ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa vs PSU on Gameday

HerknKirk

Team MVP
Gold Member
Feb 5, 2020
It's a pipe dream, but it's possible. I've called the past 2 CGD trips to Ames and got ridiculed for the thought so have at it. Immediate rooting interest is with Florida/New Mexico/Arkansas. Realistically we need Iowa and Penn State to win a their games and Texas A&M to lose to either New Mexico or Arkansas. Alabama losing to Florida is a definite plus but unlikely. Fox Big noon kickoff is a threat for an 11am kick but they have the Red River Showdown as a consolation in week 6 if Gameday chooses Iowa City. It's a stretch, but it's on the table.

I’ve been thinking of this scenario as well. Even with the Bama/A&M matchup that weekend an undefeated Iowa vs PSU may be a more attractive game. Lot of time between now and then, but Texas A&M looked pretty average against Colorado for being ranked in the top 10. I’m biased, but Iowa vs PSU would likely be a better quality matchup based on the eye test. Iowa also has the wave, producers/writers for game day would probably drool over the sappy Kirk Ferentz pieces and feel good stories they could write. Lot of ifs and games to be played between now and then, but I think the chances of game day coming to Iowa city are pretty good.

Reactions: HerknKirk
I think ESPN goes with Bama against another top ten team. That just seems too obvious.
That's where the rooting interest against A&M gets interesting. I'm not impressed with them so far, and does a potential week 4 loss to Arkansas push the hype to IC? A lot of pieces need to fall into place, but given A&M's performance against Colorado I'm not willing to throw in the towel just yet. On the good guys' side, the offense needs to hold their own to make any of this hype worth while.

Next week will be the test case. Only big matchups are ND-Wisconsin at Noon on Fox or Texas A&M at Arkansas on CBS

With Iowa and Penn State already getting GameDay early this season, I doubt they GameDay will come to IC even if both teams are undefeated.

My guess is that they will go to one of the other big games.

I’ve been thinking of this scenario as well. Even with the Bama/A&M matchup that weekend an undefeated Iowa vs PSU may be a more attractive game. Lot of time between now and then, but Texas A&M looked pretty average against Colorado for being ranked in the top 10. I’m biased, but Iowa vs PSU would likely be a better quality matchup based on the eye test. Iowa also has the wave, producers/writers for game day would probably drool over the sappy Kirk Ferentz pieces and feel good stories they could write. Lot of ifs and games to be played between now and then, but I think the chances of game day coming to Iowa city are pretty good.
An undefeated Iowa/PSU will likely be a top 5 matchup. Somebody will make the trip to Iowa City for that game.

Reactions: oldnewkirk.0
Gameday is nice, but do we really want it in Iowa City? I see both positives and negatives for it.
Definitely pros and cons. From a football preparation standpoint, it’s gotta be a little bit of a distraction to have added film crews around doing additional interviews. However, I love the additional national exposure it brings to the school and program. On the recruiting front I don’t think it ever hurts to be in the spotlight either.
End of the day I don’t really care if they come or go, but if game day is looking for the best matchup, seems Iowa PSU may have the edge. Lots of factors to consider, but time will tell.

Really really hoping they push it to the evening slot at least. I’ll concede that GameDay is not coming, but if Arkansas beats Texas A&M I think we can all agree that this is THE game of the weekend regardless of our bias.

Really really hoping they push it to the evening slot at least. I’ll concede that GameDay is not coming, but if Arkansas beats Texas A&M I think we can all agree that this is THE game of the weekend regardless of our bias.
That's my take as well. A&M is already trending down and a loss to Arkansas makes the Alabama game look like a blowout. Cheering for the Razorbacks is honestly kind of fun.

Be nice if the athletic department would do something special for this game similar to the "white out" games at PSU complete with pom poms.

Not shocking in the least. Posted previously … FOX likes to start its Saturday with the game that will attract the most eyeballs. Iowa/PSU will be the “anchor” game.

The only remaining question would seem to be whether FOX wants Iowa/PSU to bat leadoff.
I don’t think they’d want to go up against Texas/OU with that time slot. It’s probably gonna be like Wisconsin 2019 and be a night game. Hopefully.

I hope you murder PSU players on the field. I hope you leave a trail of dead bodies.
fps

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT