ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa vs ISU Coaching Salaries

mikesright

HR MVP
Jun 7, 2009
Since we hired new assistants, it got me curious about how much the staff gets paid, especially vs Iowa State. The disparity between the programs, in a word is stunning. Most of the information is based on 2016 pay except for the new assistants (and I assume Brian will be paid in the range of Greg Davis and I would guess per the news he'll be handling running backs in 2017).

Head Coach:
Kirk Ferentz 4.8M (Realistically after bonuses around 5.5M or so)
Matt Campbell 1.2M (with bonuses up into the 2 to 2.5M range)

Offensive Coordinator: Iowa 625K, ISU 350K
Defensive Coordinator: Iowa 625K, ISU 454K
Strength and Conditioning: Iowa 625K, ISU 210K
QB Coach: Iowa 540K, ISU 235K
Defensive Line: Iowa 425K, ISU 200K
Linebackers: Iowa 340K, ISU 190K
Offensive Line: Iowa 325K, ISU (handled by OC)
Tight Ends: Iowa 315K, ISU 215K
Running Backs: Iowa (None, duties handled by OC) ISU 300K
Defensive Backs: Iowa (None, duties handled by DC), ISU 200K
Wide Receivers: Iowa 225K, ISU 175K
Recruiting coordinator: Iowa 200K, ISU (handled by TE Coach)
Director of Player Personnel: Iowa (unknown), ISU 125K

Add it all up, not counting support staff, bonuses, etc:

Football Staff:
Iowa: 4.245M
Iowa State: 2.654M

Football staff + Head Coach
Iowa: 9.045M
Iowa State: 3.854M

That is interesting.

Now seeing revenue generated by each team vs. total coaching payout would be interesting. I'll bet it doesn't look that bad at all from that perspective.
a year ago ISU had billboards all over DSM trying to give away 3packs of tix for $99 and clearly still couldn't move them
You're not gonna see 3 packs of iowa tix for 99 and they certainly wouldn't need an advertising campaign to move them lol

Reactions: ih8iast8
Iowa offers a 3 pack also. Yeah they are more then $99. Know many people who love them.

a year ago ISU had billboards all over DSM trying to give away 3packs of tix for $99 and clearly still couldn't move them
You're not gonna see 3 packs of iowa tix for 99 and they certainly wouldn't need an advertising campaign to move them lol

Ripoff. Wait until game time and you can get in to pretty much everything except for the Iowa game for 5 bucks or less

Reactions: InsHAWK
It is a healthy thing to have both the Hawkeyes and
the Cyclones in the state of Iowa. Two major sports
programs in the state force both of them to be competitive.
Friendly rivalries are good for everyone.

Reactions: Foxclone
Since we hired new assistants, it got me curious about how much the staff gets paid, especially vs Iowa State. The disparity between the programs, in a word is stunning. Most of the information is based on 2016 pay except for the new assistants (and I assume Brian will be paid in the range of Greg Davis and I would guess per the news he'll be handling running backs in 2017).

Head Coach:
Kirk Ferentz 4.8M (Realistically after bonuses around 5.5M or so)
Matt Campbell 1.2M (with bonuses up into the 2 to 2.5M range)

Offensive Coordinator: Iowa 625K, ISU 350K
Defensive Coordinator: Iowa 625K, ISU 454K
Strength and Conditioning: Iowa 625K, ISU 210K
QB Coach: Iowa 540K, ISU 235K
Defensive Line: Iowa 425K, ISU 200K
Linebackers: Iowa 340K, ISU 190K
Offensive Line: Iowa 325K, ISU (handled by OC)
Tight Ends: Iowa 315K, ISU 215K
Running Backs: Iowa (None, duties handled by OC) ISU 300K
Defensive Backs: Iowa (None, duties handled by DC), ISU 200K
Wide Receivers: Iowa 225K, ISU 175K
Recruiting coordinator: Iowa 200K, ISU (handled by TE Coach)
Director of Player Personnel: Iowa (unknown), ISU 125K

Add it all up, not counting support staff, bonuses, etc:

Football Staff:
Iowa: 4.245M
Iowa State: 2.654M

Football staff + Head Coach
Iowa: 9.045M
Iowa State: 3.854M
Not sure why this is suprising at all. You certainly can't compare the overall success of the two programs at all can you?
KF has been at Iowa for 18 years, and has had some great years. Campbell is a newcomer, with no track record with his school. A good coach, who cares about his subordinates, will work to raise the pay of his staff as warrented. KF has always tried to be sure he looks out for his staff.
The Iowa football raises somewhere around 100 million dollars a year in revenue, and pays for all the other athletic programs, and then some. I'd be pretty certain that ISU situation is considerably different.
Lastly what was KF and his staff paid when they started at Iowa? I know the money was different back then, but you don't start at the top of the pay scale. I'm sure if KF was the coach at Michigan he be making more then 5 million a year.

That is interesting.

Now seeing revenue generated by each team vs. total coaching payout would be interesting. I'll bet it doesn't look that bad at all from that perspective.

Just providing data. No comment attached...

I'm going to use USA Today's data vs OP's data because I'm dividing that by USA Today's Revenue Data, and might as well keep the source info consistent.

ISU 2016 Salaries: 4.318 mil / ISU 2014-2015 Revenue: 75.284 mil = 5.74%

Iowa 2016 Salaries: 8.11 mil / Iowa 2014-2015 Revenue: 105.97 mil = 7.65%

Links:

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

Reactions: Sumhawk
No, just no. Iowa would be much better off if ISU closed up its athletes department.

Not sure why this is suprising at all. You certainly can't compare the overall success of the two programs at all can you?
KF has been at Iowa for 18 years, and has had some great years. Campbell is a newcomer, with no track record with his school. A good coach, who cares about his subordinates, will work to raise the pay of his staff as warrented. KF has always tried to be sure he looks out for his staff.
The Iowa football raises somewhere around 100 million dollars a year in revenue, and pays for all the other athletic programs, and then some. I'd be pretty certain that ISU situation is considerably different.
Lastly what was KF and his staff paid when they started at Iowa? I know the money was different back then, but you don't start at the top of the pay scale. I'm sure if KF was the coach at Michigan he be making more then 5 million a year.
I think Iowa football lost money last year. Don't bite my head off. Maybe it was the '15 season. There was a story, I think in The Gazette, saying that because of the drop in ticket revenues and the unexpected costs of the Rose Bowl, etc.

I really don't think I made it up.

OK, back again.....The UI athletics department overall finished about $3 million in the red in the 2015 fiscal year, with the shortfall (which was covered by AD reserve funds, not state money) attributed to football, but the story doesn't say the football program, itself, lost money.
http://infoweb.newsbank.com/resourc...k&drefer=news/15C679E478933720&drefertype=mlt

Last edited:
I think Iowa football lost money last year. Don't bite my head off. Maybe it was the '15 season. There was a story, I think in The Gazette, saying that because of the drop in ticket revenues and the unexpected costs of the Rose Bowl, etc.

I really don't think I made it up.

OK, back again.....The UI athletics department overall finished about $3 million in the red in the 2015 fiscal year, with the shortfall (which was covered by AD reserve funds, not state money) attributed to football, but the story doesn't say the football program, itself, lost money.
http://infoweb.newsbank.com/resourc...k&drefer=news/15C679E478933720&drefertype=mlt
Yes there was one year, where Iowa lost money, for a number of reasons spelled out in that article. In it I believe Barta states that he is expecting the program to be back in the black this year, as they usually are. Remember that the football teams revenue basically pays for the rest of the athletic programs, except maybe mens basketball, including paying their own utility and maint. costs. I believe some of the higher ups, and Iowa approached Barta, about starting to divert some extra funds directly to the University.
The initial premise of this discussion still stands. Comparing the two schools pay to their staffs is ridiculous. KF and his staff, (at least the higher paid coaches), have been in their positions for nearly two decades. They have earned a higher wage scale then the coaches at ISU, based off their time at those jobs, and their successes, including top ten finishes, BCS bowls, and conferences championships,(shared or otherwise). Besides being new to ISU, their coaches do not have similar resumes.

Reactions: terrehawk
I have always wondered this too. It would be a similar situation to Nebraska which would be nice.
I mean this with 100% honesty, not attempting to troll (believe me or not) but considering the population disparity, Nebraska with 1.8 million and Iowa with 3.1, while there would obviously be an increase in Iowa's fan base, I'm not sure it would be that significant when comparing the two programs. Granted one state being united definitely helps the matters, but I'd say the state of Iowa definitely leans more toward the Hawkeye side of sports already, so I'm not sure the net gain in fan support would account for as much as you might think.

Then again maybe I'm underselling the idea of a united state in regards to athletics. But it already seems like Hawkeye fans outnumber Cyclone fans 5 to 1.

Sure Iowa lost money last year...on paper. Iowa's spent hundreds of millions of dollars in gold plated facilities for the football and basketball programs. They're about to spend 100 million on the stadium next year. A million or three loss here or there isn't a big deal for a department that was running $15 million plus surpluses for about half a decade and is about to see its media dollars double in the next year.

Meanwhile Iowa State is leasing its basketball practice facility rather than buying. And still ran upwards of $100 million in facilities debt. Per the public 2016 annual report from the universities, Iowa athletics is paying 18% of revenue towards facilities and is paying them off at 5 1/2 times the required debt service needed. Most of Iowa's projects get paid in 10 years or less, like Kinnick's last renovation which got paid off last year. Iowa State has 45% of revenues paying off facilities at 2 1/4 times the required debt service. Most of their projects have timelines of 20-30 years to be paid off.

So as you can see, while Iowa athletics may lose money on paper paying off liabilities early, they aren't exactly in the poorhouse. If necessary Iowa could finance operations/facilities out longer and devote even more money to paying coaches. Iowa State is not that flexible. I would guess they are pretty close to being maxed out unless they can figure out a way to raise football revenue significantly.

Reactions: terrehawk
The initial premise of this discussion still stands. Comparing the two schools pay to their staffs is ridiculous. KF and his staff, (at least the higher paid coaches), have been in their positions for nearly two decades. They have earned a higher wage scale then the coaches at ISU, based off their time at those jobs, and their successes, including top ten finishes, BCS bowls, and conferences championships,(shared or otherwise). Besides being new to ISU, their coaches do not have similar resumes.
No question about any of that.

I mean this with 100% honesty, not attempting to troll (believe me or not) but considering the population disparity, Nebraska with 1.8 million and Iowa with 3.1, while there would obviously be an increase in Iowa's fan base, I'm not sure it would be that significant when comparing the two programs. Granted one state being united definitely helps the matters, but I'd say the state of Iowa definitely leans more toward the Hawkeye side of sports already, so I'm not sure the net gain in fan support would account for as much as you might think.

Then again maybe I'm underselling the idea of a united state in regards to athletics. But it already seems like Hawkeye fans outnumber Cyclone fans 5 to 1.
The latest poll numbers I saw had it about 3-2 overall for the state. It isn't even 5-1 in Eastern Iowa (closer to 3-1). ISU has the edge in Central Iowa. But those polls vary a bit depending upon how the schools are doing.

As to the underlying point, Iowa would certainly have a stronger AD if ISU didn't exist -- and ISU would have a stronger program if Iowa didn't exist. There are very few states with two schools in different power conferences. Off the top of my head I can't think of any, but if I said Iowa was the only one, somebody would call me a liar.:mad:

The latest poll numbers I saw had it about 3-2 overall for the state. It isn't even 5-1 in Eastern Iowa (closer to 3-1). ISU has the edge in Central Iowa. But those polls vary a bit depending upon how the schools are doing.

As to the underlying point, Iowa would certainly have a stronger AD if ISU didn't exist -- and ISU would have a stronger program if Iowa didn't exist. There are very few states with two schools in different power conferences. Off the top of my head I can't think of any, but if I said Iowa was the only one, somebody would call me a liar.:mad:
Texas has two schools in power conferences.

Texas, Florida, South Carolina, Kentucky, Pennsylvania, Georgia, Indiana in basketball

I'll disagree. We don't need ISWho to be "forced" to be competitive - we've got 13 other conference teams that will/can/do that .

Kind of what you would expect when you compare a staff on its second year at a power 5 school to one with guys that have been there 17 years. They have the pull to pay their new guys more as well

Texas, Florida, South Carolina, Kentucky, Pennsylvania, Georgia, Indiana in basketball
Populations(2010):
Texas 25,146,105
Florida 18,804,623
South Carolina 4,625,401
Kentucky 4,339,349
Pennsylvania 12,702,887
Georgia 9,688,681
Indiana 6,484,229

Iowa 3,046,869

TX, FL, PA also have more than just the two schools and aren't comparable at all.

IA still the lowest pop by a decent margin (KY is 42.4% more populous) so we're still unique in terms of population per power 5 school of distinct conference affiliation. So there's that.

Or Wisconsin.... Iowa is plagued by ISU, for now. UNI almost as much.
I think Iowa would be a very different program without ISU or UNI. It would be the biggest show in town and you to factor in the number l of juco kids that come to Iowa as well. Between Nebraska, Wisconsin and Missouri, I don't think any of those states have juco's so that advantage alone would change recruiting.

Consider that minnesota, wisconsin, missouri, and Nebraska all have 1 d1 football program. I have no problem with UNI but ISU should be in their conference, not in a p5 conference.

Consider that minnesota, wisconsin, missouri, and Nebraska all have 1 d1 football program. I have no problem with UNI but ISU should be in their conference, not in a p5 conference.

Plus this plays into non conference scheduling for football. Minus penn st and Pitt Iowa is only other team who has a rival in power 5 conference outside big 10 (not counting teams that use to play ND). Pitt and psu before last year hadn't played in 15 years and believe contract right now is for 4 games but could be wrong.

I never would have guessed a 3-2 ratio. I'm not disputing your numbers I'm just genuinely surprised. I live in western Iowa and know countless Hawkeye fans. Can't think of many clone fans.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT