ADVERTISEMENT

***Iowa vs Northwestern WBB Game***

Can't understate how big that win is. Northwestern is Iowa's boogeyman. To come back from 14 down on the road in the second half to win that game is incredible. I don't care how ugly it was. How terrible Clark was for most of it. She hit the big three when we needed it most.

Now we see how bad Warnock's injury is and move forward.

Can't understate how big that win is. Northwestern is Iowa's boogeyman. To come back from 14 down on the road in the second half to win that game is incredible. I don't care how ugly it was. How terrible Clark was for most of it. She hit the big three when we needed it most.

Now we see how bad Warnock's injury is and move forward.
Warnock's injury is to her non-shooting hand. It was really more of a lack of confidence that got her pulled. She missed some shots but she has to shoot through it. Taiwo was ready and has come on down the stretch. I want to see more Taiwo as she is more athletic. We give up a little shooting and rebounding but Taiwo can penetrate and is a strong defender.

Reactions: UptownHawk
Also shout out to Czinano for a season high 16 rebounds!!!!
Half of them offensive rebounds too! Has Czinano finally figured out how to rebound, or was this because of it's against Northwestern? Northwestern couldn't stop Czinano from scoring in several games, and now they couldn't stop her from rebounding.

This was an exhausting game, hope they have the legs against Ohio State on Monday.

Half of them offensive rebounds too! Has Czinano finally figured out how to rebound, or was this because of it's against Northwestern? Northwestern couldn't stop Czinano from scoring in several games, and now they couldn't stop her from rebounding.

This was an exhausting game, hope they have the legs against Ohio State on Monday.
Sheldon scares the crap out of me. She's almost as good as Clark and OSU has quite a bit of talent around her.

Reactions: undersized_post
Sheldon scares the crap out of me. She's almost as good as Clark and OSU has quite a bit of talent around her.
OSU is almost the exact inverse of Northwestern. Equally backcourt-dominated, but entirely offensively oriented as opposed to defensively oriented. They do like to play a 3/4 court trapping defense to try to force steals to cover up their mediocre half court defense. Now that we got Northwestern, I'm hoping we can avenge the close OSU losses from last year. If we can get out in transition and/or get the ball inside to Monika (who will have the advantage in the matchup with Mikulasikova), I like our chances.

Radio announcer said Warnock had a cast on her left hand,

I believe she had her 3rd and 4th fingers buddy taped and/or splinted, and then even more tape wrapped around her pointer, middle, ring fingers and pinky. It was so much athletic tape it looked like she was wearing a mitten.

One last thought -- sorry I'm on a post-comeback high lolol.

Everyone will remember Clark's three at the end of OT. But we can't forget Kate's three in the last few minutes of regulation! They left her open and she stepped up and knocked it down with zero reservations. I think it tied the game up or put us up by 3?? I felt like that was a huge shift in confidence for the whole team, and animated our defense for the next few possessions.

Everyone will remember Clark's three at the end of OT. But we can't forget Kate's three in the last few minutes of regulation! They left her open and she stepped up and knocked it down with zero reservations. I think it tied the game up or put us up by 3?? I felt like that was a huge shift in confidence for the whole team, and animated our defense for the next few possessions.
This team is just further proving that they can find ways in to win in a variety of ways! Love to see players like Kate make big shots like that

Kate’s 3 was huge. It was to take a 3 point lead.

Based on what I saw on BTN live, that clock operator needs to be reprimanded. No one motioning for timeout. No one even close to the ball handler to commit a foul. Clock was already runnning for a second or two after the rebound before it just stopped.

I might just have my cynical hat on, but it seemed like pretty blatant cheating.

Based on what I saw on BTN live, that clock operator needs to be reprimanded. No one motioning for timeout. No one even close to the ball handler to commit a foul. Clock was already runnning for a second or two after the rebound before it just stopped.

I might just have my cynical hat on, but it seemed like pretty blatant cheating.
If you listen closely, you can also hear that one of the officiating crew faintly blew on their whistle, which caused a lot of the Iowa players to pause and look up. This is why no one was back for transition D.

If you listen closely, you can also hear that one of the officiating crew faintly blew on their whistle, which caused a lot of the Iowa players to pause and look up. This is why no one was back for transition D.
Maybe the guy heard the faint whistle, or the official starting to motion for a TO. Whether it was intentional or not, it did Iowa a favor!

In hindsight, we're lucky it was so clear the shot didn't get off. If it was actually close, I'm not sure what they would've done. I don't know how you can award a basket when some of the defenders stop because a whistle was actually blown.

Listening to McKeown's postgame presser, he is understandably upset/disappointed that things unfolded the way they did at the end of regulation. But I respect how he handled the question -- AKA, refraining from commenting really. This segment begins around 2:55.

I also have mad respect for Burton. They way she talks and carries herself, she just seems like a very good person. I really hope she can manage to stick on a WNBA roster. She talks around 10:00.

Listening to McKeown's postgame presser, he is understandably upset/disappointed that things unfolded the way they did at the end of regulation. But I respect how he handled the question -- AKA, refraining from commenting really. This segment begins around 2:55.

I also have mad respect for Burton. They way she talks and carries herself, she just seems like a very good person. I really hope she can manage to stick on a WNBA roster. She talks around 10:00.
I really don't undersand why they would be disappointed at the end of regulation. It was fairly obvious. they rebounded the ball and the clock stopped at 3.9 sec, from there it took around 6 seconds for them to get the shot off. They were not even remotly close to getting the shot off in the 3.9 seconds they had.

Now you might be able to argue that if they could have seen the clock running out, they might have put up a half court shot, but that's about it.

I really don't undersand why they would be disappointed at the end of regulation. It was fairly obvious. they rebounded the ball and the clock stopped at 3.9 sec, from there it took around 6 seconds for them to get the shot off. They were not even remotly close to getting the shot off in the 3.9 seconds they had.

Now you might be able to argue that if they could have seen the clock running out, they might have put up a half court shot, but that's about it.
Even though you can rationalize to yourself that the rule was applied fairly, it's totally reasonable to also feel disappointment. Imagine going from the emotional high of thinking your team just made a game winning buzzer beater to being told there was an administrative error and the game is going to overtime. That's a lot to emotionally process in a short amount of time, even if it makes logical sense.

I agree that the odds of a half court shot like that going in are like 1 in 100. But still, as a coach, you want every opportunity for you team. If you felt like you had been unfairly denied even a 1% chance to win the game, it would be frustrating and disappointing. In the moment, he didn't linger in it and rightfully encouraged his team to keep playing hard. But when all is said and done and you're thinking back processing the game, it's natural to feel those emotions.

Reactions: BraydonRoberts5
Northwestern, coach or players on the floor, screwed it up to start with by not calling a TO with 5 seconds to go, period.

On the other hand, I dislike the under 1 minute TOs to advance the ball to forecourt, mainly because it makes the game go on and on. Iowa was up 6 and Caitlin had the RB and would have been fouled and Iowa called a TO. I believe on the next RB by Iowa, Lisa called a TO and then they threw it away inbounding and NW hit a three. Just my opinion.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT