ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa will beat Wisconsin

Who is that? (Being serious)? Also how’s that kid from Iowa (DE OR LB) I think TJ Bollers from Tiffen, IA… is he starting or how’s he doing?
Vujnovich is the punter

Bollers has mostly been on special teams, but has seen defensive snaps in a few games. He’ll be more in the mix for playing time next year

Mertz has been a completely different QB this year. He has made big throws on 3rd down, been a more effective scrambler, and cut the dumb decisions in half. When he’s kept clean, he’s poised and accurate to all levels of the field. If an opposing defense can get him to the ground a few times, then you’ll see him start to get sloppy and make mistakes

Wisconsin has used a different OL combination almost every week due to injuries, but was able to get to their “ideal” alignment last week. RT is the most vulnerable spot as Mahlman is a redshirt freshman with only a few games under his belt after missing most of the last two months

RB and TE are on the thin side after some injuries as well. The remaining TEs aren’t significant threats in the pass game. Braelon Allen has been battling a shoulder injury that has kept him out for a bit in each of the last two games. Guerendo is the only other RB that plays. He has had TD runs of over 50 yards in each of the last two games

The WRs have been a very pleasant surprise. Both Dike and Bell have done a great job picking up YAC, doing most of their damage on deep crossing routes. Lewis is the guy they use to stretch the field vertically, but haven’t hit the few shots they’ve taken

Defensively, they had their growing pains at the start of the year. The secondary was entirely new, and they also suffered some injuries to key starters (Wohler and Smith). They’re playing much better ball on the backend with everyone healthy

The ILBs are not a strength for the first time in a long time. They have improved throughout the year, but more to the point that they’re simply not liabilities

Herbig is tied for the NCAA lead in sacks/game and generates his pressure with speed and motor. The other OLB spot is mostly just an edge setter at this point

Benton has been a handful for opposing interior linemen. The other DL are solid, yet unspectacular

Iowa certainly has the advantage in special teams, although our punter is no slouch either. Guerendo has had a few nice kick returns this year, but that’s about it in the return game

I think this game will be decided by the mistakes. A turnover or two in opponent territory will go a long way. I don’t see either offense having much success moving the ball and being able to overcome short fields given to the opponent
Mertz has not faced a front 7 like Iowa! Plus cold conditions will make gripping the ball more difficult JMO.

The real question, for me, is can our young O line that is just getting it's footing, figure out Wiscy's 3 man front on D? The way wiscy uses their 3 man front with usually a 4th or 5th attacking the LOS on most plays (but you never know from where) has given more experienced O lines of ours fits.

Will our line continue it's growth or will they be confused and ineffective? That and turnovers will be the keys to the game.

The real question, for me, is can our young O line that is just getting it's footing, figure out Wiscy's 3 man front on D? The way wiscy uses their 3 man front with usually a 4th or 5th attacking the LOS on most plays (but you never know from where) has given more experienced O lines of ours fits.

Will our line continue it's growth or will they be confused and ineffective? That and turnovers will be the keys to the game.
Maybe this year's line is designed specifically for 3 man fronts? That could explain the odd timing/whiffed blocks of the 4th man that starts on the line... they're anticipating an unknown rusher and therefore miss the obvious man. Gotta be it.

Mertz has not faced a front 7 like Iowa! Plus cold conditions will make gripping the ball more difficult JMO.
The Iowa front is very good, although Mertz has faced a number of very good fronts in his career. We’ll see if the Wisconsin OL is up to the task of keeping him upright

Reactions: Wadzinator
I expect a real struggle offensively against Wisconsin, like most years over the past decade. I think Wisconsin moves the ball better offensively and wins this low scoring game.

Wisconsin 20
Iowa 10

The team better at rushing the ball wins 19 out of 21 times (90%). And Iowa simply can't turn the ball over like it has over the past 5 games (16 turnovers).

Funny we can win against Wiscy when the stakes are much lower. When both team battle for the top we know Wiscy always comes out front.

Funny we can win against Wiscy when the stakes are much lower. When both team battle for the top we know Wiscy always comes out front.
Well....this game could be a very important game. Takes on a whole new meaning if Purdue beats IL earlier in the day.

Reactions: desihawk
I still say if Iowa runs the ball better AND wins the turnover margin battle they win the game.

This pass receiving list has 1 Iowa player & 1 Wisconsin player.

FhPmK9LWAAAd4K1

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT