ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa vs Minnesota article in St Paul paper

I wonder if BF is regretting calling them out. I will say, Fleck brings some energy.

http://www.twincities.com/2017/05/2...ready-changing-regional-recruiting-landscape/

It was really unnecessary of BF to air his grievances in public, I didn't care for the comments when they were first made and my opinion hasn't changed. He has every opportunity to educate recruits and their families on his feelings/opinions towards our peers and competitors, but to do so in public seems unnecessary and insecure. I think BF has enough to worry about with his new job title and improving the offense instead of throwing verbal jabs at our peers.

I don't think he regrets it. I think it was calculated and smart. They are getting the word out there that, hey we may not have offered you yet, but we are very selective with our offers and truly are men of our word. These other guys throw out offers to everybody and are just salesman. The more I get to know about Fleck the less I like him. If this guy were in the business world he would be getting rich off making up some kind of pyramid scheme.

I had never really seen a clear explanation of what Iowa does differently, but my assumption is Iowa does offer fewer players, and yes it is way over the number we can actually accept, but say we have 2 RB slots open for the class and they offer 8 RBs, well first 2 of the 8 to fully commit are in and guaranteed as long as they follow the rules of engagement, and even if one of the other 6 comes back later and says hey sorry it took me so long to pick but I love you guys and want to sign, well too bad you were late. We got our 2 guys and we told you we had 2 slots open and they filled up. Whereas I think some teams would kick one of the first 2 to the curb if one of the other 6 came calling back and they really really wanted that one guy over one of the other two they offered and committed. Otherwise, yes Iowa offers way more schollies than they have open but I think if the guy commits when the spot is still open it is a lock as long as he plays by the rules laid out in the offer.

And maybe Iowa does more homework on a kid prior to offer than say an Iowa State, but again do not know as not personally in the process to observe.

Reactions: hawkosx
I had never really seen a clear explanation of what Iowa does differently, but my assumption is Iowa does offer fewer players, and yes it is way over the number we can actually accept, but say we have 2 RB slots open for the class and they offer 8 RBs, well first 2 of the 8 to fully commit are in and guaranteed as long as they follow the rules of engagement, and even if one of the other 6 comes back later and says hey sorry it took me so long to pick but I love you guys and want to sign, well too bad you were late. We got our 2 guys and we told you we had 2 slots open and they filled up. Whereas I think some teams would kick one of the first 2 to the curb if one of the other 6 came calling back and they really really wanted that one guy over one of the other two they offered and committed. Otherwise, yes Iowa offers way more schollies than they have open but I think if the guy commits when the spot is still open it is a lock as long as he plays by the rules laid out in the offer.

And maybe Iowa does more homework on a kid prior to offer than say an Iowa State, but again do not know as not personally in the process to observe.

So fleck offers 200 and signs 25

Iowa offers 100 and signs 25

Help me understand the problem. Thanks!

“It’s a typical recruiting tactic,” he told the Pioneer Press. “There are zero facts behind that. I don’t understand why we even got (dragged) into that. We have 13 total commitments and … we haven’t said no to anybody.

“Usually it takes about a year for people to start talking about me and us, but it’s already happening.”

I worry a hell of a lot more with Fleck than Campbell. All Campbell does is offer every kid. He flock shoots and maybe will get a bird. Fleck is pretty good. Both will be gone within 3 years if they win. Especially Campbell. Fleck is in the most prominent conference with a name. Campbell is with the worst program in the worst conference. Anyway, Fleck will help all Big 10 teams in my opinion. Like a young Spurrier. Can't wait until Fleck and Harbaugh get into it.

I worry a hell of a lot more with Fleck than Campbell. All Campbell does is offer every kid. He flock shoots and maybe will get a bird. Fleck is pretty good. Both will be gone within 3 years if they win. Especially Campbell. Fleck is in the most prominent conference with a name. Campbell is with the worst program in the worst conference. Anyway, Fleck will help all Big 10 teams in my opinion. Like a young Spurrier. Can't wait until Fleck and Harbaugh get into it.
You are just begging for that to happen. These younger guys do things differently utilizing everything at their disposal and the hawkeye coaching staff doesn't like it because they can't skate. The hawk staff is having to work harder and it is more difficult for them. Keep taking your shots at other conferences but Iowa is in the weakest division of a P5 conference and it is not even close.

Reactions: K OKeefe
Wow clueless. Not taking a shot at all on conferences. Can u read? I raised Minnesota and Iowa St. Unless I missed something they are not in the same conference idiot. I don't have any idea what works for recruiting. What I know is ISU is rated the worst team in all of Power 5 conference teams and obviously would keep dropping lower if they included non-Power 5 schools. What did I see recently from ESPN? ISU is sandwiched between Eastern Michigan and New Mexico for football programs? Yikes. And Campbell will offer everyone. He knows he needs to get to 4-5 wins so he can get his ass out of the worst ream in a crumbling conference. You really make ISU fans look stupid.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
Holy crap, really, its not even close?....do any of you guys ever get tired of grandiose statements. Whatever, its your opinion, not an educated one but certainly one that lets us know where you stand. Often times I wonder why some of you are Iowa fans at all, but honestly the team wouldn't matter, only your character and you'd be the same regardless of the team you followed.

Ok here we go.....1st off I think PJ Fleck is a decent coach and will continue to be, with that said, here are the things I have heard on here by the same guys STILL COMPLAINING after 15 years....

Man...... Mark Mangino, Tim Brewster, Gene Chizik, Fat Charlie, Ron Zook, Paul Rhodes, Brett Bielema, Bryan Kelley, Jerry Kill, etc, etc, etc, etc....are going to kill us, we will never compete....hmmmmmmmm. When do you think these guys will remind themselves they have been wrong EVERY single time...and here we are again.

2nd...I also am in the school that doesn't think it makes sense to rattle cages, but as David said, I get the sense it is a very calculated decision. I think Brian is very, very cagey and purposely tries to get you out of your comfort zone. I doubt he is surprised or worried...

3rd....there are a whole bunch of critics who have whined incessantly that Iowa doesn't act like this enough.

4th...I don't care if Minn signed 10 straight top 15 classes, it doesn't change much for us, we are still going to be who we are. They have had plenty of talent and decent coaching before.

Finally I have ran this recruiting thing down before and what I have found is, Nobody, or excuse me, I mean the critic doesn't care to hear it because then it limits his ability to bitch. Its not a "number" of offers its a "commitment" and a "honoring" commit thing...

So here is what happens, Iowa decides they will take 2 Rbers, they offer, 8, they let everyone know up front, they will take 2, and when they have their 2 only very special circumstances will change that...If you commit yet visit elsewhere you haven't really committed, they are counting on you, they aren't going to pull your offer as long as "you" up hold everything on your end....They aren't going to offer 80-Rbers, they are going to be very selective and very thorough and very professional.

That is NOT what 90% of the staffs do...its cut and dried and easy to understand IF you care too.

Now I'll say this as well, if you liked Hayden, you'd pretty much have to like KF and if you hate KF you'd have to hate Hayden....let that sink in. I've poured over their records and stats and draft picks, etc, etc...remember, Hayden had plenty of stinkers and if the "message" boards had been around back then, we'd have had a mob of people complaining about Sed Shaw playing over Tavian Banks.....people aren't fair or honest with themselves and message boards make it easy for them.

PS....again on the conference thing, not even close just shows how biased and out of touch someone is.

You are just begging for that to happen. These younger guys do things differently utilizing everything at their disposal and the hawkeye coaching staff doesn't like it because they can't skate. The hawk staff is having to work harder and it is more difficult for them. Keep taking your shots at other conferences but Iowa is in the weakest division of a P5 conference and it is not even close.
It varies year to year.
http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...ec-west-sec-east-big-12-ten-division-rankings

I doubt BF regrets saying it, and at least o certainly hope not. It would be nice to get some fire at the top to get the boys motivated.

I doubt BF regrets saying it, and at least o certainly hope not. It would be nice to get some fire at the top to get the boys motivated.
agreed. Who cares what PJ thinks. He is fired up because he knows it's true. He is a classic used car salesman. Tom has said the same thing on here about ISU and Minny. Maybe it means we are going to start playing with an edge.

We have seen the typical excitement from both Minny and ISU when new coaching staffs are hired. The fan base is excited because they hope for improvement. The coaches know they need to somehow instill enthusiasm into two programs that, historically, aren't very good.

We will see in 2-3 years where things stand. Both programs will likely win a game this year where they were underdogs. Isu's challenge is becoming bowl eligible. Minny's challenge will be what it always has been. You are a mid level success team in a pro sports town.

To me, both HCs come across as being fake rah/rah guys.

In the article it pretty much says he puts more value in recruiting than coaching, pretty much puts so much emphasis on recruiting it takes away from coaching....so get them there and ignore them, hope talent trumps development...smh

Yeah cuz Fleck is the first young coach to come in during Ferentz's tenure.

Hawkdroppings in 1999: " Ferentz will be lucky to have coached at Iowa for 3-4 years because these young guys will beat him."

18 years later here we are. Wimpy Texas boy proclaiming the same thing.

BF, Fleck, Campbell, etc. are just the newest generation of coaches. I don't think Kirk is right in there getting dirty; Brian is handling the details now. A clear indicator, to me, is the way the Texas thing went down last year. Kirk gives a lot of trust to coaches to create their own recruiting work space & White/Kennedy weren't trustworthy. BF/LeVar/ Wallace/Polasek/Copeland are now driving the 'young recruiting mantra' now.

It will be interesting to see where this headed in terms of Hawkeye recruiting.

Yeah cuz Fleck is the first young coach to come in during Ferentz's tenure.

Hawkdroppings in 1999: " Ferentz will be lucky to have coached at Iowa for 3-4 years because these young guys will beat him."

18 years later here we are. Wimpy Texas boy proclaiming the same thing.
The young guys are playing the recruiting game much differently than 1999. The hawks have been extremely fortunate to have only 2 coaches over the last 35-40 years. That type of continuity is huge. To keep up, the hawks have to get good young blood on the staff to relate to these young recruits and players. I get amazed at hawk fans that start yelling for Ferentz's head when the program has a rough stretch considering what the alternative could be.

Reactions: cmhawks99
“It’s a typical recruiting tactic,” he told the Pioneer Press. “There are zero facts behind that. I don’t understand why we even got (dragged) into that. We have 13 total commitments and … we haven’t said no to anybody.

“Usually it takes about a year for people to start talking about me and us, but it’s already happening.”
As long as you lose to Iowa, you can say whatever you want. :)

No idea what the problem is, other than if a school accepts a commitment and then later dumps said commitment for a better looking date.

The young guys are playing the recruiting game much differently than 1999. The hawks have been extremely fortunate to have only 2 coaches over the last 35-40 years. That type of continuity is huge. To keep up, the hawks have to get good young blood on the staff to relate to these young recruits and players. I get amazed at hawk fans that start yelling for Ferentz's head when the program has a rough stretch considering what the alternative could be.
So Ferentz has only recruited in 2 years? 1999 & 2017? Lol, I hope he didn't lose his recruiting touch in that 18 year break.

So his reputation precedes him.

Also, nice to see that he has Minny competing with the Dakota schools on the recruiting front. Now if the Gophers could just beat one of us on the actual field they might get somewhere.

So his reputation precedes him.

Also, nice to see that he has Minny competing with the Dakota schools on the recruiting front. Now if the Gophers could just beat one of us on the actual field they might get somewhere.
Fleck is an egotistical clown. :)

LOL...i clicked on the link and i swear their coach is wearing capris pants... what a girl!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT