ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Women's Basketball Recruiting Offer/Commitment List

With the lack of 2023 targets and with our local targeted recruits committing elsewhere leads me to my prediction that Warnock, Martin, and Marshall are all gonna take the extra covid year. (I have no inside info just a prediction).
I agree. I think that was part of the shift that made not taking many recruits in 2023 possible. It also could boost our 2024 recruiting pitch because we're going to be losing 4 starters. Talented incoming freshman could have a shot at significant playing time in 2024/2025.

Well that's completely out of left field.

She averaged 18.6ppg, 3.8rpg, and 4.7apg last year. She only shot 28% from three last year, but shot 39.5% and 38.0% the two seasons prior. She also averaged 1.3 steals per game last year (and 1.7 her sophomore season), so there might be some defensive potential.

She's listed at 5'7', so I'd guess she'll be a backup 1/2. She should have 2 seasons of eligibility if she takes the extra Covid year. Hopefully her shooting returns to form from her freshman and sophomore seasons where she was a plus shooter.

Depth at PG certainly isn't a bad thing, but not sure this transfer significantly increases the team's ceiling either. It also likely means fewer minutes available for McCabe.

Does this mean someone is leaving or is she getting that last scholarship? Wonder if Raina originally recruited her to central mich.

Reactions: crstuff
Good player. Shoots it well from deep & goes off the dribble too. You may recall her playing in the NCAA tournament 1st round game against Iowa 2 years ago.

She averaged 18.6ppg, 3.8rpg, and 4.7apg last year. She only shot 28% from three last year, but shot 39.5% and 38.0% the two seasons prior. She also averaged 1.3 steals per game last year (and 1.7 her sophomore season), so there might be some defensive potential.

She's listed at 5'7', so I'd guess she'll be a backup 1/2. She should have 2 seasons of eligibility if she takes the extra Covid year. Hopefully her shooting returns to form from her freshman and sophomore seasons where she was a plus shooter.

Depth at PG certainly isn't a bad thing, but not sure this transfer significantly increases the team's ceiling either. It also likely means fewer minutes available for McCabe.
In my opinion, I think she will just be Caitlin's proper PG backup. McCabe and Marshall will be the at the 2 position

I’m a fan of the move because it means Bluder is trying to raise the ceiling of team, even though it runs the risk of undermining team chemistry. With a once-in-a-generation player on board, it’s time to take a risk. Also, if the pecking order was Carr then Davis, seems like the correct evaluation.

Molly Davis is followed by coaches at Miss State, Minnesota, Virginia, Southeast Missouri St, Lipscomb, Youngstown St, Bradley, TCU, Clemson, Providence, UMass, Colorado St, Illinois and Denver.

Curious how many of those were interested in her in the portal.

Molly Davis is followed by coaches at Miss State, Minnesota, Virginia, Southeast Missouri St, Lipscomb, Youngstown St, Bradley, TCU, Clemson, Providence, UMass, Colorado St, Illinois and Denver.

Curious how many of those were interested in her in the portal.
If I have my math right, including Iowa, 2/15 of the teams following/interested in her played in the 2022 NCAA tourney (Iowa and UMASS). While I am a fan of this pickup, this suggests that Davis is an Iowa-level athlete, not an upgrade. A more athletic pg with her scoring would have better options and follows.

If I have my math right, including Iowa, 2/15 of the teams following/interested in her played in the 2022 NCAA tourney (Iowa and UMASS). While I am a fan of this pickup, this suggests that Davis is an Iowa-level athlete, not an upgrade. A more athletic pg with her scoring would have better options and follows.
I like it. Hard to find a quality transfer who is willing to be a much needed backup.

Davis a solid athlete. The schools pursuing only show teams with a need at PG. Illinois and Minnesota are dumpster fires but had very good athletes that entered the portal.

She lacks size but she can shoot, defend and get to the rim. Very quick and has great vision. Probably similar to a Kathleen Doyle but shorter.

She will be a backup PG and SG. She adds depth and can come in as a 2nd ball handler. The offense was sorely missing players with driving capability and Davis adds that.

Iowa will be able to defend/attack the rim much more aggressively especially Caitlin as there will be less concern of what does Iowa do if Clark fouls out.

Not suggesting that Davis is equal to Clark, but the dropoff is far less severe. And as I said earlier it's much harder to faceguard Clark when there's another G on the court who can attack the rim.

Backup PG was a position of need so in that regard it is an upgrade because she will undoubtedly fill that role better than any G we currently have on the roster.

Probably similar to a Kathleen Doyle but shorter.
Similar athleticism to Doyle? Really? Hope so. If Doyle and Clark raced from half court to the baseline while dribbling, who wins? My vote is Doyle. Is that wrong? If Davis is anywhere close to Doyle in terms of speed/quickness while dribbling, I will be impressed.

Reactions: bowlhawk
Similar athleticism to Doyle? Really? Hope so. If Doyle and Clark raced from half court to the baseline while dribbling, who wins? My vote is Doyle. Is that wrong? If Davis is anywhere close to Doyle in terms of speed/quickness while dribbling, I will be impressed.
She is quick. Not sure as fast as Doyle/Clark but not slow either. And she does have that ability to change gears when she drives. The Athletic had her ranked as one of the top guards in the transfer portal with a #9 overall ranking.

Her skillset is very similar to Doyle as well as her style of play.

Reactions: jockos
She is quick. Not sure as fast as Doyle/Clark but not slow either. And she does have that ability to change gears when she drives. The Athletic had her ranked as one of the top guards in the transfer portal with a #9 overall ranking.

Her skillset is very similar to Doyle as well as her style of play.

I remain a skeptic of this comparison, but hope you are proven right.

My guess is that athleticism, more than anything else, explains why Blue Star had Doyle rated as the # 20 player in the country her senior year in high school. Molly Davis, in contrast, was unrated by Blue Star, but rated # 397 by ASGR. While high school ratings don't count for much with Davis having played 3 years of college, her stats on HerHoopsStats do not scream athleticism. For example, while an imperfect stat, her defensive win share ranks at CMU are 31% her first year, and 2% the last two seasons. Doyle's defensive win share ranks her four years were 78%, 65%, 68% and 52%. When I look at the rest of Davis' stats, she looks like a stereotypical Bluder player, i.e. she has very good raw assist numbers, a 98% ranking this year, and terrible raw turnover numbers, pulling down a 1% ranking this year. Her assist-to-turnover ratio was 1.15 this year, which is simply poor.

Reactions: undersized_post
I can’t imagine Lisa and staff would bring in a transfer that they did not feel would be an upgrade. I always felt a major deficiency of the team was a lack of a second ball handler.
Agree. I think some of Clark's TOs were
a result of fatigue and it could allow her to set at the 3 pt line and wait for the pass.

Davis a solid athlete. The schools pursuing only show teams with a need at PG. Illinois and Minnesota are dumpster fires but had very good athletes that entered the portal.

She lacks size but she can shoot, defend and get to the rim. Very quick and has great vision. Probably similar to a Kathleen Doyle but shorter.

She will be a backup PG and SG. She adds depth and can come in as a 2nd ball handler. The offense was sorely missing players with driving capability and Davis adds that.

Iowa will be able to defend/attack the rim much more aggressively especially Caitlin as there will be less concern of what does Iowa do if Clark fouls out.

Not suggesting that Davis is equal to Clark, but the dropoff is far less severe. And as I said earlier it's much harder to faceguard Clark when there's another G on the court who can attack the rim.

Backup PG was a position of need so in that regard it is an upgrade because she will undoubtedly fill that role better than any G we currently have on the roster.
This! You hit the nail on the head.

This! You hit the nail on the head.
I hope backup PG is her role, She should be able to get 10-15 minutes a game there with 10 minutes backing up clark, and maybe 5 playing beside. It add protection against injury, offense when Clark is out, and another player who can get their own shot. I'm not sure how it affects team dynamics otherwise. The roster is full and I doubt everyone can stay happy. might need some redshirts, but not many players are in great position to red-shirt.

I hope backup PG is her role, She should be able to get 10-15 minutes a game there with 10 minutes backing up clark, and maybe 5 playing beside. It add protection against injury, offense when Clark is out, and another player who can get their own shot. I'm not sure how it affects team dynamics otherwise. The roster is full and I doubt everyone can stay happy. might need some redshirts, but not many players are in great position to red-shirt.
I'm afraid it screams of end of year transfers, especially if COVID years are used after this year, and fans need to be ready for 3-4 of those to occur from younger players. 15 on a team is not sustainable or a good situation, from a player's perspective.

At this point it screams of "Maybe's." Maybe bringing in Davis will push Gabbie to work harder on her weak points. Maybe Sydney will greatly improve a lot over the summer. Maybe McCabe will come in and tear it up. Maybe Davis won't see much playing time and leave after this coming year. Maybe the younger players will improve to the point the seniors are not invited back for their covid year. At least there is more added depth at our weakest spot, guard, mainly PG.

I'm afraid it screams of end of year transfers, especially if COVID years are used after this year, and fans need to be ready for 3-4 of those to occur from younger players. 15 on a team is not sustainable or a good situation, from a player's perspective.
So be it. Once a Hawk always Hawk. I like kids not afraid of competition.

Reactions: Schwick
At this point it screams of "Maybe's." Maybe bringing in Davis will push Gabbie to work harder on her weak points. Maybe Sydney will greatly improve a lot over the summer. Maybe McCabe will come in and tear it up. Maybe Davis won't see much playing time and leave after this coming year. Maybe the younger players will improve to the point the seniors are not invited back for their covid year. At least there is more added depth at our weakest spot, guard, mainly PG.
The good news is that these maybes mean we have a quality roster with plenty of options. Some of our border rivals (Minnesota, Illinois, and Wisconsin) are wondering if maybe they'll make an NCAA Tournament in the next few years.

I know the Creighton loss was painful, but we should remember that the success we had even this year is far more than many teams have had in a long time.

Sorry if it has been discussed earlier in this tread (don't have time to go back and look through all 17 pages right now), but can anyone tell me if the Murray daughter is a high-level D-1 recruit? Is Bluder looking at her at all?
don’t have your answer but wanted to add a question….. “ what class is Maddie Greenway in?”

now that we took a 5’7” transfer guard looks like maybe her height isn’t a huge deal to Bluder

ADVERTISEMENT