ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Wesleyan to add men’s and women’s wrestling

Not a bad idea for a small financially struggling college to try and increase enrollment and generate more revenue. It's in my backyard so I'll definitely check it out if they get it up and going.

Reactions: grapplefann
One of the higher ups at the school came from Campellsville, and before that was at upper iowa when they went to D2.
According to my daughter, who goes there, they were looking at either wrestling or tennis. And decided on wrestling..
I know there is word out on a possible partnership with another college to help stem the money issues..
If it can attract 20 kids, who would goes elsewhere to wrestle, at $34,000 a piece, that is $600,000 per year. I know there are costs associated with that, but I find it hard to believe it would equal that amount.

Illinois Wesleyan added Lacrosse for that exact reason. They wanted to attract more kids and they felt that Lacrosse was a sport for people who had decent incomes. They said it was as success for the first couple years. I have not heard anything about it since. Makes sense to me.

I would like to see some other Iowa colleges add wrestling. How about Mt. Mercy in NAIA and WCWA? Or NE Iowa CC and Kirkwood in NJCAA? We need more opportunities for young men and women in Iowa to wrestle in college.

Reactions: MSeil and crablegs1
Not sure I’ve seen it in other posts, but Grandview is starting a women’s team. They hired a separate coach and will take over the “old” room. From hearing them talk, it seems most programs that have both share facilities and coaches.

Reactions: natchrlman
I would like to see some other Iowa colleges add wrestling. How about Mt. Mercy in NAIA and WCWA? Or NE Iowa CC and Kirkwood in NJCAA? We need more opportunities for young men and women in Iowa to wrestle in college.

Mt. Mercy recently invested a lot of money in an outstanding new outdoor sports complex, leaving little for the expansion that would be needed to add wrestling. The former AD had it in his 5-year plan to add the sport, but was then replaced by one with less enthusiasm for the sport. Kirkwood has said in the recent past that they would never again have a wrestling team.

The AD at my alma mater, St Ambrose, has told me repeatedly that they, too, will not reinstate wrestling. They do, however, have an Esports team.

Reactions: MSeil
Mt. Mercy recently invested a lot of money in an outstanding new outdoor sports complex, leaving little for the expansion that would be needed to add wrestling. The former AD had it in his 5-year plan to add the sport, but was then replaced by one with less enthusiasm for the sport. Kirkwood has said in the recent past that they would never again have a wrestling team.

The AD at my alma mater, St Ambrose, has told me repeatedly that they, too, will not reinstate wrestling. They do, however, have an Esports team.

Lost opportunity for Mt Mercy.
Esports? Ahem.
I guess I have to ask how that can come under the "Athletic" Director. Doesn't athletics generally require physical exertion of large muscle groups?
Okay what are my chances a scholarship in Fortnight? Maybe I could also "ride the pine" in Starcraft.

Kirkwood has a new President that came from an Illinois CC that had Wrestling. I wouldn’t say never.

Reactions: grapplefann
I believe Upper Iowa added E-sports team this year. More and more colleges will be adding e-sports this coming decade. Probably should’ve been their play for increasing enrollment vs wrestling.

Bump, because this is one of the few threads that the trolls haven't taken over to tell us what to think.

Reactions: wasdt21
E-sports have sick revenue and every school should have a squad... if there were a fortnite NCAA title, millions would watch (for reference, the World Cup trials for fortnite draw in about 650k viewers a week, and that’s just trials)

League of Legenda is actually something you can bet on in DraftKings. Esports is huge if unconventional.

Reactions: Jaybird319
E-sports are not sports, anymore than poker or backgammon are sports. I have no problem with these, but they are different from sports.

E-sports are not sports, anymore than poker or backgammon are sports. I have no problem with these, but they are different from sports.

Conceptually I don’t disagree. Just think of the money though that is brought in. Some call it a sport, some don’t. Agree with the people who call it a sport so more money comes into athletic departments. :)

While I’ll agree with you to a point, sports vs games. I’ll throw golf, bowling, and rifle out as NCAA sponsored “sports”.

FWIW, Equestrian might be soon added to women’s sports.

Remember U of Iowa willingness to commit $10 million for a new clubhouse at Finkbine golf course. It’s kind of what got the ball rolling for a new wrestling facility.

Sport vs game. It’s about perceived and actual valued added content these days

While I’ll agree with you to a point, sports vs games. I’ll throw golf, bowling, and rifle out as NCAA sponsored “sports”.

Golf isn't a sport? Ok?

I can see your point. But a computer sport? Please . . .

Remember U of Iowa willingness to commit $10 million for a new clubhouse at Finkbine golf course. It’s kind of what got the ball rolling for a new wrestling facility.

Sport vs game. It’s about perceived and actual valued added content these days
And corruption and conspicuous consumption. My feeling is the the ancient Greeks had the right idea about sports.

Is it in your opinion? Is there anything physical taxing about golf? Skill base yes, sport it is not. Golf is more aligned with cornhole then fencing

Spoken like someone who doesn't play. Go play 18 on a decent course and let me know how you feel after, or the next day. Walking of course, because competitive golfers don't ride carts. Make it a nice, hot day for good measure. We will see what your opinion is then.

Spoken like someone who doesn't play. Go play 18 on a decent course and let me know how you feel after, or the next day. Walking of course, because competitive golfers don't ride carts. Make it a nice, hot day for good measure. We will see what your opinion is then.

I’ve been playing over 30 years. In fact just got done playing at Amana less then hour ago. So what’s your point? I’ll take 3-4 hours of golf vs 3-4 hrs of fencing any day of the week.

And to your next question I’ve also shot trap for a number of years. Skill base vs sport.

I do fall short on cornhole as I only play during the sept and oct ;)

I’ve been playing over 30 years. In fact just got done playing at Amana less then hour ago. So what’s your point? I’ll take 3-4 hours of golf vs 3-4 hrs of fencing any day of the week.

So you've been playing for 30 years and you don't feel physically taxed afterwards.

No one believes that.

Reactions: BanjoSaysWoof
I would say your swinging entirely to hard if your sore after golf. If taking 80-100 shots leave you feeling drained physically, might I suggest a walking program.

I would say your swinging entirely to hard if your sore after golf. If taking 80-100 shots leave you feeling drained physically, might I suggest a walking program.

No one believes that you're fresh after that many shots and walking several miles for 4ish hours in the heat. No. One.

No one believes that you're fresh after that many shots and walking several miles for 4ish hours in the heat. No. One.

So it’s the walking and weather part that your having trouble with not that “sport” part. Those shots include 25-35 putts at minimum. I’m done w this idiotically bantering about golf.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT