ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa vs Iowa State 9/11

At 6 in the morning there would have been NO traffic. He could have parked in N. Liberty and walked the rest of the way in two hours... :p :cool:
Dang it guys. Read what I've posted.

The traffic issues were in the 80's when I arrived at a more normal time and parked next to the stadium. Traffic was an issue both before and after games.

The sunrise arrivals were years later around the turn of the century, when I parked near or on the hill and took advantage of I380 going south to highway 1. There were no traffic problems from that location, except what you'd normally expect getting out of the lot after the game.

Still some holdouts on CyFan that they are sure the Big Ten will invite them in, just not this year.

Dang it guys. Read what I've posted.

The traffic issues were in the 80's when I arrived at a more normal time and parked next to the stadium. Traffic was an issue both before and after games.

The sunrise arrivals were years later around the turn of the century, when I parked near or on the hill and took advantage of I380 going south to highway 1. There were no traffic problems from that location, except what you'd normally expect getting out of the lot after the game.
What did you consider’normal arrival time’ in the 80’s?

This was back in the early Hayden Fry days. My buddy was a big donor and had parking near the stadium. We knew exactly where it was. 380 did not go south of I80. There were only a few main roads to get to the stadium. It could take hours as traffic would be at a standstill on the Coralville strip all the way to the HyVee or further. It was faster to walk. Other routes were just as bad.

I remember being at a standstill on Morman Trek when the guy in the car next to me struck up a conversation. It was the Iowa State game and the car was Ed Banach not long after the Olympics. He was speaking with high praise of Iowa State which I thought odd until I later discovered he took a job there.

My friend was a big donor and had a parking spot close to the stadium. It took forever to get to his spot or out of it after the game. The only way to avoid the delay was to time the trip to arrive right at kickoff. But there's no fun in that.

Another game we both took dates and drove separately. We planned to meet at Maxwell after the game. A couple hours after the game we saw each other on the strip. I was headed east and he had given up and was headed west to go back home. Neither of us were moving making much progress. We didn't have cell phones back then and I would have continued toward downtown if I hadn't seen him. I ended up taking the "shortcut" past Hancher and back to I80 via Dubuque Street, but that wasn't any better.

If you don't believe me, then you didn't drive to games during that time.

I've been going to games since 1980 at the age of 5. While IC can be an issue for those new or unfamiliar with the area, there is no reason for anyone attending on a regular basis to face the issues your describe, especially if you're a big donor as you describe.

I've been going to games since 1980 at the age of 5. While IC can be an issue for those new or unfamiliar with the area, there is no reason for anyone attending on a regular basis to face the issues your describe, especially if you're a big donor as you describe.
Not sure that poster is around to address that. Heard that he donated all of his ketchup to ISU so they could get new uniforms. Hasn’t been able to finish the crow that his big mouth bit off.

yea--this is pretty much bs, I have been a gold hawk level since 85 and drove to games before that, never had hours of wait, even after games now it seems like the traffic is bad and then you look at your watch and it was like 25-30 minutes.
Used to park next to the stadium area where the RV began on the grass--could drive in at 9 for an 11 am game, get back and set up with pretty much no issues...

Probably safe to say now after 2 games that the chances of an ISU player going in the first round of the next NFL draft is almost 0.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT