from there.

Reactions: chuck285
Out of 14 or 15 games this year, the hawks are the 12th or 13th most important game. I guess you could call it The Super Bowl of the non-conference schedule.
Not what my isu acquaintances tell me.

ADVERTISEMENT