ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Women seeded #2 for National Duals

think @ZachJump is saying that Bella Mir might be the best option for 155.

IMO, Deede appears to be the more technically sound wrestler. Mir is a bit more of a brawler, but has made huge improvements in a very short time. Plus, she's a pinner which might make her a better option in a close dual.

I don't know how the h2h between her and Deede shakes out. They do have a common opponent for reference. Deede beat Latifa McBryde 8-3, while Mir pinned her in the 1st.

I have been a big Mir fan since the first time I saw her wrestle. Watched her lose matches a year ago that she would get first period pins in today.

Besides...got to love her dad going all in.

20230428_122858(0).jpg

Starting to feel bad for Emily. I wonder if her cut is to much. Not sure the quality of her opponent but she made that look easy.

Reactions: sdvike
Starting to feel bad for Emily. I wonder if her cut is to much. Not sure the quality of her opponent but she made that look easy.

Unfortunately right now 130 is our weakest weight. If Taylor goes to 116...123 will be right there as well.

Unfortunately right now 130 is our weakest weight. If Taylor goes to 116...123 will be right there as well.
Would it make sense for Frost to go up and luft to go down? I’ll be completely honest, the soldier salute gave me incentive to invest in this team, but I’m not knowledgeable on the composition of this team the way I am the men’s. So, I’m playing catch-up. It seems like luft is underweight or wrestling up and Frost is cutting a bunch, not sure yet but that’s what I see while watching.

Would it make sense for Frost to go up and luft to go down? I’ll be completely honest, the soldier salute gave me incentive to invest in this team, but I’m not knowledgeable on the composition of this team the way I am the men’s. So, I’m playing catch-up. It seems like luft is underweight or wrestling up and Frost is cutting a bunch, not sure yet but that’s what I see while watching.

We are set at 136....with Esther and Nanea. Just neither are wrestling this weekend. The dream would be that Esther could cut to 130.

The problem with Frost is she’s a junker. Has no leg attacks and only looks for headlocks and big moves. Has almost no leg defense either.

Thanks. Im new at this like many. I just saw she was ranked #1 by Flo at 155. Is there a possibility she goes another weight?
There really isn't a need to unless the other weight is at risk of not scoring points at NCAA’s which is about zero right now. Being able to take 14 is a real advantage at certain weights. It is highly likely that the Hawks will be ranked 1-2 at 143, 1-2 at 155 and 1-3 at 170. One will end up being the point scorer, the other the point blocker.

There really isn't a need to unless the other weight is at risk of not scoring points at NCAA’s which is about zero right now. Being able to take 14 is a real advantage at certain weights. It is highly likely that the Hawks will be ranked 1-2 at 143, 1-2 at 155 and 1-3 at 170. One will end up being the point scorer, the other the point blocker.

I think we are going to learn alot in the next match.

Yelena Makoyed wrestled 191 in the last match. I don't think Clarissa will do it...but there could be an argument made for putting Mir at 155, Deede at 170 and Welker at 191 for this dual.

Foeller can easily be a top 2 or 3 at 191...not sure if she is on the same level as Makoyed. Would love to find out I am wrong.

Reactions: HawkeyeMass
Just some tidbits for people that have just started watching.

Ava Bayless is ranked 2nd at 109. She might the third best at 109 in the room. Nyla Valencia is hurt and somebody posted at the start of the year she was out for the year. Brianna at 116...she is 4 foot 9. Two inches shorter than Sterling at 101. Her twin is wrestling 101. I saw some weigh in info earlier in the year and she weighed in at 110 for 116.

Felicity earlier in the calendar year was still wrestling at 116....though same weigh in I saw with Brianna, Felicity weighed in at 123.

I think (no real knowledge) is Brianna and Felicity are wrestling up due the injury and we have not yet had anyone step up and be dominant at 123 and 130.

In international wrestling Mir is wrestling around 150.

Reactions: WildTurk
It is highly likely that the Hawks will be ranked 1-2 at 143, 1-2 at 155 and 1-3 at 170.

Curious as who you have as the 3rd at 170....unless you are counting Rose who I would assume is a red shirt at this point.

Edit: I believe that this would count as an Olympic Red Shirt for Rose

Last edited:
Great match by Dias...she was in a bad spot and prevented them from getting a team point

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT