ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa will be allowed to pay athletes up to $5,980 for good grades

Not looking for a divisive argument, but it would be constructive to know how you got yourself in a position where you owe $55k in student loans. Some of us on this board are capable of listening with the intent of understanding. I want to understand, because my initial reaction is one of "how did you get yourself in this situation?" Maybe I am desensitized to the matter.

I never had student loan debt. I never took out student loans. I was an average student in High School. My parents did not pay for any of my college. I went to a small private college in Iowa. I received a nominal academic scholarship that covered about 1/4 of my tuition. I graduated in 4 years with no debt whatsoever. It is hard for me to understand why student loans exist and why anyone would even take out a student loan.

Help me understand.
How do you pay for college if 1. your parents aren't paying for it, 2. you are not taking out loans to pay for tuition, book, room and board 3. Not working 3 jobs while in school to not have debt. 4. didn't join the military to cover tuition and books?

Curious how you went through a private school (that yes, you can reduce the tuition to that of a state university) that will cost anywhere from 16k - 32k \yr.

no, but spending this kind of money by the school--not nil money--is an avenue that not every school will or can follow. elite players will always follow the money--been that way for 70 years at least.
This is why I thought the new Nebby QB quote as saying 17-18 guys got cars at Nebby was pretty funny--I would say more players than that were receiving more than cars in the 60-70-80-90's.
They don't care who the cash comes from. It'll do nothing to help. It'll mainly pay the ones that don't deserve extra money.

Any student who comes out of college with $30k of student loan debt must have believed it was a worthwhile investment in their future earnings
Yeah, i'll say most students don't have that mindset. Most (if you watch the news) want their debt forgiven as they can't believe the sheer amount they owe after spending 6yrs getting a 4yr degree. Curious as the amount below from the CoC states that the average student owes 37k when graduated - how much do athletes owe that were on scholarship?

Student debt is an enormous burden; not just for young Americans, but the American economy as whole. It has surpassed both auto loan and credit card debt to become the second highest source of consumer debt – being beaten out only by mortgage loans. While the average interest rate for a student loan isn’t as high as for these other types of debt, the sheer amount of student loan debt is a serious concern. Increasingly, college students in America are borrowing vast sums against their future in order to finance a college education.

But where is all that debt coming from? Who holds it? Is it still increasing… and what is the future of student loans in the United States? It’s an unsustainable trend with the potential for drastic consequences.

To paint a clear picture of the current crisis, we have consolidated the following student loan debt statistics.

How much student debt is owed?

With 60% of all students having some form of debt by graduation–either through private loans issued by financial institutions or direct loans from the government–the sheer amount of debt is staggering.

• There is more than $1.5 trillion of student debt owed in the United States.
  • This debt is owed by 44.5 million people across all demographics.
  • 2 million of those people owe more than $100,000 and 0.5 million of them have a loan for more than $200,000.
  • In 2017, $106.5 billion was borrowed. That is down, however, from the peak of $125.6 billion in 2010. Tuition costs have continued to rise; the decline is due to fewer people enrolling in college each year.

What is the average U.S. student loan debt?​

• The average total amount of outstanding student loan debt for a four-year student that graduated in 2016 was $37,102 – a 78% increase from just 10 years earlier.
  • The average monthly payment on student loans was $393 in 2016, up from $227 in 2005.
To put it in perspective, students graduating today that owe $37,000 could have instead financed: a new Audi A4 or Tesla Model 3, the down payment on your average home, or the bootstrapping of their own small business.

Reactions: Ree4
Yeah, i'll say most students don't have that mindset. Most (if you watch the news) want their debt forgiven as they can't believe the sheer amount they owe after spending 6yrs getting a 4yr degree. Curious as the amount below from the CoC states that the average student owes 37k when graduated - how much do athletes owe that were on scholarship?

Student debt is an enormous burden; not just for young Americans, but the American economy as whole. It has surpassed both auto loan and credit card debt to become the second highest source of consumer debt – being beaten out only by mortgage loans. While the average interest rate for a student loan isn’t as high as for these other types of debt, the sheer amount of student loan debt is a serious concern. Increasingly, college students in America are borrowing vast sums against their future in order to finance a college education.

But where is all that debt coming from? Who holds it? Is it still increasing… and what is the future of student loans in the United States? It’s an unsustainable trend with the potential for drastic consequences.

To paint a clear picture of the current crisis, we have consolidated the following student loan debt statistics.

With 60% of all students having some form of debt by graduation–either through private loans issued by financial institutions or direct loans from the government–the sheer amount of debt is staggering.

• 2 million of those people owe more than $100,000 and 0.5 million of them have a loan for more than $200,000.
  • In 2017, $106.5 billion was borrowed. That is down, however, from the peak of $125.6 billion in 2010. Tuition costs have continued to rise; the decline is due to fewer people enrolling in college each year.

• The average total amount of outstanding student loan debt for a four-year student that graduated in 2016 was $37,102 – a 78% increase from just 10 years earlier.
  • The average monthly payment on student loans was $393 in 2016, up from $227 in 2005.
To put it in perspective, students graduating today that owe $37,000 could have instead financed: a new Audi A4 or Tesla Model 3, the down payment on your average home, or the bootstrapping of their own small business.
They shouldn't pay for school so they can go buy a teala??? ROFLMFAO.

How do you pay for college if 1. your parents aren't paying for it, 2. you are not taking out loans to pay for tuition, book, room and board 3. Not working 3 jobs while in school to not have debt. 4. didn't join the military to cover tuition and books?

Curious how you went through a private school (that yes, you can reduce the tuition to that of a state university) that will cost anywhere from 16k - 32k \yr.
I can tell you how I did it.

1) Rented a two bedroom apartment for 6 guys
2) Held a keggar every month and collected enough money for all utilities and groceries (ramen noodles, mac and cheese, eggs, Aldi's frozen pizza, etc)
3) Worked a ton during the summer (40 hours during the day, umpired softball evenings and weekends)
4) worked 30 hours per week during the school year (evenings and basketball official on weekends
5) Didn't spend much money on clothes, drank at dive bars, worked with hangovers,

2) Held a keggar every month and collected enough money for all utilities and groceries (ramen noodles, mac and cheese, eggs, Aldi's frozen pizza, etc)
3) Worked a ton during the summer (40 hours during the day, umpired softball evenings and weekends)
4) worked 30 hours per week during the school year (evenings and basketball official on weekends
5) Didn't spend much money on clothes, drank at dive bars, worked with hangovers,
The exception I see - nicely done. Most kids these days have been encouraged\groomed to take out loans and that debt is the American way.

Devils advocate here. U of I is 25K all in if you live in the dorm, tuition everything, correct? As a full time student taking 15 hours? A semester you might be able to work 40 hours a week at 15 bucks an hour? Which comes out to 600 bucks a week. Taxes, etc maybe take home 500? 12 x 500 is 6K a year. Pay that all to Iowa you are at 19K. Multiply that times 4 you get 76K owed if you are doing it all by yourself. Now if you have no help or scholarships, etc, community college might be a better route but it’s easy to see how you get huge debt. This isn’t the 70’s.

Reactions: Ree4 and BettDogs7
Devils advocate here. U of I is 25K all in if you live in the dorm, tuition everything, correct? As a full time student taking 15 hours? A semester you might be able to work 40 hours a week at 15 bucks an hour? Which comes out to 600 bucks a week. Taxes, etc maybe take home 500? 12 x 500 is 6K a year. Pay that all to Iowa you are at 19K. Multiply that times 4 you get 76K owed if you are doing it all by yourself. Now if you have no help or scholarships, etc, community college might be a better route but it’s easy to see how you get huge debt. This isn’t the 70’s.
not quibbling with your logic but you need to redo with say 36 (weeks) x 500 = 18K per year

Well, considering that the first two items you listed are illegal, a lot of folks won't consider those choices as an option.

With all the tv money rumored to be coming maybe they could pay fans to show up to games or reduce prices if physical attendance wanes.

If you're charging for it, yes indeed it is illegal. I believe it falls under the umbrella of bootlegging laws in the State and you're likely not obtaining and paying for a temporary liquor license as well.
Heck buying beer in Wisconsin and bringing it into Iowa is bootlegging. On a side note they aren’t buying beer, they bought the cup and the beer was free to anyone with a cup

There are still HR departments out there that want to place some credence in you studying Shakespeare. Somehow it makes you a better more well rounded employee.

Reactions: hawkeyebob62
Let me say this, if the nut jobs that want to forgive student debt get this then they need to repay everyone that has paid a student loan. What is special about these kids right now other than they just don't want to have to pay back a loan on something that is not paying out.

Theres more than 12 weeks a year ;)

Heck buying beer in Wisconsin and bringing it into Iowa is bootlegging. On a side note they aren’t buying beer, they bought the cup and the beer was free to anyone with a cup
No it isn't. Good lord. What the guy above was doing absolutely is illegal then and now. Serving minors for a start. Not having a liquor license or insurance. Mr party fun time is a douche.

Let me say this, if the nut jobs that want to forgive student debt get this then they need to repay everyone that has paid a student loan. What is special about these kids right now other than they just don't want to have to pay back a loan on something that is not paying out.
No they don't. Previous generations of students received more of a subsidy to go to college than the current students. Not sure why that fact is so difficult to understand for so many people. You didn't pull those bootstraps up nearly as hard as you think

Reactions: Ree4 and littlez
No it isn't. Good lord. What the guy above was doing absolutely is illegal then and now. Serving minors for a start. Not having a liquor license or insurance. Mr party fun time is a douche.
“f you vacation in Wisconsin and return with a case of New Glarus Brewing’s Spotted Cow ale — popular but sold only in that state — you could end up, theoretically, in the hoosegow.”

“Beer and wine cannot be purchased outside of Iowa and brought into the state, even if it is consumed in a private residence.

The bulletin does state that if someone is caught bringing beer or wine across state lines could face criminal charges, though it does not state what those charges would be.”

I don’t make the rules and it is dumb but technically it is.

“f you vacation in Wisconsin and return with a case of New Glarus Brewing’s Spotted Cow ale — popular but sold only in that state — you could end up, theoretically, in the hoosegow.”

“Beer and wine cannot be purchased outside of Iowa and brought into the state, even if it is consumed in a private residence.

The bulletin does state that if someone is caught bringing beer or wine across state lines could face criminal charges, though it does not state what those charges would be.”

I don’t make the rules and it is dumb but technically it is.
Same with cigarettes...good ole tax stamp :)

Awesome. Someone who is responsible and gets it.

I was lucky to have parents who paid for college for their 5 children. When "guaranteed student loans" were still available, at 7% vs. a prime rate of 21%, I asked my Dad if I should get one just to have cheap money and invest it at 15% elsewhere. He wasn't happy. His words:

"That money is SUPPOSED to be for kids who can't afford college, and they shouldn't have to work during the school year. Don't be greedy, and try to be more mature".

Of course, those GSLs were $2000 each year, and college tuition was nowhere NEAR what it is now.

There are too few people like you populating our colleges, and instead, we get kids who want debt forgiven AND free food AND a free 60" big screen and Xbox AND to be paid more (economy be damned) AND want unlimited vacation fresh out of college.

Reactions: LarryStation

I was lucky to have parents who paid for college for their 5 children. When "guaranteed student loans" were still available, at 7% vs. a prime rate of 21%, I asked my Dad if I should get one just to have cheap money and invest it at 15% elsewhere. He wasn't happy. His words:

"That money is SUPPOSED to be for kids who can't afford college, and they shouldn't have to work during the school year. Don't be greedy, and try to be more mature".

Of course, those GSLs were $2000 each year, and college tuition was nowhere NEAR what it is now.

There are too few people like you populating our colleges, and instead, we get kids who want debt forgiven AND free food AND a free 60" big screen and Xbox AND to be paid more (economy be damned) AND want unlimited vacation fresh out of college.
So your parents paid for your college but your bitching about kids that have to take out loans because they’re parents don’t have the money to pay? Really?

• Haha
So your parents paid for your college but your bitching about kids that have to take out loans because they’re parents don’t have the money to pay? Really?
Idiot. I'm applauding him for grinding it out and not bitching and moaning.

I also paid for my daughter's college. She refused loans, got merit scholarship money and worked in her chosen field with paid internships.

There is very little reason for loans if you put plans in place.

I also paid for my daughter's college. She refused loans, got merit scholarship money and worked in her chosen field with paid internships.

denWith 60% of all students having some form of debt by graduation–either through private loans issued by financial institutions or direct loans from the government–the sheer amount of debt is staggering.

If you're buried it stu

Most of the people that want their college tuition "forgiven" are just entitled children or people who decided to go to school for something that there are no careers ex. Gender studies. Also there is no "right" to secondary education it's actually pretty evil to expect or want other people who have no ties to you to foot your educational bill which is exactly what loan forgiveness would do. Tax payers would have to pay for other peoples worthless degrees.

Four year degrees have become watered down and are absurdly overvalued. Even the STEM degrees don’t weed out the slackers quite like they used to. When I first stated interviewing applicants in my field 15 years ago, a 3.25 GPA was respectable. Today, it seems nearly every applicant has a GPA above 3.25.

Four year degrees have become watered down and are absurdly overvalued. Even the STEM degrees don’t weed out the slackers quite like they used to. When I first stated interviewing applicants in my field 15 years ago, a 3.25 GPA was respectable. Today, it seems nearly every applicant has a GPA above 3.25.
Coddling of the American mind - the colleges are dumbing down America to make it "equal" for all. You don't lower the bar to improve.

Had to throw out that last paragraph didn't you? Because I don't know any kids like that. All of my sons and their friends worked hard in college and got jobs right out of college and are productive citizens. I don't know any of them who are (were) asking for free food, or a 60' tv and X box and unlimited vacations. Sounds like you're another guy who walked to school uphill both ways into the wind and through 4 foot snow drifts back in "you're day."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT