ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa vs ISU recruiting

Nine of the thirteen Iowa commits had ISU offers.
ZERO of the twelve ISU commits had Iowa offers.

A storm is brewing.
Johnny%20Carson%20I%20did%20not%20know%20that.png

Totally agree and the general obnoxiousness of many ISU fans has me not hoping for them to be good any time soon. I get castigated for saying this here, but I don't think it's really possible for both Iowa and ISU to be good (like 9-10 win season good) at the same time for any amount of time. Just a limited amount of top level players in state and in our region. I know, I'm a bad person for not wishing ISU luck in every game except against Iowa. It doesn't mean I don't respect how Campbell coaches, I do. I just don't want them to be good.

Kudos for using castigated.

Whenever I think of Matt Campbell I think of his first stint down at the ACES coaches clinic down at Des Moines (large gathering of Iowa High School Football Coaches). He did his chat/presentation and was no where to be found (same with his staff). On the other hand, you couldn't go anywhere without seeing/interacting with an Iowa coach. May be a small scale to the average folk...but it goes a long ways in showing how one program embraces the state while the other, at least at first, thought they could be successful without having the state programs/players as their foundation.

I have an uncle who was a Dowling assistant for years. He is biased and an Iowa fan, so take it with a grain of salt, but he attended a lot of camps put on by Ferentz and staff and raved every time about their professionalism and how approachable they were.

Damn, you guys missed the memo... those 2* kids from Florida are wayyyyyyyyyyyy better than any 4* kid from Iowa.

I have an uncle who was a Dowling assistant for years. He is biased and an Iowa fan, so take it with a grain of salt, but he attended a lot of camps put on by Ferentz and staff and raved every time about their professionalism and how approachable they were.

He is spot on. I've been to camps not tied to Iowa and there is not a staff who handles these types of things better. The best one was the one that the staff puts on in Iowa City. I first went to that camp back after the first Orange Bowl appearance. I was a young coach (still in college) and Ferentz came and sat down to me and took time to get to know me first before talking football. My old man has some great stories with him and Norm skipping out early and meeting in the hallways.....two old veteran coaches shooting the shit talking about everything but football.

I didn't go to the ACES camp this year but I got a buddy who did. Young coach just out of college. He sent me a text telling me to guess who he is talking football with while drinking a beer. About 30 minutes later he sends me a pic of Ferentz. He truly understands the people of Iowa.

Isnt there a story from a few years back, around the time Campbell was hired, that some of the ISU staff were actually sitting in on Iowa coaching clinic sessions? The details for me are really foggy but it seemed rather odd.

Stars matter.

There's a reason why OSU, Clemson, LSU and Bama win.
That's nice, but we will never pull a class in like Ohio State is this year. A 5.8 and 5.7 have very little difference. Good work ethic can easily be the difference. Same with a 5.5 vs a 5.4. prolly same with a 6.1 and 6.0. yes I guess it's safe to say a 6.1 has much higher chance to succeed vs a 5.4.

Osu has 11 top 100 players already according to 247. No point even comparing that to most programs....

Last edited:
That's nice, but we will never pull a class in like Ohio State is this year. A 5.8 and 5.7 have very little difference. Good work ethic can easily be the difference. Same with a 5.5 vs a 5.4. prolly same with a 6.1 and 6.0. yes I guess it's safe to say a 6.1 has much higher chance to succeed vs a 5.4.

Osu has 11 top 100 players already according to 247. No point even comparing that to most programs....

So what does this have to do with ISU and hypocrisy?

We always recruit better than them and stars matter.

You're pontificating off topic.

Reactions: Pawkhawk1
So what does this have to do with ISU and hypocrisy?

We always recruit better than them and stars matter.

You're pontificating off topic.
My point is stars aren't everything. If you want to compare us to Ohio State and Alabama that is fine. Even then I'm sure they take three stars they would rather have over four...

Reactions: EpenesaEpenesa
My point is stars aren't everything. If you want to compare us to Ohio State and Alabama that is fine. Even then I'm sure they take three stars they would rather have over four...

Never said we were Alabama.

The point is there is a relationship between recruiting rankings and winning. Sure there are diamonds in the rough but they are the exception not the rule.

Reactions: not_mantiteo
Never said we were Alabama.

The point is there is a relationship between recruiting rankings and winning. Sure there are diamonds in the rough but they are the exception not the rule.
There are also turds that bling. Did you know fsu and mi had top 5 classes in 16 and 17? They sure don't show on the field...fsu much more.

Obviously I would LOVE a top 5 Iowa class....but all I really care to see is us finishing top (or higher :D)

It’s great Iowa is getting better in recruiting and getting higher ranked guys but Iowa’s bread and butter is the three star guy that is still developing. I’d rather look at a player and class ranking post school than pre school to determine just how good some of the players and classes really were based upon their body of work as an individual and team.

Reactions: H4wkfan4life

Zach Twedt mentioned the professionalism of the Iowa staff compared to ISU's. One of the main factors in his flip.

Nine of the thirteen Iowa commits had ISU offers.
ZERO of the twelve ISU commits had Iowa offers.

A storm is brewing.

Can update that now to 10 of 14 of commits had ISU offers.

Has to hurt last 2 being WR since according to clone fans they are a WR school now because of Lazard and Butler.

Reactions: grayhair81
IA17 - what hurts worse for them has to be the fact that the OL who they think will be the next Outland Trophy winner will commit to Iowa in a second if we ever offer. I almost want him to commit to the Clones and then we offer and he flips. Send the ISU trolls into a meltdown.

Reactions: iahawkeyes17
IA17 - what hurts worse for them has to be the fact that the OL who they think will be the next Outland Trophy winner will commit to Iowa in a second if we ever offer. I almost want him to commit to the Clones and then we offer and he flips. Send the ISU trolls into a meltdown.
Which recruit? And yeah of course he would want to go to Iowa. How many linemen have Iowa State put into the NFL vs us?

Not - Tyler Maro from Iowa. I think he is good. Not at the same level of our current OL recruits but still good. Iowa has not offered. He is getting some steam. Nebby, Oregon, UCLA have offered. ISU thinks they have him. Wait to see if Iowa offers what happens. But I think we are waiting on a couple others that the staff is higher on.

Not - Tyler Maro from Iowa. I think he is good. Not at the same level of our current OL recruits but still good. Iowa has not offered. He is getting some steam. Nebby, Oregon, UCLA have offered. ISU thinks they have him. Wait to see if Iowa offers what happens. But I think we are waiting on a couple others that the staff is higher on.
Oh yeah... I remember hearing about him. The issue is that we're pretty much set this year on OL recruits and they're all fantastic. I don't really see Maro fitting in tbh. It does suck to not give an in-state guy a chance, but with all of the other in-state talent as well as the out-of-state guys we picked up, that's kind of how the cookie crumbles.

Not - u r 100 percent correct. I posted the other day, with the way we are exploding and ISU is imploding I wish there wasn’t so much in-state depth this year. Spilt them up over 2 years! Cause there are some studs we simply don’t have room for this year and ISU has a chance at some scraps that in another year wouldn’t consider them if Iowa offered. And Maro is one of those. If we offer he is a Hawk. If not, between Nebby and ISU.

If he grew up a clown, he would have committed. No way a hawk would choose them when they have other options....especially those options!

That's like braska thinking he'll go there lol.

H4 - 100 percent accurate. That’s why I wish the instate recruits which is an all time high of studs were split over 2 years. Nebbie and ISU wouldn’t even be able to get the scraps we didn’t offer. And these are good players so scraps not derogatory, just players we don’t have room for with our current committed studs.

Haha....Brecht wants to play baseball too, I guess being a p5 ath dept thats so pathetic they can't field a baseball squad does matter afterall. I can feel their hatred of us burning from a time zone away:)

I think if Iowa does take anymore OL it would be Myslinski and if so that's it for OL. But I trust KF when offering and not offering OL. Like last year he didn't offer Miller who ISU got and this year Bonifas and Sauser weren't thought highly enough to get one as well. Heck even same thing for their one TE recruit Moore who was ISU's next option behind Llewellyn.

Looking at the guys we got even if we don't get anyone else it's a darn impressive OL group.

IA 17 - I totally agree. What people don’t get is we scouted a group and only have offers to some. And currently Maro is not in the “some.” However, recruiting is fluid and if that changes he will wear black and gold. On that ISU TE, the ISU guy who covers recruiting said if Iowa offers him he is a Hawk. ISU is getting or trying to get who Iowa passed on. Simple. And what a nightmare for ISU as last September when the season started they were ranked, got Gameday, had momentum, talk of winning the Big 12 or playing in the championship game, etc. Fast forward. Lost their Super Bowl, finished unranked at 7-6 in a crap conference, got curb stomped in the Camping World Bowl where their QB quit, and are getting absolutely crushed in recruiting. Yikes. Woof. Lol.

Can update that now to 10 of 14 of commits had ISU offers.

Has to hurt last 2 being WR since according to clone fans they are a WR school now because of Lazard and Butler.
I just looked further into the Iowa vs ISU Draft pick situation because I was curious and bored.

In the last 10 NFL drafts, Iowa has had 36 players picked vs. 6 for ISU. Each has had 1 WR drafted. Before Hakeem Butler, the Cyclones hadn't had a WR drafted since 1985.

After learning this information I don't think ISU should be taking the "If you choose us we'll give you the best chance to play in the NFL" recruiting angle for any prospect. Ever. Sell them on the quality of water in Ames or the free Happy Meal after the games but do not bring up the NFL

That is why schools like O$U have very little down time compared to a school like Iowa. Their recruits come in physically ready whereas a majority of 2* guys need a year or two to physically mature. Those are the guys Iowa has had to bring in and develop.

Over the last 20 or so years, Iowa has usually had their highest classes when the midwest had good classes coming through (under their previous recruiting strategy). Now, over the last 4-5 years that strategy has been revamped and you are seeing the results of that. The core of that recruiting strategy however has remained at the forefront.

Maybe thinking too much about this... but Iowa's success, both on the field and producing pro players, combined with a sensible coach probably makes these kids and more importantly their parents comfortable with choosing the Iowa program during this crisis.

Flashy slogans and snake oil salesmen probably doesn't make families feel as good.
However, how does that explain Minnesota's PJ Fleck with some decent recruiting? He's the biggest "snake oil salesman" around.

If we wanted Maro we would have offered already. Staff is waiting on Myslinski's commitment, and likely would only take Alt after that, although Minnesota is picking up some steam for him.

I’ve had a few chances to talk with coach Ferentz at their coaching clinics as well as coach Morgan at our schools. We’d had a few walk ones and doctors play/work with the program. He always has gone out of his way to help/talk/make us feel welcomed: it’s amazing the sincerity they’ve always displayed.
They treat hs coaches like we are helping them, you just don’t get that will all coaches.

I just looked further into the Iowa vs ISU Draft pick situation because I was curious and bored.

In the last 10 NFL drafts, Iowa has had 36 players picked vs. 6 for ISU. Each has had 1 WR drafted. Before Hakeem Butler, the Cyclones hadn't had a WR drafted since 1985.

After learning this information I don't think ISU should be taking the "If you choose us we'll give you the best chance to play in the NFL" recruiting angle for any prospect. Ever. Sell them on the quality of water in Ames or the free Happy Meal after the games but do not bring up the NFL

Funny thing too is both butler and Lazard were Rhoads recruits. Last I saw too both of their senior wr petteway and Jones hadn’t even been picked up as an UDFA. Even former Iowa b-ball player Wagner got a chance with a team.

Iowa State's recruiting is so bad this year that it makes you question if Campbell is working on his way out and isn't putting the effort in.

Reactions: Pawkhawk1
I think the Hawks need to go ahead and offer Tyler Maro. There is always attrition and injuries that occur with offensive linemen and it would be a shame to pass on a local kid who is as good as he is. Let's get Tyler in this class ! Go Hawks !

ADVERTISEMENT