ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Women's Basketball Recruiting Offer/Commitment List

did you read the thread title?? 😂😂

it literally says recruitment /offer list…. wtf man…..
Which would lead one to think you'll see a list of players that Iowa has offered, and who has committed to play here.
It's not a big deal--I'm more lamenting the state of society where everyone feels the need to let everyone else know every thing about their lives. The "Validate Me" generation.

Which would lead one to think you'll see a list of players that Iowa has offered, and who has committed to play here.
It's not a big deal--I'm more lamenting the state of society where everyone feels the need to let everyone else know every thing about their lives. The "Validate Me" generation.
You're posting on a social message board complaining about people looking for validation?? Your lawn is fine old man, stop yelling at the kids.

you’re right it isn’t a big deal….and this thread has been going quite awhile without bickering…. we should keep it that way

my understanding is that the players receiving other offers were players Iowa has interest in and Kyle is updating their other offers….that’s of interest to those following recruiting

given the lack of attention the women’s team gets in the media compared to the men….. Kyle’s information and updates are appreciated by many of us

you’re right it isn’t a big deal….and this thread has been going quite awhile without bickering…. we should keep it that way

my understanding is that the players receiving other offers were players Iowa has interest in and Kyle is updating their other offers….that’s of interest to those following recruiting

given the lack of attention the women’s team gets in the media compared to the men….. Kyle’s information and updates are appreciated by many of us
I think he was upset about the actual kids tweeting out every offer they get, thinking it's a bunch of "look at me" kids reaching for validation. What's silly is every college team has a message board of losers like us with moderators trying to confirm offers and visits, so a quick tweet of an offer is actually saving said football player from having to talk to reporters to confirm offers. So it's not that kids think every detail of their life is important, it's people who subscribe to recruiting message boards that think those details are important.

What Kyle said. I read an article this spring where either Jan or Lisa was talking about Hannah Stuelke's recruitment, and they said they offered her when she was a freshman. And that they don't like to offer that young because you never know how they will develope from there on, but in Hannah case it was all positive. And as for Maddie I don't see her making a commitment unless she is sure that Iowa will not offer.

Reactions: Torg and natchrlman
I think he was upset about the actual kids tweeting out every offer they get, thinking it's a bunch of "look at me" kids reaching for validation. What's silly is every college team has a message board of losers like us with moderators trying to confirm offers and visits, so a quick tweet of an offer is actually saving said football player from having to talk to reporters to confirm offers. So it's not that kids think every detail of their life is important, it's people who subscribe to recruiting message boards that think those details are important.
yep I totally misunderstood his complaint…. apologies to all…. the mood on these boards gets a little surly in the offseason…..
…… and in season 😂

Reactions: UptownHawk
In response to the question about why kids tweet about their offers above, in my experience with my daughter, the kids are often HIGHLY encouraged by the coaches to share the offer message on their social media feeds. The schools want it known who they have offered and the splash that comes with it. Just our experience.

As far as Greenway goes, there is absolutely no reason to offer her until you know what you have. She has said Iowa is her dream school and she will commit on the spot if/when offered. In the meantime the staff can continue to evaluate whether or not she grows and how her game continues to improve. This also allows the staff the ability to big game hunting on higher rated prospects.

You're only going to see the announcement if you follow the player on Twitter (which implies interest in the person already) or you're reading an "Iowa Women's Basketball Recruiting Offer/Commitment List" which implies you care about the players Iowa is offering and Iowa's competition for those players. It's not like the players are walking down the street with a bullhorn.

You're only going to see the announcement if you follow the player on Twitter (which implies interest in the person already) or you're reading an "Iowa Women's Basketball Recruiting Offer/Commitment List" which implies you care about the players Iowa is offering and Iowa's competition for those players. It's not like the players are walking down the street with a bullhorn.
I get it, and again, I'm not trying to make a huge deal out of it. It's today's world and is what it is. Just grumpy old man stuff.

In response to the question about why kids tweet about their offers above, in my experience with my daughter, the kids are often HIGHLY encouraged by the coaches to share the offer message on their social media feeds. The schools want it known who they have offered and the splash that comes with it. Just our experience.
That's actually interesting to hear about the schools/coaches. And best of luck to you and your daughter on her search!

As far as Greenway goes, there is absolutely no reason to offer her until you know what you have. She has said Iowa is her dream school and she will commit on the spot if/when offered. In the meantime the staff can continue to evaluate whether or not she grows and how her game continues to improve. This also allows the staff the ability to big game hunting on higher rated prospects.
I think holding back the offer also pushes Maddyn to work harder to become a better player, and when she finally receives the offer, it will be a validation of all her efforts and that she finally earns it.

ESPN updated their rankings and now Sahara Williams is at #22 and a bottom 5-star... Sucks that we couldn't grab her
Right up there with Kiah Stokes as an in-state recruiting loss. Lisa/Jan have such a hard time attracting players who can help cure Iowa’s near perennial rebounding and defensive weaknesses. Stuelke is cause for optimism in this regard, but Stuelke and Williams in successive years would have been nice.

Right up there with Kiah Stokes as an in-state recruiting loss. Lisa/Jan have such a hard time attracting players who can help cure Iowa’s near perennial rebounding and defensive weaknesses. Stuelke is cause for optimism in this regard, but Stuelke and Williams in successive years would have been nice.
Is Journey Houston the next "must get" Iowa prep out there?

Reactions: BGHAWK and crstuff
Is Journey Houston the next "must get" Iowa prep out there?
Would guess so, but should know more after the summer. Her early Michigan offer suggests she may be an athletic step up from the usual Iowa recruit.

Not sure I understand what you’re saying AMAYS as Iowa WBB has been historically much better than Mich. Are you also saying she is too athletic for Iowa ?

Not sure I understand what you’re saying AMAYS as Iowa WBB has been historically much better than Mich. Are you also saying she is too athletic for Iowa ?
Fair question(s). While Michigan has historically been a poor WBB team, which Iowa has owned, Kim Barnes Arico has capitalized on Michigan's recent success to successfully upgrade their recruiting of highly-regarded athletic players sought by schools known for their athletic play. Their '21 class includes Laila Phelia (offered by OSU as a freshman playing on the same team as Gabbie Marshall) and Arianna Wiggins (offers include Maryland and South Carolina). Their '22 class includes Kate Clarke (offers include Maryland and Georgia Tech under Nell Fortner) and Alyssa Crocket (offers include Maryland and Louisville). Their '23 class includes Katy Eidle (offers include Maryland). Not all of Michigan's recent recruits have similar high-level offers, but it is still really impressive how Michigan has completely upgraded its recent recruiting. Michigan has similarly capitalized on its recent success to snag highly-sought transfers such as Leigha Brown and Greta Kampschroeder (though I'm skeptical about how this last one will work out).

Against the background of Michigan's recent interest in and successful recruitment of athletic players, I took their early offer to Journey Houston to indicate that she may very well be the kind of athlete that Iowa struggles to recruit. If she wasn't that kind of athlete, what else would explain the recent offer? She isn't known as a great shooter. Also, with the exception of Caitlin Clark, when you look at Iowa's signees over say the last 10 years, they rarely, if ever, have offers from schools like Maryland, Ohio State, Louisville or other schools that frequently secure high-level athletes.

Finally, the uptick in Michigan's WBB recruiting makes me jealous and wonder if Iowa is going to get any recruiting lift from the Caitlin Clark era. IMO that is a completely open question at this point.

Last edited:
Reactions: undersized_post
I think holding back the offer also pushes Maddyn to work harder to become a better player, and when she finally receives the offer, it will be a validation of all her efforts and that she finally earns it.
I get what you are saying to an extent, but by all indications she has and does work extremely hard already. And she could continue to work very hard and get better, but not get an offer if she ends up just not growing or having the physical attributes to be a Big 10 caliber player. I don't think Bluder is withholding an offer to see if she will "really work for it," they haven't offered yet because they don't need to. If she was ranked in the Top 10 for her class, they would have offered her already.

Regarding the capitalization of having CC... I think they've already missed that boat in regards to high schoolers.

Reactions: BGHAWK
Regarding the capitalization of having CC... I think they've already missed that boat in regards to high schoolers.
how so? Honest question…. I usually agree with you but in this case I’m not sure….

doesn’t it seem like our recruiting classes have been trending better since Meagen G’s time here now Monica and Caitlin are balling out

Seems the Iowa women’s program has gained a lot more notoriety nationally the last several years…. that can’t hurt recruiting

Disclaimer: the only Iowa women’s recruiting news I get is from this page for the most part

Fair question(s). While Michigan has historically been a poor WBB team, which Iowa has owned, Kim Barnes Arico has capitalized on Michigan's recent success to successfully upgrade their recruiting of highly-regarded athletic players sought by schools known for their athletic play. Their '21 class includes Laila Phelia (offered by OSU as a freshman playing on the same team as Gabbie Marshall) and Arianna Wiggins (offers include Maryland and South Carolina). Their '22 class includes Kate Clarke (offers include Maryland and Georgia Tech under Nell Fortner) and Alyssa Crocket (offers include Maryland and Louisville). Their '23 class includes Katy Eidle (offers include Maryland). Not all of Michigan's recent recruits have similar high-level offers, but it is still really impressive how Michigan has completely upgraded its recent recruiting. Michigan has similarly capitalized on its recent success to snag highly-sought transfers such as Leigha Brown and Greta Kampschroeder (though I'm skeptical about how this last one will work out).

Against the background of Michigan's recent interest in and successful recruitment of athletic players, I took their early offer to Journey Houston to indicate that she may very well be the kind of athlete that Iowa struggles to recruit. If she wasn't that kind of athlete, what else would explain the recent offer? She isn't known as a great shooter. Also, with the exception of Caitlin Clark, when you look at Iowa's signees over say the last 10 years, they rarely, if ever, have offers from schools like Maryland, Ohio State, Louisville or other schools that frequently secure high-level athletes.

Finally, the uptick in Michigan's WBB recruiting makes me jealous and wonder if Iowa is going to get any recruiting lift from the Caitlin Clark era. IMO that is a completely open question at this point.

Recruiting Improvement- I've argued this before, but I think Iowa has seen recruiting improvements since Clark committed. The Makenzie Meyer and Kathleen Doyle class of 2016 was a highly ranked class. After that class, the classes of 2017, 2018, 2019, and 2020 only had 2 or 3 players ranked in the Top 100 by any service (Clark and Warnock for sure, Jinaya Houston was before my time covering the team, so I don't remember if she was ranked). Every player in the 2021 and 2022 classes has been rated in the Top 100 by at least 1 service. Some of those players aren't the most athletic, but athleticism isn't the only trait needed for basketball. Iowa has beaten plenty of teams that were more athletic including Michigan.

Covid Considerations- I think Covid had a significant impact on Iowa's recruiting. Atmosphere is a big selling point for Iowa, both the close bond between the players and coaches and the fan environment of Carver. In Caitlin's first year there were no fans in the stands. Recruiting visits were limited. Fan interest only really spiked towards the end of last season. If not for Covid, that might have happened in the 2020-2021 season, and Iowa would've been better positioned with the 2023 class.

Limited Recruiting Area- Part of the reason Iowa doesn't often land players with offers from Maryland, Louisville, and Ohio State is that we often don't recruit the same players. Coach Bluder focuses almost exclusively on recruits from the Midwest with a heavy emphasis on Iowa and border states. Our current roster has 15 players. 11 come from Iowa or border states, 3 from Michigan or Ohio, and O'Grady is from Colorado (though I believe she has family originally from Iowa).

Ohio State's 2021-2022 roster had 0 players from Iowa or states that border Iowa (most were from Ohio). Louisville's had 1 (from South Dakota). Michigan's had 1 (from Illinois). Maryland's 2022-2023 roster currently has 0 players from Iowa or states that border Iowa.

We can certainly argue whether Coach Bluder should be pursuing more players from Michigan, Ohio, or further abroad. But we should also acknowledge that 1) it's easier to land commits from players close to your school, and 2) in the transfer portal era it's harder to keep players who aren't from close to home.

Recruiting Improvement- I've argued this before, but I think Iowa has seen recruiting improvements since Clark committed. The Makenzie Meyer and Kathleen Doyle class of 2016 was a highly ranked class. After that class, the classes of 2017, 2018, 2019, and 2020 only had 2 or 3 players ranked in the Top 100 by any service (Clark and Warnock for sure, Jinaya Houston was before my time covering the team, so I don't remember if she was ranked). Every player in the 2021 and 2022 classes has been rated in the Top 100 by at least 1 service. Some of those players aren't the most athletic, but athleticism isn't the only trait needed for basketball. Iowa has beaten plenty of teams that were more athletic including Michigan.

Covid Considerations- I think Covid had a significant impact on Iowa's recruiting. Atmosphere is a big selling point for Iowa, both the close bond between the players and coaches and the fan environment of Carver. In Caitlin's first year there were no fans in the stands. Recruiting visits were limited. Fan interest only really spiked towards the end of last season. If not for Covid, that might have happened in the 2020-2021 season, and Iowa would've been better positioned with the 2023 class.

Limited Recruiting Area- Part of the reason Iowa doesn't often land players with offers from Maryland, Louisville, and Ohio State is that we often don't recruit the same players. Coach Bluder focuses almost exclusively on recruits from the Midwest with a heavy emphasis on Iowa and border states. Our current roster has 15 players. 11 come from Iowa or border states, 3 from Michigan or Ohio, and O'Grady is from Colorado (though I believe she has family originally from Iowa).

Ohio State's 2021-2022 roster had 0 players from Iowa or states that border Iowa (most were from Ohio). Louisville's had 1 (from South Dakota). Michigan's had 1 (from Illinois). Maryland's 2022-2023 roster currently has 0 players from Iowa or states that border Iowa.

We can certainly argue whether Coach Bluder should be pursuing more players from Michigan, Ohio, or further abroad. But we should also acknowledge that 1) it's easier to land commits from players close to your school, and 2) in the transfer portal era it's harder to keep players who aren't from close to home.
Similar to football, there is often a debate between offers and recruiting ratings. On the offer side, with the exception of Caitlin, I have yet to see much of an improvement in recruiting. AJ Ediger is a good example here. Top 100 rated, from Michigan, with offers from Western Michigan, Iowa, Oakland, Illinois State, Illinois, Nebraska and Xavier. That offer list speaks volumes about her athleticism. BraydonRoberts5 makes a good point that there is more to basketball than athleticism, and Iowa does a great job with a relatively unathletic collection (and also a great job with evaluation and development). Still, Iowa could stand to up its game in its recruitment of more athletic players.

BraydonRoberts5 also makes a fair point about Iowa's recruiting territory and border states. But even there, from the vantage point of offers, Iowa has yet to up its game and secure commitments from recruits who are also prized by schools that put a premium on athleticism. Illinois is a good example. Last year, Iowa signed Sydney Affolter, a Chicago area guard with Big Ten offers from Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska, Michigan State and Illinois, but no Maryland, OSU, SEC or ACC schools. Affolter's offer list is also similar to Iowa's last 2 high school recruits from Illinois: Kate Martin (Wisconsin, Illinois, DePaul and St. Louis offers); and Kathleen Doyle (offers include Wisconsin, Indiana, Marquette, Vanderbilt and Nebraska). Their offer lists stand in contrast to the offer lists of 5 of Iowa's targets in Illinois for 2023:

Lisa Thompson (Joliet, IL) - offers include Maryland, OSU, ND, North Carolina, with finalists BC, Depaul, FSU, MSU, Mississippi State, NC State
Jordan Wood (Mundelein, IL) - MSU commit with offers from Kentucky, North Carolina, OSU
Katy Eidle (Arlington Heights, IL) -Michigan commit with offers including from Maryland
Jasmine Brown (Frankfort, IL) - undecided with offers including OSU, ND, North Carolina, but Iowa may be out of the running
Lenee Beaumont (Lisle, IL) - Indiana commit with offers including Tennessee, Oklahoma

Unfortunately for Iowa, it seems like Iowa has missed on the above 5 Illinois targets. For me, evidence of improved recruiting by Iowa will be clear when it can secure a recruit with an offer list like those immediately above. In terms of Illinois '23 targets, Iowa is apparently left with Kennise Johnson-Etienne (Plainfield, IL). Her other offers are apparently Seton Hall, Illinois State, Cleveland State, SMU, Bradley, William & Mary, Oakland, Michigan State and Illinois Chicago. Until proven otherwise, that looks like the list of a player who might choose to come and play for Lisa/Jan.

Last edited:
Similar to football, there is often a debate between offers and recruiting ratings. On the offer side, with the exception of Caitlin, I have yet to see much of an improvement in recruiting. AJ Ediger is a good example here. Top 100 rated, from Michigan, with offers from Western Michigan, Iowa, Oakland, Illinois State, Illinois, Nebraska and Xavier. That offer list speaks volumes about her athleticism. BraydonRoberts5 makes a good point that there is more to basketball than athleticism, and Iowa does a great job with a relatively unathletic collection (and also a great job with evaluation and development). Still, Iowa could stand to up its game in its recruitment of more athletic players.

BraydonRoberts5 also makes a fair point about Iowa's recruiting territory and border states. But even there, from the vantage point of offers, Iowa has yet to up its game and secure commitments from recruits who are also prized by schools that put a premium on athleticism. Illinois is a good example. Last year, Iowa signed Sydney Affolter, a Chicago area guard with Big Ten offers from Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska, Michigan State and Illinois, but no Maryland, OSU, SEC or ACC schools. Affolter's offer list is also similar to Iowa's last 2 high school recruits from Illinois: Kate Martin (Wisconsin, Illinois, DePaul and St. Louis offers); and Kathleen Doyle (offers include Wisconsin, Indiana, Marquette, Vanderbilt and Nebraska). Their offer lists stand in contrast to the offer lists of 5 of Iowa's targets in Illinois for 2023:

Lisa Thompson (Joliet, IL) - offers include Maryland, OSU, ND, North Carolina, with finalists BC, Depaul, FSU, MSU, Mississippi State, NC State
Jordan Wood (Mundelein, IL) - MSU commit with offers from Kentucky, North Carolina, OSU
Katy Eidle (Arlington Heights, IL) -Michigan commit with offers including from Maryland
Jasmine Brown (Frankfort, IL) - undecided with offers including OSU, ND, North Carolina, but Iowa may be out of the running
Lenee Beaumont (Lisle, IL) - Indiana commit with offers including Tennessee, Oklahoma

Unfortunately for Iowa, it seems like Iowa has missed on the above 5 Illinois targets. For me, evidence of improved recruiting by Iowa will be clear when it can secure a recruit with an offer list like those immediately above. In terms of Illinois '23 targets, Iowa is apparently left with Kennise Johnson-Etienne (Plainfield, IL). Her other offers are apparently Seton Hall, Illinois State, Cleveland State, SMU, Bradley, William & Mary, Oakland, Michigan State and Illinois Chicago. Until proven otherwise, that looks like the list of a player who might choose to come and play for Lisa/Jan.
I think Iowa is still in the mix for Jasmine Brown. I don't know that they're the favorite but I think they're in the top group. Abby Stamp went to watch her at the USA U18 trials in Colorado a week or so ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: AMAYS
I think Iowa is still in the mix for Jasmine Brown. I don't know that they're the favorite but I think they're in the top group. Abbey Stamp went to watch her at the USA U17 trials in Colorado a week or so ago.
Good news about Brown.

A couple more thoughts for the discussion:

Offer Lists: Similar to football, I don't think we can view offer lists as the be all end all of recruiting (similar to Top 100 lists). Iowa football is known for taking players with few P5 offers and turning them into great players. Similarly, Kate Martin, Gabbie Marshall, and Monika Czinano have all played well beyond the quality of their respective offer lists. I recall a Tweet from this past season that said that Iowa was the only P5 school that even asked about Monika during her sophomore season.

Illinois 2023 Players: I'm not sure analyzing this group (not counting Brown since she hasn't committed and Iowa is apparently still interested) tells us a whole lot.

Wood clearly didn't have the prestige of a school or recent success high on her reasons for committing. Michigan State is a decent program, but is in a tier below Iowa, Ohio State, and North Carolina.

Ditto for Thompson. Her finalists are all over the map, but didn't include Maryland, Ohio State, or Notre Dame, which are schools pretty clearly better than all of her finalists but NC State right now.

Eidle committed before last season started. At that point, Michigan had just as much hype as Iowa did in terms of team success and anticipating another good season.

Beaumont seems like the biggest miss of the group since she went to the same school and plays the same position as Kathleen Doyle, but it's not clear how much of a priority Beaumont was either.

Recruiting Area Again- Finally, I think it's worth mentioning that Iowa is the best program in Iowa/border states right now, and other than Iowa State, most schools aren't particularly close. If a player has an offer list from every school in or bordering Iowa, we wouldn't think it's all that impressive. Schools like Ohio State and Maryland do make offers to players in Iowa/border states, but 1) they don't focus on the region like Iowa does, and 2) they don't appear to be having any more success with those players than Iowa is.

Iowa will most likely take only 1 recruit in the 2023 class as Lisa currently has 15 players for next year and It is also possible some combination of Gabby, Warnock, or Kate will elect to return for the COVID year. The real test will be for the 2024 recruiting class and will be the class that arrives when Clark is gone. Callie Levin from Solon has already committed and they are spending most of their effort with the 2024 class. Levin is very good and they are in on several excellent prospects. I expect the 2024 class recruited by Lisa will be very good. The staff is disappointed in losing Sahara Williams but not so much in losing Audi Crooks. Patience my Hawk friends.

If this internet thing was around when I was being recruited I would have put my offers out as well. Don’t think the generations are much different (on this item) they just have the forum to broadcast it widely.

ADVERTISEMENT