ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa vs Wisconsin, B10 West, and rest of conference

May 17, 2021
Looking back over the last 15 years, the last two recruiting classes are the first time that Iowa has recruited at least on par with Wisconsin, ahead of Nebraska and everyone else in the west, and within striking distance (on paper) of all but OSU in the East. And we already know that we can beat Ohio State on the field, even in one of our down years. Or Michigan. Or PSU. No matter where they are ranked.

Iowa has always been competitive on the field with everyone in the conference, meaning they can and have beaten anyone, anytime, whether a mediocre or a great season. Yes, sometimes opponents can exploit a major weakness, like offensive line and quarterback exploited by Michigan this year, but Kirks record versus Michigan is seven and seven over the last 20 years, which says a lot.

Iowas consistency has suffered from inconsistency in depth and talent. They just haven’t had the electrifying talent and playmakers in every position group to get over the hump and become a playoff team.

2021 and 2022 solved that. And 23 and 24 are sure to build on it.

what is so special about the last two recruiting classes, as well as what shaping up to be quite possibly the best recruiting class ever in 2023 (if you really listen to what several of the high four-star and five star 2023 recruits have been saying about joining the family), is that the top guys at Iowa are at least as or more talented than anyone on Alabama’s or OSU’s or Georgia’s roster, but also that they are high character, team focused, and committing to win championships here, “to win it all” as Xavier said. But they don’t feel entitled to championships, as do the Buckeyes, which make them vulnerable, as we saw in the OSU/Michigan game.

Iowa wants it more.

I loved watching recruits over the last couple weeks leave hats like Michigan and Ohio state and Notre Dame on the table and pick Iowa. We’ve won a number of recruiting battles this year against the very best teams in the country, and there is huge momentum building for next year and 2024, which is truly awesome.

The upshot? The tide has turned for Wisconsin, and Nebraska is nothing to fear anymore ever.

There is a new leader in the west, and it’s Iowa.

And I expect Iowa to win a few B10W championships and at least one big 10 championship in the next five years, and have a legit shot at a natty.

not just wishful thinking. A real gut feeling. And Evilmonkey told me he feels it in his plums too.

Seriously though, this class is better than 2005 because we have a legit QB, three of them actually, not fools gold promoted by his daddy (Christiansen).

what we are witnessing is something truly special. Iowa has moved past the issues that face last summer and the year before, and the team has come together as a family, and they are committed to winning championships and doing it the right way. Which is as exciting as it is beautiful.

Last edited:
Looking back over the last 15 years, the last two recruiting classes are the first time that Iowa has recruited at least on par with Wisconsin, I had of Nebraska and everyone else in the west, and within striking distance of all but OSU in the East.

Iowa has always been competitive on the field with everyone in the conference, meaning they can and have beaten anyone, anytime, whether a mediocre or a great season. Yes, sometimes opponents can exploit a major weakness, like offensive line and quarterback exploited by Michigan this year, but Kirks record versus Michigan is seven and seven over the last 20 years, which says a lot.

Iowas consistency has suffered from inconsistency in depth and talent. They just haven’t had the electrifying talent and playmakers in every position group to get over the hump and become a playoff team.

2021 and 2022 solved that. And 23 and 24 are sure to build on it.

what is so special about the last two recruiting classes, as well as what shaping up to be quite possibly the best recruiting class ever in 2023 (if you really listen to what several of the high four-star and five star 2023 recruits have been saying about joining the family), is that the top guys at Iowa are at least as or more talented than anyone on Alabama’s or OSU’s or Georgia’s roster, but also that they are high character, team focused, and committing to win championships here, “to win it all” as Xavier said. But they don’t feel entitled to championships, as do the Buckeyes, which make them vulnerable, as we saw in the OSU/Michigan game.

Iowa wants it more.

I loved watching recruits over the last couple weeks leave hats like Michigan and Ohio state and Notre Dame on the table and pick Iowa. We’ve won a number of recruiting battles this year against the very best teams in the country, and there is huge momentum building for next year and 2024, which is truly awesome.

The tide has turned for Wisconsin, and Nebraska is nothing to fear anymore ever.

There is a new leader in the west, and it’s Iowa.

And I expect Iowa to win a few B10W championships and at least one big 10 championship in the next five years, and have a legit shot at a natty.

not just wishful thinking. A real gut feeling. And Evilmonkey told me he feels it in his plums too.

Seriously though, this class is better than 2005 because we have a legit QB, three of them actually, not fools gold promoted by his daddy (Christiansen).

what we are witnessing is something truly special. Iowa has moved past the issues that face last summer and the year before, and the team has come together as a family, and they are committed to winning championships and doing it the right way. Which is as exciting as it is beautiful.
I mostly agree, but a CFP birth is my top goal, natty is a dream. Also, this is by far KFs best class all things considered...the talent is where weve been missing...rb/db/qb...not oline and TE, which is why this is his best yet.

Half the battle anymore is keeping the talent here especially with the portal. For years since they’ve joined the conference we were annually bombarded every winter by husker fans how they won the off season with all their recruiting classes. which is hilarious how bad they did this year even with a smaller class think most recruits know frost is a dead man walking. But with frost and Riley 2 years after a class came in half those guys were gone including many of their highly rated guys.

• Haha
Reactions: HawgMaw69
I mostly agree, but a CFP birth is my top goal, natty is a dream. Also, this is by far KFs best class all things considered...the talent is where weve been missing...rb/db/qb...not oline and TE, which is why this is his best yet.
It’s OK if it’s your dream, as long as it’s an actual goal for the players, which it truly is. And they are public about it. I love that.

Love the OP. However, we're few years away from being able to claim Wisconsin has turned a corner. Even though Iowa won the west this year, you don't take the crown away from Wisconsin after one season... especially a season where they thoroughly undressed the evetual division champ.

giphy.gif

ZR2qBq.gif

Love the OP. However, we're few years away from being able to claim Wisconsin has turned a corner. Even though Iowa won the west this year, you don't take the crown away from Wisconsin after one season... especially a season where they thoroughly undressed the evetual division champ.
I’m not talking about game scores. Iowa beat Wisconsin handily last year, and it was vice versa this year. I’m talking about outlook.

Although it’s arguable, If you look closely at Wisconsin versus Iowa recruiting for the last two years, at worse they are neck and neck, but dig deeper and Iowa really does seem to come out on top.

That was impossible to say for the last 15 years though. wisky was always ahead on paper. Even more emphatically looking at Nebraska, who got tons of talent and squandered it almost always. Iowa is clearly out recruiting them now.

Whatever talent gap has kept Iowa back, we have turned the corner and that must really concern badger and husker fans, and everyone else in the West.

Obviously the Big Ten will always be a dogfight, but now Iowa really does have the across-the-board talent to compete with and defeat anyone and do it consistently enough to be a perennial top 10 team for the next five years.

there is a reason Iowa‘s football program is also consistently valued ahead of Nebraska’s and Wisconsin’s, and fifth in the entire conference. The Hawkeyes are restoring the order. I expect that value to grow and Iowa to surpass MSU too, and close the value gap with PSU, Even though they are much larger institutions with MUCH bigger alumni bases.

(Iowa has 33k students. Wisky has 44k. MSU has over 50k. PSU has almost 100k. Iowa and Penn State are virtually tied in terms of revenue. Get your heads around that fact. All the more impressive that Iowas football program is valued as highly as it is, because Iowa obviously has many fans who didn’t even go to the University. The Hawkeyes are among the biggest brands in the country. Lots of goodwill towards the Hawkeyes around the country. So much potential for growth.)

I’m not talking about game scores. Iowa beat Wisconsin handily last year, and it was vice versa this year. I’m talking about outlook.

Although it’s arguable, If you look closely at Wisconsin versus Iowa recruiting for the last two years, at worse they are neck and neck, but dig deeper and Iowa really does seem to come out on top.

That was impossible to say for the last 15 years though. wisky was always ahead on paper. Even more emphatically looking at Nebraska, who got tons of talent and squandered it almost always. Iowa is clearly out recruiting them now.

Whatever talent gap has kept Iowa back, we have turned the corner and that must really concern badger and husker fans, and everyone else in the West.

Obviously the Big Ten will always be a dogfight, but now Iowa really does have the across-the-board talent to compete with and defeat anyone and do it consistently enough to be a perennial top 10 team for the next five years.

there is a reason Iowa‘s football program is also consistently valued ahead of Nebraska’s and Wisconsin’s, and fifth in the entire conference. The Hawkeyes are restoring the order. I expect that value to grow and Iowa to surpass MSU too, and close the value gap with PSU, Even though they are much larger institutions with MUCH bigger alumni bases.

(Iowa has 33k students. Wisky has 44k. MSU has over 50k. PSU has almost 100k. Iowa and Penn State are virtually tied in terms of revenue. Get your heads around that fact. All the more impressive that Iowas football program is valued as highly as it is, because Iowa obviously has many fans who didn’t even go to the University. The Hawkeyes are among the biggest brands in the country. Lots of goodwill towards the Hawkeyes around the country. So much potential for growth.)
Whoa. Love the enthusiasm but if you think Iowa will be a perennial Top 10 team for the next 5 years, you are likely headed for disappointment. Yes, Iowa's recent class is nice, 1 5-star, 4 4-stars. Dwarfed by the classes OSU and Michigan are bringing in. OSU with 2 5-stars, 14 4-stars; Michigan with 1 and 9, PSU with 1 and 15. Basically you are saying the current 10-win, west division winning season would be a disappointment in your perennial top 10 scenario.

The program has been headed in a very good trajectory over the past 6 years. Overall quality of recruits Iowa is getting is better, and it shows on the field. Iowa still needs things to break its way to have a Top 10-ish season. Have to solve the passing game issue on offense. Period. Get that figured out and could see improved success.

I love the talent we are getting. But the B1G is won across the front. Our OL and DL are both a bit suspect in my eyes. Our OL is far from CFP material even if much of the rest of the team is close.

I love the talent we are getting. But the B1G is won across the front. Our OL and DL are both a bit suspect in my eyes. Our OL is far from CFP material even if much of the rest of the team is close.
You can't just Blame the line.
I doubt any of our receivers start for Bama and certainly not osu. There is great young talent, but today...no.
Qb....wouldn't even be wanted as a walk on probably. Rb...not even close.

There's a pretty big gap still between us and the elites! They can afford early nfl departures and transfers, we still can't.

I like our last 2 classes though!!

• Haha
Not to rain on the parade but while Wisconsin does seem to be a bit on the decline with that mushmouth Paul Chryst, they’re still winning plenty of recruiting battles for difference makers up front. Its not the Xavier Nwankpas that we need to beat them, its the Carson Hinzmans.

You can't just Blame the line.
I doubt any of our receivers start for Bama and certainly not osu. There is great young talent, but today...no.
Qb....wouldn't even be wanted as a walk on probably. Rb...not even close.

There's a pretty big gap still between us and the elites! They can afford early nfl departures and transfers, we still can't.

I like our last 2 classes though!!
Oh I know. I'm just saying, without a good Offensive line, an Offense can not function properly, especially in the B1G.

• Haha

Iowa is definitely America’s team.

Anybody who has traveled knows that all 50 states love the Hawkeyes as their first or 2nd favorite team.

Well, The CFP is about 7 years old now, so you can scratch that one off your list.

• Haha
2 Really good recruiting classes. A strong stable of guys coming back with experience. Coming off a 10-3 campaign (yes, I know it was a sushi dinner....good but was still hungry afterwards). Things to feel good about.
What I am hoping to see from here is a bowl performance where the coaching staff realizes some things need to be changed up a bit, especially on the offensive side of the ball. If the shoe fits, add a few guys from the portal and beef up our lines. A wide open QB competition for 2022. Best guy needs to separate and be on the field.
Keep this baby moving north which I believe it is and be back in Indy next December with a shot (a better one) at the BTC.

• Haha
Whoa. Love the enthusiasm but if you think Iowa will be a perennial Top 10 team for the next 5 years, you are likely headed for disappointment. Yes, Iowa's recent class is nice, 1 5-star, 4 4-stars. Dwarfed by the classes OSU and Michigan are bringing in. OSU with 2 5-stars, 14 4-stars; Michigan with 1 and 9, PSU with 1 and 15. Basically you are saying the current 10-win, west division winning season would be a disappointment in your perennial top 10 scenario.

The program has been headed in a very good trajectory over the past 6 years. Overall quality of recruits Iowa is getting is better, and it shows on the field. Iowa still needs things to break its way to have a Top 10-ish season. Have to solve the passing game issue on offense. Period. Get that figured out and could see improved success.
Passing and Running on offense. The running game has been nothing to hang your hat on for quite some time. Stats don’t lie.

The OL and the DL were the weakest they've been in years ... largely due to transitions ... not due to (lack of) talent.

All the same, the Hawks won the B1G west for the first time since 2015 ... will win no fewer than 10 games this year ... and BOTH lines are slated to continue to improve through the coming years.

The Hawks will soon "return" to the mode in which they're "built" to operate.

Looking at the OL and comparing it to past precedent ... the OL play was similarly abysmal in 2004 and 2007 ... and yet the following years the play was much better. Similarly, in 2012, another "down year" ... the OL play was better the following season. Thus, seeing turn-arounds in play from one year to the next is not an uncommon thing ... however, nor is it guaranteed either. The guys need to make a concerted effort to make it happen ... and I trust that they will.

• Haha
Reactions: cheddarwurst69
If the line improves, substantially, we have proven talent at almost every other position.

Myslinski and the 4*s Colby, Stephens and Davidikov, and some of the guys from the season's RS FR class make major strides Iowa could see a substantial offensive improvement. Best receivers since DJK and Mad Dog Marvin and an outstanding NFL caliber TE.

The problem then becomes the QB. I'm saying loud, Joe Labas will be the 2022 starter.

• Haha
Better to be viewed as having a good signing day than a disappointing one.
Now we get to see what happens between this and opening game next fall. Which, if any, of these guys will have an impact in '22? There's the one obvious choice. Any others?

Careful don't talk about avoiding the best teams...you'll be labeled a troll :)

It would be trolling to say Iowa was avoiding the best teams. This gives the indication that it was Iowa’s choice to not play OSU, Michigan or MSU this year. I am not aware of Iowa being able to schedule their B10 games.

Also, you never know until the season is over who the top teams were for that year, outside of OSU. Coming into this season, PSU and Indiana were ranked higher than Michigan and MSU.

• Haha
The tide has turned for Iowa over Wisconsin? Couldve fooled me in Madison a few months back
This thread is interesting. Why comment on this one? That Wisconsin game was an outlier even for our putrid offense. Fumbles at own 1,8, and 15 distort everything from that day.

It would be trolling to say Iowa was avoiding the best teams. This gives the indication that it was Iowa’s choice to not play OSU, Michigan or MSU this year. I am not aware of Iowa being able to schedule their B10 games.

Also, you never know until the season is over who the top teams were for that year, outside of OSU. Coming into this season, PSU and Indiana were ranked higher than Michigan and MSU.
MSU would have been in the mix in the west, just as they were in the east. They would not have gotten through Iowa, Wisc, Minny unscathed. Barely past Nebraska…not sure who their other crossovers were

Last edited:

How does Iowa really seem to come out on top over the last two classes? Not saying you’re wrong, but l am curious about the reasoning behind i

I imagine few opposing fans are “concerned” about Iowa as long as the offense is led by a Ferentz. I imagine many would say the same about Wisconsin and a Chryst-led offense.

I think the future of the West will be determined by which team finds a way to become more consistent and explosive on offense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT