ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa will be allowed to pay athletes up to $5,980 for good grades

Had to throw out that last paragraph didn't you? Because I don't know any kids like that. All of my sons and their friends worked hard in college and got jobs right out of college and are productive citizens. I don't know any of them who are (were) asking for free food, or a 60' tv and X box and unlimited vacations. Sounds like you're another guy who walked to school uphill both ways into the wind and through 4 foot snow drifts back in "you're day."
60' TV? Where do I get one of those? Shit, I'm going to have to add on. Nevermind

The world’s current problems are based on young kids? GTFO.
That wasn't the claim. The claim was that kids are coddled which is creating problems in society. The people doing the coddling are the problem. But this coddling has been happening for awhile and these kids become the problem when they become adults. But no I am not blaming children nor is anyone else.

And you have proof of this? No, you just want to rip on "today's kids."
Why are they offering up the ability to lower the entry standards and remove testing requirements? You can take your foot out of mouth at any time. I want kids to succeed, to take this country to new heights. You can't do that by lowering standards.

Why are they offering up the ability to lower the entry standards and remove testing requirements? You can take your foot out of mouth at any time. I want kids to succeed, to take this country to new heights. You can't do that by lowering standards.
Go to bed old man.

Solid response filled with loads of information to support your position
Works both ways. Instead of ranting and raving about how bad everything is today you give me facts. Half this board comes on here claiming to love the University of Iowa but then do nothing but complain about how bad college is today. And FYI this not true. College kid with degrees still make way way more money over the course of their job careers than non college graduates. It’s still a fact.

Reactions: Ree4
Works both ways. Instead of ranting and raving about how bad everything is today you give me facts. Half this board comes on here claiming to love the University of Iowa but then do nothing but complain about how bad college is today. And FYI this not true. College kid with degrees still make way way more money over the course of their job careers than non college graduates. It’s still a fact.
What a silly argument. Most of the people that complain about college now are complaining about one of a couple things. 1. The obvious pressure often from professors up to the school admin to hold specific political and religious views, (indoctrination) 2. The attempted shut down of free speech on campus by mostly cuddled students but often backed by administration, 3. Worthless degrees: half of humanities and social science degrees. Or the other group that complains about college is the group that got those worthless degrees and can't get jobs in those high paying jobs you mention because they got one of those worthless degrees. So yes if you are someone that can create, college is an unnecessary step that just creates more debt for you.

What a silly argument. Most of the people that complain about college now are complaining about one of a couple things. 1. The obvious pressure often from professors up to the school admin to hold specific political and religious views, (indoctrination) 2. The attempted shut down of free speech on campus by mostly cuddled students but often backed by administration, 3. Worthless degrees: half of humanities and social science degrees. Or the other group that complains about college is the group that got those worthless degrees and can't get jobs in those high paying jobs you mention because they got one of those worthless degrees. So yes if you are someone that can create, college is an unnecessary step that just creates more debt for you.
You’re also that guy who loves to bitch about so called worthless degrees. It’s a big world out there. Not every kid gets a business or engineering degree. That’s what college has always been about. Liberal Arts, Music, etc are legitimate degrees. Some people want to be social workers, music majors etc. Is what it is. And you’re still wrong.

Indoctrination. Lol. While many pros definitely lean liberal you’re using all the typical talking points of Fox News. Get out of your bubble.

You’re also that guy who loves to bitch about so called worthless degrees. It’s a big world out there. Not every kid gets a business or engineering degree. That’s what college has always been about. Liberal Arts, Music, etc are legitimate degrees. Some people want to be social workers, music majors etc. Is what it is. And you’re still wrong.
Those "worthless" degrees belong to the same kids that continue to drool about having their debt paid off as their Masters of Interpretive Dance doesn't make them any money. Most engineers and business majors will have the income to pay off that debt, or if they play their cards right will get hired by a company that will help repay that debt.

College was about educating young minds to make the world a better place, the past decade or so the education system has become more about microaggressions, safe spaces, shouting down free speech, and if someone doesn't agree with you - then they are evil.

Here is a good read, it will highlight what the "American" higher education system has become.

Those "worthless" degrees belong to the same kids that continue to drool about having their debt paid off as their Masters of Interpretive Dance doesn't make them any money. Most engineers and business majors will have the income to pay off that debt, or if they play their cards right will get hired by a company that will help repay that debt.

College was about educating young minds to make the world a better place, the past decade or so the education system has become more about microaggressions, safe spaces, shouting down free speech, and if someone doesn't agree with you - then they are evil.

Here is a good read, it will highlight what the "American" higher education system has become.

Not sure what world you’re living in. Of course college is still about educating young minds to make the world a better place. Is and always has been. Go walk around Iowa City. Doesn’t look like much has changed over the years. And still putting out a lot of great students. Even while guys like you are yelling at the clouds. And if you think the price of an education from the 70’s and 80’s is proportional to now you’re crazy. A good degree like an Engineering degree is still going to cost you about 100K over 4 years all in. Not like it was back in the day.

Indoctrination. Lol. While many pros definitely lean liberal you’re using all the typical talking points of Fox News. Get out of your bubble.
And you're gas-lighting sounds straight out of CNN which is even more biased (by a long shot) than Fox is BTW I watch way more CNN than I do Fox because I don't like being in an echo chamber. But yes 100% Universities have largely become indoctrination centers over the decades and your delusional if you do not see that.

Not sure what world you’re living in. Of course college is still about educating young minds to make the world a better place. Is and always has been. Go walk around Iowa City. Doesn’t look like much has changed over the years. And still putting out a lot of great students. Even while guys like you are yelling at the clouds. And if you think the price of an education from the 70’s and 80’s is proportional to now you’re crazy. A good degree like an Engineering degree is still going to cost you about 100K over 4 years all in. Not like it was back in
I don't bitch about what people get degrees in but if you chose to get a degree in transgender studies and end up getting buried in debt because their degree is worthless, don't whine about it or demand the debt be waived.

Last edited:
Not sure what world you’re living in. Of course college is still about educating young minds to make the world a better place. Is and always has been. Go walk around Iowa City. Doesn’t look like much has changed over the years. And still putting out a lot of great students. Even while guys like you are yelling at the clouds. And if you think the price of an education from the 70’s and 80’s is proportional to now you’re crazy. A good degree like an Engineering degree is still going to cost you about 100K over 4 years all in. Not like it was back in the day.
And the students know going in what that cost is going to be, yet they seem to seek debt relief for their own choices. A 4 year degree is now taking 5-6 years due to the BS topics that are FORCED upon the incoming students (like diversity, equity, white privilege, safe places, etc).

This is the current world and what is happening - so come out of your liberal euphoria for a moment and open your eyes.

And the students know going in what that cost is going to be, yet they seem to seek debt relief for their own choices. A 4 year degree is now taking 5-6 years due to the BS topics that are FORCED upon the incoming students (like diversity, equity, white privilege, safe places, etc).

This is the current world and what is happening - so come out of your liberal euphoria for a moment and open your eyes.

so I've had 3 kids go through college lately and haven't had 1 have any of those topics be forced upon them. And especially forcing them to go 5-6 years because of that. You are absolutely full of shit.

so I've had 3 kids go through college lately and haven't had 1 have any of those topics be forced upon them. And especially forcing them to go 5-6 years because of that. You are absolutely full of shit.
I know my parents everything that was said and told to me while I was in High School let alone college. Are you serious? Also if your children are like you I'm guessing they haven't had to experience being a non-liberal at University or maybe they didn't recognize they were being indoctrinated. Based off of your perspective I'm guessing you didn't realize that you were being indoctrinated. Or maybe they got lucky and went to a university that taught them how to think instead of what to think.

I know my parents everything that was said and told to me while I was in High School let alone college. Are you serious? Also if your children are like you I'm guessing they haven't had to experience being a non-liberal at University or maybe they didn't recognize they were being indoctrinated. Based off of your perspective I'm guessing you didn't realize that you were being indoctrinated. Or maybe they got lucky and went to a university that taught them how to think instead of what to think.
Well my kids are all graduating in 4 years so your made up nonsense about being indoctrinated and having to go for 5-6 years is just not true. So in the spirit of honesty 1 went to a big public school in Kansas, another goes to a private Catholic school (waiting to be indoctrinated) lol and the other to a public school out West. 2 of the 3 are state schools. Keep trying. And no, I wasn’t indoctrinated in my time in Iowa City.

"We ain't come to play school"

Half of these high school players gearing up for the next level don't give a damn about "grades". This puny reward is basically just tossing over a chewed up bone to those who work their asses off in the classroom, while the Cardale Joneses skip class for two years and suddenly start making tens of millions.

Is it in the form of a grant or scholarship money? How would a school get away with paying cash?

and here is where this big new tv contract money will come up nice for the big 10.....
Will it though? 6k is chump change really. And how much of the money will be allowed to go towards the football program? Equality bs and all...

Easy...they are doing that so the graduation rates jump and those in charge "look" better even though they're doing a worse job. It's pretty common and very pathetic. It's like telling teachers not to punish black kids who misbehave and claiming that somehow stops racism. Backwards ass country we live in these days

That wasn't the claim. The claim was that kids are coddled which is creating problems in society. The people doing the coddling are the problem. But this coddling has been happening for awhile and these kids become the problem when they become adults. But no I am not blaming children nor is anyone else.
So baby boomers. You just described baby boomers

Says the clueless fool that thinks 6 figures in benefits isn't enough for a bench warmer
Derpity derp genius
Like I said you are clueless. You have zero clue about benefits student athletes receive or don't receive.

Keep taking though. People are laughing at you. Especially the bench warmers

Like I said you are clueless. You have zero clue about benefits student athletes receive or don't receive.

Keep taking though. People are laughing at you. Especially the bench warmers
you talking about walk ons or scholarship bench warmers? every scholarship player has the same benefits bud....
and if a walk on hasn't even earned a scholarship they haven't earned shit for benefits. you're clearly in the "entitled america" pathetic crowd....

ADVERTISEMENT