ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Women #1 Seed?

Chicagoherky71

Team MVP
Nov 20, 2007
Currently ranked 3rd in the country and have been top 4 for several weeks. If we make it to the finals of the Big Ten tournament does Iowa get a number 1 seed?

Reactions: RIGHTWINGHAWK
Iowa wins BTT they'll be a 1 seed, same holds for fOSU. Iowa will be no less than a 2 seed should they lose either to IU or fOSU. What will be interesting if both fOSU and Iowa lose to IU.

Reactions: Rambler Hawk
Supposedly Indiana's big gal hurt her knee yesterday. If true, Indiana may not be beating anyone. They're a tough to understand team. Lights out at home, horrible on the road. A team like that usually flames out quickly come tournament time. I still think if Iowa and tosu meet for the BTT title they both get a #1 (unless we put another beatdown on them like we did in last year's title game)

I don't understand how OSU is seeded above us.

In conference, we've split the series. At their place we took them to OT but at our place we win by 10. Advantage us.

Both of us have beaten IU at home, but Iowa's win is more impressive because IU was not at full strength when OSU beat them. (We also lost @ IU but you can't compare because OSU didn't have to play there.) Advantage us.

Both of us have one "bad" loss against Nebraska and Michigan. But Nebraska is around 30 in the NET and Michigan is around 50. Advantage us.

Out of conference, Iowa has ranked wins over Virginia Tech and KSU, with one loss to KSU. OSU has no ranked wins with losses to USC and UCLA. Advantage us.

Iowa is currently above OSU in the NET and has been all season. Advantage us.

Iowa season record 26-4. OSU is 25-4. Our SOS is #2 per Massey. OSU's is #6. Advantage us.

Last edited:

In conference, we've split the series. At their place we took them to OT but at our placd we win by 10. Advantage us.

Both of us have beaten IU at home, but Iowa's win is more impressive because IU was not at full strength when OSU beat them. (We also lost @ IU but you can't compare because OSU didn't have to play there.) Advantage us.

Both of us have one "bad" loss against Nebraska and Michigan. But Nebraska is around 30 in the NET and Michigan is around 50. Advantage us.

Out of conference, Iowa has ranked wins over Virginia Tech and KSU, with one loss to KSU. OSU has no ranked wins with losses to USC and UCLA. Advantage us.

Iowa season record 26-4. OSU is 25-4. Our SOS is #2 per Massey. OSU's is #6. Advantage us.
When it's close, go with the JaMarcus Russell theory: if it looks more impressive, then it must be. They're taller and more athletic, plus it's Ohio State.

Who can argue with that?

I know they beat Ohio State recently but I was sort of expecting them to still be ranked higher.

In conference, we've split the series. At their place we took them to OT but at our placd we win by 10. Advantage us.

biggest difference would be their January and February were undefeated. And iowas unexpected lost is much more recent than Ohio States vs Michigan. (2/11 vs end of December) but you have good points.

They hopefully will get a third game to prove who is more worthy but it’s close to a toss up.

Supposedly Indiana's big gal hurt her knee yesterday. If true, Indiana may not be beating anyone. They're a tough to understand team. Lights out at home, horrible on the road. A team like that usually flames out quickly come tournament time. I still think if Iowa and tosu meet for the BTT title they both get a #1 (unless we put another beatdown on them like we did in last year's title game)
Well I know what I would do if I were the Indiana coach. If it was not structural damage BUT it still leaves her with it hurting a bit, I would not play her in the BTT. You be better off going 0-1 or 1-1 in the BTT and having her ready for the NCAA tourney. With her past issues I would not risk it.

In conference, we've split the series. At their place we took them to OT but at our place we win by 10. Advantage us.

This seeding deal works in Strange ways folks and I don’t personally completely understand it. Just remember one thing last year the game before the we went to the big ten tournament we beat Indiana on a Clark buzzer beater. Then we swept the Big Tournament with an impressive win over Ohio state . Indiana did not make it to the finals as they were eliminated in the semi’s. Indiana got the #1 seed. Like I said hard to figure out. It’s like they already have there mind made up when they do the final bracketing before season ends or conf tournaments.

Iowa has better wins than OSU but it also has worse losses. OSU has four losses and three of them are to top 7 teams and a bad loss to Michigan. Iowa has lost to OSU and three other teams that are outside the top ten, including a bad loss to Nebraska. I’d think whomever beats the other in the big ten tourney gets a one seed or whomever advances further in the conference tourney.

As mentioned, Hawks no worse than highest #2 seed and a #2/3 overall seed in national tourney with winning B1G.

Winning the B1G sets them opposite SC in Final Four potential spot.

Reactions: Chuck C

I believe Iowa and SC. Are the only two that have beaten every team on their schedule

Reactions: cmhawks99
And her back up got hurt right after her and had to be helped off the court. They are basically the only two true post players. If they can't go, Indiana will be a hard team to prepare for for their first opponent, as you won't really know what to expect.

If we are a #2 seed we should be the highest one which should put us opposite of South Carolina. Is that right or is it more regional?

Well I know what I would do if I were the Indiana coach. If it was not structural damage BUT it still leaves her with it hurting a bit, I would not play her in the BTT. You be better off going 0-1 or 1-1 in the BTT and having her ready for the NCAA tourney. With her past issues I would not risk it.
If they're playing Iowa in the semies, though, Moren's pride will force her to have all hands on deck so they don't lose their win back to Iowa...........

If we are a #2 seed we should be the highest one which should put us opposite of South Carolina. Is that right or is it more regional?

The highest 2 seed would be the 5th overall and would be on SC’s side.

The 5th seed overall would not be on SC’s side. The 8th seed overall would be on track to face SC in the Elite 8. That’s where the “sides” “brackets” whatever end. In the final four yes the 4/5 overall would face SC the 1 overall but at that point you can’t rly complain bc you’re in the Final Four and you should be able to play your game.

The one risk is they take injuries into seeding consideration.
If Indiana goes 0-1 and Holmes does not play, there is a real risk they are not in top 16 and no home games.
With Indiana’s home record, if game is close, you almost have to have her, make an appearanc.

I truly believe we need to win the BTT to get a 1 seed. Lose to OSU in the finals and we are a 5 or 6. BUT, so much else can happen on teams #2 through #10. Never the less if we want a 1 seed the only sure way to get there is run the 3 games at the BTT.

The highest 2 seed would be the 5th overall and would be on SC’s side.

Kitley from Virginia Tech was hurt yesterday too.
True IF the committee seeds by the exact seed (5,6,7,8) OR do the look at.....here are the number 2 seeds and where should they go? You would think some common sense would prevail. (I know...it's the NCAA). Right, wrong or indifferent, they will want the visibility and the women's basketball train to keep plowing ahead and the sure fire way to kill that would be to have a pre Final Four match-up of SC and Iowa and Iowa loses. The want/need the viewership that an Iowa Final Four would bring.

Not saying Iowa is a lock to get there if they do not play South Carolina, but the odds go up dramatically I would think.

I may be way wrong but if Iowa loses to OSU in the finals of the BTT, then we will head out west. Of course it would be nice to just go ahead and win the BTT! :D:D

Basically, the committee will be forced to pay attention to the conference tournaments, even though they lie to us and say they don't actually matter as much.

If Ohio State is 4th, I'm curious to see who they would put over them, if the brackets came out today, as the last 1 seed.

Right now, I would have the 1 seeds look like this:

Albany 1 South Carolina
Portland 2 Stanford
Albany 3 Iowa
Portland 4 UCLA

2 seeds would be:

Albany 1 (8) Texas
Portland 2 (7) LSU
Albany 3 (6) USC
Portland 4 (5) Ohio State

So there could be some movement between those teams as the conference tournaments play out, and the one team to keep an eye on is UConn.

They should cruise to the Big East Tournament title, and wait to take the place of any team not named Stanford or Iowa as a 2 seed.

Texas has a much tougher road to keeping their 2 seed than anyone else right now, but will the committee be cheap and avoid putting UConn and South Carolina in the same region?

Locked 1 seeds:
South Carolina
Stanford

Locked 2 seed or better:
Iowa

Should be at least a 2 seed with a good showing in CTs:
UCLA
Ohio State
USC

Charlie Creme, the old guard-thinking piece of crap that has routinely undersold Iowa (and Caitlin Clark prior to midway through last year), actually has Iowa as a 2 seed in Portland with 1 seed UCLA. I almost prefer this draw over being a 1 seed with USC because of the garbage hype that will be manufactured around Caitlin vs JuJu. The other downside is that this winner would be pitted against South Carolina in the Final Four.

Of course, I don't know how the regions are paired as F4 matchups. It could just be that they rank the teams 1-4 and then assign them regions and the top 1 seed is slated to play the 4th 1 seed and 2 vs 3 if chalk prevails, unlike where the men are attached to specific regions (Midwest vs West/East vs South this year).

In my pairings, Iowa would get USC in the Regional Final, and the potential winner of Stanford-LSU in the F4.

Regardless, to answer the question simply, if Iowa wins the Big Ten tournament, they will be a 1 seed, and there won't be anyone bumping them out. I can't say with confidence, though, that they'd be the 3rd 1 seed as opposed to the 4th 1 seed opposite South Carolina.

Reactions: 83Hawk
Right now, I would have the 1 seeds look like this:

Albany 1 South Carolina
Portland 2 Stanford
Albany 3 Iowa
Portland 4 UCLA
I agree with most of this.
However, the Stanford & UCLA is a challenge.

If UCLA beats USC but loses to Stanford, they will be questionable.
I don’t think they get #1 over Big12 champ Texas or SEC champ LSU.
They probably are ahead of tOSU as runner-up.

If UCLA or USC beats Stanford, Stanford is in better shape but still has to worry about Texas/LSU.

UCONN lost to Texas and UCLA, so not jumping them for last #1 even with chaos.

The 5th seed overall would not be on SC’s side. The 8th seed overall would be on track to face SC in the Elite 8. That’s where the “sides” “brackets” whatever end. In the final four yes the 4/5 overall would face SC the 1 overall but at that point you can’t rly complain bc you’re in the Final Four and you should be able to play your game.
I don’t care if they’re a 1 or 2… much prefer to be the overall 2,3,6,7 to get SC in the final if both survive and advance

I agree with most of this.
However, the Stanford & UCLA is a challenge.

If UCLA beats USC but loses to Stanford, they will be questionable.
I don’t think they get #1 over Big12 champ Texas or SEC champ LSU.
They probably are ahead of tOSU as runner-up.

If UCLA or USC beats Stanford, Stanford is in better shape but still has to worry about Texas/LSU.

UCONN lost to Texas and UCLA, so not jumping them for last #1 even with chaos.
That was my projection right now if they were doing Selection Sunday today.

Obviously, as I mentioned, things can change depending on how the conference tournaments play out.

Stanford will be a 1 seed, regardless of how they do. That writing is on the wall. Obviously, if LSU beats South Carolina, that could change some things, but Texas has fallen enough that they'd need a massive amount of help to earn a 1 seed. They probably have the toughest road to climb to a CT title.

If UCLA/USC win the Pac 12 tournament, they will be a 1 seed, unless LSU is gifted a token win by Dawn Staley because she's "pro-SEC" and by SEC I'm implying a few things.................(I'm only being semi-serious ;).............................or am I?)

As I mentioned, Charlie Creme has UCLA as a 1 seed, with South Carolina, Stanford, and Ohio State being the other 1 seeds in his bracketology. So there is a precedent.

I think whomever wins the Big Ten tourney between OSU and Iowa is the other number one seed in Albany with South Carolina. The other team that doesn’t win (Iowa or OSU) won’t be put in South Carolina’s bracket as a two seed because they shouldn’t fall that far. And they won’t be the other two seed in Albany with a team in their own conference as the one seed. So they’d probably be out in Portland.
If Ohio State wins the big ten tourney, I maybe see the committee placing Ohio State out west as the third number one seed along with Stanford. And putting a USC/UCLA/Texas as the last one seed in Albany with Iowa as the two seed in that brackett.

All I know is winning the BTT should guarantee a 1 seed on the opposite side of the bracket as South Carolina and that seems infinitely superior to any other draw.

Puts a huge incentive on winning the BTT. Let's do this thing.
Serious question. Does playing in the same regional location as South Carolina mean they would be the matchup in the final four?

I think if OSU and Iowa both lose in the semis, Iowa would still have a chance at a 1. If OSU wins the BTT, we would slide to a 2. As people have mentioned before, as long as we don't lose in the quarters, we should be opposite South Carolina.

Serious question. Does playing in the same regional location as South Carolina mean they would be the matchup in the final four?
No idea, but looking at the bracketologists, it doesn't look like it.

I think the idea is that:
Top 1 seed Albany
4th 1 seed Portland

2nd vs 3rd 1 seed between Albany/Portland however that shakes out.

Of course, it may not matter. The main thing is that whoever is opposite South Carolina is the 4th #1 seed. That's what we would like to avoid.

I believe we were in that spot last year as the top 2 seed with Stanford who was the 4th #1 seed.

OSU = B1G Champs ...... plain and simple

Iowa is favored to win the Big Ten tournament in my eyes. Iowa will meet Indiana. They should be favored by at least six points. They move onto the finals against Ohio State. I think Iowa would be at least two maybe three point favored. Michigan State will be a tough out the buckeyes better watch out also

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT