ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Women's Basketball Recruiting Offer/Commitment List

Signing day today reminded me that we still have more commitments in the 2024 class than the 2023 class. Having no commits in 2023 is somewhat unusual at this point, because Iowa has tended to get commitments fairly early in recent classes.

Do we think that the 2023 class will be smaller than normal? Perhaps due to the roster crunch created by current players getting an extra season. Or has Covid just slowed down the normal timeline for the 2023 class?

If I had to guess, I think it might be the Covid timeline reason. Most of those players in that 2023 class wouldn't have visited before Covid, unless they camped at Iowa. I'm guessing most will try and make some gameday visits and then potentially commit in the spring after in-home visits.

I would put the number at 3 for 2023. The most mutual interest at this point seems to be Audi Crooks, Sahara Williams, and Kennise Johnson-Etienne. A guard, forward, and post makes sense to me. Jasmine Brown, Macy Brown, and Lenee Beaumont have some interest as well. I think Iowa is also recruiting Taylor Woodson in that class, but finding any information on her recruiting is nearly impossible.

As far as players returning, this is purely speculation, but I could see any of the current juniors returning for an extra year. Especially Kate Martin, given her connection to the program and how highly they view her leadership.

Last edited:
Hadn’t heard of this site before, but it ranks Iowa’s ‘22 signees as follows:

#22 Iowa:

Hannah Stuelke- #44

Jada Gyamfi- #70

Taylor McCabe- #94
They have Ndjakalenga ranked as #16, TX recruit. She played on the same AAU team as Stuelke and Gymfi. Both played ahead of Ndjakalenga. Don't believe everything you read.

Reactions: AMAYS
If I had to guess, I think it might be the Covid timeline reason. Most of those players in that 2023 wouldn't have visited before Covid, unless they camped at Iowa. I'm guessing most will try and make some gameday visits and then potentially commit in the spring after in-home visits.

I would put the number at 3 for 2023. The most mutual interest at this point seems to be Audi Crooks, Sahara Williams, and Kennise Johnson-Etienne. A guard, forward, and post makes sense to me. Jasmine Brown, Macy Brown, and Lenee Beaumont have some interest as well. I think Iowa is also recruiting Taylor Woodson in that class, but finding any information on her recruiting is nearly impossible.

As far as players returning, this is purely speculation, but I could see any of the current juniors returning for an extra year. Especially Kate Martin, given her connection to the program and how highly they view her leadership.
I would think Kate would be the least likely to return given that she's already had a medical redshirt. She might be ready to graduate at this point and start the next chapter of her life. It would be nice because she is such a great leader but I'm not sure it's in her plans. Do we know what her grad school plans are? She will graduate this year. If she decides to take the grad school route she could come back and play her redshirt sr year and then a COVID year. But there's no guarantee she comes back for next season at this point. It might be something to ask Bluder as we get closer to the end of the season.

Don’t know if Iowa is still in it with Olivia Olson but she recently played Maddyn Greenway. Lots of talent on the floor in this game. Greenway/Providence won.

I assume Olson is still Iowa's top target in the 2024 class. I think landing her (or another high level player in that class) is fairly important for Iowa to take the next step and be a perennial contender.

I hope Maddyn grows a few inches in the next few years. Driving looks like a big part of her game. If she doesn't grow, it's going to be tough for her to finish at the basket in college. Her game looks very impressive for her age, though, and Iowa seems like a virtual lock assuming the coaches are interested.

Reactions: hawkahawk
I assume Olson is still Iowa's top target in the 2024 class. I think landing her (or another high level player in that class) is fairly important for Iowa to take the next step and be a perennial contender.

I hope Maddyn grows a few inches in the next few years. Driving looks like a big part of her game. If she doesn't grow, it's going to be tough for her to finish at the basket in college. Her game looks very impressive for her age, though, and Iowa seems like a virtual lock assuming the coaches are interested.
What is her current height?

given her genetics I’d be surprised if she doesn’t

Have to see if I can get to another game to watch her.

I would say the same about Affolter this season. Unfortunately she can't get off the bench. Bluder really likes to play starters 30+ minutes and for some reason Logan Cook is getting the backup minutes right now at the 4.

I've seen Stuelke play several time and she is very talented, but like i said before, I said the same thing about Affolter, so who knows.

A lot may come down to if Monika C. comes back next year. If she doesn't, that will open up a lot of minutes in the post.

Reactions: undersized_post
I can understand why Cook gets time and don't begrudge her being part of the rotation. I also, don't sit in on practices, however based on what she has done in games so far, I would like to see Affolter get some meaningful minutes.

Reactions: crstuff
I would say the same about Affolter this season. Unfortunately she can't get off the bench. Bluder really likes to play starters 30+ minutes and for some reason Logan Cook is getting the backup minutes right now at the 4.

I've seen Stuelke play several time and she is very talented, but like i said before, I said the same thing about Affolter, so who knows.

A lot may come down to if Monika C. comes back next year. If she doesn't, that will open up a lot of minutes in the post.
Affolter has the funkiest release on her outside shot. She does seem to have a knack for rebounding though.

I think what is holding back Kylie and Sid is their 3 point shooting. Clark, Kate, McKenna and Gabbie all can shoot it better now. With time hopefully both become a threat. It opens up the interior

How long before Chad Greenway’s daughter shows up? NFL dad and NCAA track mom, she must have good genetics. She was a 7th grader averaging 21 ppg in 18 min for varsity last year for a Minnesota 2A that lost in the state title game.
Schedule syncing up well for me potentially. Considering going to Iowa/MN WBB on Jan 20 in Minneapolis. Maddyn plays for Providence Academy on the 21st about 30 mins from the Minnesota campus.

Might have to stay the extra day and take a look.

Not sure if she has an offer yet but it looks like both Bluder and Jensen were in Bridgeport, Nebraska today to see 2023 6’3” Post Ruthie Loomis-Goltl.

Back in September. Looks like no offer from Iowa, but offers from Oklahoma St, Omaha, Kansas City, Wichita St, Colorado St, Utah State and Kansas State.

Has visited Iowa, Omaha, Wyoming, Colorado State and Oklahoma State.

Back in September. Looks like no offer from Iowa, but offers from Oklahoma St, Omaha, Kansas City, Wichita St, Colorado St, Utah State and Kansas State.

Has visited Iowa, Omaha, Wyoming, Colorado State and Oklahoma State.
Reading between the lines a bit: if she doesn't have an offer yet but the coaches are still traveling to see her mid-season, she's probably a secondary target in the event that we don't land Crooks (or any other 5 we've offered). I'd be surprised if we take two 4/5 type players given that we took two each in 2021 and 2022.

Her offer list is also interesting. Oklahoma State and Kansas State have both had some success in the last 10 years, so it's not like those are bottom level P5 offers. But why aren't Nebraska and Creighton involved (that we know about, anyway)? You'd think if your state had a P5 level player, that one of the two best schools in the state would've shown some interest.

After watching Ruthie's Sophomore highlights she seems to be athletic, I mean when she jumps both her feet actually get off the ground, has a nice jump shot, runs the court well.
Also theres 2024 recruit Olivia Loomis-Goltl 5-10 guard that seems to be pretty good maybe they might try getting two. Or maybe there not felling very good with Crooks seeing she has alot of offers. Myself I like a mobile player like Loomis-Goltl over a Crooks, but thats me.

Reactions: BGHAWK
After watching Ruthie's Sophomore highlights she seems to be athletic, I mean when she jumps both her feet actually get off the ground, has a nice jump shot, runs the court well.
Also theres 2024 recruit Olivia Loomis-Goltl 5-10 guard that seems to be pretty good maybe they might try getting two. Or maybe there not felling very good with Crooks seeing she has alot of offers. Myself I like a mobile player like Loomis-Goltl over a Crooks, but thats me.
Agreed. Crooks would seem to need a major jump to be able to play at the speed Bluder wants. The days of slow it down and feed the big in the middle are gone.

I feel the same as many of you about Crooks but she is very highly recruited by many top programs.

I feel the same as many of you about Crooks but she is very highly recruited by many top programs.
I yield to those who are paid handsomely to judge and recruit talent but I simply don’t see her working at the major college level. She won’t be able to play defense against athletic bigs like those at Maryland every year, nor be able to simply overpower them like she can now. And the play will have to wait to essentially start until she gets down the floor.
Like you say, she’s being recruited by plenty of places and their jobs depend on evaluating talent but I’ll be surprised if she’s a big contributor (no pun intended).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT