ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa vs Iowa State

ketelmeister

HR Heisman
Dec 10, 2006
Iowa should be favorite in Iowa City. Both teams improved over last year. Another close game?

Based on what I've read, Cyclones are expecting to have their best season in modern day history. That (to me) implies a 10 win season.
At dl, RB, cb they will bring players arguably the best to ever play at that school. Their WR and lbs will be good as well.

ISU loses 5 of their best players and they lose a lot of depth. They also get the disadvantage of playing in Kinnick.

Trevor Ryen - he was their best speed/multi-purpose guy last year
Allen Lazard - he was their best WR
Joel Lanning - All conference at linebacker - not many of those type players come thru at ISU
Kamari Cotton-Moya - he was an eraser at safety for the last 4 years. Big, big loss
Jake Campos - their LT and best OL - 25 plus starts

ISU really only has 2 guys that scare - Hakim Butler and David Montgomery. Iowa St’s OL was a disaster last year and Iowa should be able to roll coverage if necessary for Butler. Lazard and Ryen made that close to impossible last year.

In addition, quarterback is not a strength for that team - talent wise Kempt is a major downgrade compared with Park. I think they will end up turning over the ball a bunch in this game. Don’t forget - ISU lost their OC this offseason.

Finally, Iowa is going to be a lot better on offense. We finally have a little depth and competition on the OL. I think whatever we do lose with Jewell and Jackson we’ll get guys to step up. Safety and DL will be big strengths this year esp compared to last year.

Iowa by 21

It’s a big game, Iowa can win its 4th in a row which it has not done since they Hayden era.

Iowa St have a lot of studs returning including their big WR. Will they go Purdue and throw it up to him every play?

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
I’m sure it will be close. Their defense has talent, but is inexperienced in the middle. Solid #1 WR and RB. Questions about OL and QB. I think both teams will be pretty good next year. Edge probably goes to Iowa in Kinnick.

Iowa by 21

I agree with mt of your post. 21 is a lot for KF and company. My biggest beef with our coaching staff is if we get up by 2-3 points they seem to go into play to not lose mode. When they do pull away it's when a back breaks a play, not from trying to put the opponent away.

ISU loses 5 of their best players and they lose a lot of depth. They also get the disadvantage of playing in Kinnick.

Joel Lanning - All conference at linebacker - not many of those type players come thru at ISU
Kamari Cotton-Moya - he was an eraser at safety for the last 4 years. Big, big loss

ISU really only has 2 guys that scare - Hakim Butler and David Montgomery. Iowa St’s OL was a disaster last year and Iowa should be able to roll coverage if necessary for Butler. Lazard and Ryen made that close to impossible last year.

In addition, quarterback is not a strength for that team - talent wise Kempt is a major downgrade compared with Park. I think they will end up turning over the ball a bunch in this game. Don’t forget - ISU lost their OC this offseason.

Finally, Iowa is going to be a lot better on offense. We finally have a little depth and competition on the OL. I think whatever we do lose with Jewell and Jackson we’ll get guys to step up. Safety and DL will be big strengths this year esp compared to last year.

Iowa by 21
You must not read Peterson and Birch. :)

Reactions: Parker D
In addition, quarterback is not a strength for that team - talent wise Kempt is a major downgrade compared with Park. I think they will end up turning over the ball a bunch in this game. Don’t forget - ISU lost their OC this off season.

I would have to disagree that Kempt is major downgrade at QB. He is a much smarter and accurate QB than Park (yes, he does not have Park's arm strength) IMO. It will be a very tough game, but hopefully Iowa pulls it out. Iowa fans who thing ISU is a lousy program under Campbell are underestimating his program, again IMO.

Loser has to "like" everything the other person post for the season. ISU has pissed me off too many times when I'm feeling this good about a season.

Don't underestimate our team. The program is in better shape now with a very good coaching staff.

Reactions: kceasthawk

Iowa by 21
Kyle Kempt beat Oklahoma in Norman in a shootout in the first game he started ever. Park's best game was probably Iowa. Yes he was pretty good but I'll take Kempt if I had one game to win and had to choose between the 2

I wonder if this will be a night game. But I would prefer 11:00 am for this one. Thoughts?

I agree with mt of your post. 21 is a lot for KF and company. My biggest beef with our coaching staff is if we get up by 2-3 points they seem to go into play to not lose mode. When they do pull away it's when a back breaks a play, not from trying to put the opponent away.
KF may sit on a lead, but not when its 3pts or less. People love to carry on these myths. Ask OSU or Nebraska the last several years if we put the breaks on???????

Kyle Kempt beat Oklahoma in Norman in a shootout in the first game he started ever. Park's best game was probably Iowa. Yes he was pretty good but I'll take Kempt if I had one game to win and had to choose between the 2
Oklahoma had a mediocre defense and they entered the game completely overlooking the Cyclones. When the Cyclones answered every punch ... that planted seeds of doubt. It was a great credit to the Cyclones for winning ... particularly when starting an absolutely new guy in the game.

However, as others have noted ... part of what contributed to ISU's success on offense was having a deep and experienced group at WR. That included 3 SRs in Lazard, Ryan, and Murdoch. They admittedly still return guys with experience and talent. However, being deep within a group helps open up opportunities - and gives you more options in terms of being multiple with your personnel.

Even with all of ISU's superlatives going into 2018 ... as millhawk and others have suggested ... it's not like the Hawks aren't without their own superlatives. Last year the Hawks were breaking in safeties ... seemingly en masse. This season, I think that most of us pretty comfortable with our group of safeties ... that is pretty critical when knowing when you're facing more of a pass-happy team like ISU. Furthermore, Iowa's DL should be more solid in the middle given all the gained experience that the group had. That group will be critical when it comes to slowing down ISU's stud RB, Montgomery.

ISU's returning LBs are pretty darn good ... even without Lanning. Spears had an absolute magnificent game against the Hawks last year ... the kid impressed me a lot. However, Iowa's TEs are a handful for ANY group of LBs. Furthermore, I know that the Hawks entered the '17 season with so much concern about their passing game ... that maybe the running game got neglected a little (and that issue got exacerbated given the injuries to our top OTs). Now, the Hawks will be entering the '18 season wanting to make sure that they reassert the strength of our running game.

I won't be so bold as to guarantee an Iowa victory. However, I feel very comfortable about Iowa's chances to win. I anticipate that it should be a great game ... and it will be a game that will help make the Hawks better as a team. Hopefully we win too!

Oklahoma had a mediocre defense and they entered the game completely overlooking the Cyclones. When the Cyclones answered every punch ... that planted seeds of doubt. It was a great credit to the Cyclones for winning ... particularly when starting an absolutely new guy in the game.

However, as others have noted ... part of what contributed to ISU's success on offense was having a deep and experienced group at WR. That included 3 SRs in Lazard, Ryan, and Murdoch. They admittedly still return guys with experience and talent. However, being deep within a group helps open up opportunities - and gives you more options in terms of being multiple with your personnel.

Even with all of ISU's superlatives going into 2018 ... as millhawk and others have suggested ... it's not like the Hawks aren't without their own superlatives. Last year the Hawks were breaking in safeties ... seemingly en masse. This season, I think that most of us pretty comfortable with our group of safeties ... that is pretty critical when knowing when you're facing more of a pass-happy team like ISU. Furthermore, Iowa's DL should be more solid in the middle given all the gained experience that the group had. That group will be critical when it comes to slowing down ISU's stud RB, Montgomery.

ISU's returning LBs are pretty darn good ... even without Lanning. Spears had an absolute magnificent game against the Hawks last year ... the kid impressed me a lot. However, Iowa's TEs are a handful for ANY group of LBs. Furthermore, I know that the Hawks entered the '17 season with so much concern about their passing game ... that maybe the running game got neglected a little (and that issue got exacerbated given the injuries to our top OTs). Now, the Hawks will be entering the '18 season wanting to make sure that they reassert the strength of our running game.

I won't be so bold as to guarantee an Iowa victory. However, I feel very comfortable about Iowa's chances to win. I anticipate that it should be a great game ... and it will be a game that will help make the Hawks better as a team. Hopefully we win too!
Thanks for the information. Truly appreciated

Regarding Kempt - aside from the Oklahoma game the guy wasn’t very good last year. ISU ended up winning a lot of games with defense down the stretch. He has a habit of making late or poor decisions with the ball too, which makes us a poor match up for ISU given the strength of our secondary.

Reactions: Parker D
Based on what I've read, Cyclones are expecting to have their best season in modern day history. That (to me) implies a 10 win season.
At dl, RB, cb they will bring players arguably the best to ever play at that school. Their WR and lbs will be good as well.
They play Iowa, Oklahoma, TCU, OSU, West Virginia, Texas and KSU. They will be lucky be .500.

On paper, meaning offensive and defensive production returning/lost, ISU ost a lot, and I mean a lot of production.

But, early season game with three new LBers for Iowa could mitigate the above.

If you asked me to impartially pick, I'd have to take Iowa based on how much ISU lost frm last season.

This said, that is not always the ways things work.

Iowa by 21
Let’s see. Park loses to Iowa and Kempt beats OU and TCU.

Reactions: MOClone and ATCy
Regarding Kempt - aside from the Oklahoma game the guy wasn’t very good last year. ISU ended up winning a lot of games with defense down the stretch. He has a habit of making late or poor decisions with the ball too, which makes us a poor match up for ISU given the strength of our secondary.

Voice of Ron Howard narrating: Kempt completed 66% of his passes, threw 15 TDs to 3 INTs, and had a passer rating of 145 (compared to a 135 rating for the QB on the team the team that will easily win next year)

In another thread while back had a list of defenses kempt faced. Only one Which I believe was TCU that was top 50 in the nation last year. In fact he played against some really low ranked defenses last season like Texas tech, Kansas, osu and Memphis. His numbers were good not great against some poor defenses. No matter how isu fans try to spin it when you replace 3 of top 4 wr will be some production decline with one being best wr in school history nonetheless. Just look at Cj his senior year lost smith, and Krieger-coble then had Injuries to kittles and vandeburg early on. Saw his numbers take a hit missing 3 of top 4 from previous year.

KF may sit on a lead, but not when its 3pts or less. People love to carry on these myths. Ask OSU or Nebraska the last several years if we put the breaks on???????

Because those games are so representative of Kirk's typical game

Voice of Ron Howard narrating: Kempt completed 66% of his passes, threw 15 TDs to 3 INTs, and had a passer rating of 145 (compared to a 135 rating for the QB on the team the team that will easily win next year)

Look at the defenses Iowa played and isu played when kempt was starting. Night and day difference. Iowa 4 vs top 20 defenses & 8 of them in the top 50. Kempt 1 vs top 50. Besides TCU faced 71st osu, 81st OU, 94th kstate, 96th texas Tech, 109th wvu, 118th KU and Memphis ranked 121st which was good for bottom 10 defenses in the nation last year.

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/22

http://www.espn.com/college-football/statistics/team/_/stat/total/position/defense

Last edited:

Will be interesting with the "throw it up to Lazard" play not in the book this season. I'm sure they'll try the same with Butler but he's nowhere near the talent Lazard supposedly was.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
In another thread while back had a list of defenses kempt faced. Only one Which I believe was TCU that was top 50 in the nation last year. In fact he played against some really low ranked defenses last season like Texas tech, Kansas, osu and Memphis. His numbers were good not great against some poor defenses. No matter how isu fans try to spin it when you replace 3 of top 4 wr will be some production decline with one being best wr in school history nonetheless. Just look at Cj his senior year lost smith, and Krieger-coble then had Injuries to kittles and vandeburg early on. Saw his numbers take a hit missing 3 of top 4 from previous year.

Both ISU and Iowa replace 3 of their top 7 receivers by total yardage. Iowa returns 1,531 receiving yards from last year. ISU returns 1,474 receiving yards from last year.

Of course this means only ISU will have production decline.

Both ISU and Iowa replace 3 of their top 7 receivers by total yardage. Iowa returns 1,531 receiving yards from last year. ISU returns 1,474 receiving yards from last year.

What do those look like if you break it down by % of offense?

Doesn’t matter. Iowa by 13. Little bro will hang in there (kinda like you and the other clowns on Iowa’s site) but will fade in the second half. Clowns get 6 wins this year, but Iowa will not be one of them.

Look at the defenses Iowa played and isu played when kempt was starting. Night and day difference. Iowa 4 vs top 20 defenses & 8 of them in the top 50. Kempt 1 vs top 50. Besides TCU faced 71st osu, 81st OU, 94th kstate, 96th texas Tech, 109th wvu, 118th KU and Memphis ranked 121st which was good for bottom 10 defenses in the nation last year.

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/22

http://www.espn.com/college-football/statistics/team/_/stat/total/position/defense

okay, time out. First of all good thread, a lot of rational post. But defenses in the Big 12 are never really going to be high ranked, it is the style of football. It is up tempo, fast past, their is more snaps per game. There is a reason why statistically when Big 12 schools play good defenses in the non conference, all of the sudden that good defense doesn't look so good. That doesn't mean the Big 12 wins the game, it just means that the style of football dictates how many points are scored or how the game is played in most situations. Joe Klatt went into depth on this on one his shows. For example, Baylor against Michigan State a few years back. MSU I believe had a top 10 defense, Baylor shredded them for 3 quarters putting up 41 points(MSU ended up winning on Baylor miscues and making some big plays in the 4rth). Pitt last year had one of the top defenses in the ACC, yet Okie State put up 59 points on them and called off the dogs. Iowa was decent on defense last year, yet gave up 38 in regulation. So I don't think you can take anything from what defenses are ranked when ISU played a team and draw a conclusion from it. If Iowa were to play in the Big 12, and had to go round robin week after week against high octane offenses, they would drop in the defensive standings as well. Doesn't mean they wouldn't win a lot of games, they still could, it just means they wouldn't win games games 17-13.

ADVERTISEMENT