ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa will beat Wisconsin

JerseyCityHawki

HR All-American
Oct 28, 2019
Hackensack, New Jersey
By how many points? I don’t know… it’s probably going to be a close game as they kinda mirror one another but I think Iowa’s defense is better than Wisconsin’s defense…if the defense can get to Mertz and wreak havoc in the backfield and TACKLE… as the back for Wisconsin is a load (Allen)

If the line can contain their blocking and avoid sacks and contain Herberg (sp)? Then Petras can possibly go deep as Wisconsin’s secondary is good but not that good.

keep feeding KALEB JOHNSON… and run run run then hit the play action pass… Me thinks that SP needs to roll out more often as well.

Iowa 22
Wisconsin 10

This team has been awful on offense against the most physical teams that it has played. Wisconsin probably is a tier below its standard but is still worlds better than Purdue and Northwestern. Key to this game is going to be the passing game with Spencer. If he's upright and hitting his throws we'll have a chance. Wisconsin's not going to be scoring more than 10 on this defense.

Iowa can win if Wisc. only points they get are from their offense. We can't turn the ball over on our side of the field. I know their offense will get credit for scoring but really it will be their defense that got them there.
Turn overs will decide this game....

By how many points? I don’t know… it’s probably going to be a close game as they kinda mirror one another but I think Iowa’s defense is better than Wisconsin’s defense…if the defense can get to Mertz and wreak havoc in the backfield and TACKLE… as the back for Wisconsin is a load (Allen)

If the line can contain their blocking and avoid sacks and contain Herberg (sp)? Then Petras can possibly go deep as Wisconsin’s secondary is good but not that good.

keep feeding KALEB JOHNSON… and run run run then hit the play action pass… Me thinks that SP needs to roll out more often as well.

Iowa 22
Wisconsin 10
I like your optimism.

We'll need to pass the ball to set up the run with Kaleb, IMO. That said....I feel like Ragaini is kind of catching fire...Vines is making a contribution and may be ready to sort of have a "break out" game (meaning 5 or 6 catches)...hopefully Brecht is back and can contribute 3-4 catches....and those TEs keep making plays. Obviously need the O Line to give enough protection to allow Petras enough time to set his feet and come through his progression. Wiscy will get to him for sure....I just hope we can limit the sacks and loss of yards. I especially hope he doesn't turn the ball over.

You say 22-10 Hawks. I'm in the same(ish) camp. 21-7 or 24-10 kind of game. Go Hawks!

Reactions: JerseyCityHawki
This game will hinge on the O line and/or turnovers. The O line seems to have turned a corner....vs some pretty marginal defenses. This will be a bigger test of what appears to be an improved O line. If the improvement is fools gold, we'll need turnovers and defensive score(s) to win. If they hold up, give Petras time and open up some holes for the run game and we've got a better than even shot.

Looking at what our defense has done this season, I don't expect Wisconsin to score a bunch. That said, a broken play can produce a TD pretty quick with a good RB.

I just don't know what to expect. I'm gonna dress warmly, have some food and beer before the game and go see what happens.

Iowa 22
Wisconsin 10
Mostly agree...except Iowa does not throw deep with Petras. It will be windy, so that makes it even more unlikely. But....you never know!

Reactions: JerseyCityHawki
Mostly agree...except Iowa does not throw deep with Petras. It will be windy, so that makes it even more unlikely. But....you never know!
Wind from north though and with the north end zone like it is, it is not nearly as bad as it used to be.

Mertz is good for a turnover...hopefully two. Our pass rush just keeps improving...they have been really good the past two weeks and Phil is keeping guys fresh. Hard to believe we will only lose two, possibly three out of the 9-10 that are playing. Plus, there are guys waiting in the wings to battle for the those spots...Evans, Wagonner and Shannon...if they don't come back

Didn't realize Wisconsin had a new OC heading into this season:

An accomplished coach at the college and professional levels, Bobby Engram brings a wealth of experience and a track record of high-level success to the Wisconsin football program, which he joins for the 2022 season as the Badgers’ offensive coordinator.

Engram joins the Badgers’ staff after spending eight seasons in the NFL becoming a highly-respected assistant coach with the Baltimore Ravens. His first five years in Baltimore saw him serve as wide receivers coach before he spent the last three seasons mentoring the Ravens’ tight ends. He helped develop a number of standout players during his time in the NFL, with Ravens TE Mark Andrews the latest example of his impact. Named first-team All-Pro, Andrews set franchise records with 107 receptions for 1,361 receiving yards in 2021 and earned his second Pro Bowl nod in three seasons.

Engram’s tight ends were key to the Ravens’ record-setting offensive success over his last three years on staff, including the 14-2 effort in 2019 that saw Baltimore lead the NFL in scoring (33.2 points) and rushing (206.0 yards per game) while ranking No. 2 in total yards (407.6 per game). Andrews had 64 catches for 852 yards and 10 touchdowns that year on his way to the Pro Bowl, leading a trio of tight ends that ranked among the Ravens’ top five reception leaders.

Prior to his time in Baltimore, Engram spent two seasons as wide receivers coach on Chryst’s staff at the University of Pittsburgh from 2012-13. Engram developed a star in his second season with the Panthers, with WR Tyler Boyd recording 85 receptions for 1,174 yards to break the school’s freshman records — previously held by Larry Fitzgerald — in both categories on his way to being named Freshman All-America.

As a college player, Engram developed into a prolific wide receiver at Penn State and still holds the Nittany Lions’ career records for receiving yards (3,026) and touchdown receptions (31). He was the inaugural winner of the Biletnikoff Award as the nation’s best wide receiver in 1994, when he caught 52 passes for 1,029 yards to earn first-team All-America honors and help the Nittany Lions to an undefeated season and Big Ten championship. Engram was named first-team All-Big Ten in each of his final three seasons at Penn State.

He went on to an accomplished 14-year career as a pro after being selected by the Chicago Bears in the second round of the 1996 NFL Draft. Engram played in 176 career games for Chicago, Seattle and Kansas City, totaling 650 receptions for 7,751 yards and 35 touchdowns. In 2005, he was the leading receiver for the Seahawks team that played in Super Bowl XL. In 2007, his 12th NFL season, Engram posted career highs in receptions (94), yards (1,147) and touchdowns (6) in leading the Seahawks to the NFC West title.

Engram's Coaching Career
2011: Offensive Assistant, San Francisco 49ers
2012-13: Wide Receivers, Pittsburgh
2014-18: Wide Receivers, Baltimore Ravens
2019-21: Tight Ends, Baltimore Ravens
2022-present: Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks, Wisconsin

Reactions: obfuscating
I expect short fields for both teams due to the QBs. Who can cash in on those opportunities
This ^. Two bad qbs playing. I’m guessing Wisconsin will confuse our line like they usually do and it will be another long day for our offense. Purdue and NW were awful on defense, Wisconsin is better, but not the usual Wisconsin defense. Hopefully Johnson gets some room to run or it will be a long day.

Wisky's D gave up 34 to Illinois and 24 to Purdue, both at home. They're good, but I don't think they will completely stifle Iowa like I thought they might a few weeks ago when our O was looking completely inept. Iowa's performance on offense in this game will indicate whether they've really found something or if it is just fool's gold and just a manifestation of poor defensive competition (I'm sure hoping for the former, and I think there's a good chance it is).

I was at the Wisconsin-Maryland game at Camp Randall last weekend. Yes, the weather conditions were terrible, but I'm not convinced Wisconsin will be able to score against us. Their offense is pretty bad. If we can score 21 points I think we win pretty easily, and their defense isn't great. This might be the worst Iowa-Wisconsin matchup you'll ever get to see. If the over/under is a negative number I still might take it.

Wisky 9 - Iowa 13

Braelon Allen is their offense. Wisky passes for about as much as they give up defensively but my gut tells me you make it difficult for Allen if becomes VERY difficult for Mertz. Keep those offensive linemen off our LBs and pressure. They don't turn the ball over much (so far....11 times in 9 games).

Wisconsin's front 7 is still pretty good. I would bet that they will do their typical good job of stopping the run between the tackles as well as the crossing routes in the middle of the field. However, Wisky's corners are very susceptible and thus we are going to have to take advantage and beat them on the perimeter. Unfortunately, these are routes and throws that have not been executed very well so far by this Iowa offense.

Obviously we have to stop their run, put the ball in Mertz's hands on 3rd down and not only win the turnover battle, we can't commit any stupid ones like pick 6's, fumbled kick returns, etc.

If neither team implodes, both teams pretty much stop the run and each defense is going to make the other team's QB beat them, this game will all come down to execution in the red zone. Touchdowns will be gold in this game.

Mertz has been a completely different QB this year. He has made big throws on 3rd down, been a more effective scrambler, and cut the dumb decisions in half. When he’s kept clean, he’s poised and accurate to all levels of the field. If an opposing defense can get him to the ground a few times, then you’ll see him start to get sloppy and make mistakes

Wisconsin has used a different OL combination almost every week due to injuries, but was able to get to their “ideal” alignment last week. RT is the most vulnerable spot as Mahlman is a redshirt freshman with only a few games under his belt after missing most of the last two months

RB and TE are on the thin side after some injuries as well. The remaining TEs aren’t significant threats in the pass game. Braelon Allen has been battling a shoulder injury that has kept him out for a bit in each of the last two games. Guerendo is the only other RB that plays. He has had TD runs of over 50 yards in each of the last two games

The WRs have been a very pleasant surprise. Both Dike and Bell have done a great job picking up YAC, doing most of their damage on deep crossing routes. Lewis is the guy they use to stretch the field vertically, but haven’t hit the few shots they’ve taken

Defensively, they had their growing pains at the start of the year. The secondary was entirely new, and they also suffered some injuries to key starters (Wohler and Smith). They’re playing much better ball on the backend with everyone healthy

The ILBs are not a strength for the first time in a long time. They have improved throughout the year, but more to the point that they’re simply not liabilities

Herbig is tied for the NCAA lead in sacks/game and generates his pressure with speed and motor. The other OLB spot is mostly just an edge setter at this point

Benton has been a handful for opposing interior linemen. The other DL are solid, yet unspectacular

Iowa certainly has the advantage in special teams, although our punter is no slouch either. Guerendo has had a few nice kick returns this year, but that’s about it in the return game

I think this game will be decided by the mistakes. A turnover or two in opponent territory will go a long way. I don’t see either offense having much success moving the ball and being able to overcome short fields given to the opponent

Reactions: psmet91 and Birky
Didn't realize Wisconsin had a new OC heading into this season:

An accomplished coach at the college and professional levels, Bobby Engram brings a wealth of experience and a track record of high-level success to the Wisconsin football program, which he joins for the 2022 season as the Badgers’ offensive coordinator.

Engram joins the Badgers’ staff after spending eight seasons in the NFL becoming a highly-respected assistant coach with the Baltimore Ravens. His first five years in Baltimore saw him serve as wide receivers coach before he spent the last three seasons mentoring the Ravens’ tight ends. He helped develop a number of standout players during his time in the NFL, with Ravens TE Mark Andrews the latest example of his impact. Named first-team All-Pro, Andrews set franchise records with 107 receptions for 1,361 receiving yards in 2021 and earned his second Pro Bowl nod in three seasons.

Engram’s tight ends were key to the Ravens’ record-setting offensive success over his last three years on staff, including the 14-2 effort in 2019 that saw Baltimore lead the NFL in scoring (33.2 points) and rushing (206.0 yards per game) while ranking No. 2 in total yards (407.6 per game). Andrews had 64 catches for 852 yards and 10 touchdowns that year on his way to the Pro Bowl, leading a trio of tight ends that ranked among the Ravens’ top five reception leaders.

Prior to his time in Baltimore, Engram spent two seasons as wide receivers coach on Chryst’s staff at the University of Pittsburgh from 2012-13. Engram developed a star in his second season with the Panthers, with WR Tyler Boyd recording 85 receptions for 1,174 yards to break the school’s freshman records — previously held by Larry Fitzgerald — in both categories on his way to being named Freshman All-America.

As a college player, Engram developed into a prolific wide receiver at Penn State and still holds the Nittany Lions’ career records for receiving yards (3,026) and touchdown receptions (31). He was the inaugural winner of the Biletnikoff Award as the nation’s best wide receiver in 1994, when he caught 52 passes for 1,029 yards to earn first-team All-America honors and help the Nittany Lions to an undefeated season and Big Ten championship. Engram was named first-team All-Big Ten in each of his final three seasons at Penn State.

He went on to an accomplished 14-year career as a pro after being selected by the Chicago Bears in the second round of the 1996 NFL Draft. Engram played in 176 career games for Chicago, Seattle and Kansas City, totaling 650 receptions for 7,751 yards and 35 touchdowns. In 2005, he was the leading receiver for the Seahawks team that played in Super Bowl XL. In 2007, his 12th NFL season, Engram posted career highs in receptions (94), yards (1,147) and touchdowns (6) in leading the Seahawks to the NFC West title.

Engram's Coaching Career
2011: Offensive Assistant, San Francisco 49ers
2012-13: Wide Receivers, Pittsburgh
2014-18: Wide Receivers, Baltimore Ravens
2019-21: Tight Ends, Baltimore Ravens
2022-present: Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks, Wisconsin
Good move by Wiscy. GB doesnt have the fortitude to make such a move.

Other than a terrible performance at Ohio State, Andy Vujinovich( a transfer from the University of Dubuque) has done a nice job.

I didn't think we would win another game after Ohio State. Hawks look to be coming around albeit against weak d's. Wisconsin is not Wisconsin this year. I like us 17-14

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT